• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's absurd to think that The Last of Us is going to have serious competition for GoTY for me. And that's saying nothing of the new Pokemon and Arkham game (though I'm sure both of those will end up a tier lower than TLoU and GTA V)

Still, what an excellent year to be a gamer

Courage

jdFsTSOuHZuHy.jpg

The Last of Us is amazing (still need to finish it) but I can't really compare it to GTA V. These games are so far apart from each other. I also will never be able to pick one game of the generation. Maybe a selection of games that stood out for me.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. The Last of Us

4-10 varies on how i'm feeling. I have a feeling that V may be able to steal a top 3 spot...though I don't think it will beat ME2 for me.

Finally got accepted after almost a month!
3AQmK.gif
Can't wait to have discussions with fellow gaffers about the greatness of GTA V!

Anyways, I gave in and pre-ordered my copy of V two days ago. Got the dope pre-order bonus poster as well.

830ace8c1c1111e385f622000a1f8e95_7.jpg

fb4f4dba1c1011e3b0f722000a9f18db_7.jpg

GTA V for GOTG!

Fjordson

Good stuff. And since the mechanics (walking, running, shooting, melee, etc.) all seem to have been vastly improved over IV, actually exploring the world will be better than any heist mission Rockstar can cook up.

But I'm sure the heist missions will still be fantastic.

I hope some of the reviews mention how long the game is. GTA IV had around 90, but obviously was way too bloated. Still, I wouldn't mind GTA V having as many missions if they are more varied and engaging. Though 70 or so seems like it would probably be the sweet spot for story missions, plus all of the other side stuff.
Number of missions spoiler (just in case :lol)
there's 70-something main story missions. Maybe 75, can't remember exactly. But that number doesn't include side missions or the random encounters when you're free roaming.

Dug

Banned
Finally got accepted after almost a month!
3AQmK.gif
Can't wait to have discussions with fellow gaffers about the greatness of GTA V!

Anyways, I gave in and pre-ordered my copy of V two days ago. Got the dope pre-order bonus poster as well.

GTA V for GOTG!
Yup, got that poster for pre-ordering at GameStop. Decided to put up the side that has the cover art. Cool of R*/GameStop to run that promotion.

CF22

Yeah, it's absurd to think that The Last of Us is going to have serious competition for GoTY for me. And that's saying nothing of the new Pokemon and Arkham game (though I'm sure both of those will end up a tier lower than TLoU and GTA V)

Still, what an excellent year to be a gamer

I bought The Last of Us to hold me over until now, I went in knowing nothing about the game except it being a Naughty Dog title. My first and only play through was amazing and the story is simply awesome. But, for me at least it was a one time experience, I rarely play online so there was really no replay value. GTA V seems to be another hit and if the story and acting are nearly as good as TLoU it deserves being GoTY. But then people love Animal Crossing so that could take it as well.

d31m0s

I hate gta4. I hate rdr. Never liked either of them. And I played like 300 hours between 3 gta's old gen.

I think that rockstar lost it.

Thought.

I played gta5 for 6 hours straight and I fucking lost track of time.

It's that good.

This makes me happy as someone who thought gta IV was good and RDR was the GOTY this makes me more hyped

Popparoks

My friend works as an Assistant Manager at GS and he asked me if i wanted a poster ( I didn't pre order) and he gave it to me. Cool dude and It looks great, who does the art?

I bought The Last of Us to hold me over until now, I went in knowing nothing about the game except it being a Naughty Dog title. My first and only play through was amazing and the story is simply awesome. But, for me at least it was a one time experience, I rarely play online so there was really no replay value. GTA V seems to be another hit and if the story and acting are nearly as good as TLoU it deserves being GoTY. But then people love Animal Crossing so that could take it as well.
I doubt the story in V will reach anywhere near the level of emotion that TLoU achieves, but yeah, it will certainly outclass the game in terms of replayability and online. Probably in terms of fun factor too. I was stressed as hell every time I booted up TLoU, and I highly doubt I'll feel the same sense of dread with V :p

Yoday

I can't wait to start this beast up on Tuesday. I took Tuesday off, so I am going to hit up the midnight release at Walmart. I didn't pre order, but there will be more than enough copies. GTA IV was such a huge let down, so I am really excited to play a fun GTA again. I've been playing through IV again (never finished it), and I am just scratching my head at some of the gameplay design choices. The handling of both the cars and Nico himself are just plain bad, and really destroy the enjoyment of the game, it is quite sad.

I can't wait to start this beast up on Tuesday. I took Tuesday off, so I am going to hit up the midnight release at Walmart. I didn't pre order, but there will be more than enough copies. GTA IV was such a huge let down, so I am really excited to play a fun GTA again. I've been playing through IV again (never finished it), and I am just scratching my head at some of the gameplay design choices. The handling of both the cars and Nico himself are just plain bad, and really destroy the enjoyment of the game, it is quite sad.
Really? I just finished up a replay of IV myself. The driving and Niko as a character were my two favorite aspects. There is a lot of dat ludonarrative dissonance with Niko trying to escape his violent past and be a sympathetic character, but that happens in so many games that I was able to look past it. The voice acting was great, and Mr. Bellic was just a professional badass throughout most of the tale.

MormaPope

Banned
I doubt the story in V will reach anywhere near the level of emotion that TLoU achieves, but yeah, it will certainly outclass the game in terms of replayability and online. Probably in terms of fun factor too. I was stressed as hell every time I booted up TLoU, and I highly doubt I'll feel the same sense of dread with V :p

I can see the story taking dark turns in GTA V. When there's nothing left to steal, and the people and groups that were robbed come knocking, things will get ugly.

kitzkozan

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. The Last of Us

4-10 varies on how i'm feeling. I have a feeling that V may be able to steal a top 3 spot...though I don't think it will beat ME2 for me.

I think there will be around ~10 games that will be mentioned as games of the generation for numerous reasons (quality, impact on the industry, redefining a genre, etc).

I see in no particular order:

Super Mario Galaxy
The Last of Us
Uncharted 2 (for better or worse)
Mass Effect 1 or 2 (there's always a split and reason to prefer one over the other)
Dark Souls
GTA V
Minecraft (talk about a phenomenon as this game has legendary legs)
WoW (will it be considered part of this gen?)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Bioshock or Bioshock Infinite
Batman Arkham Asylum or City
Street Fighter IV (or Super or AE?)
Red Dead Redemption
The Elder's Scroll V: Skyrim

I think it will since we have 3 characters working together. There's bound to be some conflicts between the 3 of them, be it physically or emotionally. I never played TLoU though since I don't have a PS3, but it may be close.

I can see the story taking dark turns in GTA V. When there's nothing left to steal, and the people and groups that were robbed come knocking, things will get ugly.
Sure, but it's hard to beat the heartstring tug that forming a father-daughter bond in a horrific post-apocalyptic America created. Hell, I bet the first 15 minutes of TLoU
will be better and more emotionally resonant than anything in V.

Though that's hardly a fair comparison, since TLoU almost cheated in order to elicit those feels.

SirNinja

Wait...so PSN isn't actually doing a preload?

Well, looks like I'm in for a fun-filled Tuesday midnight trying until 6-7 AM to get the store to load and the download to start.

I'm afraid any money I wager will just be stolen back. GTA Online is going to be dirty.

Watch yo backs while online.

I'll be switching to passive mode immediately after each mission until I get to an ATM for this very reason lol. And because I know my friend will do that just to be an ass and it will bug the shit out of him if I keep him from doing it every single time.

Derrick01

Banned
So yeah I was going to watch Heat tonight but holy shit it's 3 hours long :(

Maybe tomorrow....before football.

so how many of you guys will pic GTA 5 as your GOTG

I'm not willing to go that far yet. It has a good chance of being my game of the year since I only have 2 games on my list currently (last of us and euro truck sim 2) and that's all I'm willing to say before I even play it.

Wait...so PSN isn't actually doing a preload?

Well, looks like I'm in for a fun-filled Tuesday midnight trying until 6-7 AM to get the store to load and the download to start.

Thankfully I'm at school until 5 on Tuesday, so I won't be staring at the download all day.

Although if for some reason I start it at midnight and it isn't done downloading by 5 on Tuesday... heads will roll.

wizzbang

Banned
I hope this has an option to install the _ENTIRE_ game to the HDD, I put an SSD in my PS3 for a reason. GTA4 (and DLC) loads quite a portion to the HDD, but when it's loading a mission you can see the HDD light on as well as the optical chirping away with seeks :(

One thing I can't wait for in next gen, is totally loaded to local disk games - even though I hope to buy via retail (digital downloaded games are a fucking ripoff in Australia, thank fuck for region free optical Sony ♥)

Gaz_RB

Thankfully I'm at school until 5 on Tuesday, so I won't be staring at the download all day.

Although if for some reason I start it at midnight and it isn't done downloading by 5 on Tuesday... heads will roll.

The problem will be if the download finishes before you leave to go to school...

And then your brain starts convincing you that missing one day of school ain't so bad...

oxidax

This thread has been getting slower :/

Yeah it started to die down after it leaked. I guess everyone just went to the spoilers thread. I was there for about a day. I wish i didn't but what i saw was beautiful. Thank god the story is still not spoiled for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom