• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

I don't see any valid arguments why a 11 year old shouldn't play a game like gtav.

I mainly responded to the fact he said you shouldn't shield kids from the real world. GTA V has nothing to do with the real world. In the real world we won't grow up to be a psychopath.

And all the adult stuff going on in GTA V are plenty reasons not to allow a little kid to play a game like this. You know kids will play if they get the chance anyways, but imo it doesn't really show good parenting if you just go around and allow your kids to play a game like this.

noobasuar

Banned
Oh the real world is a world in which you become some insane criminal and murder people for fun? Sorry mate, but I don't think there are good arguments in favour of letting 11-year olds play a game like GTA V. It has nothing to do with the real world.

Murdering people is fun, like a'lot of fun in a videogame. I trust kids are able to make the distinction between real life and videogames. Sorry if you don't.

MCN

Banned
I mainly responded to the fact he said you shouldn't shield kids from the real world. GTA V has nothing to do with the real world. In the real world we won't grow up to be a psychopath.

And all the adult stuff going on in GTA V are plenty reasons not to allow a little kid to play a game like this. You know kids will play if they get the chance anyways, but imo it doesn't really show good parenting if you just go around and allow your kids to play a game like this.

Isn't it better to introduce said child to these things in a controlled environment where you can provide guidance and context, rather than them going behind your back and experiencing these things "raw"?

An 11 year old shouldnt be anywhere near this game.

You simply can not compare to 'mature' games most of us grew up on.

this.

EmptySpace was playing spear of destiny (wolfenstein prequel) when he was about 4, but he understood it was all fake because of how cartoony it looked. same with the likes of mortal kombat, etc. all the violent games back then were made of sprite and all looked fake. even counter-strike looked noticeably fake.

today though, games look so photorealistic with very convincing dialogue and sound effects.

Norns

Isn't it better to introduce said child to these things in a controlled environment where you can provide guidance and context, rather than them going behind your back and experiencing these things "raw"?

Yeah, I need to make sure my 8 year old doesn't light a meth lab on fire, then go play with a strippers tits without my supervision.

XAL

So can someone help me make a decision?

I'm a PC gamer that has a PS3slim160gb and a 360slim250gb (I only have 1 game left for my 360 which is Halo 4, which I don't plan on playing anymore).

I am going to buy a PS4 and skip the XBO.

Basically I am going to sell one off and keep the other as my dedicated GTAV machine until it comes out for PC.

I think at gamestop I can get 100 for my PS3 and 130 for my xbox.

Sell the 360 because both GTAV versions are identical right?

Rolfgang

When I have children (alright, let's make it 'if') I'll probably game along side with them, just to explain stuff so that they don't go wild with it. And that the boobs of strippers are just like balloons filled with plastic. Although I wouldn't expose them to that on the age of 11. More like when they are much more responsible. So when they reach the age of 12.

MCN

Banned
Yeah, I need to make sure my 8 year old doesn't light a meth lab on fire, then go play with a strippers tits without my supervision.

And I trust you never touched or watched anything even remotely violent until you turned 18? Give me a fucking break.

Rolfgang

Bahaha. This is one of my most hyped games ever, and even I lost even more respect for IGN after watching that (as if that were even possible). That is an insane level of groin-groveling from IGN, the likes of which I've never quite seen from a gaming site before. Man.

It just needs a bit more Mountain Dew and Doritos...

hlhbk

So can someone help me make a decision?

I'm a PC gamer that has a PS3slim160gb and a 360slim250gb (I only have 1 game left for my 360 which is Halo 4, which I don't plan on playing anymore).

I am going to buy a PS4 and skip the XBO.

Basically I am going to sell one off and keep the other as my dedicated GTAV machine until it comes out for PC.

I think at gamestop I can get 100 for my PS3 and 130 for my xbox.

Sell the 360 because both GTAV versions are identical right?

Not what I am hearing. Several people have said performance is worse on PS3.

Linius

From a respectable age I'd say yes indeed. But to me that's not a eleven. Of course nobody has to agree with my point, but that's how I see it.

And prohibiting kids from stuff is something that goes along with bringing up kids. New things will come along the line. And kids will always try to do stuff that they aren't allowed to do. If you tell them not to cross the street because it's dangerous they'll end up doing precisely that.

StuBurns

Banned
No of course not, but it is only a year and it won't hurt the kid to wait a year.
If parents want to let their 11 year old or 15 year old or whatever play M games I'm ok with that but they shouldn't really, it's got the number on the box and I think it should be stuck too.
Won't hurt to wait a year? There are people in this thread that are sickened with fear of having to wait an additional day for the game.

At sixteen, you can join the army in this country, but two more years before you're mature enough to see polygonal sex?

MormaPope

Banned
Oh the real world is a world in which you become some insane criminal and murder people for fun? Sorry mate, but I don't think there are good arguments in favour of letting 11-year olds play a game like GTA V. It has nothing to do with the real world.

I honestly don't see an issue with 11 year olds playing M rated games, watching R rated movies. It would be hypocritical on my part, because I played the PS2 GTA's as a young teen.

Heimbeck

Banned
Won't hurt to wait a year? There are people in this thread that are sickened with fear of having to wait an additional day for the game.

At sixteen, you can join the army in this country, but two more years before you're mature enough to see polygonal sex?

I just think you should be legal age to do something, and I think that should apply to games, movies etc.

Gaz_RB

Bahaha. This is one of my most hyped games ever, and even I lost even more respect for IGN after watching that (as if that were even possible). That is an insane level of groin-groveling from IGN, the likes of which I've never quite seen from a gaming site before. Man.

Agreed, but i think the guy was just having some fun.

Once I stopped thinking of gaming sites as actual journalism, my tolerance for this kinda of thing went way up.

Rolfgang

I still can't believe and comprehend you can buy guns before you can buy liquor in the States...

Rolfgang

Once I stopped thinking of gaming sites as actual journalism, my tolerance for this kinda of thing went way up.

Well, you've got a few sites that are actually journalism. And then you've got sites like IGN who don't even try to pretend.

Heimbeck

Banned

I actually used to liek IGN maybe 1 or 2 years ago, but now almost all their videos are shit, their articles are even worse.

I like some of their videos but that's it, I don't know if they got worse or what but I thought they were good not that long ago.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I figure you guys would know, I'm going in from black-out (only seen the first gameplay trailer) and I'd like to know if people now think that R*'s released footage was indeed from current-gen consoles (framerate was suspiciously great for a R* game) like advertised. Can I keep my preorder, meaning: how does the framerate hold up on PS3? Don't wanna spoiler shit for myself while looking for the answer and I disabled img and gifs on mobile GAF with this purpose in mind, so thanks a bunch for answering.

GTA IV framerate: not acceptable
RDR PS3: same as above
RDR 360: okay-ish, I'd probably keep my preorder
rock solid 30fps: would fucking love that and I wouldn't wait for the PC version (would double dip later).

Help me GAF-Kenobi, you're my only hope :)

Demetrius

Neo Member
Any wagers on Metacritic scores?

I'm calling 97 by the time all of the reviews have finished rolling out.

Ditto on the score.

I wonder if it will get labeled as an overrated game like GTA IV, which I really didn't have any problem with except with the awful shooting mechanics.

Linius

I can't believe you can drive a 2000 pound car before you can drink and I live in the states.

At least over here we get to drink first so we can get drunk when we learn to drive later :p

But for real, 21 to drink seems like an impossible age for me. Over here we can drink at the age of 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom