• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Gaz_RB

So does anyone else have the problem where you put a mask on and it makes your character bald? I always have to go to the barber after I take off my mask haha

Saganator

Playing on PS3...

So bout 2 hours ago I was pretty annoyed, I lost my character and my money, had to start over and couldn't even get past the dreaded Lamar race I've attempted dozens of times and completed 4 or 5 times due to losing my character.

And then it just started working. Did the tutorial, got into a game with my buddy with out even trying (after Lamar race it just put me in a game with him), got the hold up mission, which he came along for. Then I got the Simeon mission to get my car, after that it was just great. Every Job and Mission we tried together loaded properly. It was difficult filling up a game, we found if the host uses the option to "Invite from Skilled Players" instead of Auto and/or Friends/Crew we had better luck. Even in my giant public crew it was hard getting people from there to join. We ended up doing a dirt bike race, boat race, a couple GTA Races, a couple DMs, and then a mode where two teams try and steal some drugs and bring it to a safe house. Everything just worked, it was great, I hope it keeps going. A few things that may help people...

1) When you send an invite out for a Job/Mission, people who either don't see it or don't accept/reject it for whatever reason, their invite never goes away. This means if you send an invite to 14 people, if all 14 people don't respond to the invite (they pop up as a text message I on bottom left of screen, hold D-pad UP and then X to accept), have fun with your 2 player match. The only invites which "refresh" and go out to a new/different player is when an invitation is either rejected or blocked. Otherwise it just hangs and you're boned out of an invitation.

2) I may be mistaken but I'm almost positive if you have Free Aim selected in settings, you will be matched up for sessions with other Free Aimers. I tried to join a friend with Assisted Aim and before I joined it asked me if I wanted to switch modes, I said yes and then everthing including Free Roam was with assisted aim. Afterwards I went to play with a FA friend and it asked me again to switch targeting modes.

3) If you play Job/Mission with people you like, but decide to go back to free roam, don't quit while in map vote mode, select Free Roam on the bottom right instead. You'll go back to FR with anyone else who selected that option. You'll remain in the same session as the people who continued doing Jobs, but you won't see them until they return back to Free Roam. If you had quit instead (O/X while in map vote), you'd go back to some other random session.

4) When you get your car during the tutorial, hold down Select and scroll to Enter-Vehicle (might be off) then select whatever option you prefer. Everyone is default for some dumb reason.

5) Haven't figured out how to mute specific people but you can mute everyone, or just allow Crew/Friends if you hold Select and scroll to Mute, 2nd to last option.

6) If you rob stores with some help, you can divvy up the money pretty easily, once again, hold down Select, Inventory, Cash... and I forgot the rest but that should get you close enough to figure it out.

7) When its time to get your first car in the tutorial, don't bother trying to get a super car from Vinewood, it won't work. No "premium" cars aloud.

Implementing the hospital bills into PVP gamemodes like deathmatch is such a silly decision, it takes money directly from your bank and before you realise it you've lost a huge chunk of cash.

I don't even want to touch any PVP now until I buy an apartment.

So does anyone else have the problem where you put a mask on and it makes your character bald? I always have to go to the barber after I take off my mask haha

Yeah happend to me, I bought a beanie in the end as It was annoying me.
Hoping to be able to actually do some bloody missions tonight but im not getting my hopes up.

360? We got some gaf homies in a lobby right now

Yeah 360, Im at work for another 8 hours though! I couldnt join my bro and his other crew member atall for missions. I could meet him and we setup a race to the top of the mountain but we couldnt do anything else as id forever get download failed.

Just lost my single player save 79%. Good job I had a back up, around 75%, still sucks though.

Managed to play quite a lot yesterday Xbox uk here, and have got a bit of time on my hands being one week Into acl recovery but I all honesty I'm not realy loving it. Probably due to the fact none of my real life friends can get it to work, and partly due to the fact you die so fucking easy and lose a lot of money on hospital bills

Managed to do a few missions solo and also a few races and activities, not done a tdm where you respawn yet though, also if its true you pay hospital bills for tdm then they can get fucked. I've managed to reach level 11 and I'm gonna play abit more today hoping it picks up a little when everyone can get on, I just feel like rock star are gonna try and milk the online currency by making everything expensive and health so shity

No regrets thought singleplayer was one of my greatests ever games, even friends who don't normaly stray beyond cod and fifa have finished it!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a couple days max, it's already gotten a lot better for most!

Sorry for your troubles

eh it's no biggie, I didn't yet finish campaign and it's so damn good that I don't mind waiting. I'm just hoping I can jump into a smooth and packed experience and people don't just give up due to troubles.

People that have managed to play the multi a lot, how would you compare it to your SP experience? As in SP=Great MP=also great type thing?

Ploid 3.0

I'm farming that River mission with the Los Santos and Lost and The Damned people trading meth. $2k 700rep points each Hard mode. I wish I had a sniper rifle.

eh it's no biggie, I didn't yet finish campaign and it's so damn good that I don't mind waiting. I'm just hoping I can jump into a smooth and packed experience and people don't just give up due to troubles.

People that have managed to play the multi a lot, how would you compare it to your SP experience? As in SP=Great MP=also great type thing?

Personally, I love the MP. It has a lot of the things I thought were missing from the single player, lots more activities, more value and ways to earn money. Free roam and co-op missions are amazing. It's just a really fucked up launch to this point.

Weird thing just happened, my brother came over, logged into his account on my PS3 and he goes right into the tutorial NO PROBLEM! lol He played for over 2 hours without a hiccup. I log into my account and I can't get into the tutorial. What the fuck?

It's 2:30ish am where I live. I have had no luck getting in until now (360).

I deleted all my previous characters (ones that always get glitched on the first race) and backed out and started a solo session. I went and watched tv while the cutscene played for the thousandth time. Came back maybe 10 minutes later, could actually pick my car :D

Did the race, timed out after it :( ... But wait, I held down and switched back to multiplayer character, I was back in. I've finished everything tutorial wise and am now able to play... finally.

RotBot

I thought it would be annoying when some random person starts messing with you. But it's actually pretty fun, especially if they're worse than you. It gives you someone to hunt down without feeling guilty.

terrible

Banned
Top Fun II is my favorite game type so far.

Heart starts pounding when you hear that jet coming up behind you

It's awesome until you're the guy who starts closest to the front jet and the guy behind you rams into your jet on takeoff since he gets in first.

No worries though, I shot his tires out at the start of the next round :D

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
When it works (was fine all day for me on 360 yesterday), GTA:O is a brilliant mix of zany emergent gameplay.

Had this happen;
- Go into a store with the intent to rob it
- Yell in your mic at the cashier to give you the cash faster
- Proceed to exit the store and as you approach the door, see two cars approaching at high speed. Cars driven by two other random players (seemingly with the same intent you had minutes ago)
- Defend yourself in an ensuing gunfight in the store against two other would-be robbers now trying to rob your take from the store.
- Emerge victorious, now with both the cash from the store and the cash the other two players had on them when arriving.
- Deposit your take in the nearest ATM.

Profit!

Siegmeyer

How long does it take to load the initial race? Most of the time I can't even connect, most of the time when I do connect the Race trigger isn't there.

On the 4 or 5 occasions where the race trigger has been there, I get the mini-scene of a dude getting out of a car and me getting in, but each time I'm just sat looking at an out of focus shot of the city, sometimes with the loading icon in the bottom right, sometimes without it. Either way it doesn't seem to be loading anything, and I've had to quit back to XMB and reload.

PS3 digital version if that matters.

Toothpick

Is it possible to create your own freeroam? I keep trying to play with some friends but the freeroam lobbies always get full. 360

Started a new crew for my close friends and had a blast in free roam and doing a few missions.

Anyway: I was playing with 2 friends from my crew and we decided that any new members to the crew would get "jumped in" like in a street gang. A 3rd friend joined in and we all got in a 4 seat car. I drove to a secluded area under one of those bridges in the city where the canals are and I told my 3rd friend that we were going to show him a "glitch" using his fists. That's when he realized what was going on. He tried to run off but we chased him down and beat him up. I was laughing so hard, i had tears in my eyes lol.

My next plan is to tell the next recruit to take a selfie pic with us and then while he's trying to adjust the camera we jump his ass. It's the rite of passage lol

Arcteryx

How long does it take to load the initial race? Most of the time I can't even connect, most of the time when I do connect the Race trigger isn't there.

On the 4 or 5 occasions where the race trigger has been there, I get the mini-scene of a dude getting out of a car and me getting in, but each time I'm just sat looking at an out of focus shot of the city, sometimes with the loading icon in the bottom right, sometimes without it. Either way it doesn't seem to be loading anything, and I've had to quit back to XMB and reload.

PS3 digital version if that matters.

If you get lucky and just get Lamar(solo mode basically) then it should load instantly. With other players it can take awhile

jediyoshi

uxsjxSM.jpg

Hospital bills are ridiculous. Every deathmatch game mode loses you thousands of dollars.

What do the actual figures look like? I've died a bunch and have never noticed a dent in my account. Haven't even passed $10k yet either.

Toothpick

I didn't realize there were penalties for dying in deathmatches. I was wondering how i kept losing money from the bank. really poor decision there :/

Top Bottom