• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Alfredo

Passive Mode is pretty dumb. I was using my phone to put money into my bank, when this dude hits me with his car, interrupting my deposit. So I pay the $100 to turn on Passive Mode, but the guy is still able to run me over.

So I guess Passive Mode only protects against gunfire? That's dumb. You pay $100 to take away all your weapons, so if a guy tries to run you over, you can't fight back.

Shaky

I guess I was one of the lucky ones because the tutorial race worked almost immediately for me. I get the cloud error a lot now but I just press Retry a few times and it works.

Played some deathmatch games, GTA Race, raced some dude I did a mission with to the golf course, and robbed a couple stores lol. The game has been a blast.

So I start the game and agree to the update, then the screen goes black and the only way I can turn off the PS3 is to unplug the system. What the hell?

graboids

Finally got in, and played several hours... its all okay, but I probably wont stick with it much longer. Nothing there that I can get from other games that do it better... at least from my perspective. Maybe my expectations were too high... with the right group of people I could see if being fun for a few nights, which is what ended up happening in GTAIV and RDR online, but not much long lasting appeal for me.

Oh well, I got 60 hours of fun out of the Story Mode so I am still happy with the game overall.

edit- I had more luck getting in on 360 by hitting A at the load screen, never got it to work if I went to Story Mode first and then switched to Online, just FYI

anddo0

Man I still cant get past the first stupid race. Fuck

Are you playing solo mode.

PSA: If you're stuck waiting for other players for the first race. You're doing it wrong.

If you want to get past the first race, and the tutorial in general. Solo mode is the way to go.

Been stuck in the lobby for a deathmatch for like ten minutes now.

It's not going to load.. If you're on PSN, sign out. If you sign out (without exiting the game) you at least get to keep your character.

PSA: If you're stuck waiting for other players for the first race. You're doing it wrong.

If you want to get past the first race, and the tutorial in general. Solo mode is the way to go.

It's not going to load.. If you're on PSN, sign out. If you sign out (without exiting the game) you at least get to keep your character.

Yea solo mode. My character walks to the blue marker to a car. Then it just stops at a blurry screen.

sappyday

My character went invisible and my HUD disappeared. My first character disappeared as well. I'm just gonna wait till everyone says it's okay.

akaoni

Banned
Well I managed to get one race working. Even when things are working I get the feeling I'm going to be staring at load screens and waiting more than I actually play, just with how ass backwards the whole structure to playing stuff is.

anddo0

Yea solo mode. My character walks to the blue marker to a car. Then it just stops at a blurry screen.

Yeah this happened to all of us yesterday.

Your best bet is to exit the game.. Launch into SP mode, create a new character, and hope it works.. Unfortunately you'll have to sit through the intro again.

Timmy00

Having the same problem. Redownloading the patch to see if that works. I seriously just want to play the game with my friends. :/ guess I'll wait a bit longer.

Sometimes when I don't get stuck in a blurry screen, it just loops the car driving to me and the dude getting out. wtf?

matt05891

Well I tried less today then yesterday to get on. Tomorrow I'll try even less and eventually I will hopefully be surprised when I try to play it.

I think I'm done with it for now. There's promise here, so we'll see what the future brings. It kind of reminds me of the RDR MP, I thought it was pretty fun for a day or two, then quit and never went back.

Yerolo

Xbox live is free all this weekend for Silver users....was hoping to get some quality time in of GTA:O

Doesnt look like this will be the case :(

Having the same problem. Redownloading the patch to see if that works. I seriously just want to play the game with my friends. :/ guess I'll wait a bit longer.

Sometimes when I don't get stuck in a blurry screen, it just loops the car driving to me and the dude getting out. wtf?

Ive already tried re downloading the patch. No dice. A few of my friends are already partied(ps3) up while im still trying to do this bs.

Zeroxysm

It doesn't let me do anything online, even on solo, without being signed into PSN.

kingkitty

"Launching session." is a lie, a goddamn lie.

Maybe there isn't a game beyond the race trigger. Maybe...this is the game.

...I shall try again tomorrow.

Timmy00

Ive already tried re downloading the patch. No dice. A few of my friends are already partied(ps3) up while im still trying to do this bs.

I definitely know that feel dude. :( I'm on the ps3 also and seems all my friends can get past the tutorial but I can't no matter what. It's so urg. :/

I tried the solo session trick and again no dice.

It seems like more people are getting in anyways.

I'll just try to 100% the game before I try messing the with online again.

Edit:The one good thing that came out of this is that I found out Soundwax is a pretty good station

jadedm17

Really guys? The game did a billion in sales in three days, you had to know not to count on anything you did now lasting. We all talked about how bad itd before launch, there were signs.

I keep reading that you only lose cash when players kill you, and only if you have more than $5000 on you. This is definitely not true. I just tested by having a friend kill me twice.

The first time I had $1022 in the bank and $50 on me. When I died I lost $100. ($50 from my person, $50 from my bank)

The second time, I had $971 in the bank, and $0 on me. When I died I lost $49 from the bank.

Gaz_RB

I really do feel bad for people who can't get in. I've been playing relatively problem free since the start, and I'm having so much fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I tried the solo session trick and again no dice.

It seems like more people are getting in anyways.

I'll just try to 100% the game before I try messing the with online again.

Edit:The one good thing that came out of this is that I found out Soundwax is a pretty good station

This has made me hate soulwax. That one song sounds like the goddamn creepy japanese ronald mcdonald and I feel like he's taunting me.

I keep reading that you only lose cash when players kill you, and only if you have more than $5000 on you. This is definitely not true. I just tested by having a friend kill me twice.

The first time I had $1022 in the bank and $50 on me. When I died I lost $100. ($50 from my person, $50 from my bank)

The second time, I had $971 in the bank, and $0 on me. When I died I lost $49 from the bank.
I'm assuming those were for hospital bills. What we're talking about is once you have $5k+ other plays can steal any amount of cash that's over that $5000 when they kill you.

I feel like you lose way too much money when you die, especially because there's a hidden entry fee to jobs so you're not actually making as much as you think. I thought I would have an apartment a few hours ago, still a long ways off.

The Flash

Banned
1. Started a "Go" session
2. Inevitable loading screen came up
3. Decided to cut my hair while I waited
4. Gave myself a nice buzz cut
5. Took a shower
6. Got back to my room
7. Lamar and my character had already had their race

And that is how I finally got onto GTA Online.

Top Bottom