• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if you'll be able to do the 'crew' missions solo. I know DM and stuff requires online, but I mean the story stuff.

breakfuss

It seems like some of the online features are slowing beginning to work? Maybe I'm only imagining things, lol. Whenever I play now, I'm alerted when a friend beats a mission score. I'm also able to see the crew emblems under some of their names. Strange.

It seems like some of the online features are slowing beginning to work? Maybe I'm only imagining things, lol. Whenever I play now, I'm alerted when a friend beats a mission score. I'm also able to see the crew emblems under some of their names. Strange.

I noticed that a few days ago. I went to the friends tab and saw my friends characters and progression.for the first time. But never got alerts though from them gaming yet..

Tawpgun

Apparently im 138 in the world for the first helo mission. And I know I could have gone faster in some areas. Dude at number 1 is insane. Did it 30 times and is like 10 seconds below me

DukeSucks

So excited for this. I'll be out of town Tues-Thurs, but servers will probably be too overloaded those days anyway.

Gaz_RB

Guys I wanna play this sooo bad.

Hype is almost as big as for GTAV itself. I just want more combat. I actually really like the shooting in GTA V, and I'm looking forward to putting it to the test in more ways than in the single player. I feel like the singe player didnt give it much time to shine and for us to really get used to it. Missions like "Hood Safari" (my favorite mission) were few and far between.

SlickVic

There will be specifically solo missions.

This is pretty cool. So I'm assuming once you select the fourth character from the wheel, you're free to roam the city by yourself and have others join you as you play if you wish. I was curious if the game would put you into a lobby before starting GTA Online and force a minimum number of players before you could start.

Saganator

So who's going to be the asshole and steal someones expensive car? ;
Pretty sure I read you can't steal player's cars, they will be locked to other players. I think you can blow up someones car and they can put a bounty on you. They talked about this in an interview but can't remember where it is.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty cool. So I'm assuming once you select the fourth character from the wheel, you're free to roam the city by yourself and have others join you as you play if you wish. I was curious if the game would put you into a lobby before starting GTA Online and force a minimum number of players before you could start.

I imagine it'll be like RDR. No lobby, just free roam.

dreamfall

So HYPED!

This is going to be so insane- got the crews ready, can't wait to start creating my girl, and then just cruising with the homies.

I hope this becomes the only game I play for years- although I figure it's going to be a rough launch for the first month or so!

is there any plan to increase the player count down the road? I just don't see 16 people being enough to achieve what they seem to be going for. You can't do role player server with 16 people

Is this confirmed? Is it lock-on/auto-aim? I figured GTA would have learned from the horrible mistake of GTAIV and RDR..

GTAIV, RDR and Max Payne all had lock-on as the normal/default mode. This will almost certainly do the same.

Even if lock-on was the alternative mode with free-aim as the default, they'd still be splitting the player-base in a game with multiple game modes and game types.

TxdoHawk

is there any plan to increase the player count down the road? I just don't see 16 people being enough to achieve what they seem to be going for.

Reliably doing more than 16 people would require dedicated servers instead of peer-to-peer setups...so not likely, no.

duckroll

Reliably doing more than 16 people would require dedicated servers instead of peer-to-peer setups...so not likely, no.

It can't be peer-to-peer. It has to be dedicated as it is. Character saves are server-side like Diablo 3 right? The limit seems to be a technical limitation of the consoles.

Gaz_RB

It can't be peer-to-peer. It has to be dedicated as it is. Character saves are server-side like Diablo 3 right? The limit seems to be a technical limitation of the consoles.

I imagine character stuff is saved on dedicated servers, but the actual multiplayer running on dedicated servers is pretty doubtful, I'm afraid.

KAP151

Im around 94% complete so I should ready to rock no roll come Online.

That is until the inevitable server melt down. I really hope the patch some of the glitches too. I really want to be able to use my Atomic Blimp....

TxdoHawk

No idea, I just assumed most stuff was client-side, the multiplayer side of things never seems to be overly secure with Rockstar's games. I remember how fast cheaters showed up on the PC version of Max Payne 3. :/

duckroll

No idea, I just assumed most stuff was client-side, the multiplayer side of things never seems to be overly secure with Rockstar's games. I remember how fast cheaters showed up on the PC version of Max Payne 3. :/

Yeah but they seem to going after something different this time. There's character creation, missions, some loose storyline, reputation and money which is persistent, etc.

Top Bottom