• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing that GTA V does better then 99% of the other games this gen graphics wise is lightning.
After you have seen the first 15 minutes you will know what i mean.
Lightning, lightning, lightning, thats the future boys.

Yesterday i was only racing around the vast landscapes with a supercar for 2 hours straight.
Together with the pumping Beats and the amazing driving controls, it felt like I was actually driving through california.
I felt like I was on vacation.

The landscapes and urban areas are intense, so rich of detail, so vivid.

So lots of this then?

lightning10.jpg

(there's those inFamous 2 comparisons again)

thekenta

My PS3 impression after about 5 hours:

I absolutely hated GTA IV. Going back to it a few days ago, it still felt horrible to play on consoles. The gunplay is stiff und unresponsive and the framerate makes it almost unplayable for me.

GTA V on the other hand displays impressive gunplay right from the start. Dodging and shooting doesn't feel wooden anymore, it's an incredible improvement all around.
The framerate is good, it only dips noticeably in mid day downtown, other than that it's not nearly as bad as in IV. I've only explored Los Santos so far and the city seems lively and pretty big, draw distance and lightning in general is very impressive for current gen.
I also really like the cutscenes transitioning smoothly into the gameplay fractions now, the story in general seems to be very much improved. San Andreas humor is back too with some outlandish side missions and hilarious characters, a thing that's been missing for me in IV.

Personally I prefer the car handling physics in IV.
In V I feel like I'm always having control over my sports car even at ridiculously high speeds, so that's a negative aspect for me.

Can't wait to continue playing later tonight.

The lighting is very good, but the driving controls, not so much. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it

Yes, i had to get used to it too and sometimes i wish i had a steering wheel in my hands.
The driving is much more realistic, not very arcade-style.
As a german who knows how racing over the autobahn with a fast BMW feels, GTA V was the best game to replicate that feeling i experienced yet (playing in Ego-perspective during driving).

PureGone

Banned
How do they compare to IV ( driving controls)

Its been a long time since I played IV, but from what I remember the cars in felt heavy and had some cool physics with collisions, but the cars in GTA V feel like empty cardboard boxes on ice. But I just came from having played Sleeping Dogs and SRIV so it may be a matter of getting used it.

The one thing that GTA V does better then 99% of the other games this gen graphics wise is lightning.

Yesterday i was only racing around the vast landscapes with a supercar for 2 hours straight.
Together with the pumping Beats and the amazing driving controls, it felt like I was actually driving through california.

This! Just by watching a few streams I 100% agree with you. The use of colour is also something that is done brilliantly in GTA V....

It’s actually very similar to Red Dead Redemption. That game also has gorgeous lighting and is a big reason why it looked so good.

For the new page

Dutch press guys are going bonkers about guys who got their copy early getting console bans from Microsoft when going online.

Any truth to this or just scare tactics? And how is this justifiable for Microsoft to do? I get banning the guys who illegally download the game, but why for people who get it early in a legal way?

waypoetic

Banned

tumblr_ln7mw85HfE1qeglz0o1_500.gif

Fjordson

Keep the impressions coming fellas. Positive or negative. Seeing some honest reactions to the game will help me pass the time :lol

PureGone

Banned
Yes, i had to get used to it too and sometimes i wish i had a steering wheel in my hands.
The driving is much more realistic, not very arcade-style.
As a german who knows how racing over the autobahn with a fast BMW feels, GTA V was the best game to replicate that feeling i experienced yet (playing in Ego-perspective during driving).

Interesting, maybe that's the problem the other games I have played (Sleeping Dogs, SRIV) had a more arcadey driving and I got used to those?

PureGone

Banned
Finished breakfast and now back to playing GTA V, my goal is to beat it this weekend since I won't get much time to play on weekdays.

PureGone

Banned
First 5 minutes spoiler

Anyone else hate that old guys voice? Holy shit he's annoying, and he's one of the main characters so I have to deal with his voice again

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just a quick question : grabbed my copy right now, it's installing, are there any chance I could get banned from PSN with a legit copy ?

There is a chance that an airplane could drop it's waste from the restroom on your house. I think the chance of you getting banned from PSN is a bit higher. If worried why not just go offline while you play?

There are copies all over craigslist now. I'm an adult and I'm really showing my patience here. I'm going to stick it out and wait in here with the rest of you.

reminder

My special edition was dispatched today and will arrive on monday. Puppeteer will hold me over until then. Good times to be a gamer. :)

PureGone

Banned
So much talk about the car handling but none about the aircraft.

Most of us haven't gotten that far yet and I just restarted the game from the beginning.

Another things:
You can flick the r stick to automatically move between targets and its making to the game way too easy...

thekenta

Most of us haven't gotten that far yet and I just restarted the game from the beginning.

Another things:
You can flick the r stick to automatically move between targets and its making to the game way too easy...

Switch to manual targeting then?

EDIT: Or assisted aiming. I think the flicking isn't possible with assisted aiming.

Krusader

Neo Member
Spent most of my afternoon trying to find a store around here that had broken the street date to no avail. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait it out.

At least they haven't censored it this time round... Go Australia and our progressive classification board...

UrbanRats

My PS3 impression after about 5 hours:

I absolutely hated GTA IV. Going back to it a few days ago, it still felt horrible to play on consoles. The gunplay is stiff und unresponsive and the framerate makes it almost unplayable for me.

GTA V on the other hand displays impressive gunplay right from the start. Dodging and shooting doesn't feel wooden anymore, it's an incredible improvement all around.
The framerate is good, it only dips noticeably in mid day downtown, other than that it's not nearly as bad as in IV. I've only explored Los Santos so far and the city seems lively and pretty big, draw distance and lightning in general is very impressive for current gen.
I also really like the cutscenes transitioning smoothly into the gameplay fractions now, the story in general seems to be very much improved. San Andreas humor is back too with some outlandish side missions and hilarious characters, a thing that's been missing for me in IV.

Personally I prefer the car handling physics in IV.
In V I feel like I'm always having control over my sports car even at ridiculously high speeds, so that's a negative aspect for me.

Can't wait to continue playing later tonight.

Thanks for the impressions.

I'm a little worried about the driving physics, as i really liked IV's.
But that's one area where GTA never disappointed me, so i'm gonna stay positive.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
It's probably been posted a million times but it looks like we've got some kind folks giving impressions right here right now so here I go; How does walking around on foot feel compared to IV? Also, do you still have to mash A to run?

thekenta

It's probably been posted a million times but it looks like we've got some kind folks giving impressions right here right now so here I go; How does walking around on foot feel compared to IV? Also, do you still have to mash A to run?

Feels about the same. Still have to mash A to run, yes.

PureGone

Banned

Yeah you have to mash the a/x button to run, walking feels just like GTA IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom