• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz_RB

Something killing your anticipation of the game is not a spoiler by definition.

No but by the definition posted in the OP that was a spoiler

If anything that comes off as an extremely simplified viewing of what the game does from someone who feels that they just have to dismiss everything it does or attempts to do. Much like his statement that the game just says politically incorrect things as satire without really meaning anything he gives no real examples to back up his points. Not to mention the Kill Bill comparison is absurd and completely missing the point of what Hauser meant by the concept of masculinity which in the way I took it wasn't just a statement referring to the ability to inflict violence but the whole set of expectations that comes along with being a man in the type of environment the game takes place in. Kill Bill is a great series but the type of violence or action involved is just not related. I mean hell, it's a homage of a sort to the female driven action flicks of the 70s combined with all the various other genes it emulates.

Really well put. My thoughts exactly. The author was drumming up controversy where there is none, and putting way too much undue pressure on Rockstar to be super progressive.

kmg90

Thank goodness that silly reasoning is gonna be gone next gen.

I think it's silly that people don't see how crazy it is that one console uses a storage medium that barely fits most games that have come out for it the past 2 years (they just started allowing more space for the games out of the 8GB on the disc early last year allowing games around 7.8GB instead of 7), more games are starting to push the 10GB+ of data you can only go so far with compression before it starts hindering performance significantly.

Imagine if HD-DVD wasn't killed and it became the standard for 360 games...

PHOTOSHOP

just to make sure.
when you pre order the digital copy from PSN. you dont see the game icon on the GAME list right? will the icon appear when the game is release?

anddo0

Pre-load changes everything. I just pre-ordered the PSN version.
The real wait begins now.. Thank god for Diablo and Puppeteer.

Gaz_RB

Pre-load changes everything. I just pre-ordered the PSN version.
The real wait begins now.. Thank god for Diablo and Puppeteer.

Same here. Preordered it on PSN now, I'll pick up my 360 copy when GTA Online comes out!

Anyone know when the game unlocks in the US?

oxidax

Ok so read this shit out. I just went to my local gamestop to cancel my GTA V order because the game sucks... no jk because im gonna download it from PSN.

I went in, told the guy my order # cus i ordered online for pickup and my name blah blaH BLah and then the guy tells me that theres nothing under my name. I mean im like wah? u tellin me that i was gonna come here at 12:n but i wasn't gonna get nutin cus theres nutin "undeer my name" and hes like well..yeah.

WTF? the status of my order says "OPEN" on their website but the order doesn't really exist? the guy could't even help me out and they gonna charge me $5 if i dont pick up the order after 48 hours. what the hell man!

kmg90

just to make sure.
when you pre order the digital copy from PSN. you don't see the game icon on the GAME list right? will the icon appear when the game is release?

My guess going by how PS3 can manage time restricted content (rentals, betas, 1 hour full trials)....

It will show in your games list but won't run until day of release

If you don't know what I'm talking about go to any downloadable game on the XMB and press triangle to bring up the menu then select information... It will bring up the rights of the content (sometimes not right away as it needs to calculate a few things about the content like size and version number)

I've only preordered one game before from PSN (NFS:Most Wanted) from my experience the game didn't become available till later in the afternoon when the PSN store is usually updated (I wasn't really keeping track as I was more concerned with playing AC3 which I'd bought retail)

Ok so read this shit out. I just went to my local gamestop to cancel my GTA V order because the game sucks... no jk because im gonna download it from PSN.

I went in, told the guy my order # cus i ordered online for pickup and my name blah blaH BLah and then the guy tells me that theres nothing under my name. I mean im like wah? u tellin me that i was gonna come here at 12:n but i wasn't gonna get nutin cus theres nutin "undeer my name" and hes like well..yeah.

WTF? the status of my order says "OPEN" on their website but the order doesn't really exist? the guy could't even help me out and they gonna charge me $5 if i dont pick up the order after 48 hours. what the hell man!

I'm so furious at Tesco they cancelled my CE and won't refund the money till after release day so I can't even preorder the SE.

dreamfall

Same here. Preordered it on PSN now, I'll pick up my 360 copy when GTA Online comes out!

Anyone know when the game unlocks in the US?

Wait! Are there performance differences?! I'm getting it on 360 to play with others Online, but really am most excited about Single Player. Besides the exclusive marketing campaign, did I miss something?!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Man seeing people playing it everywhere makes me so jealous. I want it now, but wont get it till Wednesday. Then I will have to wait till next weekend. :(

I'm so furious at Tesco they cancelled my CE and won't refund the money till after release day so I can't even preorder the SE.

That is ridiculous, and I'm not just saying that as a Sainsbury's employee :p

So not only did they take the money pre-dispatch, they won't give it back even though they know that they fucked up?

Demathe

Neo Member
alright like I said before I got the game early :)

I've played for about 4 hours straight now and since it's the PS3 version some folks were curious as to the looks and performance so I'll give some short impressions...because I don't want to spoil anything and I wanna get back to the game asap :p

just to be sure, I'll put the following in spoiler tags
alright, so first thing is the graphics: huge upgrade from IV, lots of awesome little details throughout the world itself and during action sequences. Much sharper look to everything.

framerate I would guess is mostly somewhere between 25 and 30, with it being pretty smooth most of the time but not without hiccups. Nothing that got in my way of enjoying the game though. But it certainly isn't a solid 30 so you shouldn't expect that (I wasn't)

the lightning is incredible, and the atmosphere is just...wow. Rockstar has always been great at creating gaming worlds but San Andreas in V is something else. Each time of day has its own distinct look and feel and the world just begs to be lived and played in.

I've been a GTA player and fan since 1997, and from what I can tell by these first 4 hours of V is that it could very well be the best one yet. Great things are awaiting you my friends and fellow gamers.

I'm in love with V.

The worst wait isn't now, over the weekend. It will be on Monday or Tuesday, when it arrives and I have to go to work and do real life rubbish before I get to play it.

Gaz_RB

Wait! Are there performance differences?! I'm getting it on 360 to play with others Online, but really am most excited about Single Player. Besides the exclusive marketing campaign, did I miss something?!

No homie! Haha PS3 is doing preload in US now (supposedly) so I did that so I could have the game like 30 minutes earlier than if I go to midnight release to pick up my 360 copy. (I know, I'm a fiend)

Performance is still even, far as I can tell!

Tuesday 3am est, it's why I'm a little weary about the preload. It could of easily have been a typo.

Yeah, might be going to that midnight release after all.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

I've played for about 4 hours straight now and since it's the PS3 version some folks were curious as to the looks and performance so I'll give some short impressions...because I don't want to spoil anything and I wanna get back to the game asap :p

alright, so first thing is the graphics: huge upgrade from IV, lots of awesome little details throughout the world itself and during action sequences. Much sharper look to everything.

framerate I would guess is mostly somewhere between 25 and 30, with it being pretty smooth most of the time but not without hiccups. Nothing that got in my way of enjoying the game though. But it certainly isn't a solid 30 so you shouldn't expect that (I wasn't)

the lightning is incredible, and the atmosphere is just...wow. Rockstar has always been great at creating gaming worlds but San Andreas in V is something else. Each time of day has its own distinct look and feel and the world just begs to be lived and played in.

I've been a GTA player and fan since 1997, and from what I can tell by these first 4 hours of V is that it could very well be the best one yet. Great things are awaiting you my friends and fellow gamers.

I'm in love with V.

Thanks, how is aliasing and pop in?

DukeBobby

I'm in love with V.

Thanks for the impressions.

PS3 version is good, guys. Rejoice!!

That is ridiculous, and I'm not just saying that as a Sainsbury's employee :p

So not only did they take the money pre-dispatch, they won't give it back even though they know that they fucked up?

Essentially. I preordered it about a month ago via tesco direct with 2 buddies. I got a cancellation email last night while being rushed to hospital but my GF didn't tell me at the time because I was having an asthma attack so I found out a few hours later.

First if they didn't have stock they should have not taken my and at least 2 more preorders and require the payment upfront

If it was getting cancelled its a bit last min to do it. Why does it take 5 days for bank reversal from them when it takes no more than 3 with any other company I've dealt with?

I've basically got my gaming budget that I saved for GTA floating between banks at the moment praying it clears back into my account before GAME attempt to take payment for my SE or its getting rejected.

The whole thing has annoyed me to no end. It's going for £150+ on eBay which I'm not prepared to pay and the only thee option Is GameStop America which means paying international tax and such so again £150ish

I'm fine with the SE but it looks like it might end up being standard edtion After launch

I'm in love with V.
Thanks a lot for your impressions!

Would you say it runs smoother than GTA IV, besides looking better?
Also I believe some people have mentioned that aliasing is the most noticeable graphical flaw, at least in the Ps3 version, is it that bad (again, compared to GTA IV)?

dreamfall

No homie! Haha PS3 is doing preload in US now (supposedly) so I did that so I could have the game like 30 minutes earlier than if I go to midnight release to pick up my 360 copy. (I know, I'm a fiend)

Performance is still even, far as I can tell!

Yeah, might be going to that midnight release after all.

Baha- I was tripping out! The earlier the better, I like your style! I hope the performance is nearly identical on both.

Otherwise... Double dippin'! We share the same spirit!

Dave_6

I'm in love with V.

Great news! Thanks for posting!

Why are some of you doubting the US pre load? The tweet clearly states that those who pre ordered will be able to pre load, then it goes on to mention the dates. US wouldn't even be mentioned if there wasn't a pre load.

Gaz_RB

Baha- I was tripping out! The earlier the better, I like your style! I hope the performance is nearly identical on both.

Otherwise... Double dippin'! We share the same spirit!

Yeah double dipping before PC even comes out... Shame on me ;)

I'll leave the PS3 and GTA downstairs for my roommates to scavenge over while I keep the 360 version all to myself :D

Less than four days!

Why are some of you doubting the US pre load? The tweet clearly states that those who pre ordered will be able to pre load, then it goes on to mention the dates. US wouldn't even be mentioned if there wasn't a pre load.

Gotta be careful!

It's the difference between playing it on release or waiting all day for it to download for some people...

Demathe

Neo Member
Thanks, how is aliasing and pop in?

both kinda like you'd expect them to be, although I've been thoroughly impressed by the draw distance, that's some crazy shit considering the hardware

so yeah, aliasing could be better and pop-in is noticeable but by no means is it "where the hell did that tree come from" :p

overall, the way this game looks and performs has left both me and my friend stunned, can't believe a game of this magnitude and with all this content looks and runs so damn well on such old hardware

art direction and lightning are both off the charts

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
both kinda like you'd expect them to be, although I've been thoroughly impressed by the draw distance, that's some crazy shit considering the hardware

so yeah, aliasing could be better and pop-in is noticeable but by no means is it "where the hell did that tree come from" :p

overall, the way this game looks and performs has left both me and my friend stunned, can't believe a game of this magnitude and with all this content looks and runs so damn well on such old hardware

Thanks a lot!

abundant

Just being paranoid since this will be the first preload from SCEA.

r9lLE0c.gif

santana%2520fanning%2520herself.gif

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
At least there's college football tomorrow and NFL on Sunday to help pass the time for me. Still, the days are so damn slow for me now.

Between GTA 5, Wonderful 101, Killzone Mercenary and Dragon's Crown Vita, I will not have any free time outside of work :( . . . ;)

I never was a huge GTA fan but after Bully, RDR (which is one of my favorite games ever) and yes, even LA Noire, I've become a big fan of Rockstar Games. It seems like they have taken the stuff they learned and developed from RDR, Max Payne and other open world titles and crammed them in a more developed GTA. Can't wait!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Would you say the trailers are accurate representations of the game?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I'm in love with V.

Well, damn. Someone said earlier that it was a solid 30fps with no noticeable drops during normal gameplay, but I knew that was too good to be true. Rockstar simply cannot manage stable framerates. Disappointing. Oh well, at least it sounds like an improvement over IV.

(And no, framerate talk isn't a spoiler, that's ridiculous.)

Other than that it sounds great!

KAP151

I got an automated text today from EB asking me to go to the midnight launch. They want me to go at 10:00pm....yeah, I think I’ll pass on that. It'll be crazy.

With the store having well over 600 pre-orders I think it's not going to be worth it. I'll just wait till morning
even though I won't be able to sleep hnnnnnnnng!

I got the same text. All I am doing is going in say 10.05, getting my numbered ticket then going back home. Im only 5 minutes away anyway. I will then drive back at 11.45 and know I have a really low number, so will be getting the game almost instantly.

I'm in love with V.

Thanks for keeping your word. I absolutely love the impressions! This weekend is going to be a pain in the ass.

Demathe

Neo Member
Thanks a lot for your impressions!

Would you say it runs smoother than GTA IV, besides looking better?
Also I believe some people have mentioned that aliasing is the most noticeable graphical flaw, at least in the Ps3 version, is it that bad (again, compared to GTA IV)?

it's been a while since I played IV on a PS3 but I'd definitely say it runs smoother
the controls are tighter too I feel, more direct

as for aliasing yeah it could be better but I wouldn't call it a flaw
it's not detrimental to the overall look of the game so sure there are jaggies but I would never call it "that bad" and it's a clear step above IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom