• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Gaz_RB

Niiiiice!

Goodness, we've just gotta get past the tutorial...!

I keep seeing you online and wanting to invite you!

Online is an absolute blast once you're past the tutorial. Been robbing stores and running from cops all day with GAF Street homies!

dreamfall

This time launching in, some of the players say "Paused"- how come?!

We're lined in a queue away from the queue!

This really reminds me of Playstation Home in its formative stages for some reason- everyone wanting to play those minigames, to no avail!

duckroll

FAILED TO HOST GAME
FAILED TO JOIN GAME
FAILED TO CONNECT TO JOB OR ACTIVITY
FAILED TO LOAD SESSION
FAILED TO CONNECT TO ROCKSTAR CLOUD SERVERS

This launch is a FAILURE. Lol. :(

valeo

"We are working on it"

I understand launches are rough, being prepared for the huge rush of players trying the game at once but this is ridiculous...

They knew how many copies were sold, they had two weeks to get their infrastructure in order...

Social Club has been a disaster since launch (ifruit app and now this)

The cherry on top is the lack of an update on android Vita versions of the ifruit app...

This literally happens for every single big online launch, so obviously it's not as easy as you're inferring.

It'll be fine in a week.

dreamfall

I keep seeing you online and wanting to invite you!

Online is an absolute blast once you're past the tutorial. Been robbing stores and running from cops all day with GAF Street homies!

GAAAAAH! Gaz don't tell me such awesome stories! Baha, I tried to join your session and it was like "YOU MUST COMPLETE THE TUTORIAL"

Goodness, I shall keep trying until we can roll together some day!

G-Bus

Banned
I'm so confused about how online works. I made my Character, had lamar getting me to do a couple of missions and then.. yea. Bunch if random people driving around shooting me while I'm trying to do these missions for lamar....

I remember GTA IV online, and this doesn't seem to be anything like that.

rbanke

"We are working on it"

I understand launches are rough, being prepared for the huge rush of players trying the game at once but this is ridiculous...

They knew how many copies were sold, they had two weeks to get their infrastructure in order...

Social Club has been a disaster since launch (ifruit app and now this)

The cherry on top is the lack of an update on android Vita versions of the ifruit app...

It's more likely almost always a case of it not making financial sense to spend money on infrastructure that will only be needed for the first few days/weeks not an inability to plan for capacity.

Ilive1up

I'm so confused about how online works. I made my Character, had lamar getting me to do a couple of missions and then.. yea. Bunch if random people driving around shooting me while I'm trying to do these missions for lamar....

I remember GTA IV online, and this doesn't seem to be anything like that.

it's weird. the free roam is like one big lobby. but then when you do deathmatches and stuff like that it puts you into another lobby with random players that weren't in your free roam game....i think.

G-Bus

Banned
it's weird. the free roam is like one big lobby. but then when you do deathmatches and stuff like that it puts you into another lobby with random players that weren't in your free roam game.

How do I even go about joining other games?

Double D

So I'm not sure what just happened. I restarted but had to get up and go do something. When I came back I'm at the race starting point but there isn't a race marker. I'm walking around though. Lamar keeps shouting, "Hey, you're supposed to be going that way!". I'm afraid to restart and have no idea what's going on.

This sounds like every multiplayer game ever. That's why I only want to get on and play a private free roam with a couple friends, or as many friends as I can get on there anyway.

That's why multiplayer sucks so much in general. People behave like trash.
Yeah, this is why I pretty much don't play MP anymore, its no fun for me like this :(

BigDug13

It keeps failing to connect to a host after I made my character once on PS3. I have yet to ever get into a game. Is it that bad or is there a setting I'm missing here?

duckroll

It keeps failing to connect to a host after I made my character once on PS3. I have yet to ever get into a game. Is it that bad or is there a setting I'm missing here?

You can avoid this error message if you go into the pause menu, select Online, select Play GTA Online, and select Invite Only Game. You'll be able to watch the intro, but once it tries to load the first tutorial mission which is a multiplayer race, get ready for more error messages all over again! :p

anddo0

... It's worse.

Just play offline for now. Go for 100% or something.
I'm doing stunt jumps myself.

Defyler

Loading missions has gotten better for me as the day has worn on. I've been stuck 3 times today in network screens that ended with me having to restart my xbox. Hopefully things get better.

Fuck this shit, i have tried so many times i am done with this shit.

I do not know why i even thought it would work.

Sounded too promising now that i look back.

Gaz_RB

it's weird. the free roam is like one big lobby. but then when you do deathmatches and stuff like that it puts you into another lobby with random players that weren't in your free roam game....i think.

Yeah. If you want to play with people from your session, you can go to a deathmatch or whatever, host it, and go to "invite from current session". Then people from your session can join of they feel like it. Otherwise it sets you up with randoms who want to play deathmatch too

You can avoid this error message if you go into the pause menu, select Online, select Play GTA Online, and select Invite Only Game. You'll be able to watch the intro, but once it tries to load the first tutorial mission which is a multiplayer race, get ready for more error messages all over again! :p

Same thing here, Been trying off and once since 6am.

Also PSN Digital Download, California

LAMBO

Welcome to the launch of every single huge online game ever released now and forever. The publishers are never going to build an infrastructure big enough to handle the huge initial demand because they know in a few weeks thinks die down and what they built will be enough. Wait until you try to download your digital games on day one next gen, it'll be faster to wait for them to come in the mail. Didn't you see Diablo 3, Simcity, and MMORPG queues when new content comes out?

Dartastic

Oop, everything vanishes and now I'm suddenly in a parking lot.

Oop, now it automatically restarted the mission for no reason. Ugh.

maybe I'm just being "entitled" but can't game companies rent servers so they have a smooth launch, thus keeping or elevating interest in their title and then return them as they become less needed? If they want people to buy games at launch and whine about people buying second hand down the line, maybe the launch experience should be on par or superior than waiting and getting it later. As it is now, it is never the case unless they consciously make the experience worse by using online passes.

Khezu

What's up with auto aim?

When I played this afternoon it felt like there was none, but watching giant bomb play it a little while ago, there was some pretty heavy aim assist when they were playing.

Dead

well not really...yet
Deleted my dude and made another. Giving it another try.

That fucking intro is unskippable. Damnit.

Dug

Banned
Uhhhhhh, WTF? I started an invite only session expecting to walk into the Blue Circle of Hell....but when I got to it there was no blue circle! Now I'm just walking around....

Enjay

Banned
Traded this in today. Did not feel like restarting a new file for what was, now that I look back on it, clearly an over promised multiplayer experience even once you can connect to it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
lol @ having to pay to go into passive mode. That shit should be free, to escape the clusterfuck of randos just ramming people and emptying an uzi into them while they're trying to finish required tutorial missions. I've been killed during unskippable cutscenes, calls from Lamar and Simeon I can't ignore, as soon as I hang up, someone's there to kill me an take the $20 I might have on me. That's right, asshole, I deposited all my funds earlier. Enjoy the empty thrill.

duckroll

maybe I'm just being "entitled" but can't game companies rent servers so they have a smooth launch, thus keeping or elevating interest in their title and then return them as they become less needed? If they want people to buy games at launch and whine about people buying second hand down the line, maybe the launch experience should be on par or superior than waiting and getting it later. As it is now, it is never the case unless they consciously make the experience worse by using online passes.

I don't think it's being entitled so much as maybe not understanding how difficult networking can be. I think if the problem is simply one which can be solved by cost alone, we wouldn't be seeing problems like this so frequently. Often it's not companies being cheap about it. I'm really frustrated with the launch too, since I really want to play with friends and it's impossible at the moment, but realistically speaking, I doubt this is because they don't have enough servers up. It's more likely that their network code is struggling to keep pace with the connections, and the huge influx of users is causing the system to collapse under the pressure. This is not something you can easily solve just by putting in more hardware. In reality most of the hardware they have supporting the game is probably being under-utilized at the moment because people can't even get into the game itself.

None of this excuses the fact that as paying customers we are unable to use a service as promised, but I think it helps to look at it from a perspective that sometimes the problem is a bit more complex than just magically making things work by putting in more money.

Norns

Traded this in today. Did not feel like restarting a new file for what was, now that I look back on it, clearly an over promised multiplayer experience even once you can connect to it.
What? I don't see what they "over promised" on here. Care to explain?

Hip Hop

lol @ having to pay to go into passive mode. That shit should be free, to escape the clusterfuck of randos just ramming people and emptying an uzi into them while they're trying to finish required tutorial missions. I've been killed during unskippable cutscenes, calls from Lamar and Simeon I can't ignore, as soon as I hang up, someone's there to kill me an take the $20 I might have on me. That's right, asshole, I deposited all my funds earlier. Enjoy the empty thrill.

I'm trying to get a bounty going here. Everyone on sight is killed.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow so I got online...but the blue circle for the race doesn't show up, so I can't do the intro mission...lol

Is there no start menu online? Because the start button ain't doing shit

Top Bottom