• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, fuck the "do not install your 360 play disc" thing. I hate that awful disc drive and bought it on 360 because of that. You might want to give people a heads up before preorders are shipped next time, R*.

woen

Yep, that review already lost all it's credibility.

images

JLeack

Banned
96 Metacritic IMO. With sites like Quarter to Three on Meta every game will be struck with an average or low score from here on out no matter how good it is.

Garibaldi

Guys....you will love this game. Really...This is something special and maybe the best GTA ever.

Darn it I'm properly getting caught up in this last day hype and I promised myself I wouldn't. I hope my Phat PS3 doesn't die on me. I think I punished her good and properly with TLoU. Might buy a new Super Slim at the weekend just in case.

OT, but are the Super Slim's quiet? Compared to the Phat 60GB models.

13 minutes until embargo lifts. Nothing stops this train. CHOO CHOO

Is it not 3pm GMT? As in 4pm uk time (BST). Another hour no?

Gaz_RB

I think it should have it's own section! I know from a few magazines that they give separate scores for the single- and multiplayer part.

I think it should too! But metacritic is weird. And since GTA Online isn't really another product that you can buy separately...

It's gonna be cool to see how it turns out.

ieatzombies

Ah, fuck the "do not install your 360 play disc" thing. I hate that awful disc drive and bought it on 360 because of that. You might want to give people a heads up before preorders are shipped next time, R*.
I haven't heard of this. Is there some kind of hinderance in installing the play disc? That doesn't make any sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Darn it I'm properly getting caught up in this last day hype and I promised myself I wouldn't. I hope my Phat PS3 doesn't die on me. I think I punished her good and properly with TLoU.

I have the exact same worry! I don't have a launch PS3, but it is a 2008 Phat, and it has been getting really loud lately. And yes, especially with TLoU. But I'll just hope for the best, can't really afford a new one right now.

Pandemic

10 minutes till the midnight launch, but after being hyped up for the launch, I decided to not go since I'm to tired haha. Guess ill grab it tomorrow.

Garibaldi

I have the exact same worry! I don't have a launch PS3, but it is a 2008 Phat, and it has been getting really loud lately. And yes, especially with TLoU. But I'll just hope for the best, can't really afford a new one right now.

Yeah it's worrying isn't when the fans fire up and it starts to levitate? I bought my 60GB second hand in '08 I think and so far so good. But if it's gonna go, it's gonna go when I don't want it to.

Fingers crossed for us both.

You think it'll have it own section on metacritic? That'd be interesting

I think it should, unless reviewers have been given access to it somehow.

I expect GTA Online to get slightly lower scores than the main game - still universal praise, but it'll be interesting to see how well fleshed out it is.

I'm interested in reading Eurogamer, Gamespot and Jim Sterling's review. I actually have the game already (thank you early delivery!) but I'm gonna hold out till tomorrow so I can have a proper GTA day at launch.

I haven't heard of this. Is there some kind of hinderance in installing the play disc? That doesn't make any sense.
They confirmed it on twitter. Everyone's best guess is that it's taylored to stream from both sources (disc and HDD) and putting everything on the HDD essentially creates a bottleneck.

Halo 3 had this but there's been a number of 360 games since then that had mandatory installations and behaved properly with both discs installed.

TBH, if the performance hit isn't terrible, I might still do it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It makes sense if the game typically reads from both places at once (for example, streaming game world data from the HDD install and music from the disc). With both installed the HDD access would have to constantly jump between the two separate installs, increasing seek times. Would not surprise me if that leads to more pop-in, etc. If you don't install the disc the HDD will just have to be read from one location at any given time, and the streaming solution R* has implemented will probably work better.

Reposting:

Metacritic predictions

MormaPope - 100
Cisce - 100
Screaming Meat - 100
LNBL - 100
weekend_warrior - 99
flyinpiranha - 99
More_Badass - 99
brickarts295 - 99
kazebyaka - 99
Certinty - 99
Marleyman - 99
kev25b - 99
Rembrandt - 98/99
RadioActiveLobster 98
Gaz_RB - 98
Alienous - 98
MetalGuardian - 98
Macro. - 98
Spine_Ripper - 98
Spazznid - 98
BigWeather - 98
sdornan - 98
-Yeti - 98
Amagon - 98
AOC83 - 98
red731 - 98
waru - 98
ViviOggi - 98
Krusader - 98
Alcoholikaust - 98
Alchemist - 98
scarlet - 97
Ridesh - 97
antitrop - 97
DukeBobby - 97
Bunta - 97
Tricky I Shadow - 97
Count of Monte Sawed-Off - 97
revolverjgw - 97
Pagusas - 97
likewiise - 97
CountBlackule - 97
The Dutch Slayer - 97
Punished_Snake - 97
SuperSah - 97
RoKKeR - 97
cleveridea - 97
ieatzombies - 97
Falifax - 97
Bullza2o - 96
~Kinggi~ - 96
dreamfall - 96
reelbigtink - 96
Avon Barksdale - 96
Prompto - 96
QuantumBro - 96
Dark_AnNiaLatOr - 96
Rastafarian42 - 96
bmdubya - 96
Radec - 96
Undead - 96
NEOPARADIGM - 96
DeadlyVirus - 96
NotTheGuyYouKill - 96
PureGone - 96
Cheddahz - 96
Garibaldi - 96
FuzzyNorman - 96
Hanmik - 96
JLeack - 96
Plasmid - 95/96
Dug - 95
Papercuts - 95
jacobs34 - 95
edgardavids - 95
Represent. - 95
FStop7 - 95
gosox333 - 95
TheLucifer - 95
miDnIghtEr20C - 94
UrbanRats - 94
GAMERG0D - 94
deli2000 - 94
KAP151 - 94
Zukuu - 94
Derrick01 - 93
SkyTurnsRed - 93
Gizmowned - 93
Sub_Level - 92
spats - 92
Fjordson - 91
Fracas - 90
Hoo-doo - 90
bonesmccoy - 88
Fine Ham Abounds - 42 lol

My prediction - 95

Gaz_RB

I think it should, unless reviewers have been given access to it somehow.

I expect GTA Online to get slightly lower scores than the main game - still universal praise, but it'll be interesting to see how well fleshed out it is.

I'm interested in reading Eurogamer, Gamespot and Jim Sterling's review. I actually have the game already (thank you early delivery!) but I'm gonna hold out till tomorrow so I can have a proper GTA day at launch.

Are you serious? You have the game but you're not playing?

That's amazing.

I'm interested to see how they divide up the reviews. Maybe they gave them access to the multiplayer last week?

Only from Rockstar Support tweets, so it depends on how much stock you hold on them.

I'd guess that it has something to do with streaming such a large area and it being faster from an optical disc than a HDD drive.

ieatzombies

They confirmed it on twitter. Everyone's best guess is that it's taylored to stream from both sources (disc and HDD) and putting everything on the HDD essentially creates a bottleneck.

Halo 3 had this but there's been a number of 360 games since then that had mandatory installations and behaved properly with both discs installed.

TBH, if the performance hit isn't terrible, I might still do it.

It makes sense if the game typically reads from both places at once (for example, streaming game world data from the HDD install and music from the disc). With both installed the HDD access would have to constantly jump between the two separate installs, increasing seek times. Would not surprise me if that leads to more pop-in, etc. If you don't install the disc the HDD will just have to be read from one location at any given time, and the streaming solution R* has implemented will probably work better.
Didn't think of that. I still might do it. Don't want to risk killing my 360 because of the running disc. Thanks for the heads up!

Derrick01

Banned
Wait, Tom liked AC3? Between that and his TLoU review, I'm starting to wonder about him. I rarely agree with him, but his reviews are usually a good read. With TLoU, it sounded like he wrote the review after watching someone else play it or something.

Yeah he gave AC3 a 5/5.....

I hope you read that in a place where uncontrollable laughter is acceptable.

Are you serious? You have the game but you're not playing?

That's amazing.

I'm interested to see how they divide up the reviews. Maybe they gave them access to the multiplayer last week?

I've been holding out for Tuesday for so long that at this point I'd rather wait till the 17th hits and enjoy it as everyone else does. That and my hype is so high that I'm almost fearful of getting burnt out too quickly or something haha :p

I've got to go out this evening so even if I did play today, it'd annoy me more to know that I wouldn't get home till late and then probably be too tired to get really invested in it this eve.

Plus, it'll be fun to chat with mates as we get into it.

17th is GTA day yo!

I've been holding out for Tuesday for so long that at this point I'd rather wait till the 17th hits and enjoy it as everyone else does. That and my hype is so high that I'm almost fearful of getting burnt out too quickly or something haha :p

I've got to go out this evening so even if I did play today, it'd annoy me more to know that I wouldn't get home till late and then probably be too tired to get really invested in it this eve.

Plus, it'll be fun to chat with mates as we get into it.

17th is GTA day yo!

You're a better man than I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom