• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Similar issues are occurring on both platforms, so I don't think that's the issue. Seems like a region based problem. Areas with heavy traffic such as the UK and US aren't working - but maybe some dude in the Philippines is playing without a hitch.

What should I do if I just want to play single player? I'm about 50 percent complete, but I'm hearing that this mp patch is borking the SP. If I just say disconnected from Live will that work? I'm worried if I try to play my game is going to be ruined.

Saganator

What should I do if I just want to play single player? I'm about 50 percent complete, but I'm hearing that this mp patch is borking the SP. If I just say disconnected from Live will that work? I'm worried if I try to play my game is going to be ruined.

I'd just not download the update if you're worried about the corrupted save bug. However, I'm on a PS3 and haven't had that problem despite trying and failing to start dozens of online sessions. If you have the update, just don't push X/A while the game is loading and go on playing your SP game.

Is it really totally down for PS3? If so, I'll just stop trying and go back to BF4.

Do they have some account flags or something buddy tried all day to start and play.
I have had no problems so far except matchmaking not working for 90 min.

I realize both versions are broken but it always seems like the PS3 gets the shit end of the stick network-wise when stuff like this goes down. It doesn't inspired much confidence for me going into next gen.

I realize both versions are broken but it always seems like the PS3 gets the shit end of the stick network-wise when stuff like this goes down. It doesn't inspired much confidence for me going into next gen.

How an it seems like either one is worse if both are currently fucked and down?

How an it seems like either one is worse if both are currently fucked and down?

Well I'm watching multiple streams of people on twitch with the 360 version having zero issues as well as GAF members saying they're playing on the 360 version. Meanwhile it looks like the most progress people are making on the PS3 version is getting past the character creation and then can't do the tutorial.

Played some of the online earlier in the day so I'll just post my thoughts of what I experienced:

- Character creator was pretty decent

- Some hiccups trying to do the race with Lamar. I was asked if I wanted to spectate a job which I didn't even what that was at the time so I couldn't start the mission and had to find a new session

- The drug mission was even weirder. Did the mission with three other people (even though I did the race with Lamar solo) and once we retrieved the drugs, everything kinda just stopped. Loading took forever, nothing was on screen and once everything went back to normal, I found myself having to the same mission all over again

- Someone killed me as soon as I approached the clothes store :/ But seeing the head Epsilon guy as I waiting to respawn was pretty funny

- Passive Mode is a nice touch

- Rockstar should have locked a max number of people who could be on a team for a team deathmatch/Last Team Standing match. Being on a 3-man team and having to go up against a 5-man team in a LTS match.....fuck that shit

- Really don't see myself making bets

- Did one bike race where two people were on a bike and the co-driver only knew the checkpoint locations so that person had to tell the driver where to go via voice chat....I don't think that type of race will get much mileage. Good thing I had a headset and so did my co-driver

- Given my time with this will be severely limited, I probably will be buying cash

- Kinda cool that I can rob convenience stores and can sometimes share my cut

Theecliff

Banned
I haven't even tried it yet after hearing about all the problems.

Hopefully this'll be working by tomorrow, been excited about this.

Can Xbox players get into the multiplayer? I'm watching the GB stream and they got in easily.

Got in - made a character .. got into a lobby for the 1st race. It locked down tight, right there. This as 5:13EST on XBL. Good luck tonight! I know I will be trying again, but have little hope of getting very far.

TheContact

Even R* knew the servers were going to have trouble at least a week before GTA Online was set to launch, I'm not sure why a lot of players are then surprised.

One thing we are already aware of, and are trying to alleviate as fast as we can, is the unanticipated additional pressure on the servers due to a significantly higher number of players than we were anticipating at this point – we are working around the clock to buy and add more servers, but this increased scale is only going to make the first few days even more temperamental than such things usually are. This is part of the problem some of you have been experiencing with the iFruit App and some Social Club services – we apologize in advance for this and thank you for your patience in this area.
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-more-details-on-grand-theft-auto-online.html

WTF at this character creation

It's awful, I hit Random until I got something decent

gossi

Yep I'm stuck with Michael for now. I saw somebody say earlier that reloading an earlier save would fix it but it didn't for me.

You know character swapping is disabled on purpose at certain points in time in Single Player, right? I just tried swapping post update, works here.

Did a race and apparently your partner has to have a headset so they can tell you where the checkpoint is because the driver can't see it. I didn't know any of this, and I don't think my partner did either as he didn't have a headset so he couldn't tell me where the checkpoints were. The only way was to mark them on his map, and since I don't have a map on my screen, the only way I could see what he was marking was to press pause and look at my map. A pain in the ass to say the least, and not fun. We still won though... because the other team dropped out.

Did a race and apparently your partner has to have a headset so they can tell you where the checkpoint is because the driver can't see it. I didn't know any of this, and I don't think my partner did either as he didn't have a headset so he couldn't tell me where the checkpoints were. The only way was to mark them on his map, and since I don't have a map on my screen, the only way I could see what he was marking was to press pause and look at my map. A pain in the ass to say the least, and not fun. We still won though... because the other team dropped out.

There are three race types; normal, GTA and rally. You were in a rally where only the co-driver knows where the checkpoints are. They have to give you directions via voice chat, or failing that, use the left and right D-Pad buttons to show directions on your screen.

I seem to remember some trophy or in-game thing about being someone's rally driver. That pretty cool that it works that way but I can't imagine having someone just yell out the directions works very well.

Ploid 3.0

The character creator is the worst I ever seen. You'd probably get better results hitting random, and random is usually the worst option for character creators. The the gene mixing seem so random itself.

And it isn't working at all. Back to other things, total fail launch for the PS3 version, sounds like 360 people can at least get their foot in the door before it fails. They should call it GTA Online beta (finally able to beta it because they have to be so secretive on GTA for some reason, maybe because it would make their trailer less effective).

I seem to remember some trophy or in-game thing about being someone's rally driver. That pretty cool that it works that way but I can't imagine having someone just yell out the directions works very well.

Yeah, I think it sounds pretty good in theory, but the execution is lacking.

edit: now to see if I can get a deathmatch going. Only managed one of those today.

You think this might be working by tonight? That would be great.

bill-lumbergh2.jpg

Jesus, people, have you never attempted to play an MMO-esque title with high population numbers? Even Halo Reach was chugging in the first days of the multiplayer beta / actual release due to player counts. GTAV is the fastest-selling anything in history. It's going to have trouble for a while. GAF gonna GAF. Regardless, I'll outline some stuff for people:

GTAO may deliberately lack a start menu to prevent any lockstep issues while paused. To change online settings, hit Start as a GTAV character and then go to the Online tab. From there, you can make any changes you might need from switching characters to selecting what kind of lobby you want to host. A variety of server options are available such as Friends Only, Crew Only, Go (quick launch), etc. All of the options are already available. While I personally couldn't get the race mission to load (I was playing at 6 CST), all of the server customization options are baked into GTAV's Start Menu to avoid losing them to the cloud.

The character creator is more flexible than it seems as long as you multitask. Rather than try to adjust the parent sliders to achieve a desired result immediately (and seemingly at random), try doing it in this order:

-Select your preferred gender.

-Keep hitting Randomize until you get a character relatively close to what you want.

-Adjust the customization options in the third tab. That is, age, hat / shades, hairstyles, etc.

-Once you're happy with your template, then you can go into the ancestry tab to adjust your heritage. Everything changes in real time, so keep an eye on your character as you move the sliders around to make subtle tweaks to jawline, skin tone, facial structure, etc. You can rotate and zoom in/out of your custom character while editing - and at least for the 360 version, it's pretty much identical to the camera options you have while editing your XBL Avatar.

-If you have a limited edition parent option (or John Marston), hit Y with your mother or father stats to toggle Special Mom/Dad (such as Niko or Misty) or Custom Mom/Dad (which relies on sliders.)

-Ethnic options are surprisingly diverse in the creator. Hitting Random a few times got me some very definitely Asian, Hispanic, etc. options. If you're shooting for a specific race, try and mix your grandparents' skin tone like you would mix paints, rather than shooting for realistic genealogy.

-Grandparent profiles largely influence race more than they do your actual physiology. No matter how fat your grandpa looks, you'll still have the body of an anorexic pop star.

-Once you're happy with your character, adjust the lifestyle sliders accordingly. They'll usually modify your hairstyle / outfit, but not your actual anatomy, so you'll want to double-check the third "style" tab and fix your hair / beard and all that.

It also bears repeating: the Character Creator uses some really low-res textures compared to your in-game GTAO model itself, which may be a Cloud issue.

That should about cover it. One last thing to keep in mind, though: time doesn't slow down when you change radio stations with the left DPad button in GTAO, so be careful if you try it at high speeds. I almost killed myself switching to Non-Stop-Pop flying through a busy intersection.

DukeBobby

I won't have a headset until Thursday, so I'll avoid any races until then.

It's not needed for the tutorial race, right?

I won't have a headset until Thursday, so I'll avoid any races until then.

It's not needed for the tutorial race, right?

It's not required in the tutorial race. It's not technically required for any of the race types, just ideal for rally races. But even then you can just use the D-Pad to relay directions to your driver if need be.

You'll be able to see what the race has been set up as in the lobby. Invites on the phone should also say whether it's a normal race, GTA race or rally.

Dragoshi1

I only noticed a weird sound glitch in SP, while playing as Trevor in the desert byt the Alamo sea. I walk around on foot, and there is this weird scratchy/screechy sound that plays constantly. Not LOUD AS HELL, but loud enough to be annoying.

I also think the cloud saved my character finally, after I remade it about 6 times or so. Also turned off Auto save and replaced my saves with the ones I saved to PS+ just in case.

QP3

PS3, U.S.

Been trying all day. Haven't made it past the character creation screen. Only even made it that far twice.

Go to the Race Trigger

Jesus, people, have you never attempted to play an MMO-esque title with high population numbers? Even Halo Reach was chugging in the first days of the multiplayer beta / actual release due to player counts. GTAV is the fastest-selling anything in history. It's going to have trouble for a while. GAF gonna GAF.

Thanks for the character creator tips since that's all that's working properly now. The Race Trigger has vanished and all I can do is run around in solo play killing pedestrians to slowly accumulate money.

slash3584

Managed to create a character on PS3, it's just me or did anyone else PS3 made reading noises every 2 seconds and when that happens the character camera manipulation freezes for a second and then continues moving?

Arcteryx

Managed to create a character on PS3, it's just me or did anyone else PS3 made reading noises every 2 seconds and when that happens the character camera manipulation freezes for a second and then continues moving?

It was incredibly janky for me too. I honestly thought my PS3 was going to explode from all the disc reading.

Top Bottom