• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back at the IV midnight launch some dude rolled up in a taxi and had the driver wait while he picked up the game. I just remember thinking "Wow that is such a GTA way to pick up this game."

amazing

i went to san andreas' launch at a cleveland gamestop and a brawl broke out, 2 guys were fighting and knocked over all of the stands and shit in gamestop and people were running out like the place was gonna explode

i would rather have had your experience

While I'm loving the return to all the zaniness, I do hope they retain some of the emotion and pathos that Rockstar has been steadily bleeding into their games over this generation.

GTA4, RDR, and MP3 all had terrific performances and some great emotional scenes and serious dialogue. I don't want GTA5 to be all serious and grimdark and shit, but I hope they retain some of that more 'human' feeling instead of caricatures.

Gurrry

And we all know how faaaaast PSN is. I mean how long will it take to download all those gigs? like 80 hours? yea.. not bad

Youll probably have it by the following tuesday.

Then youll get the "file is corrupted" error.

Re-download.

See you in October!!!

It's not that hard depending on what you consider a spoiler. I've seen a lot in the "SPOILER" thread, but none of it is really "nuclear spoiler" territory. And most of it that WAS heavy spoilers, members have been considerate enough to give warnings. Now my hunger is lessened and I can function like a normal human again, but I still don't really know anything.

It's really been no different than seeing gameplay demonstrations at E3. Y'know, without the developer lying about the console it's running on, or outright faking footage.

That's true. People here have had good judgement as to what spoilers should be tagged. Seeing dat punch only puts my mind at ease that the hand-to-hand has been improved without ruining any surprise I might have while playing the game.

Chris R

And we all know how faaaaast PSN is. I mean how long will it take to download all those gigs? like 80 hours? yea.. not bad

I set Hitman to download over night and woke up to a corrupted installation but missing 16gb of my bandwidth... Never again PSN :|

TheDanger

Banned
amazing

i went to san andreas' launch at a cleveland gamestop and a brawl broke out, 2 guys were fighting and knocked over all of the stands and shit in gamestop and people were running out like the place was gonna explode

i would rather have had your experience

the people running away all managed to snag copies during the confusion they obviously caused, perfect heist.

I should go to sleep

Fjordson

While I'm loving the return to all the zaniness, I do hope they retain some of the emotion and pathos that Rockstar has been steadily bleeding into their games over this generation.

GTA4, RDR, and MP3 all had terrific performances and some great emotional scenes and serious dialogue. I don't want GTA5 to be all serious and grimdark and shit, but I hope they retain some of that more 'human' feeling instead of caricatures.
Can't spoil anything so I'll just say: don't worry.

The voice performances from the three protagonists are great. Like Rob Wiethoff, James McCaffrey-level great.

Gacha-pin

since you can't install all the data on PS3, digital version must get better performance, shorter loading times etc. It offsets 80 hour long PSN download in a long run ;p

Alienous

That's true. People here have had good judgement as to what spoilers should be tagged. Seeing dat punch only puts my mind at ease that the hand-to-hand has been improved without ruining any surprise I might have while playing the game.

Yes, I'll agree. Seeing the core mechanics of the game allow you to see it as, well, a game. It certainly made the wait easier for me. It really is just a game, and though it may be one of the greatest ever created, it's not the second coming, as some people seem to hype it to be.

The voice performances from the three protagonists are great. Like Rob Wiethoff, James McCaffrey-level great.

tumblr_lpcbkfaFAd1qii6tmo1_500.gif

oxidax

Youll probably have it by the following tuesday.

Then youll get the "file is corrupted" error.

Re-download.

See you in October!!!

Man, ive been looking for a store to break street date since yesterday. None of the m&p stores in nyc will release it before monday night. I finally decided to give up and wait for the midnight release but as soon as Sony and R* announced that you could preload on monday, i jumped into that. Went to my closest gamestop which is not really close to cancel my preorder which i ordered online. Found out that there was NO pre order under my name even tho on gamestop.com it says that i did preorder it. Fine, i called up Customer service and waited for about 45m and then solved the problem and now i wish i didnt because R* and sony decided to fuck up. Friday 13th.

Gaz_RB

Yes, I'll agree. Seeing the core mechanics of the game allow you to see it as, well, a game. It certainly made the wait easier for me. It really is just a game, and though it may be one of the greatest ever created, it's not the second coming, as some people seem to hype it to be.

The hype feels so good though haha

Booting up that game for the first time is gonna be amazing. Might hate on it five years later in the GTA 6 OT, but for those first couple days....

I downloaded the last of us, didn't take that long actually. Ive never had a problem with psn downloads luckily but I kinda want the gta special edition.

oxidax

since you can't install all the data on PS3, digital version must get better performance, shorter loading times etc. It offsets 80 hour long PSN download in a long run ;p

Is that a fact ? Cus if it is then forget about everything i said and bring on the 80 hours lol

Gurrry

Man, ive been looking for a store to break street date since yesterday. None of the m&p stores in nyc will release it before monday night. I finally decided to give up and wait for the midnight release but as soon as Sony and R* announced that you could preload on monday, i jumped into that. Went to my closest gamestop which is not really close to cancel my preorder which i ordered online. Found out that there was NO pre order under my name even tho on gamestop.com it says that i did preorder it. Fine, i called up Customer service and waited for about 45m and then solved the problem and now i wish i didnt because R* and sony decided to fuck up. Friday 13th.

Dude honestly, you could probably just cancel your digital order and re-pre-order it..

Lol.. re-pre-order. I think I need to start using that more often. Its got alot of hypens - and I love hyphens.

And yes, it will take a long ass time to download it.

PSN download times are by far the worst of any platform out there, not to mention there will be a gajillion people trying to download it at the same time as you.

I know for a fact you wouldnt play it Tuesday night.

oxidax

Dude honestly, you could probably just cancel your digital order and re-pre-order it..

Lol.. re-pre-order. I think I need to start using that more often. Its got alot of hypens - and I love hyphens.

PSN download times are by far the worst of any platform out there, not to mention there will be a gajillion people trying to download it at the same time as you.

I thought you couldn't after getting charged and i already got charged. I need to find out.

Zukuu

Banned
Will start the download on tuesday (8 am over here) and then go to sleep. When I wake up, that thing will be finished and I can start to play all day long. <3

James McCaffrey's performance is the primary reason I'm playing through Max Payne 3 again at the moment. So this is really good news.

Voice actors and mo-capped, apparently.

Yeah. Rockstar doesn't do it separately anymore. It's like Uncharted. The actors ARE the characters. It's for better, you got a lot more powerful and more natural performances this way.

Wait... it has the LA Noire face mocap stuff?

No way. I dont believe that for a second.

No, it doesn't use the LAN face mocap tech. Rockstar just has them on a soundstage where the actors play their own characters, recording both motion and voice capture at the same time.

Read an interview on the Guardian, apparently the only people that rival Rockstar's studios for mocap is James Cameron's Avatar.

Gurrry

Yeah. Rockstar doesn't do it separately anymore. It's like Uncharted. The actors ARE the characters. It's for better, you got a lot more powerful and more natural performances this way.

No, it doesn't use the LAN face mocap tech. Rockstar just has them on a soundstage where the actors play their own characters, recording both motion and voice capture at the same time.

Read an interview on the Guardian, apparently the only people that rival Rockstar's studios for mocap is James Cameron's Avatar.

The mocap they used on LA Noire was ground breaking tech.

Too bad the game sucked. :(

Is this the first Rockstar game that allows you to swim? None of the pass gta games allowed it and I just thought about it now while dying in a pool of water in Red Dead Redemption.

That is complete exaggeration. I started downloading TLOU at Tuesday12am pst which is 36gb and it was done when I woke up in the morning. My internet speed is 15mbps. GTA 5 is 18gb and it will download in half the time it took TLOU.

Stop it.

oxidax

That is complete exaggeration. I started downloading TLOU at Tuesday12am pst which is 36gb and it was done when I woke up in the morning. My internet speed is 15mbps. GTA 5 is 18gb and it will download in half the time it took TLOU.

Stop it.

im a bit higher than that speed so i kno ill prob be fine. Still, i wanted to preload. I guess nobody else is complaining so im just gonna shut up lol

DogMeat77

Stop it.

My OG PS3 via wifi is laughable and would probably take several days to download 18GB.

I have since hardwired it via Ethernet cable and the speeds are just fine and pretty much max out my connection (15mbps). My understanding is that the wifi on the OGs was just really bad... so I wonder if that is what some of the folks are talking about.

Gurrry

Stop it.

It may be a bit of an exaggeration, but with as many people trying to download the game at the same time as you, the servers will be slammed.

This isnt TLOU. This is GTA. Its a different beast.

mcfrank

lVhPLXh.jpg

Picked up my copy in LA about 3 hours ago. I have put about 90 minutes into it so far. I am liking the game so far I must say, judging by the Xbox videos I have seen compared to playing the PS3 version I wish I had gotten it on 360 (the store was not selling 360 versions yet). I am getting a lot of slow down on the PS3 version with dips into what seems like 18 - 20 fps fairly regularly. If you have both systems, at this point I would suggest the 360 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom