• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

JackHerer

I had no issues connecting this morning and I played about 5 or 6 hours. It is pretty fun. Definitely some rough edges but it has a lot of potential.

I don't know if this has been discussed yet: There are no planes or jets spawning at the airport. Also, the gates no longer open for you to drive onto the tarmac. I found a way to get around it by jumping from the flight school stairway entrance on foot. You can also get a motorcycle over the fence pretty easily.

Once inside there is NO wanted level. You can freely ride around but as I said there are no planes. There is one solitary helicopter that spawns and you are free to take that with no repercussions. I had a lot of fun doing flybys over players heads. A few times I landed and gave people rides until they got bored and jumped out to their deaths which was entertaining.

So next I checked the Military base for aircraft. There seems to be additional security at the gates and extra barriers that you can't get through. Like the airport you can't just drive in. A warning message appears on the bottom of the screen telling you to leave the area. So I thought I'd try flying in by using the previously mentioned helicopter. This works and it also seems that the military response trigger is more lenient. You do not become wanted until you actually land or get close to landing in the base.

There ARE fighter jets in the military base. Probably other military vehicles as well but I only stole the jet the two times I did this. It was fairly easy to do this, it just takes a bit of time to steal the helicopter then fly over and steal the jet. Once you get it it's worth it (especially if your goal is to cause some mayhem) considering the only way you are likely to die in the jet is by crashing it yourself.

Disables internet connection to PS3.

Pops in GTAV.

Plays single player.

Everything is perfect.

I'm just gonna hold out a few weeks til a good handful of the kinks are ironed out. No biggie. Got plenty of gold medals to grab. Didn't even get the update. Fuck that noise. As if the SP needed more twisted random bugs.

This is my plan. Let everyone else beta test it.

cripterion

No one is playing this. Or at least, a lot of us can't even get into the servers.

It's working flawlessly now, it was craptastic a couple of hours ago...

I see many people in free roam but having a hard time filling up 3 other spots to do the Simeon missions.

Grimsen

After many tries, managed to do the intro race. Had one human opponent and Lamar.

Finished 1st, but the game hung after the race results. :(

Trying to login again now...

-PXG-

Why are they forcing me to do a race? I don't wanna race. Been waiting for over five minutes and nothing

:/

Awesome.

Grisby

I see many people in free roam but having a hard time filling up 3 other spots to do the Simeon missions.
I tried an hour or so ago and nothing worked. Been like that all day.

I might try it once more tonight.

Finished. 38 Hours and about 75% total completion.

One of the best games I have ever played.

- Funny dialogue, a decent story, likeable (?) characters, an amazing vast world full of interesting sights and ridiculous levels of detail, great soundtrack (original score by Tangerine Dream was so 80s and awesome), gunplay felt pretty good for a GTA. There's still so much I haven't even touched on, plus the online mode - the value for money and content is incredible.

Now to explore the last few areas of the map and finish up trying out the last of the mini games.

amrod

grrr the newest update messed up my save I think... once I switch to Franklin I cant switch to any other characters

Betty

Banned
LIke others all I get is the race marker, character walks into it, then an alert message before it kicks me back to single player. Ah well.

It really seems like Rockstar got caught with their pants down on this one. Haven't been able to join a game at all today so far. (PS3)

Ploid 3.0

The bad thing is all my money is in the BAWSAQ market. My characters have $2 ish on them each. I hope the stock isn't moving into negative or crashing.

UNCMark

Banned

Flawless isnt how I'd describe it. I create a character, get driven to the first tutorial race, a guy gives me a car...then it shows him giving me the car again, then the game spins an icon with the text 'Waiting for other Players' forever and nothing ever happens. This is the opposite of flawless.

cripterion

For those that got on, is it free aim or magnet aim? Does it let you choose what ever you want, so the free aimers are up against auto aim?

Auto aim, haven't seen any settings to change it... I might try setting the coop missions to hard difficulty to see if it turns it into free aim.

Gaz_RB

Nope every time I start the first race it times out or just searches for players forever. Tried every console and modem maintenance trick multiple times all day. Some of us are still in the weeds. :(

No, I totally know. Alot of my friends can't play. And that sucks. But saying 360 online is unplayable is not true. There's lots of people online, and I've played with a couple GAF homies too, having a blast.

I live in the northwest for whoever was interested.

Wild guess... Half-Life 3 rumours.

Yeah seriously, it was ok the front page of reddit all day...crazy.

Well I've been one of the lucky few who got on with no issues today. Played for 3-4 hours, did several races and a couple death matches. I had fun, but I can't wait until it's stable and I can really get to grips with it with my friends.

ZenVolta

I dont know what it is about that first mission. But once you make it past that, everything works.

Iv been playing on and off all day. Sucks though cuz none of my friends can get on.

Played for three hours today only had a couple of issues on an American 360. First was the massive pop-in during the intro, and then after i was told to buy new clothes nothing happened. I was just wandering around with nothing to do, other then run around with other people on the map. Hopped out then back in and I was able to finish the tutorial.

Only gripe is the load times between matches. I like it. Took me a while to make a character that didn't look like a mutant. I have the next three days off work to melt servers.

Does the game load new people in as you move away from the 16 people you start with? Or are you stuck with them no matter how far you move away?

eival

atleast the issues i specifically experienced "mission failure" is on their list of things they know about and are fixing.

but my character who was rank 5 seems to be gone and i cant even get int with another character to see if maybe my rank still caries over since my cash looks like its still there when i go to the Online tab, but I dont fee like wasting that time with another character till they sort this out.

Gaz_RB

Does the game load new people in as you move away from the 16 people you start with? Or are you stuck with them no matter how far you move away?

You can easily create a new session or join a different one. It's just a free roam lobby like RDR. Distance has nothing at all to do with it. This is def not an MMO esque game.

harrytang

does it ever go past launching session? been waiting 48 min now. wondering if its not going to work at all or if i wait will it start?

Heimbeck

Banned
Well I've played for about an hour and it's fun but it's not as good as SP IMO, I will still play it quite a bit but not like 30 hours in 4 days like I did with single player.

Gaz_RB

does it ever go past launching session? been waiting 48 min now. wondering if its not going to work at all or if i wait will it start?

Won't work.

Back out to dashboard, it should only take a few seconds to launch the session, not 48 minutes haha

Gaz_RB

Biggest problem. I assume because folks are having issues getting online, but even the people currently online never join games i host

I've noticed that too. I usually just go to the quick job option and select random job. That gets me into full games most the time.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, I decided to risk it. The character creator is an abomination and that is as far as I got. It booted me right back into single player and now none of my left over missions are even showing up. Just wonderful.

KAP151

Hola to the GAF street people ive seen around.

Everything seems so buggy ATM. It never seems to 'download' data for missions, randomly throws you our of servers etc etc.

I have mainly just been driving around doing stick ups and getting my stats up. Occasionally 'quick jobs' works on my phone, but most of the time it freezes or just sits in loading limbo...

It needs a lot of work.

keit4

Banned
Played for 6-7 hours. Zero problems. I'm still level 9 because i lost a lot of time just following other people with my helicopter to make them feel unconfortable lol

Showaddy

Damn wanted to get home and do Lester's assassination missions but the whole online system's borked so the SAQ's down as well of course. Why couldn't Rockstar just put all the mission related markets on the offline LCN?

Top Bottom