• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Future

360 here, but looks like I'm stuck on the launching session screen.

Really wish it was matchmaking during that long ass cut scene

G-Bus

Banned
Dude wtf.

The game has a very top down rich get richer design.

We were doing a mission, team v team, and the other team had slightly higher ranks, meaning they had fucking Uzi's/Sawn Offs doing drive bys and I'm stuck with a pistol. We got wrecked.

The matchmaking for me has been pretty well balanced so far. I've only noticed it in the free roam lobby with guys driving by with machine guns and I'm trying to take cover with a pistol : /

Does anyone know how many players are needed for the race to begin in the beginning?

If your talking the first initial race you do with lamar right after you create a character I did it with just me and him. Think there was a 30 second count down timer for the "waiting for players to join" in the bottom right and it just dropped me in when the time was up.

I'm gonna assume the PS3 servers are dead then.

Any PS3 people managed to get into multiplayer?

I could get in by going to the pause menu, online, and the very last option. "Join GTAO" or whatever. Select solo and watch the intro to the mode before being booted.

Trouble

Banned
On PS3 here. Got through the little intro, but I always get booted when it tries to start the race. Gonna give up soon and check back tomorrow eve.

Edwardo

Oh man i'm having a blast with this. It took me three restarts to get going with the tutorial, but now i'm just cruisin.

Tawpgun

The matchmaking for me has been pretty well balanced so far. I've only noticed it in the free roam lobby with guys driving by with machine guns and I'm trying to take cover with a pistol : /

If your talking the first initial race you do with lamar right after you create a character I did it with just me and him. Think there was a 30 second count down timer for the "waiting for players to join" in the bottom right and it just dropped me in when the time was up.
Was in a lobby with Kricis and he was host and dunno if he selected auto balance but those teams were NOT balanced.

Spirit3

Yep, same. I also got told "you left a job before it was complete you are on the bad list". How I can't even get into a fucking game to play a "job". This is just brilliant. I'm without the internet for two weeks after Friday and it looks like this is not going to be running properly for at least a week.

Double D

So you actually see in game dudes. All I see is a launching session menu. Are you at the next step?

If I launch online from the loading screen (pressing 'A' at loading) I get to the point where I'm standing in the parking lot and dudes start appearing and disappearing.

If I launch from the solo mode, selecting the '4th player' to launch online mode, It'll cut to a blurry view of the Los Santos skyline and hang there. Sometimes I'll see 'Launching session' there, sometimes it hangs at waiting for players.

I've also noticed that my window to choose online mode from the loading screen is like 2 seconds. If I'm not jamming 'A' before the loading screen starts, it won't give me the option and launch right into solo mode.

Haven't tried selecting GTAO from the menu yet.

I've also cleared the cache and still nothing.

What buttholes. Hope I don't run into any clowns.

Can't wait to bonk the crap out of speeding cars.

Not exactly going to chalk it up to being kicked maliciously. For all I know, I could've been standing in the game world not moving (because I'm stuck at the loading screen). I may have been kicked for idling.

Or, everyone else who was queuing up in the lobby quit due to boredom (and getting tired of this awesome music) and it just said I was kicked by them.

vov

I have a question for those that have played this game online. What exactly differentiates this multiplayer mode from the single player mode besides that you can play with other humans? I'm dreading the multiplayer mode for several reasons to the point that I'm thinking about trading the game in since I'm done with the single player. Firstly, GTA4 multiplayer left a sour taste, it was just spawn killing and absolutely no fun. Next I have no experience in tps multiplayer shooters and I tried the free aim in the single player mode but I couldn't aim for shit since I'm used to the PS3 controller but not the 360. Is there any reason why I should give the online mode a try? I also want to know if you can access that cargo plane online or use one of those packers to transport your cars.

Double D

I have a question for those that have played this game online. What exactly differentiates this multiplayer mode from the single player mode besides that you can play with other humans? I'm dreading the multiplayer mode for several reasons to the point that I'm thinking about trading the game in since I'm done with the single player. Firstly, GTA4 multiplayer left a sour taste, it was just spawn killing and absolutely no fun. Next I have no experience in tps multiplayer shooters and I tried the free aim in the single player mode but I couldn't aim for shit since I'm used to the PS3 controller but not the 360. Is there any reason why I should give the online mode a try? I also want to know if you can access that cargo plane online or use one of those packers to transport your cars.

I have no idea. But you should come hang out with us in the parking lot and hope to find out.

Not exactly going to chalk it up to being kicked maliciously. For all I know, I could've been standing in the game world not moving (because I'm stuck at the loading screen). I may have been kicked for idling.

Or, everyone else who was queuing up in the lobby quit due to boredom (and getting tired of this awesome music) and it just said I was kicked by them.

vov

Excellent points. It would be strange for some to have complete control of the online mode while others are experiencing all these issues. Hope it's all ironed out. That intro got me all excited. :)

Gaz_RB

cheers where do you go to?

Out towards Sandy Shores I believe!

OH MY! Set my world record in the race, I AM IN THERE!

I saw that! invite me when you can!

How are you able to bring your own car? It always makes me go on foot to start the race and then they are all pre-set options.

I think it's in the host options. Certain ones I've joined have been pre set and others let you use your own. Haven't figured it out yet.

Edit: found it

It's "Custom Vehicles On"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Cheers Gaz.

How do me and me mate report a player who's ruining our golf game with unsporting conduct?

Do we know if our MP characters can work cross-platform? Meaning that I could play with the PS3 or the 360 version, not that it is MP in a single session with people from both PS3 and 360. Sure would be nice, particularly if we get a next-gen GTAO -- would love to not start over.

Das-J

Law of the West
Finally made it through the intro video and am stuck with everyone else trying to kick off the race.

SOOOOO much failure here that could have easily been avoided with improved gating, load balancing and matchmaking.

All things that naturally flow from a solid beta period...

Saganator

Cheers Gaz.

How do me and me mate report a player who's ruining our golf game with unsporting conduct?

Not sure about how to report, but I'd love to hear about how one can ruin a golf game. Its instanced right, is he just not playing or is he able to cause some mayhem at the course?

So I just got home from work, I guess I need to keep restarting the game after getting these neverending loading screens for the first car race?

matt05891

I was reading on a GTA forum that one guy got through buy unplugging/battery pulling his controller during the loading screen and during the little cut scene thing before the race and putting it back in when it was done. It didn't work for me but maybe for some of you it may work.

Garland7G

I'm still getting stuck at the beginning of the race. Solo and otherwise.
I just kept restarting GTAO until the race finally worked, took hours...
For the folks getting in, let us know how long you had to wait to get past the "launching session" screen.

Like I said above, I waited five minutes at the most until I dashboarded and restarted. some times the blue ring (where you walk into to start the race) wouldn't appear, at which point, I would just switch to Franklin, then switch back to online.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Not sure about how to report, but I'd love to hear about how one can ruin a golf game. Its instanced right, is he just not playing or is he able to cause some mayhem at the course?

hes deliberately messing about and taking ages to take a shot

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Finally made it through the intro video and am stuck with everyone else trying to kick off the race.

SOOOOO much failure here that could have easily been avoided with improved gating, load balancing and matchmaking.

All things that naturally flow from a solid beta period...

It's not entitled to say things like this because we all payed full price and Rockstar is making mad cash right now with the continued sales of this game. We can't even get a semi competent online component even though they had a little time to asses the situation with sales in order to gear up.

So are the PS3 servers just flat-out down? I've seen reports of 360 users getting farther than PS3 users even when they still can't join, whereas on the PS3 we never even get to a point where it says "Launching Session". As soon as the PS3 tries to contact the servers it just gives an error, almost as if there are no servers.

Seems to me like the 360 is suffering from being overloaded, but the PS3 version just seems to be completely broken. Am I the only one that 's getting this feeling?

So are the PS3 servers just flat-out down? I've seen reports of 360 users getting farther than PS3 users even when they still can't join, whereas on the PS3 we never even get to a point where it says "Launching Session". As soon as the PS3 tries to contact the servers it just gives an error, almost as if there are no servers.

Seems to me like the 360 is suffering from being overloaded, but the PS3 version just seems to be completely broken. Am I the only one that 's getting this feeling?

PS3 is still shit for me; I can't get anything, keeps erasing all my characters.

Double D

Finally got in!!

Didn't do anything special, just kept reloading. Loaded online mode through the loading screen. Only raced against Lamar. It was pretty easy, and you can bet on yourself, so you might as well bet a lot.

Top Bottom