• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Sectus

That's a completely different beast. GTA has far more shit going on.

I'm curious about this. As far as I understand, COD uses servers for this:
- Matchmaking.
- A lot of player stats and settings are saved online.
- Leaderboards.

Isn't that exactly the same as the stuff GTA uses servers for? I guess there's player created jobs which might be saved online, but that's a non-issue since that feature isn't there yet.

I highly doubt if your guys' characters are actually gone. It's more likely you aren't getting to the right server. Even if it says the cloud servers are up that doesn't mean it is the one with your shit on it.

It is highly unlikely servers wiped from being overloaded. I would say impossible. Unless R* manually decided to delete shit. Which I would assume they would inform people of.

This is a network thing not a storage issue. You all that are going crazy need to relax. It is still a fun SP game and this shit will get ironed out.

Please understand. ;)

Yep... Day 2 on X-Box, still fubar. I played solo with a quick create character, but there's no fun in not having anything save, so I just quit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious about this. As far as I understand, COD uses servers for this:
- Matchmaking.
- A lot of player stats and settings are saved online.
- Leaderboards.

Isn't that exactly the same as the stuff GTA uses servers for? I guess there's player created jobs which might be saved online, but that's a non-issue since that feature isn't there yet.

I'm no expert, but doesn't GTA's servers have to also deal with that massive open world thingy?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Man, some of these missions are a pain to do alone, getting chased while driving a slow ass vehicle while the bad guys all have pinpoint shoot you through the tiny window on the back is annoying.

Will probably play around a bit then see if I can jump into a public game to do missions, gotta stay on and make sure the character is saved online, seems data saving is being iffy at the moment.

BadHand

Played for about 2 hours $5k in the bank rank 4 and a nice car aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd its gone its all gone. I'm getting real tired of this shit!

UK PS3 if it matters :(

As much as I'm looking forward to play this game online, I think i'll give it a week.

Swift

Neo Member
Yesterday i somehow managed to get everything sorted nice and easy, got up to level 10 with a decent amount of money in the bank and this morning? GONE! I just about managed to make a new character this morning and for the last 5 hours have been trying to start the initial race part of the tutorial. :(

harrytang

so whats stopping someone from doing a closed game and racing themselves winning first every-time? same xp whether racing against anyone or not. this seems stupid.

besada

Banned
Got in, it skipped the opening race because the trigger isn't showing up. So I'm just running around capping people and depositing their cash.

Merino

Well I'm giving up for today. Just had to go through character creation again and after 30 tries the race is still making the game crash forcing an entire reboot (takes so fucking long).

Well at least was able to see the opening cinematic. Thats already more than I was able to do yesterday.

Does anyone know how to change your personal vehicle. I have a muscle car that doesn't go well with my bad bitch business women persona. I want that fake audi car and I can't find it

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
You're acting like this launched DAY ONE...when it launched 2 weeks later. In reality it should have launched a month or more later.

Online launched yesterday. So, for the online component, we're entering DAY TWO.
As they said before, they switched between internal testing and millions of people hitting their servers. There are obviously going to be hiccups.

Lol, this reminds me of the Halo 3 launch, too.

And in reply to the user who asked if I actually played CoD, yes. And every single launch, their forums crash from the amount of users saying they can't connect to servers. It's a yearly endeavor.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very sure gameplay servers are hosted by players. Which games like Saints Row 2-4, GTA 4, and other open world games have done.

Fair enough.

Consoles having to deal with that whole open world thingy with 16 players, all it's interacting systems (NPCS, car damage, explosions, trains etc.), and all on their lonesome is pretty incredible. CoD just has, what, 16 players in an empty, unchanging map...? I don't think that's a fair comparison, whereas the games you listed above are much more appropriate. That's all I was getting at.

Arcteryx

It's kind of working on PS3 for me atm: was able to do the first and second mission/drive around, but when I quit to SP it deleted my MP character again.

Got in, it skipped the opening race because the trigger isn't showing up. So I'm just running around capping people and depositing their cash.

I know it is great. *whisper....don't tell anyone you can deposit money to your account just by using your phone*. Let them keep going for ATMs so we get the profits. Hahaha.

And in reply to the user who asked if I actually played CoD, yes. And every single launch, their forums crash from the amount of users saying they can't connect to servers. It's a yearly endeavor.

Their forums crash? Maybe because some idiots don't know how to plug the ethernet cable into their Xbox? That I'd believe.

I've played day one on CoD titles and never had any problem at all. If there were huge, significant issues, we'd all know about it. It would be big news (as the GTA Online failure was yesterday). CoD doesn't have these problems.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
fucking random asshole started shooting at me when i left the barber shop. great. hey it's multiplayer alright

I was in the middle of looking at tattoos yesterday, some rando shot the artist and I was backed out of the menu. Luckily I had a sawed-off and blasted that asshole before he could kill me.

Their forums crash? Maybe because some idiots don't know how to plug the ethernet cable into their Xbox? That I'd believe.

I've played day one on CoD titles and never had any problem at all. If there were huge, significant issues, we'd all know about it. It would be big news (as the GTA Online failure was yesterday). CoD doesn't have these problems.
Google "Cod Launch Day Issues". It is "big news", followed by a post by IW or Treyarch stating that they are working on the issues and to be patient. I've gotten to play a bit of GTAO with minimal issues, so I guess we're each lucky. You get COD on launch, I get GTAO at launch. Yippee!

Evil Beaver

fucking random asshole started shooting at me when i left the barber shop. great. hey it's multiplayer alright

I was with a crew member holding up a store together. Didn't want to leave a witness so I press RT to shoot the clerk, and instead my character pivots to face my friend, pistol whips my crew member, and kills him.

I felt so bad.

w2000

Heres to hoping the cloud servers come back up fast. Got this picture before all this started happening (went to do the Last Team Standing after this)

0_0.jpg

Google "Cod Launch Day Issues". It is "big news", followed by a post by IW or Treyarch stating that they are working on the issues and to be patient. I've gotten to play a bit of GTAO with minimal issues, so I guess we're each lucky. You get COD on launch, I get GTAO at launch. Yippee!

Nope, not seeing them. Just seeing issues about CoD Elite, which had nothing to do with actually playing the game.

Please point me to these news articles that state CoD multiplayer was unplayable for days after launch.

Sectus

Fair enough.

Consoles having to deal with that whole open world thingy with 16 players, all it's interacting systems (NPCS, car damage, explosions, trains etc.), and all on their lonesome is pretty incredible. CoD just has, what, 16 players in an empty, unchanging map...? I don't think that's a fair comparison, whereas the games you listed above are much more appropriate. That's all I was getting at.

It's kinda comparing apples and oranges though. COD has to send data for killcams, it probably has a much more detailed hit detection system which might require more network traffic, and other differences. GTA is a more complex game, but I think they found some "easy" solutions. The biggest challenge would be traffic and pedestrians and I assume they have a system where they have a seed which is in sync for each player and the behavior works out the exact same way. So they'd only have to send network packets for when things differ (that is, when players directly interacts with specific cars and pedestrians).

GTA's netcode was probably more challenging to make, but then again, this is all stuff which affects players only since players host themselves, it doesn't have a thing to do with Rockstar's servers.

I guess the problem is that Rockstar didn't expect the userbase to become this big, and they couldn't react fast enough. I don't see this being fixed unless there's less people playing the game or until Rockstar gets enough servers up.

Future

To be fair, most website buckle to the masses logging in trying to do the same action at the same time. I've never seen anything online really handle when a massive amount of users do anything simultaneously

What sucks is how the game handles it. Cannot cancel "launching session" in game and forced to reboot to dashboard. Forced all gather and do the same crappy tutorials at once when the open world segments actually work. It's designed so if everything doesn't go smoothly, you are fucked.

Like the bullshit camera in single player. If it can't contact a server, no pics for you!

I wonder --

Did anybody who was in the beta run into any of these issues? Like, with the opening race just not starting, or other glitches? Can anybody talk about these?

Mr.Fresh

The only COD the was fucked up on Launch day was MW2 on PS3 but it was fixed like 10 hrs later. I have bought everyone this gen on Day 1 and never had problems.

Plasmid

I wonder --

Did anybody who was in the beta run into any of these issues? Like, with the opening race just not starting, or other glitches? Can anybody talk about these?

Beta ran fine. There are probably 1-2 million people at a time trying to play. The servers are simply overloaded.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So, are there no planes online? I stole a helicopter, but flying around it seems all the ones you could normally fly in the airport just aren't there at all. Have they locked out them all besides the fighter jet? That would really be lame otherwise.

BraXzy

Ffs I'm still getting stuck on Launching Session! Why have some people managed to get through, and I can't on day 2! -.-

Is it worth re-downloading the patch... again?

I was in the middle of looking at tattoos yesterday, some rando shot the artist and I was backed out of the menu. Luckily I had a sawed-off and blasted that asshole before he could kill me.

Some people are making these instances sound like a chore and annoying (not saying this quoted post was). THIS is the kind of stuff I was looking forward to. It sounds fun to be in the middle of a store robbery and having some random dude come in, take the cash and blow away both of us. I mean what were people expecting given what we've seen in RDR and GTA4 multiplayer?

Gawge

Level 6 - just went to do a 'quick job' and got stuck on the screen where you are zoomed in a birds-eye view.

Hopefully I don't lose my rank or anything.

Agree with others about games like CoD, and even Fifa - massive releases without any severe issues. Would it be cynical to think that Rockstar have projected how much capacity they will need for 2-4 weeks time, and stuck with that, rather than spend on capacity that will only be used for the first week or so?

NeoGiff

Managed to get a couple of hours in earlier today on the PS3, got up to rank 6 and had about $10k in the bank...just logged back in there and my character is gone. Any idea if this a permanent thing or will lost characters be back when R* sorts everything out?

I'm really not in the mood to have to do everything all over again with the possibility of the same thing happening anyway, so I'm avoiding playing until everything is ironed out. Get your shit together, R*.

Theecliff

Banned
Ok, what the hell do I actually do? Finally managed to get on, the intro finished and the tutorial started and it then nothing happened. It's telling me to go to the race trigger, which I am - but nothing's happening. Anyone else having this problem? I'm getting really annoyed, been waiting for this for a long time and between this and the shitty character creator I can only hope that when it's up and running it better be as good as it should be.

Ryhian

So, are there no planes online? I stole a helicopter, but flying around it seems all the ones you could normally fly in the airport just aren't there at all. Have they locked out them all besides the fighter jet? That would really be lame otherwise.

I personally havent been able to get on, but ive read posts here and seen some streams where you can steal and pilot fighter planes in the military base.

Top Bottom