• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

What do you mean by this? I haven't been following GTAO closely, assuming the worst - that it'd would be a disaster for at least the first few days.

You have to pay for passive mode?

You pay $100 in-game to be safe from others, but you can't do anything in this mode. No weapon equipping so you can't mess with NPCs. And it seems ripe for abuse. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread I was able to disable it at a moment's notice and cap an unsuspecting player.

So yet another character deleted only this time, its deleted all my blood money as well. Was only a couple of thousand away from my first home.

After all of this, if one developer talks about the advantages of the cloud, im going to find them & punch them in the mouth so hard, they will have to stick their toothbrush up their arse to clean their teeth

:-00000000000000000 LMFAO.

Sorry man but that was funny as fuck and at least lightens the mood with your wit.

On a more serious note though, I feel a touch of your pain.

You pay $100 in-game to be safe from others, but you can't do anything in this mode. No weapon equipping so you can't mess with NPCs. And it seems ripe for abuse. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread I was able to disable it at a moment's notice and cap an unsuspecting player.
Can you have private lobbies? Say, just me and my friends like I used to do in GTA4?

Yes, it's ridiculous.
That is just bizarre.

Well just got done with a pretty long 3-4 hour session. The jobs and such did not ever work up until the past hour. Finally was able to get into some jobs and earn some real money and reputation. Until then I was just causing trouble and losing the cops over and over, robbing stores. Up to Rank 7 atm. Game session is down for the day.

Some dude was trying to grief me by killing me when I spawn so I jumped into a car real fast, spun a 360 and popped him in the face with my pistol. Continued to then blow up his nice personal vehicle. Thats what you get for being a prick. 9K down the tubes.

I did a mission with a fellow crew member in the NGAF crew which was pretty cool. Got into a session with another NGAF member. Will be fun!

Once everything sorts out and things are more reliable, it should be an enjoyable experience online. I actually was able to steal a helicopter too! lol. That was cool. Started robbing stores and then jumping into my Helicopter to get away

Korezo

So what is there to do other than death match and racing? I thought this game had missions online, like the single player ones and be able to do them co op with people. So far this is no different then GTA4 its exactly like red dead, you just roam around and that's it.

Plasmid

Okay so i played for about 3-4 hours before getting kicked back out to SP. I got to rank 6. After being kicked out it says it can't load Character 2's save data from the rockstar server. So yeah this isn't playable at all until they actually fix this shit.

BOOOOOO.

jediyoshi

So what is there to do other than death match and racing? I thought this game had missions online, like the single player ones and be able to do them co op with people. So far this is no different then GTA4 its exactly like red dead, you just roam around and that's it.

Yes, there are coop missions that involve people from the campaign. Though for the most part I've just seen you and dudes go from point A to B, kill dudes at location, collect vehicle/item, go to drop off.

Yes there's missions on your phone but it puts you into a private room.

Have we come to a point where shooting has become the crux of GTA and everything else has been mitigated to 'nothing'.

Well, you can't rob stores or cause mayhem or do anything that could earn you money or reputation points unless you just want to be able to go do a mission or activity in peace, which you can do easily enough from the map menu, or just wander around. It has its function, but a friendly fire setting would be welcome.

There aren't enough people for some of these missions so I guess its just free roam for now.

Yep. I can't find anyone to do a mission after the first few "story" ones.

Worst thing is the other players. Why can't we work together?! I can't wait for heists to be added, hopefully we don't have to wait a year!

doby

Pushing those transgender boundaries in gaming...

0_0.jpg

I've re-made my character a few times today, got to the first race and have been stuck at "Launching session". Oh well, it's better than "Failure to host session". Progress!

Revven

Can you have private lobbies? Say, just me and my friends like I used to do in GTA4?

Yes.

Pretty much this is sounding like how RDR's online started out as, except with passive mode added (which is inherently worse than just a separate free roam option that turns friendly fire off).

In RDR at launch, everyone could use whatever aim mode they wanted in the free roam. At the time, there were no separate free roam modes or even separate deathmatch aim types. So you could be using free aim (no autoaim or aim assist at all) while another player would choose the easy as hell Casual autoaim BS and always stay locked onto you and get free kills. This wasn't addressed with separate free roams and deathmatch types for each aim variant until at least six months later, maybe a little longer.

And I think with those changes also came a separate free roam that had friendly fire off. You could still fuck with NPCs and stuff but not other players. HOWEVER, you could still shoot at people, it would just do zero damage.

It seems like Rockstar is taking one step forward and two steps back with this multiplayer and it's really freaking strange. You'd think they would implement what they did with RDR day 1 for GTA Online. :S

Maybe they don't want to splinter the playerbase and that's why they came up with passive mode and needing to pay $100 in-game cash to use it?

Worst thing is the other players. Why can't we work together?! I can't wait for heists to be added, hopefully we don't have to wait a year!

You can still work with other people in free roam (ha, as if), and there are still missions and jobs that can be done with other players.

Yes you can, you can have it set to be Crew-only lobby or a Friends Only lobby.
Well that sounds good at least.

Maybe I'll jump in with the rest of the world if there's ever any decent reason to. But deathmatch was never my thing. Not for GTA or Red Dead.

Love the co-op, free roam progression and everybody-out-for-themselves objective modes with friends.

Hope they can sort the stability issues out before the weekend hits.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
God damn. I'm so tired of waiting the 2 minutes it takes to boot this game each time and then wait for online to load and then wait to see that any characters I created are gone and then wait to go through the intro and then wait to see if the first race will start and then wait to get kicked back to SP and then wait to see if R* will ever let me play. Hurry up and wait Rob, hurry up and wait mother fucker.

Enjay

Banned
People still having the same issues? Jeez I'm starting to think Rockstar pulled a Gearbox and farmed out the online section to Eat Sleep Play.

So just how long should I sit here for this "Launching session" screen before giving up and force-quitting this shit? Is five minutes long enough?

malfcn

Passive is $100-200 which is really not much at all. But if you bank some dough (which I did) and don't know that it has to be liquid you are screwed. My case was worse by the fact that I had zero cash on me and had a group of automatic weapon players mowing me down.

Top Bottom