• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
plane-taking-off.jpg
1Dxr479l.jpg

Reviewers complaining about political correctness can go **** themselves.
Agreed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If you're trying to avoid spoilers I wouldn't watch the gttv review

It's nothing bad but there's a lot of little things that might be fun to see for yourself

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Reviewers complaining about political correctness can go **** themselves.

I play games to be entertained, and GTA V seems to do that perfectly.

I agree. It's irritating having journalists force personal political / social agendas into game reviews. I'm finding myself now just performing a CTRL-F for the word 'misogyny' in any review. As soon as it returns a result, I don't bother reading the any further.

Pandemic

Gamespots video review has quite a few spoilers, and a lot of cutscenes. I'd steer clear of that one if you don't want to spoil anything. I exited it because there were to many cutscenes..

IGN's video review isn't as bad.

UrbanRats

Characters constantly spout lines that glorify male sexuality while demeaning women, and the billboards and radio stations of the world reinforce this misogyny, with ads that equate manhood with sleek sports cars while encouraging women to purchase a fragrance that will make them “smell like a bitch.” Yes, these are exaggerations of misogynistic undercurrents in our own society, but not satirical ones.
Not satirical? What?

So apparently R*'s on the nose pathetically obvious satire, is still too subtle for some...

Krusader

Neo Member
Wow... EB serving up a bit of "Blow" with GTA V... Though to be fair a narcotics addiction is probably cheaper than being a gamer here...

Still, if this doesn't cause some sort of shit storm, I'll be amazed...

I've been avoiding GTA5 news since the 2nd trailer, I just want to ask if there are framerate news for PS3 version? better or worse than usual Rockstar games on PS3 like GTA4/RDR/Max Payne3?

Darklord

Banned
You can't pretend sexism and other forms of oppression don't matter. It's absolutely valid for reviewers to include it in their critiques.

No it isn't. It's satire based on OUR society. You can't go "sorry we're not going to include these certain things that might offend people, we'll just leave the violent, swearing, and drugs in while you play as a criminal. You know, the soft stuff. Not like that hard offensive satire!".

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Not satirical? What?

So apparently R*'s on the nose pathetically obvious satire, is still too subtle for some...
Satire is a weak excuse for infusing misogynistic attitudes throughput your entire game (and series), with sprinkling of transphobic, racist, and otherwise fucked up attitudes.

I love GTA, but let's please not defend this stuff.

smr00

Banned
Wow... EB serving up a bit of "Blow" with GTA V... Though to be fair a narcotics addiction is probably cheaper than being a gamer here...

Still, if this doesn't cause some sort of shit storm, I'll be amazed...
It's not a big deal. The only people who are going to get their panties in a wad are the people who are going to get their panties in a wad over the game to begin with.

I think it's fitting to do this. I kind of hope my EB does this. I know the EB here is doing a cops/robbers party with battlefield knoxville (battlefield knoxville is like an adult version of laser tag, they use real looking guns). I was hesitant at first about the midnight launch but the more and more i think about it, i think it's going to be fun.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I've been avoiding GTA5 news since the 2nd trailer, I just want to ask if there are framerate news for PS3 version? better or worse than usual Rockstar games on PS3 like GTA4/RDR/Max Payne3?

Much, much better. I've put 14 hours in and I haven't noticed a drop. The frame rate is rock solid. It also looks really great on the PS3. It's a far cry from the vaseline smear and sub 20fps of GTA IV.

I thought I would give an obvious warning, but try to refrain from reading comments on reviews. I had Bioshock: Infinite spoiled for because the highest rated comment was the biggest spoiler the day before the game released.

dreamfall

I knew if anybody was really going to dig trevor it would be Jim! This is gonna be amazing. Tonight tonight!

I think I spoke too soon! Had to read others also to understand- more that his character devolves the story into more traditional gangster story telling, and he's unlikable - I kind of love that. Endless bickering between characters, etc. according to Bramwell.

We shall see soon!

Darklord

Banned
Satire is a weak excuse for infusing misogynistic attitudes throughput your entire game (and series), with sprinkling of transphobic, racist, and otherwise fucked up attitudes.

Well tell our society to stop it then. The entire GTA series is built off over the top satire. So rather than underhanded misogynistic tones they just go "You can smell like a bitch!". It's not pretending to be anything else. It's joking at our own stupidity. Just like the crazy politicians or the wild guns stores.

Sushigod7

It's not a big deal. The only people who are going to get their panties in a wad are the people who are going to get their panties in a wad over the game to begin with.

I think it's fitting to do this. I kind of hope my EB does this. I know the EB here is doing a cops/robbers party with battlefield knoxville (battlefield knoxville is like an adult version of laser tag, they use real looking guns). I was hesitant at first about the midnight launch but the more and more i think about it, i think it's going to be fun.

Fake cocaine isn't going to add anything to you picking up the game it ridiculous and not clever or funny at all.

But the whole point of GTA is how fucked up and bad people are.

Derrick01

Banned
You can't pretend sexism and other forms of oppression don't matter. It's absolutely valid for reviewers to include it in their critiques.

I'm pretty sick of hearing it about every big game that releases now. It feels like the new review format for games is:

Story
Graphics
Gameplay
Sound/music
How it treats women

It's even worse because it's so easy to call the game makers out from behind their PCs while they turn a blind eye to what happens at their conventions to ACTUAL PEOPLE. Only a really small, select few like RPS try to highlight that stuff. The important stuff.

ieatzombies

I think I spoke too soon! Had to read it all to understand- more that his character devolves the story into more traditional gangster story telling, and he's unlikable - I kind of love that. Endless bickering between characters, etc.

We shall see soon!
Even better! I love the idea of Trevor giving tht vibe off.

EGOMON

To those who bought the game digitally of the EU PS store, does the game have a launcher or its a normal download from the PS store?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Do you think it's possible to satirise transphobia, racism or sexism?

I wonder if the issues of installing the full game to HDD also apply to the PSN digital version of the game. I think I've already decided on getting the physical copy just for the map and to have the case, but it'll be interesting to see if the problem is evident on the 100% digital versions as well.

Tourmeta

To those who bought the game digitally of the EU PS store, does the game have a launcher or its a normal download from the PS store?

You download it normally via download list and it unlocks tonight, trying to play results in a message basically telling you to wait.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
fuck yes, my local store told me they should have it ready for me tomorrow. can't wait for it. :)

You're going to be a happy man. Happy GTA V launch day!

Do you think it's possible to satirise transphobia, racism or sexism?

Mwuhah. It begins. Is the review thread up? I'm looking forward to trawling through 90 pages of political discussion with a potential sprinkle of actual discussion about GTA V.

Howdy fellow Knoxvillian.

I've avoided basically everything about this game, other than a couple trailers, for spoiler reasons, so my question might have been talked about recently, but I didn't see anything in the OP

I pre-ordered digital copy (im in the US) on PS3 right now and got the theme, but nothing else. There's no pre-load right? It should magically be available to download at midnight? If anybody knows specifics I'd appreciate it.

I don't want to be waiting for it to do something when "oh you should have gone to this other screen and clicked on a thing"

Longshot

So it's the 17th here in Australia and here I am at work. Wong be able to play until Wednesday arvo.

Boo this man.

Someone post the gif to lighten me up.

Krusader

Neo Member
Referring to this?
P1kYDZm.jpg
Yeah.
Kind of bummed I couldn't make a midnight launch now hahaha.

I personally don't have a problem with it and would have loved to have joined in, but I can't help but feel that its going to kick up a stink. Someone will bitch about it and that will be that. God Australia can be so archaic and uptight sometimes...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No it isn't. It's satire based on OUR society. You can't go "sorry we're not going to include these certain things that might offend people, we'll just leave the violent, swearing, and drugs in while you play as a criminal. You know, the soft stuff. Not like that hard offensive satire!".
I've heard this argument thousands of times before, and I'm just not buying it. If you want to make offensive jokes, vulgar jokes, immature jokes, whatever. That's fine. But you can do all those things without also saying oppressive shit. I was watching a stream the other day when one of the many "joke characters" started spouting some transphobic shit. I don't want this shit in my video games. I want to be able to enjoy video games without hearing jokes made at the expense people who face a murder rate several times over the average.

Also, GTA's sexism problem runs much deeper than the tongue-in-cheek humor. It's seen in almost every representation and reference to women. The game makes it very clearly what the role of women in the GTA universe is, and it's not a good one.

Edit : This essay on satire and "punching down" somewhat echoes where I'm coming from.

Minamu

Probably asked a thousand times but is there any word on console differences performance wise etc? Or a word on a Digital Foundry article before its release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom