• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlhbk

I hate gta4. I hate rdr. Never liked either of them. And I played like 300 hours between 3 gta's old gen.

I think that rockstar lost it.

Thought.

I played gta5 for 6 hours straight and I fucking lost track of time.

It's that good.

We will see. I loved GTA 3, loved GTA VC, HATED GTA SA, loved GTA IV, and loved RDR. Without spoiling anything how is the story in this one? I loved the stories in GTA IV and RDR.

so how many of you guys will pic GTA 5 as your GOTG

I dunno, RDR and TLoU are neck and neck for my favorite games ever. GTA5 will be up there I'm sure, but I doubt I'll love it as much as RDR. I'm a huge western fan, and that game hit every note perfectly for me. I adore that game.

Scary to think what a GTA 6 or spin off will be like on next gen, from what I have seen on streams it looks like this will be a really good send off to current gen

Gaz_RB

Really?

This thread was really slow for a day or two, but it seems to have picked up speed again. I guess people are getting bored of watching streams.
I know I did. It was cool for a while but I feel like GTA is one of those games where actually playing is way more fun than watching haha

So I checked my local Craigslist to see if anyone is selling an early copy and yeah... there's a guy who apparently has a bunch of copies and is trying to offload them for $160. If money was no object, I would probably bite.

if money was no object apparently you would probably end up getting raped in an alley

noobasuar

Banned
I hate gta4. I hate rdr. Never liked either of them. And I played like 300 hours between 3 gta's old gen.

I think that rockstar lost it.

Thought.

I played gta5 for 6 hours straight and I fucking lost track of time.

It's that good.

This is fucking great to hear. I also hate IV and *mostly* disliked RDR. I seriously am so excited.

Uiki

Oh man, I love hearing this from somebody who disliked IV and Red Dead. I loved those games, so this inspires great confidence. As if I needed any more.

GTA 4 (at least for me) was missing that sense of wonder. The joy of discover.

Well..the first time I drove past Vinewood I was blown away like when you first realize that you can go up that mountain, in SA.

And it's not the sheer size of the map. It's the little things. Everything is so full of little details that the game makes you feel small in comparison of the game world.. like anything I played so far.

Cheddahz

Banned
Really?

This thread was really slow for a day or two, but it seems to have picked up speed again. I guess people are getting bored of watching streams.

This is really the first day I have had time to talk to people about the game, so maybe it is going slower for me...

jwtsonga

Yup. It was an exclusive that eventually changed to multi-plat.

Point is, all R* developed open world games released for the consoles have performed/looked better on the 360. That said, from what I've seen, it seems that the differences this time are very very negligible. It really seems like there is a lot parity between the two and that it's going to great regardless of which platform you play it on.

Totally agree with this. Buy whichever version your friends are getting (or base your decision on controller preference). Technically there is little difference.

hlhbk

He describes it a little weird, but bad things can happen when you walk into a deal carrying 160 dollars in cash. These kind of scams do happen sadly.

Meet in a very public place with a lot of people around and generally that doesn't happen.

Uiki

We will see. I loved GTA 3, loved GTA VC, HATED GTA SA, loved GTA IV, and loved RDR. Without spoiling anything how is the story in this one? I loved the stories in GTA IV and RDR.

Well. I couldn't care less about Niko. Never connected with the guy.

But michael... he's not the ordinary main character of a videogame. I can exactly tell you why but it's a combination of style, age, life, dialogues... I just love him.

I actually want to play just to see the story unfold.

sl4yor

Neo Member
I heard people talking about suggested movies, I'm not sure if you guys agree with me, but some other movies that might get you in the mood for GTAV would be Beverly Hills cop one and two. Just my two cents.

Linius

Meet in a very public place with a lot of people around and generally that doesn't happen.

Well the things is you won't even know if the game is in the box. Could very well be somy copy which you can't really check out on the street. Wasn't talking about violence or anything, but just a scam :p

antitrop

But michael... he's not the ordinary main character of a videogame. I can exactly tell you why but it's a combination of style, age, life, dialogues... I just love him.

I feel you, brother. Michael looks to be the best GTA character, yet.

giphy.gif

hlhbk

That makes me excited. I felt that the story certainly wasn't the focus in SA and felt there were to many useless mechanics added (fitness anyone?). I felt they focused on just making a huge game to fuck around in. To me a game has gotta at least have an interesting story for me to keep going.

I am really glad to hear the story is gripping people.

Gaz_RB

I heard people talking about suggested movies, I'm not sure if you guys agree with me, but some other movies that might get you in the mood for GTAV would be Beverly Hills cop one and two. Just my two cents.

Fuck yeah, junior!

Love those movies. Just watched Bad Boys 1 and 2 as well. Getting in the mood!

Holy shit, Tomorrow I will be saying that I am getting GTA V tomorrow!

Holy shit

Jim Sterling's review of GTAIV has the lowest score for the game on metacritic,
but was also the closest to the current user score.

The review was late so Destructoid could review the game properly without Rockstar's conditions and seemed to be the most accurate and least hype affected of all the reviews I read.

I am really looking forward to reading the reviews for GTAV in a peculiar way.

Fjordson

Haha, definitely. It's a different set up (other side of the law obviously) but after watching some of the story on a stream yesterday I agree. Some of the crazier moments I saw remind me of 80's action movies. Game also seems a lot lighter in tone. Not too goofy, but there's some funny stuff in there.

hlhbk

So the game isn't very serious?

GTA 4 (at least for me) was missing that sense of wonder. The joy of discover.

Well..the first time I drove past Vinewood I was blown away like when you first realize that you can go up that mountain, in SA.

And it's not the sheer size of the map. It's the little things. Everything is so full of little details that the game makes you feel small in comparison of the game world.. like anything I played so far.
Good stuff. And since the mechanics (walking, running, shooting, melee, etc.) all seem to have been vastly improved over IV, actually exploring the world will be better than any heist mission Rockstar can cook up.

But I'm sure the heist missions will still be fantastic.

I hope some of the reviews mention how long the game is. GTA IV had around 90, but obviously was way too bloated. Still, I wouldn't mind GTA V having as many missions if they are more varied and engaging. Though 70 or so seems like it would probably be the sweet spot for story missions, plus all of the other side stuff.

KB24

Hey GAF, any major performance differences in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions? I haven't been keeping up with the game, and my Xbox may finally take the dive soon. May get the 360 fixed is the PS3 version is 'inferior'.

Linius

The Last of Us is amazing (still need to finish it) but I can't really compare it to GTA V. These games are so far apart from each other. I also will never be able to pick one game of the generation. Maybe a selection of games that stood out for me.

Gaz_RB

Hey GAF, any major performance differences in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions? I haven't been keeping up with the game, and my Xbox may finally take the dive soon. May get the 360 fixed is the PS3 version is 'inferior'.

Nope, you're good

jwtsonga

Difficult to tell apart; they are basically the same. Whatever platform you choose, the experience will be great.

There is absolutely nothing indicating a major performance difference. It'll look and perform great whatever you buy it for.

antitrop

The Last of Us is amazing (still need to finish it) but I can't really compare it to GTA V. These games are so far apart from each other. I also will never be able to pick one game of the generation. Maybe a selection of games that stood out for me.
1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Dark Souls
4. Bioshock Infinite
5. Call of Duty 4

GTA V probably coming in at #1 or #2.

Linius

1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Dark Souls
4. Bioshock Infinite
5. Call of Duty 4

GTA V probably coming in at #1 or #2.

RDR, GTA V and The Last of Us will be in mine as well. And probably Arkham City. Dunno about a fifth spot. Still need to play a game like Bioshock: Infinite for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom