• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

I heard a rumor that your online character would be available is SP in a 4th character slot. He/She wouldn't have story missions but rather side missions that directly//indirectly involve Sp characters Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Haines

Banned
I heard a rumor that your online character would be available is SP in a 4th character slot. He/She wouldn't have story missions but rather side missions that directly//indirectly involve Sp characters Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Its is in the 4th player slot, but I thought going to it will just take yyou to the online game...idk

duckroll

GTA doesn't have a title screen. Toggling the 4th character slot is how you launch the online mode.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is this confirmed? Is it lock-on/auto-aim? I figured GTA would have learned from the horrible mistake of GTAIV and RDR..

I think it's almost certain, it was in MP3. R* never learn it seems. The idea of deathmatch in an open world is fantastic and it's entirely ruined by free aim. I wish R* weren't so cloistered, I would love to hear their reasons for lock on in multi. And then tell them why they're wrong.

GTAO is going to be all about driving for me anyway. Way more fun.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Apparently characters in SP will be mission-givers in multi. Sounds to me like whoever started that rumour got a bit confused.

red731

d0lphin_shake_normal.gif
d0lphin_shake_normal.gif
d0lphin_shake_normal.gif

erawsd

I think it's almost certain, it was in MP3. R* never learn it seems. The idea of deathmatch in an open world is fantastic and it's entirely ruined by free aim. I wish R* weren't so cloistered, I would love to hear their reasons for lock on in multi. And then tell them why they're wrong.

GTAO is going to be all about driving for me anyway. Way more fun.

Yeah. Would be nice if there was at least an option that could be set by the "host".

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Those asking about times for the online - my advice is pretend it launches whenever you're available on the Wednesday. Because this shit is gonna crash for sure on Tuesday. So save yourself the stress and the F5ing. Play some SP - if the online is up then yay. If it's not then no biggie.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
GTAIV, RDR and Max Payne all had lock-on as the normal/default mode. This will almost certainly do the same.

Even if lock-on was the alternative mode with free-aim as the default, they'd still be splitting the player-base in a game with multiple game modes and game types.

That's not true for Max Payne 3. It had no default setting. It just gave you the option of choosing between soft lock and free aim lobbies. It's not like GTA IV and RDR where those games threw you in to lock on by default. With that said due to the fact Rockstar even gave people an option, for some reason more people ended up playing soft lock than free aim. Though by a much lesser margin than GTA IV and RDR.

I think due to the fact single player of GTA V uses lock on as the default means they're not even going to do it the Max Payne way. Seems pretty clear they're just going to revert back to the GTA IV and RDR method and just throw you straight in to lock on as the default. In a perfect world Rockstar wouldn't even use lock on as an option in multiplayer. It's one thing providing that option in single player, but it does nothing but hurt multiplayer especially when you factor in the split player base.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
as i recall, rdr had the free aim option. i don't see why gtav could not offer that.

It may well do, but if it turns out anything like MP3 then the player base will be split; heavily biased towards lock-on. Also, RDR's free roam mixed up the aim types in free roam which made playing free aim a poor tactical choice.

That's not true for Max Payne 3. It had no default setting. It just gave you the option of choosing between soft lock and free aim lobbies. It's not like GTA IV and RDR where those games threw you in to lock on by default. With that said due to the fact Rockstar even gave people an option, for some reason more people ended up playing soft lock than free aim. Though by a much lesser margin than GTA IV and RDR.

I think due to the fact single player of GTA V uses lock on as the default means they're not even going to do it the Max Payne way. Seems pretty clear they're just going to revert back to the GTA IV and RDR method and just throw you straight in to lock on as the default. In a perfect world Rockstar wouldn't even use lock on as an option in multiplayer. It's one thing providing that option in single player, but it does nothing but hurt multiplayer especially when you factor in the split player base.

The top multi mode in MP3 is lock-on. If you just keep clicking after selecting "multiplayer" you'll end up in lock-on lobbies.

Part of the problem is the strain of thought that losing in a game is inherently bad. Instead of someone getting creative because their opponent can aim better, they just have to lock-on before the other person does. Having lock-on encourages people to only use automatic weapons while on foot and discourages getting into vehicles since lock-on works on people in cars too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The top multi mode in MP3 is lock-on. If you just keep clicking after selecting "multiplayer" you'll end up in lock-on lobbies.

Part of the problem is the strain of thought that losing in a game is inherently bad. Instead of someone getting creative because their opponent can aim better, they just have to lock-on before the other person does. Having lock-on encourages people to only use automatic weapons while on foot and discourages getting into vehicles since lock-on works on people in cars too.

I find it annoying because it doesn't level the playing field so much and flatten it and make it boring. Combat is not all about aim, it's about positioning and dodging and getting advantages. Far to often in lock-on, you have two players running at each other to get in range followed by drawing and shooting as soon as possible. It was so dumb in 4 where you'd bet into crouch-zoom fights with people becasue that would give an extra foot or two of range.

Fucking rockstar, just listen to us you bastards.

Your online character is the 4th person on the character wheel. When you switch to that character, it pulls back like switching to any character, and then brings you to your online character. The worlds, though, are distinct. GTA:O is set shortly before the events of GTAV, so any changes to the world that happen in GTAV (like in one particular early mission I'm sure almost everybody has played), will not be reflected in Online.

Characters from SP will give you missions in GTA:Online, but I'm pretty sure it's not the main protagonists from the SP game. We know you get missions from Lester and Lamar (seen it in video), and I'd expect most other NPC major characters appear to give you missions.

You're right that the online character won't really have story missions, most sound like they are side mission type activities.

I find it annoying because it doesn't level the playing field so much and flatten it and make it boring. Combat is not all about aim, it's about positioning and dodging and getting advantages. Far to often in lock-on, you have two players running at each other to get in range followed by drawing and shooting as soon as possible. It was so dumb in 4 where you'd bet into crouch-zoom fights with people becasue that would give an extra foot or two of range.

Fucking rockstar, just listen to us you bastards.

IV's online sucked when it came out because it was just a "Left Trigger to Win." All you had to do was run around holding LT, the game would lock on, and you'd hit the fire button and it'd be a kill/death. It sucked. RDR was similar. I don't understand the fun in that at all. Assisted aiming is one thing, even CoD has that, but full lock on just makes no sense to me for online, there's absolutely no skill involved.. either in trying to aim your gun, or in trying to use some amount of strategy. Like, in IV, if you used strategy to get to the higher ground (something that should definitely be more possibl ein V), it wouldn't matter because the lock on would magically lock onto a guy who had the higher ground on you, or who had used some strategy to surprise you.

Horns

Are there going to be GTA Online reviews? I noticed that the GTA V reviews were missing any mention of the online component playing into the review score.

Launch time -- It depends on when Sony and Microsoft release the download. I think it's out of Rockstar's hands.

Reviews: Probably get impressions tomorrow.

I think you can tell that Online is going to be a mess when it launches because Rockstar is doing nothing to hype it up. They're not even mentioning it.

Seems like they would have wished they did a "soft launch" and then a full launch in the middle of the month.

GlamFM

Banned
Launch time -- It depends on when Sony and Microsoft release the download. I think it's out of Rockstar's hands.

Reviews: Probably get impressions tomorrow.

I think you can tell that Online is going to be a mess when it launches because Rockstar is doing nothing to hype it up. They're not even mentioning it.

Seems like they would have wished they did a "soft launch" and then a full launch in the middle of the month.

You can´t just make stuff up...

TxdoHawk

To be fair, the impetus isn't really there to hype the launch like they did the initial game release. Everybody bought their copy, aside from the microtransactions they've made their money. Building hype only worsens the initial server crush, angers the natives, and worsens the drinking habits of customer support.

I would not be shocked if we simply see a "GTA Online is now available!" style blurb tomorrow instead.

Edit: Also, as the above poster mentioned, we got some details. But I think the expectation was more "where's the splashy trailer?" and I expect that post-launch, if at all.

Yeah, sure I saw those details... but for such a massive release, having a relatively short blog posts telling you "there's going to be glitches" isn't really a hype piece.

Just hoping it mostly kinda sorta works.

Also interested to hear, eventually, when they'll add the other things mentioned in the video reveal that apparently aren't launching tomorrow -- the basic editor, online heists, and more. I'll be a little bummed if online is only free roam + basic online modes (death match, etc) tomorrow (and the next couple weeks).

I really can't wait to make my own modes/races/matches. The world is such a sandbox for that. Cant wait to make a cliff side race using vehicles that aren't supposed to be racing cliff side.

Any word on whether all those liquor stores (including the one by Franklin's aunt's place) that are not open and robable will be 'unlocked' so to speak in GTA Online? If not that will be kinda disappointing.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can we just have a second PS3 GTA Online Crew?

The guy doing the PS3 Crew said he was going to clean out those not active when GTAO actually arrives and generally during the coming weeks. I'm like 377th so unless 77+ people stop playing I'm probably never going to get in, lol.

So hey, why not, we could make a second Crew and then as slots are free move people over to the "Official" one, I'm pretty sure we can be part of more than one Crew anyway so it won't even be that much of a fuss.

I might try my best not to try and play any online tomorrow and just focus on finishing the story so that hopefully the inevitable kinks and problems get ironed out and the connection is pretty stable. I might make my character though.

Too bad the member limit was hit so fast. I have a lot of time on my hands in the next 2 months to contribute to the PS3 GAF crew.

Top Bottom