• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayGrey

Neo Member
You can't even compare GTA V to GTA 1.

There isn't fully-rendered 3D nudity in GTA, there's barely any swearing (well, there's barely any voice acting, mostly just text), the graphics are... top-down 2D sprites. Hardly a realistic depiction of violence in the original game. C'mon.

Which begs the question; is the "But I played [insert ultra-violent title] when I was 10 and I'm fine argument" still hold up? Games have become much more visceral then their 64 bit counterparts.

Loakum

Banned
I was playing GTA 3 when I was like 9.

Thank god for cool parents.

I'd say kids that arent allowed to watch or play inappropriate things turn out much worse than kids that do.

agreed! a child too guarded from the real world, end up not being able to handle it.

I first played gta games when I was waaaaay under 18, and I'm as nerdy as they come. our media always look to blame video games for everything.

MCN

Banned
Which begs the question; is the "But I played [insert ultra-violent title] when I was 10 and I'm fine argument" still hold up? Games have become much more visceral then their 64 bit counterparts.

When it comes to visceral violence, games don't hold a candle to your average summer blockbuster film, yet nobody bats an eyelid at kids seeing those.

Norns

When it comes to visceral violence, games don't hold a candle to your average summer blockbuster film, yet nobody bats an eyelid at kids seeing those.

I wouldn't take an 11 year old to the movie equivalent of GTA V.

There's a pretty large divide between something like that, and say Iron Man 3.

KAP151

An 11 year old shouldnt be anywhere near this game.

You simply can not compare to 'mature' games most of us grew up on.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wished Amazon would ship my copy by now, preordered this game back on August 20th!
Every time I have had release date delivery it ships on Monday. Amazon is very careful to prevent people getting it a day early.

Rolfgang

Back then it was really easy separating games with the truth. Real life wasn't top-down...

MCN

Banned
I wouldn't take an 11 year old to the movie equivalent of GTA V.

There's a pretty large divide between something like that, and say Iron Man 3.

I watched Robocop (as did so many kids) when I was 8. I highly doubt anything in GTA V comes even close to the levels of gore and violence in that film.

Norns

I watched Robocop (as did so many kids) when I was 8. I highly doubt anything in GTA V comes even close to the levels of gore and violence in that film.

Cool, we get it. Hookers, blow, and gore are good for 8 year olds. You win bud, you changed my mind.

noobasuar

Banned
People need to stop acting like kids are fucking morons. Yeah some of them are but I'd say most of them are pretty damn smart and don't need to be sheltered from the real world.

GrayGrey

Neo Member
This is how you know that GTAV gets nothing but a ten from IGN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgISbQD4nSA

300% more playable then Aliens: Colonial Marines.

camron.gif

solarus

Lol age ratings, I bet all of you were playing violent games when you were kids. I played resident evil 4 and san andreas when i was 10 (19 now) I mean come on you were not going to wait another 8 years or so to play the game you want and it did not turn me into some mass murderer.

Linius

People need to stop acting like kids are fucking morons. Yeah some of them are but I'd say most of them are pretty damn smart and don't need to be sheltered from the real world.

Oh the real world is a world in which you become some insane criminal and murder people for fun? Sorry mate, but I don't think there are good arguments in favour of letting 11-year olds play a game like GTA V. It has nothing to do with the real world.

Heimbeck

Banned

I feel like the box says the age and that is the only acceptable age, obviously kids are going to see GTA V somehow or another through the internet or whatever but I don't think the parents should allow it until they are of the right age.

Rolfgang

My parents bought me GTA 2 when I was about seven years old. They thought it was a race game, because... well, it had a car on the box. And race I did!

On top of pedestrians.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I honestly wouldn't let my a 10 year old play this game. However, parents have the right raise their kids how they see fit. I'm not going to judge them for that.

Rolfgang

Any wagers on Metacritic scores?

I'm calling 97 by the time all of the reviews have finished rolling out.

Don't forget the 1 by a site who thinks they can single handedly kill a hype and try to gain buttloads of views with it. Which will probably succeed and then no one takes them seriously anymore. As if they already did.

Loakum

Banned
Oh the real world is a world in which you become some insane criminal and murder people for fun? Sorry mate, but I don't think there are good arguments in favour of letting 11-year olds play a game like GTA V. It has nothing to do with the real world.

I don't see any valid arguments why a 11 year old shouldn't play a game like gtav.

StuBurns

Banned
I feel like the box says the age and that is the only acceptable age
Which age exactly? M-Rated, which is 17, or 18 as it is in the UK? Are American children a year more advanced than English kids?

The ratings are a very loose suggestion, and nothing more. If a parent believes their child is mature enough to play GTA5, they shouldn't be shat on for that decision.

RoKKeR

Don't forget the 1 by a site who thinks they can single handedly kill a hype and try to gain buttloads of views with it. Which will probably succeed and then no one takes them seriously anymore. As if they already did.

There is also bound to be a heavily weighted sight that will go 8 or something.

Heimbeck

Banned
Which age exactly? M-Rated, which is 17, or 18 as it is in the UK? Are American children a year more advanced than English kids?

The ratings are a very loose suggestion, and nothing more. If a parent believes their child is mature enough to play GTA5, they shouldn't be shat on for that decision.

No of course not, but it is only a year and it won't hurt the kid to wait a year.
If parents want to let their 11 year old or 15 year old or whatever play M games I'm ok with that but they shouldn't really, it's got the number on the box and I think it should be stuck too.

Rolfgang

Also, it wouldn't surprise me when some sites 'break' their scores, as in a 11/10, 6/5 etc. And at one point they will have to eventually, since these days a game is considered 'not worth playing' when it scores an 8.5 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom