• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirNinja

One thing I think is going to split everyone down the middle (and this is partly speculation based on what I've read and seen so far) is the driving. It seems to be intentionally a little unrealistic in order to make it easier to do really amazing and exciting manoeuvres while in chase.

Nice, sounds like they struck a good balance between the driving physics of the GTA3 trilogy and GTA4. Pretty much exactly what I wanted from the cars in this.

It looks like they made a similar compromise with the on-foot controls, which is also much appreciated.

Just thought I'd share some info for the people who pre-ordered through Amazon UK and had their orders sent today.

Their customer service just informed me that the games are being sent using Royal Mail Tracking 48, not 24, which is a 2-3 business day service. Which means it's probable they won't come on Monday and could possibly even come on Wednesday.

I'm rather pissed off at this news, considering I used Prime One Day delivery for this. Not to mention I'm moving to another country on Wednesday and kind of need my copy on Tuesday, which I was guaranteed to get.

On top of that I can't even track it because they gave me an incorrect tracking code and are unable to supply me with a correct one because it's a "known issue."

The amount of contradicting things I've heard from Amazon Customer Service today I'm not 100% what is happening. They advertised as them getting send first class so to change to to 48hr Tracked is a bit iffy.

Still, should be here by Tuesday so I'm happy enough.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just got done watching some very NON spoiler high quality videos of the 360 version, am not worried AT ALL now about its performance or looks. It looks and performs great. Rest easy 360 and multiplat owenrs going 360 for the controls and live, it performs and looks good.

GrimmUK

Banned
Anyone else preordered from GAME?
Despite the email saying they'd ship on the 16th I checked mine this morning and it said shipped, they said they were going to use first class delivery, does this mean I'll get it on monday? I'll cry if I do.

Just got done watching some very NON spoiler high quality videos of the 360 version, am not worried AT ALL now about its performance or looks. It looks and performs great. Rest easy 360 and multiplat owenrs going 360 for the controls and live, it performs and looks good.

Yep, I broke down and quickly scrolled through a page or two of the spoiler thread, just saw the screens and some gifs. It's much more stable than I thought it would be.

schwupp

eh - you must have been watching a different game then. look at any area with crowds of people and cars, fps drop so much.

Pagusas

Elden Member
eh - you must have been watching a different game then. look at any area with crowds of people and cars, fps drop so much.

who knows, but there is a ps3 / 360 comparison video out now too which shows both versions holding steady most of the time. Neither looks better or worse. Im sure in the coming week we will get detailed analysis and breakdowns, but for now watching these has made me feel much more comfy getting the 360 version.

Aranath

The Royal Mail website:

So unless you live in the middle of nowhere, it's likely Tuesday. But almost certainly not Monday :(

That's good to know. I am pretty positive it will be here on Tuesday, but if it isn't, they'll be getting their game back (considering I'll be in another country) and can give me some vouchers for not following through with the guaranteed release day delivery.

I really think they shouldn't have sent it with a service that could allow it to arrive late, given their guarantees. It should have been sent in whatever manner ensures 100% it'll be here Tuesday.

I know First Class has a 90-something percent probability of arriving next day, but I've had a few things through the years take the two days. I hope this episode won't be a case of something similar.

I really wish the game came out a little earlier, so I didn't have to worry about getting my copy before I move.

Camper182

who knows, but there is a ps3 / 360 comparison video out now too which shows both versions holding steady most of the time. Neither looks better or worse. Im sure in the coming week we will get detailed analysis and breakdowns, but for now watching these has made me feel much more comfy getting the 360 version.

link / pm to said video ?

tia

MCN

Banned
Spoke to a staff member at my local Grainger Games, and he said they have over 300 preorders for GTAV. Bearing in mind that it's only a medium-sized town.

For those that have been sent tracked by Amazon, is it only the email that has the tracking number? When I check my account page it doesn't mention it and just says 1st Class.

Edit: Nevermind, was looking at the wrong bit. Tracked it is!

That's nothing, the date on mine is March 16th.

I originally pre-ordered on Amazon on April 12th, 2012 only cancelled it last month when RDD became available for the SE which I ended up pre-ordering, on July 31st just in case, probably a good thing since the PS3 version sold out. Amazon transferred my free shipping from my original order from when I had Prime which lead me to deciding to stick with it. Only reason I decided to get the SE was because I had decided that it would be worth going to WalMart at midnight if I was just getting the regular version which would've cost an extra $10 (gas and sales tax) to do but I was still a little on the fence on if I'd stick with it or not. But then Amazon had a promotion going on that gave me a $5 promo credit making the final price difference only $5 between my two choices. I think the SE and the extra wait is worth it, just means I'll probably get a decent night's sleep.

Two days and about 19 hours from when I expect my copy to arrive. =D

Nice, sounds like they struck a good balance between the driving physics of the GTA3 trilogy and GTA4. Pretty much exactly what I wanted from the cars in this.

It looks like they made a similar compromise with the on-foot controls, which is also much appreciated.

That's also what I wanted and going by the stuff I've read from interviews and previews, what I've been expecting for a long time now. It seems like they fixed most if not all of my issues with IV's driving mechanics and physics.

i wonder what Trevor does on his day off?

Man, Trevor weirds me out. To the point that I probably won't feel comfortable playing with him. (from what I've seen)

Anyone know if Walmart is going to be selling at Monday midnight? Not sure if I should just order it from Amazon with one day shipping or go to Walmart on Monday...

Have a feeling I'll get shot if I go to Walmart.

MCN

Banned
Anyone know if Walmart is going to be selling at Monday midnight? Not sure if I should just order it from Amazon with one day shipping or go to Walmart on Monday...

Have a feeling I'll get shot if I go to Walmart.

I'd imagine so, as Asda, the UK version of Walmart is doing Midnight launch.

Jhoan

Can anyone see the new emblem in Gaf Street? It says I changed the emblem and when I go to create an emblem it shows up with the "start new" prompt. So it technically changed but it isn't showing itself.

I love Rockstar, probably my favorite developer, but Social Club makes me want to tear my hair out.
I can. It's definitely visible. Social Club is a bit cumbersome to use as it has a bit of a clunky UI that needs to be better designed.

Also, to reiterate for any late comers, the GTA V 360 Online thread is now up and running.

All this talk about GTA IV is about to make pop in Episodes From Liberty City to replay some Ballad of Gay Tony missions and refresh my memory. It's been over 2 years since I last popped it in. I think the last Achievement I got was Gobble Gobble and attempted to go for King of Cubo.

I honestly forgot what the driving physics were like but I know it was weighty and hard to manage. I would let go of the accelerator to brake. Rolled Over was a hard achievemnt to do.

I was indifferent to the driving otherwise IIRC. I think I prefer something in the middle between Arcade style (Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row The Third) and realistic. There's been a few open world games that I've played where the driving physics feel floaty ala Just Cause 2 which I didn't like all that much since all the vehicles felt more or less the same regardless of type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom