• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBobby

*rubs hands together*

birdman-o.gif

Call me a retard, but I refuse to buy this game unless I can turn off the cops and go cray cray on a city block. I've always wondered why games don't just have a mode where you can mess with the city and not have to worry about the repercussions.

Part of what the older games, for me, was fighting peds and sniping people like some sort of deranged gamer. GTAIV turned fun when I got the PC version and got to change a bunch of variables.

Jhoan

Did anyone have any luck for an early copy in NY?

I second this. Any Chinatown shops willing to dump it early?
To the both of you, this keeps getting asked every few pages. The answer is no. A GAF member called J&L and the big Chinatown game shop and they both said that they can't sell the game until midnight of Monday into Tuesday. No shops in NYC aren't selling it until midnight.

dandoolan

Ugh mine has been stuck on dispatching now for two days now. And they already charged me.

Does anybody know what happens if i request cancellation in the "your orders" page, will they reimburse me automatically?

Why would you cancel, surely they will dispatch it at some point early on Monday for a Tuesday delivery?

_woLf

Call me a retard, but I refuse to buy this game unless I can turn off the cops and go cray cray on a city block. I've always wondered why games don't just have a mode where you can mess with the city and not have to worry about the repercussions.

Part of what the older games, for me, was fighting peds and sniping people like some sort of deranged gamer. GTAIV turned fun when I got the PC version and got to change a bunch of variables.

Just use the inevitable cheat code like in every other GTA game?

Could take a few days to reimburse you.
Thanks, that's fine, as long as I'm guaranteed to get reimbursed eventually.

I guess I'll just wait and see how the situation evolves.

Why would you cancel, surely they will dispatch it at some point early on Monday for a Tuesday delivery?
I ordered the game from amazon.co.uk because I'm cheap as hell and I wanted to save 20€ but I'm located in Italy. I was hoping they would send out the game early so I could play it by the beginning of next week but if it's dispatched on Monday I'll certainly have to wait a few days more, and I don't know if I can take it:/ I'll probably end up keeping my order though, my future self will thank me when I'll be able to pay for the eventual DLC with the money I saved xD

The repercussions are what make the rampages feel substantial. If the game handed the player the most powerful weapons and vehicles right off the bat while demanding no effort, being bad would more quickly become less engaging.

Just use the inevitable cheat code like in every other GTA game?

GTA4 never had it. In fact, it was more of a 1. do something bad, 2. go to phone. 3. Reset wanted level, and repeat ad nausem.

The repercussions are what make the rampages feel substantial. If the game handed the player the most powerful weapons and vehicles right off the bat while demanding no effort, being bad would more quickly become less engaging.

That's honestly a matter of opinion, and besides, this isn't just about rampages. It's about decking someone without getting a cop up your ass, or blowing up a pile of cars without the cops wanting to throw their guns at you.

ViviOggi

Looks like Amazon UK's stock ran out at some point, the support pretty much told me that my game (not dispatched yet, ordered on the 10th) is highly unlikely to arrive before the 18th but assured me that I'd get it by the 19th. WELP

Thanks, that's fine, as long as I'm guaranteed to get reimbursed eventually.

I guess I'll just wait and see how the situation evolves.

I'm sure they will get it to you for Tuesday, if not you could always pick one up from a shop and return the late one. They are really good with returns as long as it's unopened.

Edit: Oh shit ^

DukeBobby

Looks like Amazon UK's stock ran out at some point, the support pretty much told me that my game (not dispatched yet, ordered on the 10th) is highly unlikely to arrive before the 18th but assured me that I'd get it by the 19th. WELP

Please tell me this is a joke.

What the fuck, Amazon?

Rolfgang

Patience, young padawan. And buttloads of willpower!

Wilester

I ordered on the 10th and had mine dispatched today. You're really unlucky.

Heimbeck

Banned

That sucks.

What shipping did you choose?

They make it seem like they think they're too good for E3 and Gamescom and such.

I can't fault Rockstar at all for that. Prepping builds for public E3 viewing can be a huge hassle depending on what state your game happens to be in when the show rolls around, nevermind the derailment of having staff gone for a week to demo and talk to the press. It's even worse if you are trying to come up with a demo the attendees will be allowed to play themselves. It can easily suck a month or two of precious development time from a project, and drain budget. For projects like GTA, which certainly don't need E3 to be noticed, there isn't a huge upside to attending.

I know I wished all the projects I've worked on would have skipped E3. Well, save one, since it ended up being the only time anyone would get to see the game.

What console you getting it for? Some people on the Amazon forum saying they were told it could be October before the manage to fulfil some orders. While I doubt it will be that long, they do seem to be short on stock. 360 especially.

Kibbles

Is Amazon shipping tonight? Since it's 2 day shipping to get on release date I'd assume so but no update to my order at all yet

ViviOggi

That sucks.

What shipping did you choose?

Standard, honestly I wasn't expecting to get it before or even on release day until I've read from people who had gotten theirs from Ama UK yesterday already. The real bummer is that it'll more likely be the 19th instead of the 18th.

What console you getting it for? Some people on the Amazon forum saying they were told it could be October before the manage to fulfil some orders. While I doubt it will be that long, they do seem to be short on stock. 360 especially.

PS3. Well if that turned out to be true I should consider myself lucky (and if I was one of those guys I'd be cancelling that order asap).

Judging by the pre-order numbers of some Gamestop stores I imagine Amazon has A LOT of pre-orders too.

If this game doesn't break the day one sales record set by BO2 (7.5M) I'll be shocked.

Is Amazon shipping tonight? Since it's 2 day shipping to get on release date I'd assume so but no update to my order at all yet

If you're in the U.S. I'd guess they're going to start shipping them out late, late Sunday or Monday. I think ever pre-order I've gotten from Amazon with RDD has shipped on Monday via one day/over night shipping.

Heimbeck

Banned
Standard, honestly I wasn't expecting to get it before or even on release day until I've read from people who had gotten theirs from Ama UK yesterday already. The real bummer is that it'll more likely be the 19th instead of the 18th.

Yeah, I guess everyone who picks first class is given priority.

Judging by the pre-order numbers of some Gamestop stores I imagine Amazon has A LOT of pre-orders too.

If this game doesn't break the day one sales record set by BO2 (7.5M) I'll be shocked.

I asked my Gamestop how many preorders they had and they said 140, which seemed like quite a lot since it's not the biggest Gamestop around.

Heimbeck

Banned
Went to amazon support and they need to contact the warehouse for when my game will dispatch...

I didn't really care that much but they just said that's what they were doing full stop.

Amazon support is actually really good.

doby

Has anyone preordered from tesco direct?

I preordered back in January and for some reason on the order page it says it was dispatched on the 9th march (a saturday) for delivery on the 12th (a tuesday) which is obviously an error and presumably the original spring release date.

So now i don't even know when its getting dispatched :/ really hope it got dispatched today like it said it would in the equivalent week back in march.

GrayGrey

Neo Member
To the both of you, this keeps getting asked every few pages. The answer is no. A GAF member called J&L and the big Chinatown game shop and they both said that they can't sell the game until midnight of Monday into Tuesday. No shops in NYC aren't selling it until midnight.

Woops. Thanks for the heads up. I suppose I'll pick it up at PC Richard or some other come release date.

Has anyone preordered from tesco direct?

I preordered back in January and for some reason on the order page it says it was dispatched on the 9th march (a saturday) for delivery on the 12th (a tuesday) which is obviously an error and presumably the original spring release date.

So now i don't even know when its getting dispatched :/ really hope it got dispatched today like it said it would in the equivalent week back in march.

I believe Tesco are sending them all out on Monday 1st Class.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if this has been posted before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2Dh817ZyM

PS: It's not gameplay or something like that
Why's the kid crying? I don't get it.

Why would you buy your 11 year old a M rated game?
It's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're concerned about what they're seeing / experiencing, guide them through it. I don't blame parents for forbidding their kids from M rated games, but it's definitely not the only way to go.

I asked my Gamestop how many preorders they had and they said 140, which seemed like quite a lot since it's not the biggest Gamestop around.

I asked someone I know who works at a Gamestop in the Albany, NY area how many pre-orders his store got and he told me 1,100 with 1,200 copies shipped in total. Granted that's a decently populated area but that still seems like a lot to me, plus there's several other Gamestops around there.

It looks like some stores might actually sell out.

waypoetic

Banned
I ordered TLOU via the internet and checked the box for home delivery and was expecting it to arrive on launch day. It arrived two days after the release of TLOU. Safe to say that i'm never ever ever going to order a game like that again!

I'm either going to the midnight launch to pick up my pre-order OR i'm picking up the game first thing in the morning when they open.

That's honestly a matter of opinion, and besides, this isn't just about rampages. It's about decking someone without getting a cop up your ass, or blowing up a pile of cars without the cops wanting to throw their guns at you.

It's not purely a matter of opinion if we're talking about relativism. Having the game world respond to player action is more engaging than getting no response, even if that's not what you care about. Police/general violent responses forcing the player to react accordingly will make player choice seem more substantial than if the player didn't have to consider what actions they make at a given moment. Whether it feels more substantial might not matter to you though.

If I said it's "better" than no police response, then that's a matter of opinion. And you could turn off police in IV's free roam, so the same will likely be able to be done here. Considering the importance R*'s placed on the online mode, just about everything you ca do in single player can be done in multi, so that's good for you.

Gaz_RB

Nice emergency landing.

You in the right thread, amigo? ;)

I can't fault Rockstar at all for that. Prepping builds for public E3 viewing can be a huge hassle depending on what state your game happens to be in when the show rolls around, nevermind the derailment of having staff gone for a week to demo and talk to the press. It's even worse if you are trying to come up with a demo the attendees will be allowed to play themselves. It can easily suck a month or two of precious development time from a project, and drain budget. For projects like GTA, which certainly don't need E3 to be noticed, there isn't a huge upside to attending.

I know I wished all the projects I've worked on would have skipped E3. Well, save one, since it ended up being the only time anyone would get to see the game.

This actually a really interesting perspective that I forget sometimes. Thanks for the post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom