• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

idonteven

Level 6 - just went to do a 'quick job' and got stuck on the screen where you are zoomed in a birds-eye view.

Hopefully I don't lose my rank or anything.

Agree with others about games like CoD, and even Fifa - massive releases without any severe issues. Would it be cynical to think that Rockstar have projected how much capacity they will need for 2-4 weeks time, and stuck with that, rather than spend on capacity that will only be used for the first week or so?

never had a error or dc,still lost my lvl 7 when i came back to play a bit more

Fruitster

So, are there no planes online? I stole a helicopter, but flying around it seems all the ones you could normally fly in the airport just aren't there at all. Have they locked out them all besides the fighter jet? That would really be lame otherwise.

When I was on earlier, I found a propeller plane at the main airport, along with a helicopter. That aside though, none of the big 747 style planes were there, and neither were any of the other jet aircraft. Maybe they unlock at later levels when flying missions start to pop up (assuming they do of course).

ruttyboy

I personally havent been able to get on, but ive read posts here and seen some streams where you can steal and pilot fighter planes in the military base.

When I was on earlier there were no planes or helis anywhere, not at the airport, not at the military base, bummed as it's the thing I'm looking forward to most...

erawsd

It's kinda comparing apples and oranges though. COD has to send data for killcams, it probably has a much more detailed hit detection system which might require more network traffic, and other differences. GTA is a more complex game, but I think they found some "easy" solutions. The biggest challenge would be traffic and pedestrians and I assume they have a system where they have a seed which is in sync for each player and the behavior works out the exact same way. So they'd only have to send network packets for when things differ (that is, when players directly interacts with specific cars and pedestrians).

GTA's netcode was probably more challenging to make, but then again, this is all stuff which affects players only since players host themselves, it doesn't have a thing to do with Rockstar's servers.

I guess the problem is that Rockstar didn't expect the userbase to become this big, and they couldn't react fast enough. I don't see this being fixed unless there's less people playing the game or until Rockstar gets enough servers up.

Honestly, I think the biggest difference is that hardly anyone is buying GTA for multiplayer, while thats the only reason a lot of people are buying CoD. Aside from inexperience, the result of that is R* probably isn't willing to devote too many resources to its online infrastructure... at least not yet.

Future

Some people are making these instances sound like a chore and annoying (not saying this quoted post was). THIS is the kind of stuff I was looking forward to. It sounds fun to be in the middle of a store robbery and having some random dude come in, take the cash and blow away both of us. I mean what were people expecting given what we've seen in RDR and GTA4 multiplayer?

It is fun. But just really penalizing. Deathmatch gangsta hub makes sense for free roam gta.... But it means you will be dying a lot, which costs a LOT of money. And everything is expensive

Supposedly around rank 10 you can turn off your white dot on the map. At least then, random people rolling around with better guns than you won't immediately find and kill you

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I personally havent been able to get on, but ive read posts here and seen some streams where you can steal and pilot fighter planes in the military base.
When I was on earlier, I found a propeller plane at the main airport, along with a helicopter. That aside though, none of the big 747 style planes were there, and neither were any of the other jet aircraft. Maybe they unlock at later levels when flying missions start to pop up (assuming they do of course).

Hmm, maybe, I went over to the military base but couldn't see anything, maybe I am just not high enough for planes to unlock. So much for crashing one into this guy who kept following me around, lol.

Future

Passive Mode hasn't been working for me. I can get into it and it can restrict me from selecting weapons, but I can still get lit up.

You can get killed in the car still. Learned that the hard way. So you gotta still be on your toes while driving

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hmm, maybe, I went over to the military base but couldn't see anything, maybe I am just not high enough for planes to unlock. So much for crashing one into this guy who kept following me around, lol.

To quote you guys and myself again, I had a look at the start menu and under my profile it has "Hardware Access" with icons for Planes, Helicopters, Boats, and Cars. Only the Car Icon was lit up, so I imagine it is in fact tied to level or some other means and are unlocked as you progress.

Tawpgun

If you're on 360, you should be fine

Let's hope.

Think im going to deposit everything I have and go around capping randoms initially. If you're GAF Street or NeoGANG you're safe.

I'm just curious as to how much money I can get from doing it.

Also, are there random events in the world? I was in a lobby when I got an alert a plane was dropping some precious cargo somewhere on the map

shock-value

Neo Member
The most inexcusable thing about the launch of online is the lack of proper error handling and messaging. Most of the time the game just hangs at some point, with the only recourse being to return to the system menu and relaunch the game.

There should be no possible situation in which the player isn't presented with an error message if something is going wrong on Rockstar's side, and there should always be a reasonable timeout (say ~15 secs) after which they are given the option to back out.

This suggests incompetence on Rockstar's part, above and beyond the usual launch day issues which were expected. You must design the client side software to expect and cope with the server side systems' failing. They totally failed at that.

Honestly, I think the biggest difference is that hardly anyone is buying GTA for multiplayer, while thats the only reason a lot of people are buying CoD. Aside from inexperience, the result of that is R* probably isn't willing to devote too many resources to its online infrastructure... at least not yet.
Also gta has npcs, and their biggest map to date. A cod match is what, 1/16th the size? All players on the ground with the one job of killing eachother.

Future

The most inexcusable thing about the launch of online is the lack of proper error handling and messaging. Most of the time the game just hangs at some point, with the only recourse being to return to the system menu and relaunch the game.

There should be no possible situation in which the player isn't presented with an error message if something is going wrong on Rockstar's side, and there should always be a reasonable timeout (say ~15 secs) after which they are given the option to back out.

This suggests incompetence on Rockstar's part, above and beyond the usual launch day issues which were expected. You must design the client side software to expect and cope with the server side systems' failing. They totally failed at that.

A damn back out button would have worked wonders. Imagine GAF going down forcing you to reboot your browser every time

Tek

so is there an option to go into solo mode? I've been in worlds with other people and then ones with just myself. Is this an option?

yesrushdt

Couldn't agree anymore. Hopefully Rockstar will get these problems ironed out soon.

BTW, yesrushdt is my screename on Xbox Live as well if anyone is up for playing GTAO (once it's working properly).

so is there an option to go into solo mode? I've been in worlds with other people and then ones with just myself. Is this an option?
Under the online menu is a choice to start a solo session, it's limited in what is available to do of course however. Or you could make an invite only game and then explore the world but yourself but choose to group up with others if you choose to do a mission or deathmatch or something.

Delryk

select the Online tab / Play GTA Online and create a seesion with "Crew Session Only"..

you can always make a solo crew and use it to play alone

ViviOggi

So basically as soon as PS3 wasn't completely broken anymore their cloud servers went down for good? It's still not showing my characters and even says that I'm not in a crew.

deli2000

Just lost a set of tennis 6-0. I was fucking thrashed

Also, I went to rob a store, got killed and had my car stolen by a random. Respawned and took that fucker out with one got shot of my sawn off and got my car back.

I can see myself putting way too much time into this.

So basically as soon as PS3 wasn't completely broken anymore their cloud servers went down for good? It's still not showing my characters and even says that I'm not in a crew.
Cloud Servers seem to be up for me. I've quit out and got back in a few times and all my progress has always saved. My Crew Tag is blank however for some reason but under the menu I have the choice of the 3 I'm in.

Sooooo... Is this working yet ?

An interesting question my friend asked me is it is possible for him to return the game and get a refund as the product is "broke" and he cannot play it fully ?

GenericUser

game seems to "work" today (ps3) waiting forever to join a simple online race.

honestly, who are you trying to fuck rockstar, i am a cod veteran, I am USED to get into the games within SECONDS. This shit is going to bomb horrible. 20.000 people online within 7 month - i assume.

god damn you fucking idiots, its 2013, get your online shit together. so lame, so boring. back to SP you assholes.

Afro

Also, I went to rob a store, got killed and had my car stolen by a random. Respawned and took that fucker out with one got shot of my sawn off and got my car back.

If you hold the Select button you can set it so nobody can enter your car but you. So good.

skynidas

Banned

honestly, who are you trying to fuck rockstar, i am a cod veteran, I am USED to get into the games within SECONDS. This shit is going to bomb horrible. 20.000 people online within 7 month - i assume.

god damn you fucking idiots, its 2013, get your online shit together. so lame, so boring. back to SP you assholes.

tPzTdA4.gif

ViviOggi

Cloud Servers seem to be up for me. I've quit out and got back in a few times and all my progress has always saved. My Crew Tag is blank however for some reason but under the menu I have the choice of the 3 I'm in.

That's something at least. I'm definitely done trying for today.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Shit still fucked up? I've been out visiting a site today and haven't messed with GTAO all day. Do I need to change the blurp in the OP about shit being fucked?

ViviOggi

Are you trained in gorilla warfare?

Tawpgun

If you hold the Select button you can set it so nobody can enter your car but you. So good.

Select button is a game saver. You can also set your chat to Everyone, Crew, Crew+Friends, Friends, etc.

Highlight Players.

Also, how do you put a bounty on people? Is it in the select button? Can you give people cash also?

Top Bottom