• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

TehPabz

So has anybody actually finished the tutorial when and how and what lvl does it end? >_> I'm lvl 6 and still in the tutorial I have no idea how to finish it lol.

I miraculously had a pretty much seem less experienced tonight on 360 after restarting. But I know I'll probably just lose all of my legs tomorrow or something.

Revven

First attempt on US PS3 and in Solo session and I got past the first mission with Lamar. On my way to the next thing.

cdkee

Banned
Man, I watched my guy get into the damn car, and then I got excited because it became day. Now I'm waiting for other players.

Will this damn thing ever work.

carlos

guys, seriously, if you don't want to risk losing your progress, take a break and come back in a week or so; what's the big hurry to get to level 100?

you know the issues that are going on, if you choose to play and your character gets wiped or whatever, it is on you.

little by little we're hearing that psn is starting to work, progress is being made; be patient and take a couple days off gta; the game isn't going anywhere.

Hip Hop

Just survived the bounty placed on me. You get paid for holding off without dying, you get an achievement, and you get the mark removed.

GavinGT

Banned
So has anybody actually finished the tutorial when and how and what lvl does it end? >_> I'm lvl 6 and still in the tutorial I have no idea how to finish it lol.

What was the last tutorial thing you did? I'm pretty sure at one point you have to accept the mission through a text.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So, all the people that are playing. Are they just lucky? I don't get it. I tried getting on ALL DAY (I had the day off). I was only once able to beat the first mission (Lamar) - and then the game froze after I leveled up and the next mission was starting. Ever since then, all my characters get deleted, and I can't connect.

=/

My friend is on PS3, and he just got off from work. He was able to hop on instantly, no issues. And his character never got deleted. I don't get it. Why is this only effecting some people?

Sorry to hear about your trouble. A friend of mine had the same issue with losing created characters a few times. He's pretty bummed out and is now waiting until it's straightened out for sure.

I only started "getting lucky" yesterday evening (JST); finished the tutorial missions, robbed a few stores with/without other players; hosted/joined a couple of races/deathmatches; and thankfully my character and single player saves are still in tact.

I advise everyone still having trouble to only try loading Solo Online play through the pause menu (not going directly from the loading screen). That should give you the least busy/most stable environment for starting out as possible. It might dump you in a random server after you've finished the first race, where chances of dropping are still high, but from that point you have to be really unlucky to lose progress.

Maybe try going back to single player after the first race, then selecting "choose character" from the Online menu - this is what I did the first time and it's worked for me since.

As people have said, just be patient. Give the loading/overhead view screens some time, whether they show tips or a loading icon or not. And turn off auto save initially just in case.

TehPabz

I'm pretty sure the last tutorial thing is a Last Man Standing multiplayer match. You haven't done that yet?
Yeah I did and I won. Then I got all the blue icons around the map. But every time I try to join a friends game it says I need to finish the tutorial.

Saganator

guys, seriously, if you don't want to risk losing your progress, take a break and come back in a week or so; what's the big hurry to get to level 100?

you know the issues that are going on, if you choose to play and your character gets wiped or whatever, it is on you.

little by little we're hearing that psn is starting to work, progress is being made; be patient and take a couple days off gta; the game isn't going anywhere.

This is the only online game I've been apart of that manages to outright lose your character. I've lost progress before, but usually my character is there. Games saving your character on their server is nothing new. I can only imagine how many erroneous characters are sitting on Rockstar's servers.

GavinGT

Banned
Yeah I did and I won. Then I got all the blue icons around the map. But every time I try to join a friends game it says I need to finish the tutorial.

You should be out of the tutorial by that point. It even says in the upper-left that you're on your own now. Maybe try restarting your Xbox or, if all else fails, make a new character.

Mononoke

Banned
Sorry to hear about your trouble. A friend of mine had the same issue with losing created characters a few times. He's pretty bummed out and is now waiting until it's straightened out for sure.

I only started "getting lucky" yesterday evening (JST); finished the tutorial missions, robbed a few stores with/without other players; hosted/joined a couple of races/deathmatches; and thankfully my character and single player saves are still in tact.

I advise everyone still having trouble to only try loading Solo Online play through the pause menu (not going directly from the loading screen). That should give you the least busy/most stable environment for starting out as possible. It might dump you in a random server after you've finished the first race, where chances of dropping are still high, but from that point you have to be really unlucky to lose progress.

Maybe try going back to single player after the first race, then selecting "choose character" from the Online menu - this is what I did the first time and it's worked for me since.

As people have said, just be patient. Give the loading/overhead view screens some time, whether they show tips or a loading icon or not. And turn off auto save initially just in case.

Yeah. To clarify, what I meant by "get lucky" - I was just wondering if it's just people happening to get into a queue. It seems like some people aren't even having the same issues that people like me are having. I don't get why certain people are having issues, and others aren't.

=/

I mean, if it was just people not being able to connect, I would get it. Just like any online game everyone is trying to access it at once. But we are having much more specific and strange issues.

So I'm able to get into free roam, but there aren't any missions, jobs, or play modes. I tried to join a friend's job and it did something really weird. When I joined The camera drops to my location but then freezes 10 feet from the ground but at a lateral camera view. I can't rotate the camera or walk around, but the game world continues.

Did I break it?
How do I fix it?
How do I acquire jobs?
Rockstar?
What are ya doin' man?

It's just that when you rob a store in solo play you need to shoot the cashier then exit and press pause, and go to the rockstar store to buy money. Then just exit the store (not buying money) and go back to the game and repeat the store thing. Wanted level is gone.

http://youtu.be/RN-0PBHGE9A

I saw a youtube of it, I know it works because I was kicked from the game, because a host left the world, after getting cash from a cashier and the money was still there. This could be a good method of saving your game too I suppose, or getting rid of wanted level?

Works on PS3, Thanks!

Also on PS3, loading takes a lot longer.

*Edit* also dumped in in a server with actual people!

TehPabz

You should be out of the tutorial by that point. It even says in the upper-left that you're on your own now. Maybe try restarting your Xbox or, if all else fails, make a new character.
I don't see it that on my upper left side. I'm on ps3 btw :p. >_> maybe it's the friend who's not out of the tutorial and not me.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Did they dial down the amount of time the police spend chasing you, when you get stars? It feels like I have to hide out way longer in single player.

Some of the online additions really should have been in the campaign....

BraXzy

I'm envious of everyone playing. I'm still stuck, I'll give it another go tomorrow. I think I might forever be stuck unsuccessfully climbing into a car, I fail at Grand Theft Auto.

So I'm able to get into free roam, but there aren't any missions, jobs, or play modes. I tried to join a friend's job and it did something really weird. When I joined The camera drops to my location but then freezes 10 feet from the ground but at a lateral camera view. I can't rotate the camera or walk around, but the game world continues.

Did I break it?
How do I fix it?
How do I acquire jobs?
Rockstar?
What are ya doin' man?
You've not made it yet...try again?

Stat!

Serious question: I'm on 360 and for the past 2 days, can't get past the first race. It's always waiting for other players or launching session but never actually starts.

Is there a fix or is it waiting?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah. To clarify, what I meant by "get lucky" - I was just wondering if it's just people happening to get into a queue. It seems like some people aren't even having the same issues that people like me are having. I don't get why certain people are having issues, and others aren't.

=/

I mean, if it was just people not being able to connect, I would get it. Just like any online game everyone is trying to access it at once. But we are having much more specific and strange issues.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me. Last night at 4am EST I was trying and still got the same bullshit looping car cutscene to start the race. Surely the traffic was greatly lessened by that time, and I'm still having the same issue right now. I haven't gotten a single actual error message, I just get stuck in this purgatory constantly.

Saganator

Ugh. Was able to play for a while today (PS3). Had a lot of fun, despite most of the Jobs not ever working. Got a couple DM's to work but never any races. While trying to connect to a friend's game, I got booted to single player. Reconnected and my character was gone, but money was still there. A bit demoralized, decided it was time for dinner. Now I'm back with a new character with money still there, try to start on online session which fails, and then when I try again, my new character is gone along with my money. Like I posted earlier, I've never had a game just outright lose my character data. Glad I never purchased GTA$.

Despite all the problems, I'm still desperately trying to play because when it works, its a fuckin blast.

Trouble

Banned
Whelp got through the first race and the next missions after a few tries. I seem to get the fuzzy screen and have to restart the game a lot. Initial game load up on PS3 is painful :(

Stat!

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me. Last night at 4am EST I was trying and still got the same bullshit looping car cutscene to start the race. Surely the traffic was greatly lessened by that time, and I'm still having the same issue right now. I haven't gotten a single actual error message, I just get stuck in this purgatory constantly.

SAme here. There isn't an error screen just the race never starts. Has R* said anything?

Korezo

How do I play with my friends? I get connected with random people but its impossible to play with my friends until we beat the gta online tutorial... What in the world is the gta online tutorial? It makes no sense I get connected to others but can't with friends..

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah. I had the day off today. And like a damn fool, I spent all day trying to get on. I did get on earlier, but then the game crashed on me after i leveled up and beat the first mission. Then my character was gone.

Every character I create, just disappears. And then my friend gets off work, and is able to log on smoothly. His character from last night is there. And he's been playing all night (same system as me). It's like..REALLY. What's different between our systems. :(

Good Lord, I've spent 20 minutes atleast standing, waiting for the first racing thing to launch online (360), people just keep walking off. I assume it's people getting fed up and quitting. I quit out once, retried and I'm just standing here again. What is this crap?

Seems like a lot of people are having issues, but still..

GavinGT

Banned
How do I play with my friends? I get connected with random people but its impossible to play with my friends until we beat the gta online tutorial... What in the world is the gta online tutorial? It makes no sense I get connected to others but can't with friends..

Did you finish the tutorial? It tells you to return a drug package, get clothes, mod a car, rob a store, and compete in a Last Man Standing match. Just follow what they tell you to do.

The money you get from some of these missions is a joke. I did one earlier where I got $9,000 for killing some Lost and stealing their drugs. Took about 3 minutes. I just did a mission where I have to blow up several police cars all around the map, took about 12 minutes, and was significantly harder than the other mission. Got $2,000.

HAHAHA this thing wasn't even close to being ready for public consumption. I made it to the segment where your character walks up to the first race marker, then he falls through the fucking floor.

Jesus, I wish I took a Vine of that - I've never laughed so hard in my entire life. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere after 30+ hours of waiting, Rockstar literally pulls the ground out from under my legs.

What a genuine piece of shite this is.

Top Bottom