• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flunkie

Banned
Fuck you IGN. Spoiling a mission for me in the first paragraph. I media blackout myself to save myself from stuff like this and they go and spoil it right away for me. Moments like those are so much more special if I don't know they're coming, no matter how cool it is.

Darklord

Banned
Characters constantly spout lines that glorify male sexuality while demeaning women, and the billboards and radio stations of the world reinforce this misogyny, with ads that equate manhood with sleek sports cars while encouraging women to purchase a fragrance that will make them “smell like a bitch.” Yes, these are exaggerations of misogynistic undercurrents in our own society, but not satirical ones.

I don't even understand this GS review. How is that NOT satire? Has she never played a GTA game before? The entire thing is an exaggerated satire of our society. And it's not political correctness? Good god.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shi---EDGE 10/10

tumblr_m7diig61WG1qe6nyz.gif

WARNING: MINOR OPENING SPOILERS

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Characters constantly spout lines that glorify male sexuality while demeaning women, and the billboards and radio stations of the world reinforce this misogyny, with ads that equate manhood with sleek sports cars while encouraging women to purchase a fragrance that will make them “smell like a bitch.” Yes, these are exaggerations of misogynistic undercurrents in our own society, but not satirical ones.

I don't even understand this GS review. How is that NOT satire? Has she never played a GTA game before? The entire thing is an exaggerated satire of our society. And it's not political correctness? Good god.

I just read that. Similar things are said in the Polygon review. Sigh.

From Edge: As we stand on the brink of a new generation, GTAV sends an intimidating message to the rest of the industry. Beat that.

Awyiss. Love the Edge review.

They get it as well: "The game’s treatment of women – every female in the game exists solely to be sneered, leered or laughed at – is a real concern until you realise that it applies to the male characters as well."

vordhosbn

Banned
Fuck you IGN. Soiling a mission for me in the first paragraph. I media blackout myself to save myself from stuff like this and they go and spoil it right away for me. Moments like those are so much more special if I don't know they're coming, no matter how cool it is.

This.

For all the other guys who don't be spoiled what sounds like one of the game highlights, DO NOT READ IGN REVIEW.

ieatzombies

Backlash from reaction of reviews on IV is to be expected I guess on some sites. From the scores I'm seeing I'm actually surprised that certain reviewers actually ended up giving it a perfect score. Hyped beyond belief!

Garibaldi

Reviewers complaining about political correctness can go **** themselves.
I play games to be entertained, and GTA V seems to do that perfectly.

too true. Tell me if the gameplay is good and if it's technically competent. I'll decide for myself if I want to be offended by the storyline.

dreamfall

Most excellent- just peered at the scores, read couple paragraphs from each. Sterling likes it, it's a damn good sign!

#TeamNoSpoilers united- the wait is almost over!

Midnight! We're finally here!

v0mitg0d

A little advice to anyone who's super-sensitive to spoilers of any kind--don't go to the Giant Bomb or Rev3 reviews. GB is fairly tame, but there was a mention of a specific situation with one of the protagonist and kind of bummed me out and didn't want to read.

I hopped over to Rev3 and it's just FILLED with gameplay and cutscenes. Kind of bummed because I was hoping Sess would talk about his thoughts, not outright show stuff with no warning. :(

What's up GAF! Long-time reader, first time poster.

Anyways thanks for putting this post together, as I am only allowing myself to read official non-spoiler material etc for GTAV. After years and years of waiting (impatiently especially the past 9 months or so), I cannot believe it is only one day away. Even better, I haven't read any major spoilers. It's going to be a tough day with all the hype and discussions, so good luck to those that are not reading the leaks and whatnot. I'll have to check back in mid-game since I know there is just SO much to take in during the first play-through. Enjoy the game all!!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
A little advice to anyone who's super-sensitive to spoilers of any kind--don't go to the Giant Bomb or Rev3 reviews. GB is fairly tame, but there was a mention of a specific situation with one of the protagonist and kind of bummed me out and didn't want to read.

I hopped over to Rev3 and it's just FILLED with gameplay and cutscenes. Kind of bummed because I was hoping Sess would talk about his thoughts, not outright show stuff with no warning. :(

Add EDGE to that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
only score that matters.

Reviewers complaining about political correctness can go **** themselves.

I play games to be entertained, and GTA V seems to do that perfectly.
You can't pretend sexism and other forms of oppression don't matter. It's absolutely valid for reviewers to include it in their critiques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom