• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

PS3 online up and running? Looks like it is for some people.

Cool, I'll give it a try later.

Seems like it was for me a few hours ago. I was able to play a bit before i had to log off for work. Was able to reach level 4. Im hoping when i get home tonight that it doesnt erase my character though.

"Launching Session" is all I'm seeing with a background of the city and "settings, players, details" all empty.

Plus it keeps time in the right corner of how much time you've wasted on that screen just to infuriate you. lol

Moosehole

Well my character is gone. Awesome. This while experience is starting to upset me. I guess I'll give it a rest for a while.

Still getting the same message as yesterday. "cannot connect to cloud servers at this time." It isn't even trying. I am concluding that I am not allowed to play online.

Arcteryx

This mentality really brings sadness to my heart.
Can you name a SINGLE game that has had a smooth start for MP, even with millions of players attempting to connect at launch?
Look at COD, for example. It's a Multiplayer title. That's what sells copies: the multiplayer. Yet every single launch, their shit crashes and can't connect for days.

We're going into day two of a game that sold over a billion dollars worth of copies in 3 days. The servers are overloaded right now.

Give them some damn time.

You're acting like this launched DAY ONE...when it launched 2 weeks later. In reality it should have launched a month or more later.

Rockstar's Servers ....

0_0.jpg

You're acting like this launched DAY ONE...when it launched 2 weeks later. In reality it should have launched a month or more later.

Yeah that is what I thought as well. They have had 2+ weeks and major profits to get this server network ready for the online launch.

There is no excuse for this stuff. This is worse then any other online launch I have ever been a part of .... which is just about all of them.

Look at COD, for example. It's a Multiplayer title. That's what sells copies: the multiplayer. Yet every single launch, their shit crashes and can't connect for days.

WTF? Do you even play CoD? I've bought every title at launch since MW2, and I've never had a problem with multiplayer network connections. Can you even imagine if CoD had multiplayer problems? People would lose their shit over it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Got an email when playing as a lady to go see the strippers, so why not, lol, just a guy playing a lady appreciating some ladies, I do wonder if you can some of them home like in SP, haven't seen a prostitutes yet either so see if that is amusing exactly the same.

huh, seems like a lot but I havn't had chance to play yet so maybe you can earn that money in a couple of hours or so.

Isn't too bad, I'm on 8k currently and have only been robbing the occasional place as I drive past and a couple of missions, and that is after dying a couple times and losing money. I'm only in solo play at the moment, so I imagine playing online with lots of things to do would be bringing in more money per hour.

ZenVolta

Yeah, I hope the higher level deathmatches unlock soon where the maps are bigger and you have snipers/AR's.

GTA close quarters is kinda janky and the shotgun is crazy powerful.

^^ Regarding that, is there anyway to get the body armor off of me. I don't even had body armor according to my blue bar, but the actual body armor is still on my character. I gotta rep the GAF logo.

Also, Ya'll should clear up room in NeoGANG. Hard to imagine all 300 players are active.

I think its under clothing like if you hold back you can take it off.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
WTF? Do you even play CoD? I've bought every title at launch since MW2, and I've never had a problem with multiplayer network connections. Can you even imagine if CoD had multiplayer problems? People would lose their shit over it.

That's a completely different beast. GTA has far more shit going on.

doby

Just got kicked from my solo session for being idle because it was stuck 'loading' from the satellite view. Just stupid.

That's a completely different beast. GTA has far more shit going on.

"Far more shit going on"? What does that even mean? The main issue right now isn't strange bugs that are causing problems in online play, the problem is you can't even do online play right now.

RockstarDefenseGAF is just plain ridiculous. There is no excuse for a game's online launch to fail this badly. NONE.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Like what?

There are very obviously a lot more systems at play than in CoD, which is pretty static in comparison.

"Far more shit going on"? What does that even mean? The main issue right now isn't strange bugs that are causing problems in online play, the problem is you can't even do online play right now.

RockstarDefenseGAF is just plain ridiculous. There is no excuse for a game's online launch to fail this badly. NONE.

Cool your boots, guy, I'm not defending anything. I just don't think it is a fair comparison.

Man.....this game. I ended up finally being able to get past the tutorial street race around 11 last night. I was able to hookup with a friend and play without any problems for the most part. Even in a private room he created.

A long night of robbing liquor stores and splitting the take. Played some missions from contacts. Took a break and did some arm wrestling then went to play a set of tennis, followed by a stop at the strip club where I got kicked out of the VIP section when I lost all my money. I got drunk at the bar while my buddy finished getting a lap dance. Drove to Mt. Chilidad and grabbed some parachutes, then headed to the airport and stole a helicopter. We then flew to the military base and skydived into it together and stole fighter jets.

I ended up going to bed around 4am to a less than thrilled girlfriend.(she wasn't able to connect to GTA Online. lol.)

I regret nothing.

Can't seem to connect today. And as a result I've seen about every scene possible with Michael and his family. I've also blown them up with sticky bombs numerous times. Some great photo opportunities, but can't take photos because of fucking Rockstar.

Gorillaz

The thing with that comparison is cod MP didn't launch 2 weeks later. They are 2 different beast though. It would have been best just say online is fucked instead of giving passive answers like "growing pains".

I'm more worried about the money exploit than the other two (connectivity and loss of data). The other two will work out in time but the money exploit could just ruin the whole thing.

Evil Beaver

Man.....this game. I ended up finally being able to get past the tutorial street race around 11 last night. I was able to hookup with a friend and play without any problems for the most part. Even in a private room he created.

A long night of robbing liquor stores and splitting the take. Played some missions from contacts. Took a break and did some arm wrestling then went to play a set of tennis, followed by a stop at the strip club where I got kicked out of the VIP section when I lost all my money. I got drunk at the bar while my buddy finished getting a lap dance. Drove to Mt. Chilidad and grabbed some parachutes, then headed to the airport and stole a helicopter. We then flew to the military base and skydived into it together and stole fighter jets.

I ended up going to bed around 4am to a less than thrilled girlfriend.(she wasn't able to connect to GTA Online. lol.)

I regret nothing.

HDdHa.gif

I'm more worried about the money exploit than the other two (connectivity and loss of data). The other two will work out in time but the money exploit could just ruin the whole thing.

Eh, the only thing it ruins is Rockstar's ability to make bank on those microtransactions. I'm okay with that.

OG Loc

I'm off today so I figure I'll check and see if this piece of shit is actually up and running today. Boot up online from the pause menu and find that my character is deleted.
OK, no biggie. Not like I was even able to do a mission with him yesterday. So I create another ugly muthafucka and now I'm timing out when trying to join a session. Be it solo or invite only.
LOL way to go

Saganator

Son of a............

So I got in this morning. Got passed that god damn first race. Did the entire tutorial. Thought I was good, realized my headset wasn't set up and I also wanted to connect to my friend, so I quit. Big mistake. Now I don't see my characters, once I create a new one and try to start the stupid race again, blue circle is gone, glitched game. This... again....

Stupid me for thinking they fixed it.

Merino

Blegh, loading the game from start up once again. I've seen every single error by now and had the game crash at various different loading screens yet still not been able to get past the first race in either solo or online mode.

Siegmeyer

In on PS3 in the UK! Solo session only mind. Still couldn't start a regular game.

Let's see how long this lasts.

Not long it seems. Lamar picked me up, the character walked automatically to the race marker and got in the car, and now the screen has locked up. Audio still playing though.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Played a bit before my PS3 went into hyper mode. Didn't do much. Hard to find a match for anything considering a lot of people still can't get in.

geebee

Banned
Did anyone else get really bad texture pop-in during the otherwise awesome GTA Online intro? I'm on 360 and have the game installed on both the X360 hard drive and a USB flash drive.

Shipwrecked

Neo Member
Ladies and gentlemen, we are playing a beta. Rockstar kindly reminded us to behave like beta testers. They should of straight out said this was gonna be a testing phase so I wouldnt of bothered with my time.

Tawpgun

First of all....

I don't know anything about online networking and all that shit.

But I think its one thing to have a "smooth" launch of CoD multiplayer Day 1 or any other multiplayer/online game... and to launch something as MASSIVE as GTA Online.

The amount of people logging on is one thing, but when you account for the SCALE of the online experience its truly amazing.

Kobalty

Played for about 2 hours $5k in the bank rank 4 and a nice car aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd its gone its all gone. I'm getting real tired of this shit!

UK PS3 if it matters :(

I was online with a full batch of 16, went to a 2-4 deathmatch and invited everyone, came in 3rd, and when I backed out of selecting a follow up deathmatch there were only 2 of us left in the world. :(.

Then he starte shooting at me, I shot back and his car eventually blew up killing him, and it gave me bad rep. :(. Not doing that again.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Played for about 2 hours $5k in the bank rank 4 and a nice car aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd its gone its all gone. I'm getting real tired of this shit!

UK PS3 if it matters :(

Damn, I got up to rank 5 on PS3. Hope it saves, that would blow to do it again. :(

Top Bottom