• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was pessimistic and expected issues but this is 100x worse than what I thought. Still can't even get the first race started.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Disables internet connection to PS3.

Pops in GTAV.

Plays single player.

Everything is perfect.

I'm just gonna hold out a few weeks til a good handful of the kinks are ironed out. No biggie. Got plenty of gold medals to grab. Didn't even get the update. Fuck that noise. As if the SP needed more twisted random bugs.

I'm planning on doing the same. Do you actually have to disable the internet connection on the PS3, or is it enough to sign out of PSN? Haven't tried to deliberately avoid a game update in quite some time, so I don't remember exactly how that works.

NeoGiff

I was pessimistic and expected issues but this is 100x worse than what I thought. Still can't even get the first race started.

Same. I expected there to be a lot of lag and slowdown etc., as well as intermittent disconnects, but not a total lockup...this is bad. <<< Understatement of the day.

BraXzy

So I'm guessing if I've been stuck on the race session launching thing I need to restart? :/ How do you make a taller character? My guy was really short!

I'm finishing up the few things I have left for 100%. I think I just have 7 toxic waste barrels left and the bridge/knife flight stuff to do.

Every time I try to launch it, it just says cannot connect to cloud servers at the moment. I click retry and it flashes out and back in instantly and says the same thing again. Not even a chance in hell I am going to be able to play this anytime soon, but everyone else is able to with little troubles. So mad right now.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm planning on doing the same. Do you actually have to disable the internet connection on the PS3, or is it enough to sign out of PSN? Haven't tried to deliberately avoid a game update in quite some time, so I don't remember exactly how that works.
Updates download without even being signed into PSN or being on the latest firmware.

Gorillaz

My character now appears on the character wheel on SP. So we are getting somewhere.

Just need to get the actually game going

I was expecting this exact thing. Over 1 billion dollars in sales. All based on cloud support...We were already dead. Lol.

I can see this lasting longer than Diablo 3. Think of the servers Blizzard has and even they had problems.

Yeah I fiddled around with this for half an hour, saw how awful the connection errors were and how it bugged out the SP, and have since decided I'm going to wait it out until I hear things are stable. Still have plenty to do in SP anyway, no rush for me.

-Deimos

I made it as far as the blue marker of death before the connection errors.

Also, Lamar makes fun of my character for being short. Is everyone like that?

Kuusoge

Still can't get tutorial to work, but that's not the biggest problem. Has anyone had an issue with their character's appearance changing? I got stuck on the loading screen for the racing mission so i restarted the game. When I started online back up, my character was someone completely different and I had to delete him and start over. Good thing it happened during the tutorial and not later on in the game.

oneils

Is the online patch obligatory? Can I play single player without installing the patch? I figure I'll just wait until things stabilise.

ruttyboy

I don't know anything about server optimisation, so when they say things like, "We are working flat out!", is that just meant to placate people like me who don't know better and there's actually nothing they can do except wait until demand subsides? You know, short of actually having enough servers, which it seems no company is ever willing to pay for.

Prologue

Why does rockstar and other big name companies do this? I would think you would roll out an update region by region instead of opening up the flood gates.

Then again, bad publicity is publicity.

kmg90

Is the online patch obligatory? Can I play single player without installing the patch? I figure I'll just wait until things stabilise.

The patch actually addresses some of the notorious bugs in the single-player, install patch and if you can't play story mode while connected/signed in disable internet or sign out to by pass server stalls.

Has anyone found any way yet to disable/avoid the automatic connection error that is the race mission? I'm going to delete my character and make a new one and see if that works.

For some people it has. I was going to wait, but I am flirting with giving it a shot. Should we make the leap?

I'd think you'd be okay single player wise just by disabling autosave. I haven't run into any corruption myself. However, I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice.

This is just a lie...

Been playing all day

Same here, but I wouldn't discredit anyone else's poor experience. Lots of my friends have had trouble connecting, seems about 50% failure rate. I haven't had any problems apart from a couple small issues, and from what I've played it's a blast.

Got past the character creator and the intro cutscene with Lamar only to have the game lock up at the race. One try was enough for me now I will wait until they get this mess sorted out.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Same here, but I wouldn't discredit anyone else's poor experience. Lots of my friends have had trouble connecting, seems about 50% failure rate. I haven't had any problems apart from a couple small issues, and from what I've played it's a blast.

It seems to be okay when you get past the tutorial.

So does downloading the update screw with single player?

I lost my guns as Franklin for some reason but I haven't noticed anything else. I'm about 97% complete though so there's not that much to do.

Managed to get in as a temporary character a few hours ago, couldn't do anything except run around and kill civilians or rob gas stations. Noticed that no one fights back apart from cops, so no fistfights with NPCs, unless they change it.

Well, at least the race marker now shows but when my character automatically works to it I get 1 second of cutscene and then it kicks me back to single player. Any US PSN people laying without issues?

Top Bottom