• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

Wow, people are cancelling pre-orders after one single post of impressions by some random dude? Even after countless people have said the PS3 version is fine and that is no difference?

wow

These people surely don't actually cancel their pre-orders do they? So pathetic.

Lol. Multiple people have said the ps3 version runs fine, then one person says it runs worse (without ever playing the 360 version) and now everyone is acting like its proof of the 360 version being better.

Nugg

I just got randomely spoiled =(
I was hanging on some (poorly moderated) board, and there was some guy who posted a massive spoiler in a non GTA thread.

I'm not even sure it's true of course, but I'm gonna spend the whole game thinking about it now :(

Guys, be EXTRA careful =(

Ensirius

Hello everyone. First post on Gaf after 3 long years lurking.

I got the ps3 version yesterday, I put a good 3 hours into the game and I gotta back up those reports of people getting dips in fps. This is specially noticeable when driving. Not so much while on foot.

Will post proof I got my legit copy later. On my phone right now.

So glad to finally be a part of this awesome community.

If anyone has any question feel free to PM me.

mcfrank

I think they're guessing too.

I am the one who said 18 - 20 and I am seeing it with my own eyes. Do I know it is exactly 18 fps? No, I dont have a FRAPS on my PS3 unfortunately. But I have played enough games on PC with Fraps up to know what 18FPS looks like

Lol. Multiple people have said the ps3 version runs fine, then one person says it runs worse (without ever playing the 360 version) and now everyone is acting like its proof of the 360 version being better.

People tend to take each other's word for it here and it quickly spreads like bonfire. Person A says it runs like crap in comparison to the 360 version, and then Person B/C take his word for it and spread the same faulty information. Soon the entire alphabet is using the information from Person A as fact.

I am the one who said 18 - 20 and I am seeing it with my own eyes. Do I know it is exactly 18 fps? No, I dont have a FRAPS on my PS3 unfortunately. But I have played enough games on PC with Fraps up to know what 18FPS looks like

When you come from 60 FPS PC everything below 30 feels like 18-20-22 or whatever.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've seen the 'pre-order cancelled' post so many times I don't know if people is Kidding anymore or not...

If it's actually true that the PS3 version frequently drops below 20 fps, then yes, I believe I will cancel my pre-order. That's just unacceptably bad, I can't deal with a GTA running that shitty again. Will wait for the inevitable PC/next-gen version in that case. But if the guy who said that is exaggerating, and it really just drops from 30 to 25 every now and then, I can live with it and will happily be playing the game next week.

mcfrank

People tend to take each other's word for it here and it quickly spreads like bonfire. Person A says it runs like crap in comparison to the 360 version, and then Person B/C take his word for it and spread the same faulty information. Soon the entire alphabet is using the information from Person A as fact.

When you come from 60 FPS PC everything below 30 feels like 18-20-22 or whatever.

You guys can interpret what I am saying however you want. The game is fun and looks great, but the frame rate is pretty spotty on PS3. Do I know for sure it is better on 360? No, I don't have that version. But I can say with 100% certainty that there are frequent FPS issues on the PS3 while driving in the city so if you have access to both systems, you might want to get the 360 version. If all you have is a PS3 should you cancel your preorder? No. Of course not.

ufo8mycat

People need to remember everyone has different sensitivty levels.

To some they need 60fps, others get same experience at 30fps and others aren't sensitive to the 30fps and occassional dips to 25fps/20fps.

When someone says the framerate is bad and dips, may not be the same for someone else.

So some people need to calm down before they cancel their orders :D

If it's actually true that the PS3 version frequently drops below 20 fps, then yes, I believe I will cancel my pre-order. That's just unacceptably bad, I can't deal with a GTA running that shitty again. Will wait for the inevitable PC/next-gen version in that case. But if the guy who said that is exaggerating, and it really just drops from 30 to 25 every now and then, I can live with it.

I wouldn't cancel to be honest because the game looks great but seriously R* you've used damn PS3 footage in ALL your trailers. Why the Heck isn't it on par with 360 !!

People need to remember everyone has different sensitivty levels.

To some they need 60fps, others get same experience at 30fps and others aren't sensitive to the 30fps and occassional dips to 25fps/20fps.

When someone says the framerate is bad and dips, may not be the same for someone else.

So some people need to calm down before they cancel their orders :D

Surely anyone at this point should know how much framerate means to them. I have also seen people on here claim they didn't notice GTA4 slowfowns hehe.

skynidas

Banned
I have the PS3 version and have played it for more than 4 hours and the frame rate havent gone below 20 fps, not even once. I think the game looks incredible and the performance is good.

I'm not saying that mcfrank is lying, but this has been my experience with the PS3 version.

SgtCobra

You guys can interpret what I am saying however you want. The game is fun and looks great, but the frame rate is pretty spotty on PS3. Do I know for sure it is better on 360? No, I don't have that version. But I can say with 100% certainty that there are frequent FPS issues on the PS3 while driving in the city so if you have access to both systems, you might want to get the 360 version. If all you have is a PS3 should you cancel your preorder? No. Of course not.

You're seriously the only one I've seen on the internet saying the framerate on PS3 is "spotty"

mcfrank

I have the PS3 version and have played it for more than 4 hours and the frame rate havent gone below 20 fps, not even once. I think the game looks incredible and the performance is good.

I'm not saying that mcfrank is lying, but this has been my experience with the PS3 version.

I said 18 - 20 FPS, you say 20 FPS. We are saying the same thing. I don't have an FPS counter up on my PS3 so obviously 18 - 20 is a guess, just like you saying 20 is a guess.

Mind me asking what platform you usually play games on? If you frequent the PC and only tend to play exclusive games like TLoU and GTA V I can understand that the dips are extremely noticeable for you. If I would have driven a fast high speed car my entire life but all of a sudden I have to get a rental, I would feel the differences as well. People like me, who tend to only play games on the 360 and PS3, are not that susceptible.

SJRB

Gold Member
I still can't believe that, of all stores out there, freaking Amazon just says "fuck it" and ships the game three days early. Three days!

Someone over at Rockstar HQ is slamming some doors right about now, I'd wager.

But still, congrats to everyone who received an early copy. Amazing surprise and an awesome weekend ahead of you.

skynidas

Banned
I said 18 - 20 FPS, you say 20 FPS. We are saying the same thing. I don't have an FPS counter up on my PS3 so obviously 18 - 20 is a guess, just like you saying 20 is a guess.

Nah man, i ain't saying 20. I have played a lot of games that dip to 20 fps and this game haven't done that. I think the game runs perfectly good on the PS3.

Yeah, why would anyone put stock in one opinion?

Wait for the majority vote here, guys. I truly believe that Rockstar has had more than enough time to learn the intricacies of the PS3 hardware. This is a game that's been in development for nearly 5 years, and I don't even need to mention the budget, do I? I somehow doubt they're going to pull a Bethesda on this one.

I still can't believe that, of all stores out there, freaking Amazon just says "fuck it" and ships the game three days early. Three days!

Someone over at Rockstar HQ is slamming some doors right about now, I'd wager.

But still, congrats to everyone who received an early copy. Amazing surprise and an awesome weekend ahead of you.

I ordered my copy in June from Amazon and it still hasn't shipped yet...

mcfrank

Mind me asking what platform you usually play games on? If you frequent the PC and only tend to play exclusive games like TLoU and GTA V I can understand that the dips are extremely noticeable for you. If I would have driven a fast high speed car my entire life but all of a sudden I have to get a rental, I would feel the differences as well. People like me, who tend to only play games on the 360 and PS3, are not that susceptible.

I very rarely play PC games anymore. I am probably 60/30/10 Xbox, PS3, PC. My computer is an iMac running bootcamp, so it is not top of the line. I am in no way used to 60fps all of the time.

For anyone who played TLOU, If you remember the walk up to the capitol building. I frequently get a very similar framerate in GTA while driving as the walk up to the capitol building. If that didnt bother you, this wont either. If that bothered you, this probably will too.

bitoriginal

Seeing people overreact to unverified reports and word of mouth is par for the course on gaf. Its sad that we have this shit everytime a new multiplat title comes out.

Come on guys, most of the streams we've seen look fucking amazing and if there is minor difference between each version then you're not going to notice unless you've got two screens side by side with each version of the game. Stop worrying about shit that is still up in the air and get excited for one of the most detailed, massive, and gorgeous looking open world games you'll ever play.

dandoolan

I ordered my copy in June from Amazon and it still hasn't shipped yet...

As long as it ships today you will be fine for getting it on release day. Before 13:00, you might even get it Monday. After 13:00 you'll still get it on release day no matter what. So I wouldn't worry.

Hell, they could post it early Monday and theres still a pretty good chance you would get it on release day.

I very rarely play PC games anymore. I am probably 60/30/10 Xbox, PS3, PC. My computer is an iMac running bootcamp, so it is not top of the line. I am in no way used to 60fps all of the time.

For anyone who played TLOU, If you remember the walk up to the capitol building. I frequently get a very similar framerate in GTA while driving as the walk up to the capitol building. If that didnt bother you, this wont either. If that bothered you, this probably will too.

If that's truly the case (and I'm thinking the jury is still out on this one), then meh.

I'll take that over screen tearing any day of the week.

Thanks for the impressions. Going with the 360 version for sure. Almost all R* developed open-world games run better on the 360 I don't see why GTA V would be any different.

mcfrank

Seeing people overreact to unverified reports and word of mouth is par for the course on gaf. Its sad that we have this shit everytime a new multiplat title comes out.

Come on guys, most of the streams we've seen look fucking amazing and if there is minor difference between each version then you're not going to notice unless you've got two screens side by side with each version of the game. Stop worrying about shit that is still up in the air and get excited for one of the most detailed, massive, and gorgeous looking open world games you'll ever play.

Yes, get excited because the game is really fun and I am enjoying it so far. The whole point of my post was just to let people who have both systems know what my experience is like on PS3 w/r/t frame rate. People are being crazy talking about canceling their preorders. I had a few issues with TLOU frame rate, but it doesnt mean it is not one of the best games I have ever played.

Forsete

Based on the streams I have seen I would estimate the framerate to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 0-30 fps on both systems.

Best regards: Forsete

PS: I bet both versions have "spotty" framerates.. It is after all, GTA! Sru the history of the series perhaps only GTA1 and 2 had a stable framerate.

mcfrank

Alright, headed to bed guys. Seriously the game is really fun and be excited about that. If all you have is a PS3, you are getting a really fun game. I am about 5 hours in now and there have been 2 or 3 missions already that are better than anything in GTA 4.

bitoriginal

Yes, get excited because the game is really fun and I am enjoying it so far. The whole point of my post was just to let people who have both systems know what my experience is like on PS3 w/r/t frame rate. People are being crazy talking about canceling their preorders. I had a few issues with TLOU frame rate, but it doesnt mean it is one of the best games I have ever played.

You've got absolutely no evidence to back up your point though, so it's kinda pointless raising the issue. I can understand if you'd have said it occasionally gets dips, but specifying 18-20 is just shit stirring and could be totally incorrect. Theres no way the ps3 streams we've seen have dipped to 18 fps. Slightly below 30? Sure. 18-20? Nah.

dyergram

Different people have different sensitivity with regards to fps same with screen tear. I fully expect both versions to be near identical with 360 having slightly higher frame rate and ps3 slightly better quality sound, as per most multiplats.

Orbis

Mine is 'dispatching now' on Amazon UK, ordered with Prime. With Prime it could dispatch Monday afternoon for Tuesday delivery, so looks good so far. As long as I have it Tuesday I'm more than happy.

KAP151

The vast majority of people that buy the game wont even notice or even care about a frame dip.

Cancelling pre-orders is nothing short of hilarious.

You've got absolutely no evidence to back up your point though, so it's kinda pointless raising the issue. I can understand if you'd have said it occasionally gets dips, but specifying 18-20 is just shit stirring and could be totally incorrect. Theres no way the ps3 streams we've seen have dipped to 18 fps. Slightly below 30? Sure. 18-20? Nah.

How much of said streams would you say you've watched? How many people can verify that performance based on the streams alone? Were the streams in HD?

I'm avoiding spoilers like the plague, so forgive my numerous questions.

Framerate is honestly the least of my concerns in free roamable titles especially when it is on these current gen consoles. The only thing I want to know is if the resolution is 720p on the PS3 and not some sub-hd crap that was present on RDR in comparison to the 360 version.

I can handle dips to framerate of 25 or a little below, but when a game becomes muddy and has this vaseline filter spread out over the screen, it is distracting me a lot.

Acorn

BTW there was nothing at all on the Amazon packaging that said about holding the package until September 17th.

Amazon are big enough to say "fuck you" to any rockstar embargo crap they seem to have pulled with other stores (I don't think any other online store has posted until today).

Oh wow Amazon shipped my order yesterday and it's already in the Parcel Motel up North, might get it tonight! Now I really need to finish the Last of Us

Hoo-doo

Banned

Eh, he is just giving his impressions. Nothing wrong with that. He shouldn't have to give any "evidence".

And he, you know, actually has played the game. You have not.
I'm sure the PS3 version is just fine. A few framedrops here and there won't deter me from having fun. Not in the slightest.

Different people have different sensitivity with regards to fps same with screen tear. I fully expect both versions to be near identical with 360 having slightly higher frame rate and ps3 slightly better quality sound, as per most multiplats.

Screen tear is something that bothers me immensely. The only time frame rate ever really affected me in a big way was with the PS3 Skyrim...but I quickly shelved it for several months until they had it all patched up and really hadn't allowed myself to play it in any capacity until it was as smooth as they could get it.

When I went back to play the first Uncharted I was horrified by the amount of screen tearing I was noticing. It was almost nauseating (my eyes trying to focus on the action, but unable to avoid the atrocious amount of screen tears).

Screen tearing really is the worst for me. GTA frame rates have never really bothered me, and I suspect this won't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom