• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most people at my establishment are actually either scared or nonchalant about this game. I don't know if anyone really wants to review it.

I understand the trepidation, but I don't give a fuck. I'm actually more sceptical than excited for this game, but I still need to get it. This year's seen a lot of "generation closers", games that celebrate or lampoon what this generation had to offer. Will this game be one of them, or will the driving still suck?

This time tomorrow I will be in line at GameStop with god knows how many others playing FFVII as time seems to fast forward playing that game.

San Andreas was the best GTA and this looks like they took that game and upped the ante x 100. Can't wait!!!

I feel sorry for everything important in my life once this game is in my hands. I told my gf to hold my calls and our relationship!
She hid my PS3 :(

GavinGT

Banned
I think most people at my establishment are actually either scared or nonchalant about this game. I don't know if anyone really wants to review it.

I understand the trepidation, but I don't give a fuck. I'm actually more sceptical than excited for this game, but I still need to get it. This year's seen a lot of "generation closers", games that celebrate or lampoon what this generation had to offer. Will this game be one of them, or will the driving still suck?

The driving does not still suck. It's closer to GTA 3 than IV.

PrimeRib_

Wasn't sure if this was posted earlier or not (200+ thread!) but a comparison video that went up Saturday and taken down shortly after, is back up.

PS3 vs Xbox 360.

The weather and time of day in the comparison video is different but both systems look crisp and clean - huge improvement over GTAIV.

Video here

realcZk

So, does anyone have any idea when we/if the game will be available to preload from PSN?

I've heard so many conflicting pieces of information.

On Sept 13th Rockstar tweeted that it would be avail Monday 9/16 3AM EST in the US:
https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/378583916199682048

However, later that day they retweeted a status from PlayStation saying that it would be available Tuesday 9/17 at 12AM EST in the US:
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/378690600909807616

So from what I can tell, there likely may not be a preload for NA at all? Brace yourself PSN.

Alienous

The driving does not still suck. It's closer to GTA 3 than IV.

i_uh.gif

M.W.

I watched streams for far too long. I think I may have ruined a bit of the game. :( Oh well, still can't wait!

GavinGT

Banned
Eh, that's selling it a bit short.

I'm saying it doesn't have the annoying reliance on real-life driving physics. You can powerslide through just about any turn going full speed. There's still an advanced physics system in place but it doesn't get in the way.

Wasn't sure if this was posted earlier or not (200+ thread!) but a comparison video that went up Saturday and taken down shortly after, is back up.

PS3 vs Xbox 360.

The weather and time of day in the comparison video is different but both systems look crisp and clean - huge improvement over GTAIV.

Video here

Hard to tell much difference detail wise but the lighting in the PS3 version seemed much more real to me. 360 version looked ultra bright. Maybe PS3 is in a different FOV mode also?

cdkee

Banned
I'm saying it doesn't have the annoying reliance on real-life driving physics. You can powerslide through just about any turn going full speed. There's still an advanced physics system in place but it doesn't get in the way.

So...basically San Andreas?

Dead

well not really...yet
Its tempting to say the PS3 version looks better based on that video, but the fact that both systems are on during different times of the day makes it hard to say for sure.

Either way, makes me feel better about my PS3 SE pre-order

Katyusha

Damn...I cannot believe that we're this close to release.

It seems like yesterday that I was watching the reveal trailer on my phone in my high school study hall.

PrimeRib_

Hard to tell much difference detail wise but the lighting in the PS3 version seemed much more real to me. 360 version looked ultra bright. Maybe PS3 is in a different FOV mode also?

I'm watching it for the 4th time, still can't tell. I already looked for jaggies but each system seems to do a decent job. Finally, the PS3 at 720p, eliminates that blurred out mess that GTAIV delivered.

valeo

Can you guys imagine, in another ten years playing a game that takes place...in a country? Or a fully scanned version of the world or something.

Well I can wait for that. For now I need my GTAV.

Bigger isn't always better. I'd rather they keep this scale but make everything more interactive and fully realised.

Ateron

First thing I'm gonna do when I start the game is borrow the most ridiculous ride I can find, then I'll drive to the countryside and steal a tractor. Maybe terrorize the local populace for a bit until the police gets on my heels, followed by a thrilling getaway through some harsh terrain and to end it, a nice base jump from the highest place I can get to (without parachute, just to lol at Euphoria).

Then, the real game begins.

Think they made sacrifices in other places; i.e. not as many pedestrians/cars on the road.

I've seen the game. Man the traffic is better than ever, and can get really pack.

There is sacrifice, but mostly in the IQ. And well, the IQ is still better than 4 so I can live with that.

Looked like different times of day on that.

Yeah using different times of the day kind of killed the comparison. It did seem like the Ps3 was using a wider FOV mode though. Things seemed a tad bigger overall.

Either way you go, game looks pretty fantastic running on ancient hardware.

So, does anyone have any idea when we/if the game will be available to preload from PSN?

I've heard so many conflicting pieces of information.

On Sept 13th Rockstar tweeted that it would be avail Monday 9/16 3AM EST in the US:
https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/378583916199682048

However, later that day they retweeted a status from PlayStation saying that it would be available Tuesday 9/17 at 12AM EST in the US:
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/378690600909807616

So from what I can tell, there likely may not be a preload for NA at all? Brace yourself PSN.
no NA pre-load. it was a post mistake

cdkee

Banned
Really hope my Feb 2008 40GB OG model doesn't explode tonight.

Luckily I have the missus' PS3 slim as a backup.

I'm worried about my Xbox, got that baby back in 06, is a RROD survivor and nowadays takes a bit longer than she used to to even load the dashboard. Hopefully GTAV isn't too much for her to handle :(

Bigger isn't always better. I'd rather they keep this scale but make everything more interactive and fully realised.

We're eventually going to get to a point where everything is both interactive and on a huge scale when Google map scanning, and procedurally generated content becomes the norm.

The SSX reboot was a small look into that tech. They used scans of real world mountain ranges, then level designers went over everything and turned them into proper racing/trick courses. I think we'll start seeing this approach with open world games next gen. Random building interiors, random content being generated, player created content becoming a much bigger focus, etc. Then it's the designers jobs to make sure everything works and set the rules of the world so stuff doesn't get out of control.

When Rockstar says they eventually want to recreate the world....well, I believe they'll get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom