• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkbanjo

Because next day deliveries are done through couriers who guarantee the delivery date, this means Amazon don't even try to ship those ones until the last minute, because they can be certain it will reach the customer on release day either way.

Royal Mail on the other hand is a lot less reliable, so Amazon ship those a couple of days earlier to stick to their release day promise, which results in some people getting them early.

Ah I see. Didn't know about that. Suppose at this point the difference between Monday and Tuesday isn't too big of a deal.

Martian

What exactly is the reason Rockstar games (or multiplat games in general) perform better on Xbox? Isn't the PS3 equipped with some better hardware (the reason why it was more expensive?)

GenericUser

Again, this hurts my brain. How is the controls being smooth or not a spoiler? Is it that you don't want any expectations at all on the game that could possibly lead to disappointment in case someone was overselling it?

Not a big deal, I'll buy it anyway. Mechanics and how the game feels just decides if I'll replay it again over the years of if it goes right on the shelf once I feel that I've seen anything worthwhile.

OG Kush

It's still so stupid that you have to hold the A/X button to jog, and then tap to sprint... WHy can't they use the fact that we have analogue sticks?!
Also the aiming reticle can be hard to see at times.
My non spoilery thoughts right now..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I know it's just a developer quote but Dan said that both versions will be virtually identical, so just get whatever one you would rather play on.

Haven't they said that before the release of every game this generation? It has never been true (although they've been getting better).

What exactly is the reason Rockstar games (or multiplat games in general) perform better on Xbox? Isn't the PS3 equipped with some better hardware (the reason why it was more expensive?)

The PS3 has a stronger CPU, but it's more difficult to extract its full power than with the simpler 360 CPU. The PS3 also has a weaker GPU, and a less flexible memory setup (two separate pools of main and GPU memory). In the hands of the right developer the PS3 can definitely outperform the 360, but Rockstar (like many other multiplat devs) simply hasn't been that good at optimizing for it with their previous efforts. We'll see how they've done this time.

It's still so stupid that...

Some people in here will probably consider any details about the controls a spoiler. They just don't want to know anything at all, you can barely acknowledge that the game exists.

Artex

Banned
It's still so stupid that you have to hold the A/X button to jog, and then tap to sprint... WHy can't they use the fact that we have analogue sticks?!
Also the aiming reticle can be hard to see at times.
My non spoilery thoughts right now..

Analog stick pressing to sprint is one of the worst trends in gaming. You can't continue to run while changing your direction drastically.

PureGone

Banned
First impression: no spoilers

i was really really really hyped for this game and I was thinking that this was going to be my GOTY, so maybe I was too hyped. From the trailers and stuff I was expecting this game to be the best looking console game of the gen. So I was really disappointed when I started up the game, Maybe I got spoiled by Last of Us, but the graphics are no nearly as good, although it is open world. Shooting feels weird, not as good as Last of Us or Max Payne 3, it feels like the characters are too heavy, driving also feels weird,it's like driving a empty cardboard box on ice. Story is interesting, but characters cruse way too much that its actually annoying to listen to. But all that stuff will probably get better

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Analog stick pressing to sprint is one of the worst trends in gaming. You can't continue to run while changing your direction drastically.

I think he's just saying that pushing the stick fully forward should at least make you jog, not walk like it does in every GTA. A/Cross could still be used for sprinting.

I agree that pressing the stick in to sprint always feels awful.

jiggles

Banned
From the Amazon thread. :)

Aw, shit. The Derry orders arrived? Time to scoot back to the house.

EDIT: SURE ENOUGH

imagezns6e.jpg

PureGone

Banned

I have the game and Last of Us, hell even inFamous 2 looks better that GTA V so far.

i was really really really hyped for this game and I was thinking that this was going to be my GOTY, so maybe I was too hyped. From the trailers and stuff I was expecting this game to be the best looking console game of the gen. So I was really disappointed when I started up the game, Maybe I got spoiled by Last of Us, but the graphics are no nearly as good, although it is open world. Shooting feels weird, not as good as Last of Us or Max Payne 3, it feels like the characters are too heavy, driving also feels weird,it's like driving a empty cardboard box on ice. Story is interesting, but characters cruse way too much that its actually annoying to listen to. But all that stuff will probably get better

D :

Ok, i now experienced the first 30 Minutes of both the PS3 version and the Xbox version first hand.

The 360 version had some slight Pop Ins during the intro (confirmed by another guy), that the PS3 version didn´t.

The PS3 version looks slightly cleaner ingame, but it could also be that some lightning effects from the Xbox version are missing/look better on xbox. But i´m not sure of that.

What is the GAF consensus so far about this?

PureGone

Banned
I don't understand how the map can still be in the OP. It is a HUGE spoiler, even if it is official media.

Yeah I thought it was pretty cool, how the whole map isn't unlocked in the game, you have to explore to unlock it. I have seen the map yet, and am looking forward to slowly unlocking it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, i now experienced the first 30 Minutes of both the PS3 version and the Xbox version first hand.

The 360 version had some slight Pop Ins during the intro (confirmed by another guy), that the PS3 version didn´t.

The PS3 version looks slightly cleaner ingame, but it could also be that some lightning effects from the Xbox version are missing/look better on xbox. But i´m not sure of that.

What is the GAF consensus so far about this?

What about framerate? Any noticeable difference?

Artex

Banned
I think he's just saying that pushing the stick fully forward should at least make you jog, not walk like it does in every GTA. A/Cross could still be used for sprinting.

I agree that pressing the stick in to sprint always feels awful.

Gotcha. I believe Rockstars intentions were about presentation and immersion, having you walk the same speed as pedestrians. I for one have no problem with it.

Yeah I thought it was pretty cool, how the whole map isn't unlocked in the game, you have to explore to unlock it. I have seen the map yet, and am looking forward to slowly unlocking it

That sounds awesome. I haven't really studied the map in the OP, but it's a case of "can't unsee it". :(

Yes, I'm mad. I'm on full media blackout, only to get spoiled by a GAF OP.

Ive got a question I haven't seen answered anywhere else.

Anybody know how the matchmaking works in GTA Online? I have read previously that the game will look first for friends of yours and for crews. When they say 'friends,' are they talking about your friend list on 360/PSN, or are they talking about your friends on Social Club, which may differ?

PureGone

Banned
LoU isnt an open world game so not really any sort of a comparision. Infamous 2? LOL nope.

Right from the beginning the graphics look weird idk what it is, character model looks good but some textures are really low quality and blurry. Maybe not infamous 2 as a whole but parts of infamous 2 look better and what I have seen of GTA V so far.

And if you have played Last of Us before this game, the graphics are really going to disappoint you.

Not really but kinda spoiler for last of us and beginning of GTA V location.
The snow effects are so much better in Last of Us than GTA V

Fjordson

I have the game and Last of Us, hell even inFamous 2 looks better that GTA V so far.
inFamous 2 seems really hard to believe given what I've seen of V, but I'll take your word for it. Last of Us on the other hand doesn't surprise me given how linear it is.

jwtsonga

so i was right. 360 is slightly better fps but visible pop in.
PS3 is little pop in but slightly worse fps.

Rockstar well done :-D

PureGone

Banned
inFamous 2 seems really hard to believe given what I've seen of V, but I'll take your word for it. Last of Us on the other hand doesn't surprise me given how linear it is.

Maybe it's just the beginning portion that's like this but there's some blurry textures and it kinds reminds me of how Bioshock: Infinite looked on consoles.

sunnz

Right from the beginning the graphics look weird idk what it is, character model looks good but some textures are really low quality and blurry. Maybe not infamous 2 as a whole but parts of infamous 2 look better and what I have seen of GTA V so far.

And if you have played Last of Us before this game, the graphics are really going to disappoint you.

Not really but kinda spoiler for last of us and beginning of GTA V location.
The snow effects are so much better in Last of Us than GTA V

From the leaked footages, the only thing that really looks low quality and quite bad is the
grass/ ground texture

The rest looked fine though but I was watching a medium quality stream :p

PureGone

Banned
so i was right. 360 is slightly better fps but visible pop in.
PS3 is little pop in but slightly worse fps.

Rockstar well done :-D

My friend has the 360 version and I have the PS3 version and we are playing together. FPS is pretty solid on both but I noticed a lot more pop in with his version

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah I don't believe that either. Infamous 2 looks and runs like a hot mess and the little I've seen of V is far better.

You're crazy if you thought this game was going to look better than 2 Sony exclusives, and one of those being linear. GTA V has a lot more going on at once than infamous, so of course it's going to have to cut some corners.

Fjordson

Maybe it's just the beginning portion that's like this but there's some blurry textures and it kinds reminds me of how Bioshock: Infinite looked on consoles.
I've seen that as well, some bad textures and pop-in, but the lighting and draw distance is worlds above anything I saw in inFamous 2. And it looks a lot less blurry overall than GTA IV to me.

But to be clear, I can't truly refute anything you're saying, haven't played it yet. Just surprises me.

PureGone

Banned
Another cool thing, about character health:

I haven't done any story missions other than the ones you have to do to get to the open world, so once I did I went around killing cops and its cool how quickly you die, like 3-4 shots can kill you. But I'm pretty sure health can be upgraded, and until then its a pretty realistic cop killing sim

jwtsonga

Yeah so small differences. Props to Rockstar for finally releasing a game which is basically EVEN on both consoles!!!!!! Perosnally I hate pop in but I can deal with 25-30fps.

OG Kush

No, I feel you should push the stick lightly to walk, and all the way to jog, not an outright spring. Have a sprint button, but not a button just to make me move at anything but a snails pace!

PureGone

Banned
I've seen that as well, some bad textures and pop-in, but the lighting and draw distance is worlds above anything I saw in inFamous 2. And it looks a lot less blurry overall than GTA IV to me.

But to be clear, I can't truly refute anything you're saying, haven't played it yet. Just surprises me.

I agree with all of that, GTA V does a lot of things better, It's just I was too hyped for the graphics being like the best thing ever.

For people complaining about shooting or the reticule being difficult to see: everything is adjustable in the start menu. Change sensitivity, target lock options, reticule icons, etc. Also, don't be afraid to shoot from the hip. Sometimes it is easier and more beneficial than aiming down sights.

jwtsonga

No, I feel you should push the stick lightly to walk, and all the way to jog, not an outright spring. Have a sprint button, but not a button just to make me move at anything but a snails pace!

Hopefully it is like RDR. In that game, whenever you had a weapon out, the analogue stick magically became 'jog' rather than 'walk'.
This is the best of both worlds IMO. You can enjoy the sights when not in combat. And then during combat, when speed is vital, the controls come good.

PureGone

Banned
For people complaining about shooting or the reticule being difficult to see: everything is adjustable in the start menu. Change sensitivity, target lock options, reticule icons, etc. Also, don't be afraid to shoot from the hip. Sometimes it is easier and more beneficial than aiming down sights.

I haven't bad a problem with it being hard to see but shooting doesn't feel fluid and feels like the character has too much weight, kinda the opposite of how the cars feel.

Blimey, that's a pretty sobering critique to read after all the gushing hype the past few days. Keep it coming man, I like good honest impressions like this!

omonimo

Banned
How much is "slightly"? If we're taking 30 vs 25 fps I don't know that I'll agree with it being well done.

I bet fps will be the same of max payne 3 ps360, so enough on par. The only thing who really worry me, it's the vegetation. I hope ps3 don't suffer lack of grass like RDR here. It's the only my concern about this version. Typically R games suffer of less details grass on ps3, sometimes in some area is very noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom