• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I haven't even seen a single actual error message. All day I just get stuck in this purgatory of searching for people, which means I can't seem to back out and have to dashboard and reload the game to try again which takes forever.

So they shouldnt have said anything?

Something better than "we know it's going to be shit, but just deal with it?" would work better. Or just having better solutions to the problem, like not using the cloud data, or allowing us to jump in a non-save free roam to pass the time.

Or not release it in an unplayable state. That one would work well. The servers are bound to get trashed, that I get, but using shit like the cloud made it worse and I don't see why they even bothered with that.

At least they acknowledged that "its going to be bad". I feel sorry for developers honestly, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I remember the internet blowing up at Blizzard not too long ago and EA with Sim City.

These teams are working their butts off trying to fix the problems while the community is sitting on message boards complaining about.

Gamers are such complainers......

Yeah! Shame on us for making them rush the game! Shame on the gamer who wants more out of his purchase! Consumers are truly vile creatures.

They released it in this state, and they knew it was going to happen.I have a hard time aligning myself with their mindset if they didn't want a headache. The cloud stuff alone is a huge pain for them and I wish that route for them was much, much easier. Nobody said they had to release it now, and they certainly could have waited.

Saganator

I got in! I created a female did the race by myself, got into free roam and was mowed down immediately. I Foolishly went to a "job" and got stuck in loading limbo. I now am afraid to make contact with strangers. I have the fear!

Any future posts should be prefaced stating which console you're using, it would be a bit more helpful to us PS3 people.

Has it been confirmed whether or not its just not working for PS3 users? It would be nice if just they came out and said so if that was the case.

Defyler

I just played a deathmatch game where everyone was in their own helicopters and you'd track each other around the map and then either machine gun or missile them to death.

Such win.

erawsd

I agree that Rockstar bungled this badly. However, it's always interesting to me how much people are willing to torture themselves to play through these conditions. I checked in, saw it wasn't working and went on to something else. It's amazing that some folks have been trying for "hours".

GafferGamgee

Neo Member
Something better than "we know it's going to be shit, but just deal with it?" would work better. Or just having better solutions to the problem, like not using the cloud data, or allowing us to jump in a non-save free roam to pass the time.

Or not release it in an unplayable state. That one would work well. The servers are bound to get trashed, that I get, but using shit like the cloud made it worse and I don't see why they even bothered with that.

I am fairly sure that if they delayed the release they would of had compaints about the delaying of the release... Or if they had pulled the plug totally on it they would have been rubbished.... if they had announced no multiplayer it would have been brought up... Some games (Batman Arkham Origins) announce multiplayer and get rubbished for doing that...

I have to agree with Kolvenbach, but expand... its not just gamers, consumers in general complain way to much.

And I would say they bothered and will continue bothering with the cloud because when they do get it working it will be a leap fowared... We are always wanting things to be better but you cant get their without trying, failing and trying again... (by the way i am not just refering to Rockstar here but all devs who are trying things...)

Yeah! Shame on us for making them rush the game! Shame on the gamer who wants more out of his purchase! Consumers are truly vile creatures.

Rushed it? I recall many a comment on this board complaining about it being delayed and that online should of launched with the SP.

I stick to my comment that gamers (in general) are very hard on the teams that bring them the content that they love. Apparently love....

Rushed it? I recall many a comment on this board complaining about it being delayed and that online should of launched with the SP.

I stick to my comment that gamers (in general) are very hard on the teams that bring them the content that they love. Apparently love....

Online should have launched with the game but why delay it for 2 weeks and still have it be a fucking disaster?

Any future posts should be prefaced stating which console you're using, it would be a bit more helpful to us PS3 people.

Has it been confirmed whether or not its just not working for PS3 users? It would be nice if just they came out and said so if that was the case.

I am wondering the same thing my friend.

Oh, and nice avatar

EDIT: Also, if I acquire some GAF members PSN IDs, would we be able to play?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The uproar would be worse if Americans had to wait. There'd be 100,000 angry nerd rants on youtube over this.

Maybe but the reality is releasing it at Midnight in the US was peak time in the evening for many of us in the Southern hemisphere and lunchtime/after school/after work in Europe. If it was released at midnight and staggered as I suggested most people would be in bed in each country as it rolled out and I guarantee it wouldn't have been as much as a clusterfuck as the launch 18hrs ago with millions trying to get on at the same time.

ironcreed

Banned
I'll try it again in a few days or so. This is really kind of killing any desire to even play the online for me. I need to play something different anyway.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
"They made over a BILLION dollars in 3 days and they still can't launch a stupid F$cking online game!!1 I'm deleting it and trading my copy back in!!!!"

Kids these days. So entitled.

Got it up and running after about 5 or 6 tries through the day. Played until ~level 9. Xbox now refuses to connect to internet, so I guess I'm done for the day.

1. Crew play is awesome. A few matches it was splitting teams, but after we figured out the whole "Host and Invite" dealio, we were put on the same team
2. There are still assholes that do nothing but spawn camp and steal cars... but that's GTA. I don't know if there's a report system, but it'd be nice if they were all put into the same servers.
3. The create a character was cool and all, but I really disliked it. Took me too much time to get the character -close- to how I wanted him. Hopefully the unlocked haircuts will have something curly/wavy... all I could do was the chop off emo haircut.
4. I enjoy the actual storylike missions, but i've only gotten about two full on cutscenes with character interaction. Most others are just a pat on the back with little to no dialogue... i'm guessing because of the whole 'you don't talk much' thing. Halo: Reach route... wish they'd have just made 4-6 preset voices per sex and let you choose.
5. Can't wait for heists. Got 5 crew members total in on a robbery, that was kind of fun. Have yet to see any armored cars.
6. Speaking of not seeing things, when stealing my first car for the los santos stuff... The world seemed to be locked on Prius, shitty sedans, shitty SUVs, and shitty pickups. Found a banshee after another player died, drove that around until an NPC banshee finally spawned, stole that one... yet still couldn't claim it as my own. Now I'm stuck with a relatively crappy car until I have the cash to buy a midclass model.
7. Crew colors+emblems are interesting when applied to clothing. Can't understand why It's tilted on the back of shirts, but it's still cool none the less. Definitely will rep my crew as soon as I find something cool.

Went with this (Angry Superintendent from Halo: ODST) as the crew emblem:
halo_odst_hitchhiker_superintendent_desktop_1920x1200_hd-wallpaper-563966.jpg

See you guys around. Keep an eye out for the tag "TWP0" (and that's a zero, lol... stupid how we can't just have 3 letters for crew tags)

I am fairly sure that if they delayed the release they would of had compaints about the delaying of the release...

They bothered and will continue bothering with the cloud because when they do get it working it will be a leap fowared... We are always wanting things to be better but you cant get their without trying, failing and trying again... (by the way i am not just refering to Rockstar here but all devs who are trying things...)

And they would have had complaints, but it wouldn't be the same amount. Not even nearly the same. In fact, PR wise, it would have been better for them, since delivering a better experience would be a top priority rather than rushing things out for that dosh.

How do you know it'll be a leap forward? Things like not letting players use their own city for a save-less free roam are exactly because of the wonderful cloud.

Consumers shouldn't have to be guinea pigs. I'm not paying money to have something "tested" on me. They have betas they can run, and figuring how and what works is not the job of the consumer, in regards to spending money in hopes that it'll work out.

The game feels rushed in parts, and it's very, very obvious that this Online was rushed. I honestly don't think it's unreasonable for gamers to be upset when Rockstar knew the issue at hand, casually flung it off by telling us it would be bad (after they got our money, no less!), and now have to scramble and waste our time fixing it. Pesronal opinion, but the functions that are highly touted should work out of the box, and I don't mind a delay for that.

cdkee

Banned
There's some guy standing here with me at the Launching Session screen messaging me, tells me he's been trying to do this race for 11 hours lmao

breakfuss

You'd think with how many online launches have been disastrous in recent memory, this wouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

To be fair, COD launches are almost always flawless. And holy sh*t at this character creator, lol. Why is everyone so unrealistically ...attractive? *heehee*

I don't mean to sound negative. I'm happy that Rockstar is on the case. It's just that this whole thing could have been snuffed out a bit better.

Edit: PS3. Did the mission but somehow it froze. Restarted PS3 thinking it would have saved that competition, and it didn't. This salt could season your next meal.

GafferGamgee

Neo Member
And they would have had complaints, but it wouldn't be the same amount. Not even nearly the same. In fact, PR wise, it would have been better for them, since delivering a better experience would be a top priority rather than rushing things out for that dosh.

How do you know it'll be a leap forward? Things like not letting players use their own city for a save-less free roam are exactly because of the wonderful cloud.

Consumers shouldn't have to be guinea pigs. I'm not paying money to have something "tested" on me. They have betas they can run, and figuring how and what works is not the job of the consumer, in regards to spending money in hopes that it'll work out.

The game feels rushed in parts, and it's very, very obvious that this Online was rushed. I honestly don't think it's unreasonable for gamers to be upset when Rockstar knew the issue at hand, casually flung it off by telling us it would be bad (after they got our money, no less!), and now have to scramble and waste our time fixing it. Pesronal opinion, but the functions that are highly touted should work out of the box, and I don't mind a delay for that.

You see some great and grand conspiracies working amongst all of this dont you Spoiler lol...

Rockstar told us it would be a mess....

If i were to tell you I am going to punch you in the face in a week or two, would it sting any less?

J_Lee

Banned
At least they acknowledged that "its going to be bad". I feel sorry for developers honestly, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I remember the internet blowing up at Blizzard not too long ago and EA with Sim City.

These teams are working their butts off trying to fix the problems while the community is sitting on message boards complaining about.

Gamers are such complainers......

Really you feel sorry for developers why they mad the game it's their fault, we the customer have the right to angry when something doesn't work. Oh yes bring out poor poor EA and Sim City screwing the game up for at least a week, I don't understand why people want to be developer apologist it's sad.

They'll fix it, stop the crying.

Yes, it sucks that online is shot.

With all these people hammering a cloud-based online server, it's to be expected.

Crying and bitching won't change anything. It's just the nature of the beast.

Play other games in the meantime, and check back every now and then.

VVIS

Neo Member
I'm slightly surprised how bad this all turned out - but in a few weeks no one will care. And a few months when there's 20 million players, no one will care. MMO's have messed up launches, and fully expect all of these damn "cloud games" to as well.

bookmarked for future rant on "cloud"

cdkee

Banned
Ah well, doesn't look like I'll get to do this race tonight. I'll just go to sleep early, get my 7 hours. Hopefully it will work tomorrow after work.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Rockstar told us it would be a mess....

If i were to tell you I am going to punch you in the face in a week or two, would it sting any less?

This is more like "Hey, the party is going to be slow at first. After a few hours, it'll get poppin'!"

That is just sad.

Someone should make a comedic video of this. Guy sits down on couch, tries to access online, and gets stuck. He comes back randomly in the day, hopeful, only to get his spirits crushed.

Maybe this would be a black comedy, now that I think of it.

I'm slightly surprised how bad this all turned out - but in a few weeks no one will care. And a few months when there's 20 million players, no one will care. MMO's have messed up launches, and fully expect all of these damn "cloud games" to as well.

bookmarked for future rant on "cloud"

I'll care. Because I'll have waited and waited and got all puffy, then found out that none of my friends want to play and then I'll get puffy again.

I doubt anyone else would want to do dumb things like act drunk in free mode and goad cars into the train tracks so they can get hit.

Saganator

I am wondering the same thing my friend.

Oh, and nice avatar

EDIT: Also, if I acquire some GAF members PSN IDs, would we be able to play?

Thanks! You're the first to comment on it. Yes, you can play with PSN friends, you're not limited by crews if that is you're worried about. This is assuming the PS3 version works (which I'm pretty sure it isn't for anyone).

I'm more annoyed by the lack of updates. The one they had like 5 hours ago is pretty irritating the way its worded. Occasionally? Intermittent? Don't insult me. It's not working on PSN, someone please prove me wrong.

Top Bottom