• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

It's possible that Sony does have some fault in this, especially since the official Playstation twitter chimed in on helping Rockstar out, coupled with the fact that I haven't seen a single report of a confirmed PS3 user being able to play online, whereas it's just difficult for 360 users to get online.

I don't know what the difference would be that would cause the PS3 version to be having so much more trouble, but since it does seem to be platform specific, it's not impossible that it's at least partially Sony's fault.

With that being said, I'm counting on Sony to have a much better online infrastructure with PS4 due to paid online.

The main issue that I'm seeing is that Rockstar is using a cloud-based structure, and it can't handle the massive load. Decisions like not immediately offering the options to drop the player into a save-less free roam to have something is up to Rockstar.

And if you need that single report, my friend was playing, and if you really need it, I can take a picture of his stats (no I won't). I've gotten lucky to, at the most, drop in their joke of a free mode, so that's something.

...why not just abandon ship, play SP, and come back in a few days? It's not going to work for a day or two at the least...

Some people have busy lives and hoped that today would be the day they first experience the multiplay. I'm leaving either tomorrow or the day after, and won't be back for a while, if I get some slightly awful news. It's not fair to set a release date, call it unplayable, and have those with limited amounts of time forced to wait through.

That is different for all, and it's better to have it ready/a solution rather than shrugging when it happens and scrambling around like rats.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yes, and apparently white knighting for for-profit organizations is one of those things. Enjoy!

So choosing not to moan and groan about server issues and finding something more productive to do is now seen as white knighting. Gotcha.

There's nothing wrong with airing complaints, and there's nothing wrong with doing something different with your time. No need to insult those who choose to do either.

Spazznid

So, PS3 version here, I can get to the point where the car pulsl up and the game tells you failed to do job or whatever, but when that menu comes up, I can press Circle and Triangle a bunch and it shows the guy getting out of the car... Then the screen goes blurry, and when I press X I hear clicking, otherwise nothing affects the game... Can anyone else confirm, have Ideas?

moai

so it seems that because i have manual aim set on single player i am being matched with people with the same settings.
is that correct? the option is greyed out.

The Flash

Banned
So, PS3 version here, I can get to the point where the car pulsl up and the game tells you failed to do job or whatever, but when that menu comes up, I can press Circle and Triangle a bunch and it shows the guy getting out of the car... Then the screen goes blurry, and when I press X I hear clicking, otherwise nothing affects the game... Can anyone else confirm, have Ideas?

That happens on 360 as well but with the A button instead of course

Saganator

I've been able to get this point a couple times but nothing ever happens. I left it at the blurry screen for about 20 minutes once.

8byte

Banned
Some people have busy lives and hoped that today would be the day they first experience the multiplay. I'm leaving either tomorrow or the day after, and won't be back for a while, if I get some slightly awful news. It's not fair to set a release date, call it unplayable, and have those with limited amounts of time forced to wait through.

That is different for all, and it's better to have it ready/a solution rather than shrugging when it happens and scrambling around like rats.

Not that I'm trying to diminish the magnitude of your struggle but...it's just a video game. I mean, it'll be around for a while, so while it is unfortunate that it doesn't work...all of this trying, bickering, and finger pointing won't really change anything, unfortunately.

Then again... thisisneogaf.gif

And we did wait.

They really should have had a beta with limited people but it working for most of those limited people. Heck give it to the people the preordered, or got the limited editions, they could have been beta testing these two weeks. It being Rockstar, it probably would have spoiled the experience in their minds, hype would probably die down, I don't know, rockstar seem to like having so tightly behind their walls that problems like this can't be straightened out beforehand.

Yeah, would've benefitted greatly from a closely monitored beta. Maybe this'll learn 'em. ;)

Bowler

360 version faded city scape screen waiting for other players. Very first race. 20 minutes and the only button that works is the xbox button to escape to dashboard :/

Moosehole

Just wanted to chime in and say that the common belief that these things are just bound to happen and are par for the course are the main reason they keep happening. If we continue to accept these problems and tell devs that its ok then this is exactly what we will continue to recieve.

Does shit happen? Absolutely. But no one in their right mind can say for a second that Rockstar didn't know for a fact that this game was going to sell over 10 million copies. They should have been ready for that load.

At the absolute least GTAO should have been available day one so the servers could have been sorted out while most people were playing story mode still.

The Flash

Banned
Not that I'm trying to diminish the magnitude of your struggle but...it's just a video game. I mean, it'll be around for a while, so while it is unfortunate that it doesn't work...all of this trying, bickering, and finger pointing won't really change anything, unfortunately.

Bn6RfEp.gif

JackHerer

Played an 8v8 match where you have to fight over and retrieve a briefcase full of evidence and bring it to a specific place.

It was really fun and chaotic but damn the frame rate plummets when you have 16 players shooting and crashing into each other. Not to mention the dozens of cops in the mix. Drops to like 5-10 fps at times.

Marleyman

Banned
Played an 8v8 match where you have to fight over and retrieve a briefcase full of evidence and bring it to a specific place.

It was really fun and chaotic but damn the frame rate plummets when you have 16 players shooting and crashing into each other. Not to mention the dozens of cops in the mix. Drops to like 5-10 fps at times.

Ugh; that is really bad.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
At the absolute least GTAO should have been available day one so the servers could have been sorted out while most people were playing story mode still.

Not only that but if GTAO didn't work people would have played SP. But alot of people have beaten SP now

Tawpgun

1st Place :O

So intense.

I hope there are bigger deathmatch arenas. The uzi and shotty reign supreme in the ones ive played

To you, but this is my favorite hobby, and I'd love to partake in it. And once again, to you, this changes nothing, but had no idea pressing buttons after the fact when the game drops you during the race would lead to a blurry screen. Or that, at least for a short time, there are better ways to jump online than others.

What makes this all better is that we are sharing our anguish with each other. It's a video game board. Of course we will talk about video game related problems. Nobody says you have to be here quelling the storm, my friend. We all know it will pass.

Afro

1st Place :O

So intense.

I hope there are bigger deathmatch arenas. The uzi and shotty reign supreme in the ones ive played

So is free aim forced or can you use whatever you want whether it be aim assist, lock-on, free aim?

LvlNinety9

Neo Member
Ok for those on 360 this isn't a fix it's a possibility. I've seen one post where this didn't work for someone but it worked for me. I was having the same connection issues and the freeze at the first race and such but after going into settings and clearing my system cache I then started GTAV and went into single player mode and went to online from the pause menu. This worked for me and I got in right away no glitches or long waiting times. As one person said it didn't work for them I can't guarantee that it will work for you. But this worked for me. Good luck everyone and hope you guys get in soon.

LvlNinety9

Neo Member
So is free aim forced or can you use whatever you want whether it be aim assist, lock-on, free aim?

I think free aim is forced when you are playing against another player. I noticed that in the second mission against NPC's it went to target lock and when I did last team standing against other players it went to free aim.

Damn. I am having so much fun. GL to those still trying to get in. Well worth the wait. Just did a carjack mission that took FOREVER with 2 other guys.

I'm giving GTA Online one last try.

16 players and I have the lowest level, upgrades and weapons so I took the helicopter and flew to the military base. No stars. What? But when I landed, 4 stars. Damn! Managed to get the jet and flew back to town and killed som players with rockets to their faces. BLAM, BLAM BLAAAM!

Jumped out the jet and parachuted down to the gun store. Went inside and bought the UZI and maxed out the ammo. Went outside and stole a car when a police van chasing another player rammed my car and I died. What?

I respawned and some guy I owned with the jet shot me before my character could move and I died. He stayed put and when I respawned he shot me again and again.

Nope... this is not how I want to play GTA online. I want free mode from GTA 4 with free weapons scattered all over the map. I don't want an MMO where you level up and you need to buy shit to be able to play.

I deleted GTA Online.

KaYotiX

Banned

16 players and I have the lowest level, upgrades and weapons so I took the helicopter and flew to the military base. No stars. What? But when I landed, 4 stars. Damn! Managed to get the jet and flew back to town and killed som players with rockets to their faces. BLAM, BLAM BLAAAM!

Jumped out the jet and parachuted down to the gun store. Went inside and bought the UZI and maxed out the ammo. Went outside and stole a car when a police van chasing another player rammed my car and I died. What?

I respawned and some guy I owned with the jet shot me before my character could move and I died. He stayed put and when I respawned he shot me again and again.

Nope... this is not how I want to play GTA online. I want free mode from GTA 4 with free weapons scattered all over the map. I don't want an MMO where you level up and you need to buy shit to be able to play.

I deleted GTA Online.

you can make it so ppl cant attack you, you know that right?

My experience with GTA Online:
I played enough to get a garage. Now I've got a mechanic that can deliver my stuff anywhere. I'm going for a condo next. This is gonna be so addictive, I can tell.

Derrick01

Banned

I deleted GTA Online.

Why not just make a private game with friends?

Yep, so I'm just getting the waiting for other players screen where it shows the blurry cityscape.

I was talking to a friend who said that you only race Lamar...so why am I even waiting for other players?

And why don't they make this tutorial optional? Who are the idiots that think these things up? I'm just baffled.

Marleyman

Banned
Yep, so I'm just getting the waiting for other players screen where it shows the blurry cityscape.

I was talking to a friend who said that you only race Lamar...so why am I even waiting for other players?

And why don't they make this tutorial optional? Who are the idiots that think these things up? I'm just baffled.

My buddy told me the same thing. He got to race Lamar and it just tells me "waiting for other players"

I got in on Xbox 360 finally.

I ran the game from the dashboard and pressed (A) while it was loading to go straight to online. After the cutscene where the guy drives up to you in the car, it popped up a series of menus where I could choose what car I wanted to race with, and then I raced against Lamar. Then it threw me into a 4 player mission with 3 random people. Now I'm clothes shopping and all seems fine.

cdkee

Banned
Well, I can't even load the game. I'm stuck at the loading screen. This just started happening today, too. Can't play anything. Sigh..

edit: after loading for 15 minutes, I'm in online, launching session...

Top Bottom