• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Gspark

I have had it multiple times where my 360 freezes as I complete a mission. The game considers it bad sport!! Will this be fixed?

DoctorZ

After another doezen times walking into that circle I'm done for a bit. If people start getting in on PS3 post what method you used.

They should have just announced the launch being October 4th, then just put it up early and maybe it would be working by the time the official release date came.

Haines

Banned
You don't feel like you're jumping the gun a little?

aka this whole thread?

Its like nobody has been through a launch or read a word of what r* said about the online concerning problems, growing pains, shaping it to be what the players want and adding a ton of content...

Hell, Im not even going to play it til it gets a few of the patches out of the way. If your going to play it now and expect glory, you completely missed the point r* has tried to make. They made the SP everything they could, and only laid the infrastructure for the online.

Its the next few weeks when it will start getting better.

Bsigg12

Also, it's stuck playing this electronic music nonstop. If I could just get into this mission I would be good, I think there are so many people trying to do the first mission that its just queuing everyone up and stuck.

cdkee

Banned
OK so I can see me and a bunch of other people standing at this race at the beginning. It says "Launching session" in the bottom right hand corner. Is it worth waiting? Will anything happen?

aka this whole thread?

Its like nobody has been through a launch or read a word of what r* said about the online concerning problems, growing pains, shaping it to be what the players want and adding a ton of content...

Hell, Im not even going to play it til it gets a few of the patches out of the way. If your going to play it now and expect glory, you completely missed the point r* has tried to make. They made the SP everything they could, and only laid the infrastructure for the online.

Its the next few weeks when it will start getting better.

There's a stark difference between the growing pains of lag and such, and not being able to access the product reliably. What R said about the game's online was "it's going to be shit". They knew it would turn out like this, but they still released the product, and the consumers have every right to be angry at the lack of access.

Bsigg12

OK so I can see me and a bunch of other people standing at this race at the beginning. It says "Launching session" in the bottom right hand corner. Is it worth waiting? Will anything happen?

That's where I'm at. People keep walking away randomly, but I've been here for 10 minutes after I restarted and nothing yet. I'll let you know though.

Resilient

I'm giving GTA Online one last try.

16 players and I have the lowest level, upgrades and weapons so I took the helicopter and flew to the military base. No stars. What? But when I landed, 4 stars. Damn! Managed to get the jet and flew back to town and killed som players with rockets to their faces. BLAM, BLAM BLAAAM!

Jumped out the jet and parachuted down to the gun store. Went inside and bought the UZI and maxed out the ammo. Went outside and stole a car when a police van chasing another player rammed my car and I died. What?

I respawned and some guy I owned with the jet shot me before my character could move and I died. He stayed put and when I respawned he shot me again and again.

Nope... this is not how I want to play GTA online. I want free mode from GTA 4 with free weapons scattered all over the map. I don't want an MMO where you level up and you need to buy shit to be able to play.

I deleted GTA Online.

lmao at the way you highlighted and bolded that. stay salty.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Usually the people standing around is a hell no for me. Sometimes it reloads the marker and reshows the cutscene of the car rolling up.

When it gets to a hazy screen of the city it seems like it's getting somewhere, but I sat there and let the console idle in two different instances of it and still got nowhere.

Arcteryx

There really is no excuse for this kind of shit. Don't have the money for bandwith? then queue it by region.

I'd rather have to wait a day(or a few) and know it was going to work than have to deal with wasting an entire day with this shit(on top of corrupted saves and SP jank).

cdkee

Banned
Usually the people standing around is a hell no for me. Sometimes it reloads the marker and reshows the cutscene of the car rolling up.

When it gets to a hazy screen of the city it seems like it's getting somewhere, but I sat there and let the console idle in two different instances of it and still got nowhere.

I've been at both those instances earlier.

Still stuck waiting around with like 6 other people, every so often one walks away? Well this is kind of annoying.

When I hear 'growing pains' in regards to the launch of an online service, I'm thinking lag, disconnects, and maybe even some downtime - not complete inaccessibility for an entire day.

That PR really was a genius move.

you can make it so ppl cant attack you, you know that right?

Yep, but I don't want that. I want the old Free Mode back.

Why not just make a private game with friends?

Because I don't like the whole "MMO-level up-and-buy-stuff" thing.

lmao at the way you highlighted and bolded that. stay salty.

imagedhsqt.jpg

DoctorZ

When I hear 'growing pains' in regards to the launch of an online service, I'm thinking lag, disconnects, and maybe even some downtime - not complete inaccessibility for an entire day.

That PR really was a genius move.

I'm not confident it'll be accessible in days.

Got on to p,at for a few hours with three friends, it was pretty fun but the game needs more complex heists and the content creator ASAP.

Oh yeah, but no diving?! What the hell? One of the best parts of the game...

cdkee

Banned
I've been at both those instances earlier.

Still stuck waiting around with like 6 other people, every so often one walks away? Well this is kind of annoying.

Lol, it's daytime now and we're all standing around Launching Session.

Restarting.

njean777

What is this about corrupted saves? I downloaded the patch, but havent even tried to get in because I knew this is exactly what would happen. Does it only effect people who have tried to play online? I did not plan to touch the online for probably two weeks because it is gonna be bad until then probably.

Just wanted to chime in and say that the common belief that these things are just bound to happen and are par for the course are the main reason they keep happening. If we continue to accept these problems and tell devs that its ok then this is exactly what we will continue to recieve.

Yea because im sure the developers and publishers just love to apply unnecessary pressure and fan dissatisfaction on them selves, coupled with working extra hours simply because "well hey, people expect things not to work". Online services are difficult to manage and horrible to plan for, not to mention servers cost a lot and over compensating can in turn create just as many headaches.

Tawpgun

What's the deal with the Bank and Cash? I thought you could potentially lose all your cash if you didnt bank it. Doesn't seem like the case.

Also, I keep losing money I put into the bank what gives?

Yea because im sure the developers and publishers just love to apply unnecessary pressure and fan dissatisfaction on them selves, coupled with working extra hours simply because "well hey, people expect things not to work". Online services are difficult to manage and horrible to plan for, not to mention servers cost a lot and over compensating can in turn create just as many headaches.

Nobody expects them to have it figured out completely, but when R says shit like "it's going to be bad", they brought this on themselves.

So how am I supposed to play missions with friends? I'm playing in an invite only game with on friend and when we go to a mission it separates us.

Struct09

Finally got in after trying a bunch of times. 360 version booting straight into online. Seems to run OK after getting through that first race.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
There really is no excuse for this kind of shit. Don't have the money for bandwith? then queue it by region.

I'd rather have to wait a day(or a few) and know it was going to work than have to deal with wasting an entire day with this shit(on top of corrupted saves and SP jank).

Can't help but.wonder if there was some way they could've rolled out the online like retail with New Zealand first, then Australia, Japan and work there way West rather than BAM! The world is online at the same time and a mad rush for everyone to get on. Atleast if it was staggered the servers would slowly get full and R* would've had a better way of monitoring it.

duckroll

FAILED TO JOIN JOB OR ACTIVITY

Finally got in after trying a bunch of times. 360 version booting straight into online. Seems to run OK after getting through that first race.

How long was the wait? Which screen did you wait through?

"Launching session"
or
"Waiting for other players"?

I've tried waiting on both, neither are giving me any luck. I restart after 2 minutes of either with no progress.

Trouble

Banned

*eye twitch*

Furyous

Can't help but.wonder if there was some way they could've rolled out the online like retail with New Zealand first, then Australia, Japan and work there way West rather than BAM! The world is online at the same time and a mad rush for everyone to get on. Atleast if it was staggered the servers would slowly get full and R* would've had a better way of monitoring it.

The uproar would be worse if Americans had to wait. There'd be 100,000 angry nerd rants on youtube over this.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Yeah after trying all day, fuck this shit. I'm going to bed, will try tomorrow ONCE and then go do something else if it's still shit.

Saganator

I'm not confident it'll be accessible in days.

I don't like this mentality. How do you think it will become accessible? I'm confident it will as well, but how do you think it will come around? Do you think they will add the required infrastructure? If so, why didn't they do that during the 2 week window when they were making record sales? That should have been a pretty good indication they need to do some expanding. Or, will it become accessible due to enough people giving up hope and moving on to something else, possibly with a sour attitude towards the game and Rockstar? Do you feel the latter is acceptable? It makes business sense to try your hardest to get as many people hooked to your game when the iron is hot. How are people going to get hooked when they can't even play when they were told they were going to be able to? I highly doubt many PS3 players bought GTA$ today, Rockstar lost money for sure. I just really don't understand why some people think its okay for huge companies to bomb online launches so hard. I'm so tired of reading the words "due to unexpected server traffic" from multi billion dollar companies.

This game's online launch is worse than APB's. That game got absolutely trashed and it never recovered. I'm tempted to load that game back up.

Korosenai

The time it worked it went straight to it. It did a quick "Waiting for players", did the animation of me getting into the car, and then I was customizing my car and was in.

Damn. I'm sitting here waiting on the car race to start. It's said Launching Session for 22 in game hours now.

Nobody expects them to have it figured out completely, but when R says shit like "it's going to be bad", they brought this on themselves.

At least they acknowledged that "its going to be bad". I feel sorry for developers honestly, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I remember the internet blowing up at Blizzard not too long ago and EA with Sim City.

These teams are working their butts off trying to fix the problems while the community is sitting on message boards complaining about.

Gamers are such complainers......

Wow. Just tried logging back in for the first time in 9 or so hours and I'm still getting the same "Failed to host a GTA Online session." I downloaded the patch the minute it came out.

Damn you Rockstar :'(

Can't wait until I can finally play, the whole set up seems to be right down my alley.

kingkitty

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide.

No escape from reality.

Open your eyes...look up to the sky and see whereee the fuck is the race trigger Lamar, fuck you Lamar.

I got in! I created a female did the race by myself, got into free roam and was mowed down immediately. I Foolishly went to a "job" and got stuck in loading limbo. I now am afraid to make contact with strangers. I have the fear!

Top Bottom