• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Ateron

That they force you into a race straight off seems like a poor design choice in retrospect.

Yes, I think so too. I get stuck while "waiting for players". After a while, it goes down and throws me back to the SP.

I really want to play this Online but I'm trying to be patient. Pretty sure they're having a lot more traffic than they were expecting and it must be a monumental task to coordinate everything so quickly.

JLeack

Banned
How have any of you played? I've spent a total of 2 and a half hours trying to get on GTA Online since it launched with no luck. I literally haven't even done the first mission. I've spent an hour remaking characters on the awful character creation screen, though.

I'm very agitated and feel like blowing up on Rockstar with an editorial.

How have any of you played? I've spent a total of 2 and a half hours trying to get on GTA Online since it launched with no luck. I literally haven't even done the first mission. I've spent an hour remaking characters on the awful character creation screen, though.

I'm very agitated and feel like blowing up on Rockstar with an editorial.

Time of day seems to have a significant effect

I played flawless for an hour early this morning EST, then had work unfortunately.

this evening, spent hours without luck (PS3)

Ilive1up

word. it's a cool idea to have to drop cash off at the bank (or through the phone), but i'm just not sure what advantage that has.

when in the free roam, are people just super quiet? are you allowed to talk in free mode?

Zunja

I made it in on my PS3.
I did the SOLO online. The tutorial started and it froze at the city view. I waited for about 5 min and it went through. Did the race and it froze on the clouds. Waited 5min then quit the game and rejoined. When I rejoined I had beaten the race and was able to do the rest of the tutorial in peace. Now I can log in without problem, though doing the jobs will sometimes freeze me out.

word. it's a cool idea to have to drop cash off at the bank (or through the phone), but i'm just not sure what advantage that has.

when in the free roam, are people just super quiet? are you allowed to talk in free mode?

Stops people taking your money if they kill you

You can talk in free roam, yeah. Also, you do drop at least some of your cash if you get killed so banking it is best. You can still purchase most things and it will simply deduct it from your bank account if needed.

I wish we could trade places, Ive been messaging other players to give me a bounty, no one does it. I want that achievement.
I got a bounty from a random NPC I think. I stole a car, got a text saying something along the lines of "that's my car! I'll get you for this", and then a second text stating that there's now a bounty on my head lol.

Yeah people talk in free roam, one guy just said "penis" constantly for about five minutes

how do i NOT Walk to this car and get stuck in loading hell?
It glitched out for me when I tried playing solo. Blue ring didn't appear, when my character autowalked to that spot, control was given back to me. Problem is the game still wants you to go to the blue ring that now doesn't exist, and until you do there's no missions, no other players, no nothing. So you're stuck in this fantastically shitty single player mode basically.

I'm able to play MP but looks like only solo.

PSN Digital Download, USA (CA)

Did the tutorial mission online in the 6am when stuff was coming back up. Couldn't log in all day. Able to get in by going solo or joining someone else's job but world is empty. I have yet to really see another player.

Fearful I'm probably going to loose all progress though...

Astery

so what's up with height? i saw a player with a female avatar and it was huge, i looked like a midget.

I tried making 2 different female characters, all ended up like 2.2m tall. I don't even know, I just want her to be at normal 1.6-1.7m ish height :(

Mononoke

Banned
So, all the people that are playing. Are they just lucky? I don't get it. I tried getting on ALL DAY (I had the day off). I was only once able to beat the first mission (Lamar) - and then the game froze after I leveled up and the next mission was starting. Ever since then, all my characters get deleted, and I can't connect.

=/

My friend is on PS3, and he just got off from work. He was able to hop on instantly, no issues. And his character never got deleted. I don't get it. Why is this only effecting some people?

Hargenx

I think my game was crashing because I put John Marston as my father(LOL) made a new character and is now working fine, just don't get how to make the story missions online, how this works?!

I wish Rockstar would at least acknoedge the vanishing characters and if they're likely to come back or not. Unless that falls under this statement perhaps:
This morning, we experienced some instability across the GTA Online services which is affecting even people who have progressed beyond the tutorial mission. We are identifying these issues now and are working to restore stability for users as soon as possible.
From their status update page about GTAO: http://support.rockstargames.com/hc...6246-GTA-Online-Launch-Status-Latest-Updates-

eival

alright once you get to like level 7 them things really start opening up.

im startin to feel better about this

FaintDeftone

Still nothing on PS3 for me. I was able to at least watch the intro video and get the "off the plane" trophy but as soon as it tries to start the tutorial race, the game locks up and the radio stations just play during a blank screen.

I'm not even going to bother until it becomes 100% stable for sure.

eival

didnt know you could get kicked :(

rubberband is your friend, i got an older wired controller already setup that i hotswap when i wanna eat or do something else, let my guy walk in circles till i come back. wouldnt recommend doing it on your main controller cause it wears out the deadzones

voltron

So is it still essentially fucked? Rockstar Cloud server error message and having to create a new character every time you play? (which is obviously related to the cloud network issue...)

But still. Frustrating. But cant wait to play. The small amount I got to play to play seemed pretty fun and to have potential.

rubberband is your friend, i got an older wired controller already setup that i hotswap when i wanna eat or do something else, let my guy walk in circles till i come back. wouldnt recommend doing it on your main controller cause it wears out the deadzones

I think he means that other players can boot you out of the session.

Enjay

Banned
Really seeing a drawback to hype with this title, a lot of fans seem twice as jaded about online due to how promising and fun it all seemed. Reminds me of Twisted Metal PS3... :(

The funny thing about this situation is I never cared about online games before. I thought the gta online trailer looked cool when that was released so I actually looked forward to this.

It's kinda hilarious watching it now and comparing with the hours of time I have spent looking at error screens and blurred city images. I spend my time when I get kicked back into SP doing the x...square...circle dive trying to to time it right to smash car windows with my head. That wasnt in the trailer.

eival

wow i just got a popup telling me to purchase XBL GTA Bucks when i tried to get a soda from the vending machine and i didnt have "cash" on me, claiming "insufficient funds"

kinda menotanous to make us withdraw cash, especially when im pretty sure most vending machines probably have card swips, but you're already breaking walls of immersion by letting us bank from our phone rather than a physical ATM, why then reverse that logic for something as minute as a soda?

I got a bounty from a random NPC I think. I stole a car, got a text saying something along the lines of "that's my car! I'll get you for this", and then a second text stating that there's now a bounty on my head lol.

That's a regular bounty. It's anonymous.

I got that too, I lasted a total of 10 minutes due to fucking auto aim, even though I started shooting first and had my crosshair on him.

Hip Hop

Thanks for the tip. Got a 7k bounty on me after stealing the third car. Currently above the skies, so I hope no one goes for a jet.

So I joined a mission (Team Deathmatch), as soon as it started everyone dropped and I won the match....

*Edit*

Just hit level six and got this message:

tzWPr74l.jpg

Guess you are going to be locked into your character

On PSN, seems like any kind of mission attempt is down. I'm still having a good time stealing and selling cars and robbing stores. I understand the folks upset that this thing is still fucked up, but I can't help feeling excited for when it all comes together.

Marleyman

Banned
I have watched that same scene of my character getting in his car so many fucking times only for it not to load. Damn man; I have wanted to really play some GTA online.

Top Bottom