• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I managed to play some of this today. As soon as I finished the first race the game crashed. I reloaded online and I then did that little mission. Then I robbed a store with one other player. The game then said you have to stick together to share the money or something but we were already in separate cars so I just kind of followed him and hoped he went to a good spot to lose the wanted level. He did not. He parked in an alley and never left his car, while I climbed the ladder of a building to get out of sight. Police saw him but didn't see me, but apparently just seeing him counts as seeing me. I was forced to come down the ladder and got shot before I could get in my car. Meh.

Anyway I did the mandatory los santos customs thing and then attempted to do the last man standing deathmatch. I got kicked back in to single player as I was trying to join a match. I loaded online again. I got invited to something. I attempted to join and got kicked back to single player again. This happened several times.

I then hosted my own team deathmatch. I attempted to invite lots of people but only 3 people joined. I waited and waited but eventually decided just to do a 2 on 2 deathmatch. The good news is that it matched me with other free aim players. My team won. Then we had to vote for the next game but then I got kicked back to single player before the next game would start. It's at this point where I said fuck it. This is too annoying.

Oh and I'd just like to say one more thing. Online has a feature where you can buy stuff in stores for your inventory, which can be used to replenish health. WHY THE FUCK IS THIS FEATURE NOT IN SINGLE PLAYER!?

Astery

my character got deleted for no reason after failing to connect to the cloud once.
It's frustrating to make another decent looking character. :(

eival

With all the talk about characters not saving and stuff getting deleted, I honestly wonder what Rockstar will do for the people who actually buy the cash microtransactions only to find their characters gone after that. It's going to be pretty funny (for us, not for them!).

your cash doesnt go away, all your characters have the same bank account, but your rank and unlocks are tied to the character.

thats their out, i guarantee they thought that part thru when designing it.

they can care less about any other aspect along as legally they're covered, too busy making back door deals with Apple for exclusive app access when its only 20% of the mobile market

just make sure to update the support page "oh yeah were totally working on these servers, see we edited it to say a more recent time for "updates", so that means were actually paying for more servers!"

and dont complain cause remember, this was FREE (count the number of times that word is shown on the rockstar website) i mean who assumes a 2013 title would have mutliplayer, let alone a current gen Rockstar game, its not like any of the others had MP, you got your $60's worth with the singleplayer and should be grateful to have an unusable Online mode added 2 weeks later, your microtransactions are stored locally so feel free to keep buying more cash since you'll have to start over and over from rank 1 and want to hurry up that process and "pay to win" as your progress is deleted frequently

duckroll

your cash doesnt go away, all your characters have the same bank account, but your rank and unlocks are tied to the character.

Oh, wow. That's interesting. I had no idea. So glad I put all my money in the bank so far. It's only about 7-8k, but still, it would be useful for buying more clothes if my character gets deleted!

anddo0

So my character just randomly deleted itself after my first job =/

Yeah. I wouldn't get too attached.

The problem I'm seeing is mission transition. If you get stuck there it's a crap shoot weather your character gets deleted or not after restarting the game.. It's probably best to wait after quitting the game. The cloud servers are so screwed up right now.

shield

Your character isn't "deleted" if the cloud servers are down, it'll be available again once the servers are back up. You're just creating/using a temporary character in the mean time.

anddo0

thats their out, i guarantee they thought that part thru when designing it.

they can care less about any other aspect along as legally they're covered, too busy making back door deals with Apple for exclusive app access when its only 20% of the mobile market

just make sure to update the support page "oh yeah were totally working on these servers, see we edited it to say a more recent time for "updates", so that means were actually paying for more servers!"

I don't think so.. If that were the case I'd have like 20k. I just started over and all I have is my race winnings.

Breemin

That is what IT infrastructure is for... I do think R* could have afforded a great crew.

I have been doing that for almost 20 years and I know exactly what they were lacking... Its not as complicated as some make it out to be. Its a sad thing really.

gtavonlinejet1_by_xbulletz-d6oxq2t.gif

Spirit3

Day 3 - My attempts at even getting to the first race continue to evade me and now it appears that the clouds have dispersed. Oh thou shall never geteth to play thy online game of Grand Theft. I mean it's 1am in Australia, who the heck could even be playing right now?

besada

Banned
That is what IT infrastructure is for... I do think R* could have afforded a great crew.

I have been doing that for almost 20 years and I know exactly what they were lacking... Its not as complicated as some make it out to be. Its a sad thing really.
Given the money invested and made, not having top flight network guys would be inexcusable.

Why is it so hard to get a match started?? It's like as if no one is playing.. It takes forever to get a full party and there's like 3 menus you have to go through before things start. It's a nuisance setting things up just to play a quick match.

eival

I don't think so.. If that were the case I'd have like 20k. I just started over and all I have is my race winnings.

it still shows my cash, i have like 15k but only 1 character shows up, but now ive created a new one so i have 3 but theres only 2 slots so maybe it will give me the option to delete one or just do it for me, idk

the cash and rank go hand in hand anyways, i still cant buy a silencer till rank 5 and so on

i cant wait for the entire next gen of Cloud based gaming.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
1 billion in profits and rockstar fuck off on holiday leaving the online unplayable, They seen us gamers coming that's for sure.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
really annoyed, 3hrs work down the pan as it randomly didnt save my progress despite the fact the servers were ok, 31k down and now lvl 7 when i was 10

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
really annoyed, 3hrs work down the pan as it randomly didnt save my progress despite the fact the servers were ok, 31k down and now lvl 7 when i was 10

What happened to console companies doing some quality control on games for the systems ?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
There are apartment and garages everywhere, I'm not sure if you can own more than one, but there seems to be garages especially for holding cars, about 6, and apartments seem to come with a 2 car garage, not sure if you can have both though.

Ask if they are hiring.

Well damn, I'm stuck at the "launching session" sequence. Right after where it usually kicks me out of the intro too. My character is standing there in the parking lot, there,s some people near me but that's it, keeps changing of people but doesn't launch.

Con_Smith

Banned
Having been trying to get into Online itself for the past 30 mins and only seeing cloud error messages has me pretty pissed at any company that thought this was ready for next gen.

Spending my time looking at menus is not what I came here for.

This is much worse then any other 1st day online I have experienced. Even with 10m people buying Diablo 3 in the first few days, I was still able to get online and play within 3 hours of the midnight digital launch.

I tried atleast 50x yesterday to jump into a solo online game and it never worked. That is pretty unprecedented if you ask me. SimCity, could play 1st day. Diablo 3, could play first day. Big MMO release ( SWG, WoW, Star Wars Old Republic, Guild Wars, etc. ) could play 1st day.

GTAV - nope.

After 1 BILLION dollars in profit in 3 days you think they could have afforded the best network team, the absolute best servers, etc.

They could have been smart and added a queue system into the game really. Would not have been hard. Keep your servers at capacity and let people know how long it will be until they can play. People try to hate on the queue system, but what is worse? Overloaded servers without pause or keeping your servers online. Atleast with a queue system of some sort, you would have played yesterday and today.

pringles

Lol. Join a Deathmatch with 2 vs. 1, right before the game I join the other team so it's 3 vs 0, game starts and ends = 1.5k and 800 RP. This game is exploitable.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I lost my character as well. Ugh.

Oh and for the guy asking where to find an ATM, if you hold select there's an option to mark a quick GPS location. Scroll through the options there and it'll put a waypoint to an ATM location.

Aenima

How do i make a gesture online?

Finally managed to advance in the tutorial but looks like social club is down and so my char desappearded too.

Top Bottom