• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a map comparison between GTA V and Just Cause 2? I've seen the GTA 4, RDR, and San Andreas comparisons, but Just Cause 2 has been the grandaddy of size for a while.
JC2 is still bigger. An Arma 3 dev (I think) made a comparison picture a few days ago of a bunch of game worlds.

Gaz_RB

I just want miles of road and scenery to drive through. That's the end game in these sandboxes for me. Pleasurable drives through winding roads and great scenery. Just Cause 2 had the natural scenery and winding roads down, but the handling in GTA has always been superior. GTA 4 didn't have fun roads to drive on.

Yeah the problem with GTA 4 was that there was no variety, no long stretches of curvy roads or anything.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
this game is so beautiful, the colors....playing gta iv and it's dismally gray, even on "sunny" days.

I agree on the color palette of IV there, although, if heard it was that way by design.

There are some good points of color in it though. The gray of it kind of feels more NY to be honest, speaking as a native NYer. I think there are a lot of gray and browns throughout NYC. The colors of V are much more suited to its environment.

Gangxxter

Is there a map comparison between GTA V and Just Cause 2? I've seen the GTA 4, RDR, and San Andreas comparisons, but Just Cause 2 has been the grandaddy of size for a while.
There is a really good one by one of the developers/designers at Bohemian Interactive (ArmA 3) but I can't find it anymore. It was posted in the GTA V map leak thread a week ago.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm looking at the song list in the OT and I think I know 3 or 4 songs max from that list...kinda dissapointed. I didn't like the soundtrack of 4 either. I miss VC and SA.

After 10 hours, the one thing that does not click with me is
when you switch characters, it seems that you miss stuff that happens while you are not using it: e.g. I had to replay a mission with Michael and the second time, I switched to Michael and realized that Ive missed a LOT of cutscenes that lead to the beginning of the mission
, besides this the game is fantastic, and the scope is just overwhelmingly huge!

P.S. I used the spoiler tags and even though what I typed is not a spoiler per se, I dont want to risk spoiling the initial experience for anybody.

Wait, could you expand on this a little bit? :)

I'm looking at the song list in the OT and I think I know 3 or 4 songs max from that list...kinda dissapointed. I didn't like the soundtrack of 4 either. I miss VC and SA.
Disappointed in yourself, right? Discovering new music you enjoy is a wonderful experience. I guess it's pretty cool if you have found everything you will ever enjoy.

Gangxxter

Here it is:

3HY76om.jpg

Very accurate as far as I can tell.
San Andreas is missing but would be about half the size of V.

jiggles

Banned
I tell you what, jumping out of a jet at cruising altitude with no parachute is some terrifying shit. The kind of thing that sticks with you long after you've stopped playing.

Megasoum

Banned
Disappointed in yourself, right? Discovering new music you enjoy is a wonderful experience. I guess it's pretty cool if you have found everything you will ever enjoy.

Oh sure, it's great to discover new stuff. I guess it will mean I probably won't change station very often and just listen what is playing at the time when I get in the car.

It's not necessarly a bad thing, it's just not as memorable as the VC or SA soundtrack.

dreamfall

Like every GTA though, the beauty is learning how the music interacts with the world around you. The moment that perfect song comes on as the world around you devolves into complete madness!

And then, there's a moment I had in TBOGT. Yusuf and Luis had just completed a mission of pure extravagance. Riding back to the apartment, "Young Hearts Run Free" came on. Cruising in a banshee, the city lights glittering against the purple sunset. Complete bliss.

Spazznid

A soundtrack of all new songs means you can gain an even more expansive library of favorites. I was ecstatic that I didn't know too many.

Now I know about Toro Y Moi, and The Chain Gang of 1974.

I barely had the money this week to pay off GTA so I won't get to have my "classic" all nighter. I think I have enough for some Shasta and pizza rolls. 'nuff said.

diggler41

Biggest game worlds I have seen/played are JC2 and Fuel.(Heard Daggerfall is immense but never played). I love JC2 size, varied terrain and overall craziness. Sadly it was to big for what they put in it. Fuel is I believe even bigger than JC2. But it's empty. I mean realy just empty. So I am super excited for a giant game world that is dense as hell. :)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Just Cause 2 would be the granddaddy of game size worlds, I reckon it would probably be FUEL's gameworld which is over 5,560 square miles (14,400 km²) in size. It's a game I love to put on now and again and just go for a drive in.

Derrick01

Banned
The humor in GTA 3 and Vice City was way more subtle than what it became in SA and GTA 4

Not really. I still remember the blatantly obvious buy american ads for cars, the rambo/arnold parody ad and of course Love Fist all from Vice City.

Big_Al said:
I don't think Just Cause 2 would be the granddaddy of game size worlds, I reckon it would probably be FUEL's gameworld which is over 5,560 square miles (14,400 km²) in size. It's a game I love to put on now and again and just go for a drive in

The key thing both those games share is that their worlds are ridiculously boring and empty in large spots. Having a massive world means nothing when you can't find anything to do with it.

Gangxxter

I don't think Just Cause 2 would be the granddaddy of game size worlds, I reckon it would probably be FUEL's gameworld which is over 5,560 square miles (14,400 km²) in size. It's a game I love to put on now and again and just go for a drive in.
Yep, FUEL is really massive. It's as large as the entire Connecticut state!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have any special food / snack plans for Tuesday, but I'm having a buddy over for some blunts and GTA as soon as he's got a day off. Gonna be just like the San Andreas days. :-D

dreamfall

Import beer. It's really good

A little drank won't hurt! Oh and dreamfall, I think I saw that you're in nyc? Same here man! I'm in jersey city

Jersey represent! Stand up! I was out living in the East Village last year, but money was tight. Moved back to South Orange, respite from the grit. That city will be the death of me.

Tearing down 95, back in DC to attend the midnight launch in my hometown. Stopped by the side of the road to stare at the Domino Sugars sign in Baltimore. That's the reminder of home, the effervescent glow.

Gangxxter

I tell you what, jumping out of a jet at cruising altitude with no parachute is some terrifying shit. The kind of thing that sticks with you long after you've stopped playing.
And now imagine that with Oculus Rift support...

One can always dream!

Oh sweet Jesus, I'm actually considering going to my first midnight launch ever. A JB-HiFi (Australia) is doing one just around the corner from where I live. If I go, that means I'll have the game in 13 hours.

Oh man.

OH MAN.

QP3

I have the snacks, redbull and some good ol newcastle in prep for gta..I'm so ready to get lost in this.

Nicely done my friend. Enjoy.

Oh sweet Jesus, I'm actually considering going to my first midnight launch ever. A JB-HiFi (Australia) is doing one just around the corner from where I live. If I go, that means I'll have the game in 13 hours.

Oh man.

OH MAN.
I succumbed to the hype and pre ordered this morning. Going to my first midnight launch tomorrow night with my good friend. Mine as well!

dreamfall

Oh man.

OH MAN.

DO IT! It's an experience in it's own right! This happens once every half decade!

Real talk, the GTA IV release was the craziest launch I'd ever been a part of. First in line got dropped in the parking lot, Police showed up late. GTA is no joke!

ieatzombies

Jersey represent! Stand up! I was out living in the East Village last year, but money was tight. Moved back to South Orange, respite from the grit. That city will be the death of me.

Tearing down 95, back in DC to attend the midnight launch in my hometown. Stopped by the side of the road to stare at the Domino Sugars sign in Baltimore. That's the reminder of home, the effervescent glow.

Ah, gotcha. The midnight launch is gonna be beastly! I hear ya man. The city is a bit too fast paced for my liking. I actually just moved back up here from California. I guess you could say I pulled a reverse CJ. :p

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The key thing both those games share is that their worlds are ridiculously boring and empty in large spots. Having a massive world means nothing when you can't find anything to do with it.

Well one of the reasons I really like FUEL is because I can go for a very quiet drive with nothing other than the sound of your vehicle and the atmosphere of the game. I love the way the environments naturally change when going from one to the other and I just find it a very peaceful game to put on now and again. It's one of the reasons I love Far Cry 2 so much as well, I just love pottering about in that world :) Plus I do enjoy FUELs races and the various weather it has etc. Plus on PC I can fuck about with the FUEL Refueled mod though admittedly I played more of it on 360 than PC (since the PC version uses GFWL)

Can't wait for tomorrow. Midnight launch tradition of me and my friends hitting up Applebees around 10pm to devour a ton of half-price apps then walking across the street to Gamestop to pick our game up.

Although I have a 3 hour night class at 6pm. Ah well, tomorrow is gonna be rad.

dreamfall

Ah, gotcha. The midnight launch is gonna be beastly! I hear ya man. The city is a bit too fast paced for my liking. I actually just moved back up here from California. I guess you could say I pulled a reverse CJ. :p

After five years on the West Coast, it was time to go home! I carry a love and respect for Jersey in my blood- I put that on everything. Watching Sandy tear up the coast broke my heart. Cheers to the Garden State!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been outside doing yard work all fuckin day so I haven't had a chance to update Gaming Age Family for PS3.

Heads up, later tonight I'll be trimming the GAF crew again so if you would like to take the omerta visit this thread right here and sign up on the GDOC. If you're not on the GDOC and I can't recognize your social club ID to your GAF name it's time to go swimming with the fishes sharks.

We are nearly back up to the cap and I expect a huge surge on Tuesday and then again on Oct 1st. I gotta make sure all my fellow GAF peeps have a spot.

WE ARE SO CLOSE.

Just signed the doc... will get the social club stuff sorted soon. Gotta remember my login info lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom