• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Chipotle

It's the billion dollars in three days or whatever it was that bugs me. Of course they were going to get the demand, and they were going to get the money in to easily be able to cope (at least that's what I'd have thought). Wonder how much they'll potentially lose in microtransactions because of people being put off the experience.

Still, I expect it to be sorted in a couple of days. If it isn't then it'll be a massive PR disaster, if it's not already that is.

This literally happens for every single big online launch, so obviously it's not as easy as you're inferring.

It'll be fine in a week.

Literally would imply all. I hate to say this, but Call Of Duty didn't have it this bad. That series isn't as big, but these problems are ridiculous.

There's more to these problems then just the awful online experience. Players have reported game saves being ruined and I have found numerous new glitches since the patch. This includes any NPC Michael encounters at home flipping out/cloning/stuck in the walls.

What makes it worse, in my eyes at least, is Rockstar prefacing the event with "this will probably happen", and it did. So with that prior knowledge, why are they so surprised at the outcome? Why are they working on it now?

Forgone conclusion, something that should have went towards a different solution rather than the power of the cloud.

Prologue

I don't think it's being entitled so much as maybe not understanding how difficult networking can be. I think if the problem is simply one which can be solved by cost alone, we wouldn't be seeing problems like this so frequently. Often it's not companies being cheap about it. I'm really frustrated with the launch too, since I really want to play with friends and it's impossible at the moment, but realistically speaking, I doubt this is because they don't have enough servers up. It's more likely that their network code is struggling to keep pace with the connections, and the huge influx of users is causing the system to collapse under the pressure. This is not something you can easily solve just by putting in more hardware. In reality most of the hardware they have supporting the game is probably being under-utilized at the moment because people can't even get into the game itself.

None of this excuses the fact that as paying customers we are unable to use a service as promised, but I think it helps to look at it from a perspective that sometimes the problem is a bit more complex than just magically making things work by putting in more money.

Then why don't companies open the gate region by region? Oct 1st for such and such region, Oct 6th for another. Something needs to change. Every company plays triage after a multiplayer release instead of spreading the load days apart. R* seems to be the first company to ever release a multiplayer mode weeks after release, I see no problem in helping the network by allowing only certain regions to access the content on such and such day.

G-Bus

Banned
Ok, guess I wasn't far enough into all the introductory stuff. Pretty cool so far. Maybe I'm one of the luckier few but havent had any connection issues at all.

Not sure if I'll be getting back to single player anytime soon. Really digging the online now.

GafferGamgee

Neo Member
This whole thread =

tumblr_mluowhf7Oy1riokjwo1_r1_500.gif

I tried playing solo and it worked, until I had to do the intro race. Then it crapped out and corrupted my save for Online. So I had to re-create my character again.

Expected, but still annoyed.

When I did get in, I found myself in an un-savable Free Mode, at least I think it was.

And in them was no option to turn off the cops like what was supposedly in 4.

Plus, Passive mode turns off TKing, but also your weapons. GTAV is riddled with bad game decisions.

Mononoke

Banned
No, but PS3 seems to be experiencing the worst of it.

Ah. Think I'm going to just turn off the PS3 and go play Windwaker. Fuck it. Guess I shouldn't have expected any better from an online launch. But I figured with all the time they had past launch, it would be a little better.

duckroll

Then why don't companies open the gate region by region? Oct 1st for such and such region, Oct 6th for another. Something needs to change. Every company plays triage after a multiplayer release instead of spreading the load days apart. R* seems to be the first company to ever release a multiplayer mode weeks after release, I see no problem in helping the network by allowing only certain regions to access the content on such and such day.

Regions are not equal. The moment you open it up to North America, the exact same thing will happen. So I don't see how it would really solve anything.

once you get to the mission after customizing your car and putting a tracker, feels good man.

you can do races with up to 16 people(doesn't have to be with people in your game) and deathmatch and other mission playlists. just gotta go to the race spot.

should have had that in the beginning though, no need for that intro story but oh well.

No luck all day. Will try again in the AM. I knew there would be issues but this seems broken. Next chance I get won't be until MAYBE Sunday. : (

Does the download really breaks the single player? I read about it corrupting saves earlier this morning...

Personally, every time I switch over to Mike and his family is present, their models freak out, don't appear, or just clone themselves. It's rare it doesn't happen.

As for others, a friend of mine had his save ruined. Shoulda backed that up.

once you get to the mission after customizing your car and putting a tracker, feels good man.

you can do races with up to 16 people(doesn't have to be with people in your game) and deathmatch and other mission playlists. just gotta go to the race spot.

should have had that in the beginning though, no need for that intro story but oh well.

360 here, stuck at launching session.

Well it's improving. I'm able to play by myself just fine. Once the servers stabilize and I'm able to join my friends I can see mysel loving it. Enough of the world opened up that I can see what they are aiming for. Can't wait.

What if people started a party and started playing in Friends Only mode. Then tried to start the race. That would eliminate matchmaking at the beginning maybe.

Anyone on ps3 having trouble getting online I had luck by going through the menu and going "private session" or "friends only" I still got kicked off but I did get a few missions done

Made a character, the first race in the tutorial wouldn't start, had to ctrlaldel. Then the servers forgot my character and said there'd only be disc content (whatever that means) and it wouldn't save, for some reason.

So skipped the character stuff, hit "Join Game" and got into a session as some randomly generated lady, skipping whatever the intro/tutorial is. Don't know if random characters take up slots or how that's supposed to work. Or if it only generated a character for me cause my created one had vanished. It's like usual with this game's online stuff, you don't know if it works, or if works like it's supposed to.

Anyway, so far I'm not particularly enticed by what I've seen. Seems maybe alright, I don't know. The singleplayer has kind of sandboxed me out already. You can drive around and shoot around and run around and hide around and shoot cops and then other players shoot you for no reason. Haven't actually tried any missions or minigames yet. Maybe those are interesting, or something. Maybe I'm just tired and cranky.

I think people are getting into online more and more. People have to go to work so now is your chance probably. As for the kids playing the game... do your homework.

duckroll

What if people started a party and started playing in Friends Only mode. Then tried to start the race. That would eliminate matchmaking at the beginning maybe.

I don't think it would help because the problem seems to be the matchmaking servers being overloaded and failing to connect players properly into the mission. Even in a Friend game the matchmaking needs to happen, it's just a matter of filtering who can be matched with who. It's just all fucked up. Lol.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Please don't tell me it's going to be like this for days because this is a really big bummer that they can't have enough servers to accommodate a few million people or more at once initially.

pringles

When me and a buddy tried, it gave an error saying we can't join until completion of the tutorial mission..

Rockstar thought of everything.

Plasmid

Servers will be up by Friday at least, i doubt they'll still be shitting out tomorrow.

Some people have said that after the tutorial they can host all kinds of missions, so everyone just needs to beat the tutorial. As people complete it stress is relieved and more people complete it i would think? My friend can host all kinds of missions with no problem from social club.

Top Bottom