• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Weird yesterday couldn't even log in with PS3 version. This morning worked first time and flawlessly for the hour I played.

Man this game is fun online, I really hope they sort out their issues quick because its something special.

Nemic77

PS3 here... Played for around 30 minutes until the game wouldn't join the mandatory last man standing mission.

I quit the game, tried going online again and the "character has been corrupted" message came on...

Just a word of warning. Your progress might not be saving.

shield

So I just hit level 10 and met Lester which unlocked the ability to set a bounty on other players and visit any properties my friends own. These are the features Lester grants you when you phone him (at higher levels):

Remove Wanted Level
Off the Radar
Reveal Players
Request Job
Locate a Boat
Locate a Helicopter
Locate a Car
Locate a Plane

I don't get Passive Mode; I turned it on thinking it would remove players from my game or something, but instead I was locked out of gunplay when some bonehead started chasing me down. I finally managed to get away and turn it back on then proceeded to kill him, but be wary of turning that on in a busy game. All people seem to do is try and kill each other.

Played the xbox version for about 2 hours last night after some initial connection issues.

I'm not sure I "get" it.

My friend joined me but how do I easily get to him? Do we have to join the rock star group and make a clan?

I started a star mission which was just team death match. Why is it a star on the map and not the symbol for team death match? Then afterwards there were votes for the next game type. Are these jobs? Or are these just playing game types.

You're a little confused which is not hard considering they explain fucking zip.

"Jobs" are the name for basic gameplay modes, Deathmatch, Race etc. This also includes "Missions" which are effectively deathmatch with lite objective flavouring applied,

The Co-Op content I think you are after is given by Mission givers, Simeon, Lamar, Gerald etc. These appear randomly via text and once you reach a high enough level you can request them. You launch them and have the option to invite friends, crew mates or players in your current "server"

Its got such a awful UI doing much of this is a nightmare. Even when you get past the bug ridden intro it feels very much like a beta.

I had some shallow fun in a private server last night with a group of 4 of us and we managed to do one mission which was recover drugs from a lost + vargo trade. Its incredibly simple stuff shoot 10 AI and then drive back round the corner.

Nothing feels polished, the character creator is a joke. Even when the issues are balanced out it seems like to much focus on PvP.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't get Passive Mode; I turned it on thinking it would remove players from my game or something, but instead I was locked out of gunplay when some bonehead started chasing me down. I finally managed to get away and turn it back on then proceeded to kill him, but be wary of turning that on in a busy game. All people seem to do is try and kill each other.

Passive mode stops people from being able to kill you and vice versa. So if you'd have left it on, chances are that guy wouldn't have been able to do anything to you.

Great, now PS3 gets the Launching Session hang up. Progress!
Now I recall reading that some 360 users had luck just leaving it at this screen, so I'll give it a few minutes before restarting.
Edit: 20 mins later... Nada :(

rhinosmitty

Neo Member
player is active on a job, do you want to spectate? I said Ok... and now im stuck with two guys right by my side (update.3. update again, 4) and I don't really know if i'm just supposed to wait.

This happened to me as well. Eventually just rebooted. Only issue for me so far has been trying to load these deathmatches.

Had a tense moment in Free Roam yesterday. Was walking to the clothes store to buy a sweet hoodie when I see a white dot screaming towards me on my mini map. I take cover behind a wall just as a GTA version of a Porche comes flying up and slams on his breaks. For a solid 3 minutes this guy was just idling in the intersection waiting for me to show myself. I thought about popping out and taking a few shots at him, but since he was in a Porche already I assumed he had better guns as well and I would have failed miserably.

For the very little amount of time this has worked, its been fun.

SeanR1221

You're a little confused which is not hard considering they explain fucking zip.

"Jobs" are the name for basic gameplay modes, Deathmatch, Race etc. This also includes "Missions" which are effectively deathmatch with lite objective flavouring applied,

The Co-Op content I think you are after is given by Mission givers, Simeon, Lamar, Gerald etc. These appear randomly via text and once you reach a high enough level you can request them. You launch them and have the option to invite friends, crew mates or players in your current "server"

Its got such a awful UI doing much of this is a nightmare. Even when you get past the bug ridden intro it feels very much like a beta.

I had some shallow fun in a private server last night with a group of 4 of us and we managed to do one mission which was recover drugs from a lost + vargo trade. Its incredibly simple stuff shoot 10 AI and then drive back round the corner.

Nothing feels polished, the character creator is a joke. Even when the issues are balanced out it seems like to much focus on PvP.

Ok that makes more sense.

And as you do more game types or jobs you level up unlocking new stuff.

Eh...for as great as single player is it all just feels messy.

ViviOggi

Same, PS3 version. Think I might just reboot the console.

The home button worked for me in the end and I quit the game from there. Still have to go through the entire loading time every time though.

Had the "Launching session" running for 10 minutes now, race still hasn't started but so far I've heard a German and a British guy complain about their game not starting on voice chat.

w2000

A restart of the ps3 worked for me. I did the race and now it's trying to load the next part. Seems to take a while though.

anddo0

The solo stuff seems issue free.

I'm having issues connecting with others.
The "Cypress Flats LTS" has been loading forever.

Working for me now too. On PS3

Shame I just found out today I'm being evicted from my house in just over a week. Guess I can play this a little before then... Sigh :(

PS3 player in Aus here.

Managed to boot into online from the loading screen, got into car, "waiting for other players" message appeared before going to the blurred cityscape screen with "launching session". I heard that meant it was broken, so I exited to XMB and repeated, but got the exact same process as above. So, I just waited, and in 30 seconds the menu with car choice, etc. popped up.

Managed to race against Lamar, no other players. Only did the next mission, and got into the online portion where I could see other players, before quitting. Unfortunately after a whole day of trying, this only happened when I was thinking of heading to sleep :/

Looks like I'll be up early to play tomorrow!

meep!

Neo Member
Maybe my expectations for Online was kind of wrong but I don't find this very fun at all. So far it just seems like a bunch of instances minigames scattered about the map, different deathmatch types and races, and a freeroam grief mode.

I don't know, but I was kind of expecting them to use the random events system from the Singleplayer where nearby players would get into different missions in the persistent world and not sit and wait to match make everything you want to do.
I guess I was thinking this would be a bit more MMOish rather than the freeroam just a lobby for the minigames.

Which takes me to my other issue. Getting kicked from servers all the time. Since I was expecting this to be more MMOish in terms of design I found it pretty ridiculous you can kick people out of a server. Especially when you are about to do a mission and you get counted as a bad sport because of this.

So I just hit level 10 and met Lester which unlocked the ability to set a bounty on other players and visit any properties my friends own. These are the features Lester grants you when you phone him (at higher levels):

Remove Wanted Level
Off the Radar
Reveal Players
Request Job
Locate a Boat
Locate a Helicopter
Locate a Car
Locate a Plane

This sounds really cool. I want in.

erawsd

Another potential exploit is simply using your phone to random join any job after griefing. I don't know what the other player sees, but I've done this to insta teleport out of chaos in free roam

Eh, the more I read the more I worry. Sounds like even if the servers were perfect, the game itself is full of obtuse design decisions and griefing. Figured they would have learned from Red Dead.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Even the Ammunations have more weapon colour choices, why are clothes and this sort of stuff a bit lacking in the Story compared to GTAO? I mean, damn right I want to use a Pink minigun as Trevor while causing mayhem.

eival

i really hate the fact they have 4-5 ways into Online, but only 1 direct way actually lets you set it to private or solo, which is also the only way that gives you the option to keep hitting X to retry the servers

starting a Solo session and its still trying to sync me with other players, i just saw like 4 people in the parking lot spawn next to me...get it together already Rockstar.

doby

The load times are horrendous. Obviously stinted by the server load, but its really difficult to judge whether its actually loading or just hanging.

Top Bottom