• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayabusi

Ordered yesterday, will probably arrive on Wednesday.

Can't wait! (But have to stay strong and only play 1-2h a day, have to finish my thesis...)

Timu

I managed to score my PS3 copy in Au earlier this morning...Mwuhah.

Quick positive impressions (no spoilers) from my first-gen/Phat PS3:

- The flight model is uber impressive for its scope. There's a mini flight sim in there. You could buy the game and get your money's worth just flying around.
- The tire wall texture looks so good. It looks like it's from a modern car sim not a GTA game.
- Every now and again, you'll walk into a situation on foot (specifically on missions) and the game will look close to some next-gen screenshots. It's clearly a current gen game but sometimes the scenery is just...wow.
- No screen tearing at all
- Frame rate looks to be a rock solid 25fps in the most hectic of chases/shootouts I've triggered. I've been specifically looking for frame rate drops and haven't noticed any.
- The textures are surprisingly great in most instances (as with most games it's easy to find a blurry rock or two). An amazing feat considering there's only 256mb of vram on the PS3. I'm primarily a PC gamer FYI, so console textures typically generate a vomit-in-mouth response. Not here.
- I doubt that the game is running natively at 720p but it is close. It's a far cry from the vaseline smear of GTA IV and the IQ much much nicer than the PS3 version of RDR
- The water shader is possibly the most impressive one I've seen on a console. It looks amazing.
I'll be surprised if this version wasn't in 720p, but very nice impressions, this game is going to own!

gosox333

Hey, does anyone know how cheats are entered in this game?

Is it button presses like the PS2 games? Or phone numbers like IV?

Just answering your question. Not really spoilers, but you never really know with people around here...

They've gone back to the button combos. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Probably my last post in this thread till after I play the game. Not looking at any reviews tomorrow. See you guys on the other side.
Iconcheers.gif

Edit: Gonna feel great seeing everything for the first time, managed not to look at any streams or gifs.

I'm the same way can't believe with a release this big I've been able to avoid anything other than what R* has provided me. I have no desire to read or 'discuss' reviews for this game. I have already bought it, no matter what anyone says I know I'll enjoy it so I don't really see the point in reading spoiler filled reviews about a product I already own.

This thread has been an awesome safe haven. Thanks goes to Buckethead for creating a great OP and Bish who kept it safe. I haven't needed any other source for info and it's been genuinely fun passing the time with all of you. By the time I wake up tomorrow I'll be less than 24 hours away from having it all to myself.

I generally don't post on Mondays because it's my day off and I try my best to spend it as far away from a computer as possible. Enjoy everyone!

GrayGrey

Neo Member
Strange it's at Gamestop and not Best Buy given how huge the Best Buy in Union Square is compared to that Gamestop. I had a feeling they would be holding an NYC launch event. Too bad I pre-ordered it from Newegg so I'll be passing it up even though it sounds like fun. Plus I have class at 10AM the next day and have homework to do.

Now that I think about it, that is kind of weird. Maybe they needed space for the custom Banshee. IIRC that Bestbuy does not have a ground floor.

Just in case anyone was planning to stream this on Twitch and doesn't want a DMCA violation, Take-Two Interactive says the streaming embargo officially lifts at 12:00am ET/9:00pm PT. There was a ton of controversy with L.A. Noire's streaming status with tons of channels getting hit, even some big, partnered ones. They clarified this one ahead of time.

Ostinatto

In all seriousness, I didn't know they're were actual gamers in Chile. I thought gaming as a hobby in most South American countries was too expensive?? Maybe just more bullshit being fed to us here in US....

there's a lot of South American gamers here in Neogaf bro xD

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Is anybody as hyped as I am for the scuba diving? It just seems really intriguing how much detail is being put into the underwater aspect of a gta.

I am! Looking forward to smoking some Mary Jane and enjoying the tranquillity. It's going to be awesome. Shame my capture device is in another castle though.

spats

My preload is at 82% after a very poor night's sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about the game.

It felt like I was 8 again and waiting for santa clause. : I

ieatzombies

I am! Looking forward to smoking some Mary Jane and enjoying the tranquillity. It's going to be awesome. Shame my capture device is in another castle though.
The best! It's gonna be serene down there...until a shark decks you in the face. Soo good. I have to throw this reference out there: endless ocean..the underwater should be that x100

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
:O Are their pitch/yaw controls?

There certainly is. You control pitch/roll with the thumbstick and yaw/rudder with the shoulder buttons. You can 'knife' and perform complex flight maneuvers. Wind seems to take affect too. It's definitely not a flight sim, but it is detailed enough to make me happy (I'm going for my private pilots license in an ultra light at the moment). Throttle control is uber basic and there's no trimming of the elevator controls etc but all the important stuff is there for a fun but detailed basic flight model. It's easy to pickup and hard to master.

I can't wait to see the YouTube stunt videos once it's been out for a while.

KAP151

Pouring with rain outside my window and gloomy as fuck.

Perfect weather to escape to Los Santos!

Hurry the fuck up midnight!

Jhoan

Now that I think about it, that is kind of weird. Maybe they needed space for the custom Banshee. IIRC that Bestbuy does not have a ground floor.
They do but I think they only have a small customer service desk, wheelchairs, and up/down escalators. I'll agree; that corner that the Best Buy is on is awful to park a car on. The Banshee is probably going to be parked in front of the Gamestop and get a lot of attention. I suppose the Gamestop's size works to its advantage since people are going to be let in, go to the cash register, buy the game, grab some swag and go straight into the subway. That Banshee is probably going to look pretty bad ass.

I have a paper due in several hours, some readings, and 2 art pieces to get done and I'm procrastinating by being on GAF. This thread keeps pulling back in.

Suspected as much. Dammit.

That's really not unrealistic, as there aren't many pedestrians in LA outside of certain "touristy" areas and certain beaches.

Either in this thread or the spoiler thread, I saw someone complain that one of the beaches in the game was nearly empty. So? I live in a suburb of LA, a mile away from the beach and the beach is normally nearly empty.

sdornan

Man, I just realized that they probably had to record the side mission VO conversations three times, once for each character - or at least the protagonists' side of them.

GrayGrey

Neo Member
There certainly is. You control pitch with the thumbstick and yaw/rudder with the shoulder buttons. You can 'knife' and perform complex flight maneuvers. Wind seems to take affect too so use of the rudder can be used.

It's definitely not a flight sim, but it is detailed enough to make me happy (I'm going for my private pilots license in an ultra light at the moment).

Throttle control is uber basic but all the important stuff is there for a fun but detailed basic flight model. It's easy to pickup and hard to master.

I can't wait to see the YouTube stunt videos once it's been out for a while.

727376554.gif

:D Thanks for confirming. After the squirrelyness of Just Cause 2 planes, I'm glad a console game has some competent flying.

And best of luck on your license fellow Gaffer!

cdkee

Banned
The only review I care about is IGN. /s

Seriously though, I'm willing to put money that they will, at least once, mention that they wish they could give the game higher than 10 somewhere in their review. Unless they pull a retcon on IV.

Jeff Gerstmann and Alex Navarro of Giant Bomb have been making sarcastic comments about the GTA 5 review all night on Twitter. I wonder if Jeff didn't like it?

CF22

My Gamestop called to tell me they're having a midnight release.

I have to wake up at 10:40am on Wednesday for an exam.

Fuck.

Haha don't worry I have to wake up at 8:00 AM for class at 9:30 AM Tuesday and Thursday morning, I have class and meetings till 6:30 PM and on Friday I have to fly to NYC for the weekend. Thats the harm of releasing a GTA when school begins. This is gonna be a test of time management.

Squire

Banned

Seriously though, I'm willing to put money that they will, at least once, mention that they wish they could give the game higher than 10 somewhere in their review. Unless they pull a retcon on IV.

Considering Keza McDonald is reviewing it I don't expect any sort of hyperbole like that. She doesn't write that way.

amnesiac

First game to get an 11/10. Wouldn't be surprised.

Well, yeah, I kind of would, but it's funny how much they are sucking up to Rockstar.

ieatzombies

Jeff Gerstmann and Alex Navarro of Giant Bomb have been making sarcastic comments about the GTA 5 review all night on Twitter. I wonder if Jeff didn't like it?
Is gta going to be the new whipping boy? Will it be reviewed honestly and not through cynicism and being jaded? Nah. Jeff tells it straight, although, it must be hard not to get jaded every now and again reviewing games 24/7. I know I am going to enjoy the hell out of this game either way.

1 day!

How many hours till the reviews are out?

36 hours about for me... Reviews in eight hours and 15 minutes if 10AM EST is the lift of the embargo.

727376554.gif

:D Thanks for confirming. After the squirrelyness of Just Cause 2 planes, I'm glad a console game has some competent flying.

And best of luck on your license fellow Gaffer!

Ugh, JC2's planes were fucking awful, I avoided using the damn things as much as I could and resorted in using helicopters for challenges, thankfully the Rowlinson K22 from the Black Market was fast enough once maxed out.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
To be perfectly honest in parts like the beach and Vinewood area it's quite good, but yeah there isn't that much on foot traffic in most area.

It's fine considering living near the LA area I know people don't really walk that much in most parts of California.

man I bet in a PC version that shit would be a slider that you could set. I'd crank it to max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom