• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureGone

Banned
Blimey, that's a pretty sobering critique to read after all the gushing hype the past few days. Keep it coming man, I like good honest impressions like this!

I'm playing this with my friend and he's going crazy over it like its the best thing ever. But he hasn't played as many games as I have. So I'm ending up comparing it to too many games,

No spoilers just impressions
The driving in Sleeping Dogs felt better, the shooting in MP3, Last of us, sleeping dogs felt better, last of us has better graphics etc etc so maybe I'm not being too fair

People's reactions to spoilered impressions should also be spoilered.

ibpKsy1nnEwjkE.gif

I don't understand why people discussing the game, without mentioning the plot, should be spoilered.

It's never like that in any other OT. This is getting ridiculous.

Having to highlight spoilers for impressions of graphics, controls and controls?

TheDanger

Banned
I agree with all of that, GTA V does a lot of things better, It's just I was too hyped for the graphics being like the best thing ever.

How could you have possibly thought that a massive open world game with so much stuff going on has better graphics than a linear PS3 exclusive? How?

Quidam

The shooting in the Last of Us is a load of rubbish, I'd be surprised if GTA's is worse, given it's based on Max Payne 3

UrbanRats

I'm playing this with my friend and he's going crazy over it like its the best thing ever. But he hasn't played as many games as I have. So I'm ending up comparing it to too many games,

No spoilers just impressions
The driving in Sleeping Dogs felt better, the shooting in MP3, Last of us, sleeping dogs felt better, last of us has better graphics etc etc so maybe I'm not being too fair

Sleepy Dogs
had shitty driving and abysmal shooting, so if it's worse that that one,
i'd better cancel my pre order!
Thanks for the impressions.

PureGone

Banned
I don't understand why people discussing the game, without mentioning the plot, should be spoilered.

Having to highlight spoilers for impressions of graphics, controls and controls?

Some people want to have their own opinions and not have them spoiled by other people influence, that's why I'm spoiler tagging all my impressions

How good/bad are the LOD, pop ins, and shadow render distances compared to say Assassin's Creed 2? I've been playing that for the first time recently, and although all of the above are very noticeable at times, I can generally live with it.

why even make in the OT for the game this early, if nobody can actually talk ABOUT the game

If you're that spoilerphobic, you shouldn't even be on the internet, much less this thread

dudes in here losing their minds off aiming impressions, of all things

waypoetic

Banned
The shooting in the Last of Us is a load of rubbish, I'd be surprised if GTA's is worse, given it's based on Max Payne 3

As much as i enjoyed TLOU i have to agree, the shooting wasn't all that good - in my opinion. I haven't played Max Payne 3 but i've heard a lot of good things about how the shooting feels in that game, more so than TLOU.

The use of spoiler bars for these so called ‘spoilers’ is borderline insane at the moment.....

I mean saying you were disappointed with graphics is considered a spoiler? LOOOOOOL.

omonimo

Banned
Some people want to have their own opinions and not have them spoiled by other people influence, that's why I'm spoiler tagging all my impressions

Out of my curiosty, how is it the vegetation? Because graphically this game is surely impressive to be a free roaming but it seems lack of vegetation details.

jwtsonga

MP3 shooting was the BEST. Glad that GTA V is based off MP3.

And sleeping dogs driving was pretty dumbed down, and shooting also mediocre. Hand-to-hand was incredible though. Hopefully GTA betters all of em

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Spoilerphopia x100 in this thread.

I'm out, the other thread is much more fun.

PureGone

Banned
The use of spoiler bars for these so called ‘spoilers’ is borderline insane at the moment.....

I mean saying you were disappointed with graphics is considered a spoiler? LOOOOOOL.

Better safe than sorry, I rather have people complaining about me using spoiler tags than complaining I ruined something about the game for them

UrbanRats

I don't know, i'm just spoiler tagging because other are spoiler tagging, i don't want my ass banned.

Besides, i haven't seen any leak, so i don't know anything spoilerific (nor do i want to know).

Story and activities/events are spoilers to me, general impressions, performance and controls aren't.

PureGone

Banned
Out of my curiosty, how is it the vegetation? Because graphically this game is surely impressive to be a free roaming but it seems lack of vegetation details.

Hmm idk yet, not much vegetation in the city, I just came from playing SRIV so it's better than that

Sn4ke_911

My friend has the 360 version and I have the PS3 version and we are playing together. FPS is pretty solid on both but I noticed a lot more pop in with his version

One thing, PS3 and 360 version about the same amount of aliasing?

derExperte

That's a good point, I playing on a 48 inch plasma TV, about 3-5 feet away from it.

I have only a 40inch TV and 3 feet is way too close for comfort for me, all console games would look bad because you really start to notice bad textures, subHD, popins and stuff. I guess the ones liking the graphics more sit further away.

PureGone

Banned
One thing, PS3 and 360 version about the same amount of aliasing?

Yeah I haven't noticed any difference in that, but I haven't really compared them side by side yet. I have noticed the more noticeable things like frame rate, which is pretty similar and pop in which I noticed a lot more on the 360 version

Sn4ke_911

Yeah I haven't noticed any difference in that, but I haven't really compared them side by side yet. I have noticed the more noticeable things like frame rate, which is pretty similar and pop in which I noticed a lot more on the 360 version

Thanks a lot man!

The one thing that GTA V does better then 99% of the other games this gen graphics wise is lightning.
After you have seen the first 15 minutes you will know what i mean.
Lightning, lightning, lightning, thats the future boys.

Yesterday i was only racing around the vast landscapes with a supercar for 2 hours straight.
Together with the pumping Beats and the amazing driving controls, it felt like I was actually driving through california.
I felt like I was on vacation.

The landscapes and urban areas are intense, so rich of detail, so vivid.

PureGone

Banned
The one thing that GTA V does better then 99% of the other games this gen graphics wise is lightning.

Yesterday i was only racing around the vast landscapes with a supercar for 2 hours straight.
Together with the pumping Beats and the amazing driving controls, it felt like I was actually driving through california.

The lighting is very good, but the driving controls, not so much. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it

Has anyone's console been banned for playing online with a legit copy, other than those people who were leaking stuff a couple of days ago? I'm just worried if I'll go online with mine that I'll get the banhammer.

Fjordson

Yeah, the lighting is fucking crazy. That skyline at night =O

Dutch press guys are going bonkers about guys who got their copy early getting console bans from Microsoft when going online.

Any truth to this or just scare tactics? And how is this justifiable for Microsoft to do? I get banning the guys who illegally download the game, but why for people who get it early in a legal way?

Right from the beginning the graphics look weird idk what it is, character model looks good but some textures are really low quality and blurry. Maybe not infamous 2 as a whole but parts of infamous 2 look better and what I have seen of GTA V so far.

And if you have played Last of Us before this game, the graphics are really going to disappoint you.

Not really but kinda spoiler for last of us and beginning of GTA V location.
The snow effects are so much better in Last of Us than GTA V

I am playing LoU right now (only a few hours in). And I still think just going by the videos I have seen so far GTA looks pretty great. But then again, like I said, you cant really compare LoU to GTA anymore than you would compare UC to GTA. Graphics in open world sandbox games will obviously not meet the standard of a super focused linear game.

And while Infamous 2 looked great its not a patch on GTA V. IMO anyway.

Kinda wish I hadnt highlighted that spoiler though (not your fault, just me being stupid), would have been a nice surprise in LoU. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom