• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Gaz_RB

Some IGN guy just tweeted about playing GTA Online, and three other Youtubers also managed to get in.

I'm in, and I've been playing all day with lots of different people. It hasn't been down for everyone all day.

Unfortunately most can't get in, so as much as I want to talk about the game with GAF homies, I can't :(

kingkitty

0_0.jpg

Where is the race trigger Lamar...

WHERE

duckroll

I remember when I was really excited by the prospect that with a substantial online mode in GTA5 it'll run much better than the terrible netcode in GTA4 where friends would get kicked out of lobbies and there would connection errors all over the place. Turns out that even with a much more dedicated experience, the end result at launch is exactly the same! Lolz. :(

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Police still ruin this game. Nigh on impossible to evade choppers. Got achievement for holding up 20 stores.

Prologue

Regions are not equal. The moment you open it up to North America, the exact same thing will happen. So I don't see how it would really solve anything.

I think NA will fair a bit better if it wasn't competing with dozens of other countries. This update was released this morning in the states, a good majority of GTA's players on the east coast were in school while the other half of the country was asleep. The overload was due to everyone else.

Spazznid

Fuck, I've tried at least 70 times today/tonight. Probably more. Damnit, R* get on this or at least tell me it's futile.

Grisby

Anyone know if you're able to delete your online characters?
The game did that for me a moment ago, :/

Had to recreate another one and then I picked solo mode because the other one is giving me the 'failed host' message. Tried solo just now, watched intro again, and now the race trigger for that first race is gone. Can't hit start or anything to back out to SP or whatever.

I'm giving up for the night.

At least I got to move around in the world for a bit. I guess.

KAP151

I'm in, and I've been playing all day with lots of different people. It hasn't been down for everyone all day.

Unfortunately most can't get in, so as much as I want to talk about the game with GAF homies, I can't :(

Hey dude I saw you in my game in your pimped purple/yellow car ( i think it was you..?)

Ping difference makes it impossible to play with others sometime, on my screen you were zipping all over the place.

Got through the 2nd tutorial mission. I am now sitting in the clouds looking down. Been here 4 minutes.

360 here how I got to the race:

During the launching session (8 - 10 minutes) don't touch your controller. I got kicked for being inactive. It loaded again I walked to the race trigger and it booted right up. I raced Lamar instead of another player. The next mission started and I was matched up with 3 other players.

Might have been just luck but worth trying out if you are having issues.

I remember when I was really excited by the prospect that with a substantial online mode in GTA5 it'll run much better than the terrible netcode in GTA4 where friends would get kicked out of lobbies and there would connection errors all over the place. Turns out that even with a much more dedicated experience, the end result at launch is exactly the same! Lolz. :(

This is way worse for me. I was exploring Liberty City with friends within the first day of launch. It was janky and there was no real content, but I could at least get into Free Roam. This, on the other hand, is flatout broken, and even makes singleplayer act weird when you get kicked out of it.

I won't be touching this again until it's confirmed to be stable.

After skimming the thread I might as well don't download the patch.

Will wait for the weekend and see the state here and maybe will bother.

dubq

I dunno, it's pretty pathetic that they developed this for how many years + the two extra weeks out from launch and they can't get a 16 player matchmaking lobby to work? lol2013

Double D

Got through the 2nd tutorial mission. I am now sitting in the clouds looking down. Been here 4 minutes.

During the launching session (8 - 10 minutes) don't touch your controller. I got kicked for being inactive. It loaded again I walked to the race trigger and it booted right up. I raced Lamar instead of another player. The next mission started and I was matched up with 3 other players.

Thanks. It's worth a shot I guess.

I wonder what happens if you disconnect during 'Launching Session'.

Spazznid

When you try, do you choose solo? The only way I can even see the race segment start is through solo or invite only, and then when the car pulls up to me, the bottom says waiting for players for like two seconds before giving me an error. Are you saying I should wait at the error screen? This is so aggravating.

TCKaos

I'm still stuck trying to do the tutorial. I just got kicked for being inactive while the session was still being launched.

Amazing.

Gaz_RB

Hey dude I saw you in my game in your pimped purple/yellow car ( i think it was you..?)

Ping difference makes it impossible to play with others sometime, on my screen you were zipping all over the place.

Oh yeah! That's my Sabre :D

Yeah the lag can get bad! I wanted to rob that store with you!

GavinGT

Banned
I had zero technical problems during my roughly three hours of play. I had some fun dressing up my character, but that was sort of it. It seems like it would be fun with friends, but while playing solo I was really struggling to find anything redeeming. I'll keep going with it for a while, but it's hard to go from the main campaign to this because everything feels so second-rate in comparison (missions, dialog, progression, the city itself).

LvlNinety9

Neo Member
Don't know if this will help anyone but for me and my 360 clearing the system cache helped. Once I did that I was rocking and rolling.

So I steal an Infernus and it's "too hot to modify" and you have to buy it instead.

Is that how GTA IV online worked? You can't steal cars... in grand theft auto?

It would have been interesting if they let people in based on how much they've completed in the single player. It'd still probably be gone to shit but at least they'd have tried something.

lem0n

I played over 3 hours today. I got in somehow this morning, I just dashboarded at the race loading screen, hit A to go to Online at the first loading screen, and got in. My friend and I drove around holding up liquor stores and 7-11s. So much fun, can't wait to get the whole gang online and just explore

GQman2121

Banned
Updated my PS3 and then tried to download and install the patch for the game. Locked up my system with a black screen twice. I had to pull the AC cord out of the PlayStation since the slim modes don't have buttons on the back and holding reset did nothing. No online for me.....

You guys should try the "jump straight into GTA online" option in the menu. I did that after getting disconnected from the server and it just threw me in a game with 10K in my bank account and a pre made character

then later i tried making my own character and i made it to the infamous race mission and got stuck, kept getting stuck and then finally after my 5th try i got to race Lamar. It asked me if i wanted to wait and i said "hell no" and raced him myself.

so its just a matter of luck at the moment, really dumb but it'll probably get fixed soon i hope.

to get all the race spots opened up, you gotta do the mission after robbing the convenience store. at that point everything opened up, deathmatch,missions,racing with up to 16 people. it shows it on the map for me.

I still think they should have had a GTA IV style matching making option, for those not interested in the story but oh well.

now to spam shout "fire truck, fire truck, fire truck" in every race match ;P

Plasmid

So can anyone join free roams? I get spawned in vinewood a lot. But i don't have to do the tutorial to get it, i'm matched with 15 people at the moment.

Gaz_RB

You guys should try the "jump straight into GTA online" option in the menu. I did that after getting disconnected from the server and it just threw me in a game with 10K in my bank account and a pre made character

then later i tried making my own character and i made it to the infamous race mission and got stuck, kept getting stuck and then finally after my 5th try i got to race Lamar. It asked me if i wanted to wait and i said "hell no" and raced him myself.

so its just a matter of luck at the moment, really dumb but it'll probably get fixed soon i hope.

to get all the race spots opened up, you gotta do the mission after robbing the convenience store. at that point everything opened up, deathmatch,missions,racing with up to 16 people. it shows it on the map for me.

I still think they should have had a GTA IV style matching making option, for those not interested in the story but oh well.

now to spam shout "fire truck, fire truck, fire truck" in every race match ;P

I think the matchmaking is still similar if you use "quick job"

hate how you get a 1star wanted lvl for driving a stolen car

Man I love that. Think it should be in singleplayer

Top Bottom