• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This shit is crazy its like I bought a game and in a few days its going to become another game all on its own.

This shit is crazy its like I bought a game and in a few days its going to become another game all on its own.

I feel like people are overreacting to this, I dont want to be the bad guy here but no real footage has been shown of this yet. I have a feeling that it will be exactly like RDRs multiplayer with more activities, which was fun but felt like you were playing in a ghost town.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
on the drop down box of crew pages where you choose the ps3/xbox/pc social club thing, this appears to have no effect. what's the deal there? Everytime I go to the Brit GAF crew page it's pre selected as ps3, which isn't what I own, but changing it does nothing.

cdkee

Banned
I feel like people are overreacting to this, I dont want to be the bad guy here but no real footage has been shown of this yet. I have a feeling that it will be exactly like RDRs multiplayer with more activities, which was fun but felt like you were playing in a ghost town.

I don't think so. R* are going all in on GTAO like they have never before.

duckroll

GTA4 -> RDR -> GTA5

Each game expands significantly on the nature of the multiplayer mode, so I don't see any reason to expect that there isn't a leap forward here. Having a persistent character and tons of original missions which can be played alone or with friends already makes GTAO a significant leap over RDR.

Three questions:

1) Have they given any visual snippets on what the character creator's going to look like? I know it's based on bloodlines and all, but I haven't seen a single hint at what the actual options / UI / etc are going to have available.

2) What will the special ability of the 4th online character be? Have they specified?

3) Does the 4th online character have a "unique vehicle" that'll respawn on a frequent basis or some sort of "preferred vehicle" option similar to Michael's car or Franklin's car and bike?

Also, I have an idea for the first mission some gaffers and I can do: Operation Cougar Town.

Basically, everyone cruises the streets of Vinewood to find a prostitute - all 16 players have a unique vehicle so it's a total of 16 prostitutes, maybe more if you can get multiple per vehicle (which I haven't tested yet). Then we all rendezvous somewhere in the uncharted wilderness where mountain lions have a high chance of spawning, get all the hookers out, and proceed to watch the ensuing brawl between the two.

Heimbeck

Banned
Yea, I was trying to create an OPTIMAL real time experience by delaying the OT for a couple of days.

My original thread title was "As bare bones as your online experience" but I liked Albatross idea better.

Albatross does seem to be the king of using GTA quotes for the OTs.

GlamFM

Banned
Three questions:

1) Have they given any visual snippets on what the character creator's going to look like? I know it's based on bloodlines and all, but I haven't seen a single hint at what the actual options / UI / etc are going to have available.

2) What will the special ability of the 4th online character be? Have they specified?

3) Does the 4th online character have a "unique vehicle" that'll respawn on a frequent basis or some sort of "preferred vehicle" option similar to Michael's car or Franklin's car and bike?

Also, I have an idea for the first mission some gaffers and I can do: Operation Cougar Town.

Basically, everyone cruises the streets of Vinewood to find a prostitute - all 16 players have a unique vehicle so it's a total of 16 prostitutes, maybe more if you can get multiple per vehicle (which I haven't tested yet). Then we all rendezvous somewhere in the uncharted wilderness where mountain lions have a high chance of spawning, get all the hookers out, and proceed to watch the ensuing brawl between the two.

1. No
2. No
3. Maybe, you can get insurance for your car - that might indicate something like this.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Since RDR's multiplayer is one of my all-time favourite online experiences, you can see why i'm excited ;)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think the vast majority of my time will be spent making races in the countryside for OPTIMAL JUMPINGNESS. Or have a race start at the top of a mountain. Roads are for suckas.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think the vast majority of my time will be spent making races in the countryside for OPTIMAL JUMPINGNESS. Or have a race start at the top of a mountain. Roads are for suckas.

Welcome back. :)

I will probably spend my time robbing all the stores with a partner to sate my Bonnie and Clyde/Badlands fetish.

Eh, they've shown the gameplay trailer which was all footage taken from -- sure -- staged playthroughs of it, but it's something. I'd be perfectly happy with a free roam mode with objectives and things to do. RDR had 5 things to do in free roam, group hideouts, but that was it.

From the impressions from CVG and others, it does sound like it's a really awesome online mode.

That said, I'm tempuring my expectations because who knows how it'll run, if it will work for weeks, and what they have unlocked when it launches. The last blog post, while honest, definitely turned down my hype for it.

I can see it now, 2 people playing tennis, match ball, pretty intense game, out of nowhere a 747...

When you play tennis or do a side activity like that (golf, etc), it makes you immune to that sort of stuff. Though ... I wonder if a 747 could still crash into your house and you'd see it or not... Unsure about that.

iJudged

Banned
When you play tennis or do a side activity like that (golf, etc), it makes you immune to that sort of stuff. Though ... I wonder if a 747 could still crash into your house and you'd see it or not... Unsure about that.
:-( I figured it would be like that, either way it will be supreme fun.

clockpunk

I was exploring the theme park promenade last night, and was thinking it would be fun if they could add-in a few more rides, and make the games/arcade machines playable (a la Bully). Scoreboards = new insta-competition. Just think setting up a race that includes having to beat a certain score on a machine as part of the challenge! ^_^

That, and paintball (so you can have shootouts with friends).

iJudged

Banned
I was exploring the theme park promenade last night, and was thinking it would be fun if they could add-in a few more rides, and make the games/arcade machines playable (a la Bully). Scoreboards = new insta-competition. Just think setting up a race that includes having to beat a certain score on a machine as part of the challenge! ^_^

That, and paintball (so you can have shootouts with friends).
Next gen GtA perhaps :)

My hopes:

The garage system is less fucked up than in SP
We don't randomly lose vehicle upgrades/customizations like we do in SP
We actually get paid for the jobs we do unlike in SP

Pennybags

My hopes:

The garage system is less fucked up than in SP
We don't randomly lose vehicle upgrades/customizations like we do in SP
We actually get paid for the jobs we do unlike in SP

Well, number 3 is guaranteed already.

Wanny said:
I have high hopes for GTA online because unfortunately I couldnt get into the SP at all...

I'm not so sure this would magically alleviate your issue if you dislike the base game.

Tawpgun

You sure? Maybe its just the more casual activities, but I know in one impression someone was in a GTA Race they made from the free roam, and in the middle of the race there was a police blockade, and it turned out another player in the lobby was on the run from the cops that went into their race course.

Could me amazing. You're 1 v 1 racing a dude and you have a friend perched on a building snipe his tires out. hehehehe

You sure? Maybe its just the more casual activities, but I know in one impression someone was in a GTA Race they made from the free roam, and in the middle of the race there was a police blockade, and it turned out another player in the lobby was on the run from the cops that went into their race course.

Could me amazing. You're 1 v 1 racing a dude and you have a friend perched on a building snipe his tires out. hehehehe

Yep, this was only confirmed for the casual side games like Tennis and Golf. But, you're right that the previews mentioned that a race can be interupted by others

I guess I don't understand what you mean. GTA is about causing mayhem and completing ridiculous missions. Now you get to do 700+ of those missions which are all new and able to play them with your friends in co-op. So...it seems more like an expansion of the campaign. So yeah, I don't think the guy is that far off by saying it's practically like a new game.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I can see it now, 2 people playing tennis, match ball, pretty intense game, out of nowhere a 747...

This just gave me a great idea. As soon as I'm able Im getting a jet, then inviting my friends into a game. Then when they spawn, I'm flying that fucker into them.

Edit: actually, planes are going to be so fun in multi. In IV everyone was mental for the three helis on the map, it's going to be a beautiful clusterfuck with a bunch of planes. 911ing people is going to become a 'thing'.

I've yet to find a 747 in SP that's driveable, doubt that they'll be "available" in MP.

You can only fly the 747s that have the 4 engines. The 2 engine 747s are not driveable for whatever reason. But it's awesome. Go to the front tire, hit Y/Triangle, and you're in. It was so great

Tawpgun

How is shooting going to be handled? Exclusively free-aim? I hope it doesn't control like SP.

If GTAIV and RDR are anything to go buy, its going to be auto aim.

What they SHOULD do as a compromise, is make it assisted aiming on AI (with an option to turn that off) and free aim on other players.

todahawk

Walk right next to it and press Y or Triangle. There is no approach or entry animation.

I know... for shame, it would be nice to at least hear some sounds of Michael/Trevor/Franklin interacting with the passengers and/or flight crew on the way to the cockpit. Even something like "Everyone out! I'm taking this fucking plane for a spin!!!"

I had a police chopper all over me the first time I stole a 747... it looked like a whale bumping and grinding with a mosquito.

edit: West Chester-GAF represent!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm honestly not expecting much from GTAO, but I'll see what's going on in the beginning. Maybe it can hook me.

The gunplay/combat is pretty clunky... can't see it being a go-to when there will be so many other games out there that aren't so wonky.

jett

D-Member
I'm really digging the quick arcadey conntrols of the jet fighter. Multi could have some fun dogfighting.

Top Bottom