• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard this argument thousands of times before, and I'm just not buying it. If you want to make offensive jokes, vulgar jokes, immature jokes, whatever. That's fine. But you can do all those things without also saying oppressive shit. I was watching a stream the other day when one of the many "joke characters" started spouting some transphobic shit. I don't want this shit in my video games. I want to be able to enjoy video games without hearing jokes made at the expense people who face a murder rate several times over the average.

Also, GTA's sexism problem runs much deeper than the tongue-in-cheek humor. It's seen in almost every representation and reference to women. The game makes it very clearly what the role of women in the GTA universe is, and it's not a good one.

So, do you think it's possible to satirise transphobia, racism or sexism without characters acting or speaking in that way? Was the "joke character" someone who should be looked up to or reviled (ie how were they framed)?

Krusader

Neo Member
Probably asked a thousand times but is there any word on console differences performance wise etc? Or a word on a Digital Foundry article before its release?
Supposedly the two versions are basically identical. Bit of conflicting information as to specific framerates. That said, from the looks of things, it comes down to your choice of poison.

SmokyDave

I've heard this argument thousands of times before, and I'm just not buying it. If you want to make offensive jokes, vulgar jokes, immature jokes, whatever. That's fine. But you can do all those things without also saying oppressive shit. I was watching a stream the other day when one of the many "joke characters" started spouting some transphobic shit. I don't want this shit in my video games. I want to be able to enjoy video games without hearing jokes made at the expense people who face a murder rate several times over the average.

Also, GTA's sexism problem runs much deeper than the tongue-in-cheek humor. It's seen in almost every representation and reference to women. The game makes it very clearly what the role of women in the GTA universe is, and it's not a good one.
I want the option to play a videogame as a psychopathic, transphobic, racist, dolphin-punching, baby-chewing, shit head. I want to play as a bad, bad person doing bad, bad things. At least, that's what I want from a GTA game, anyway. It's one of the few games out there that I want to be offensive, in every possible way.

I'm not saying you're wrong to feel wronged, I'm just saying there are people out there that want this stuff. Like me.

Darklord

Banned

How is it oppressive? You play an adult game based on satire about 3 scumbag criminals and you don't think they might have something rude? Geez, I hope you never watch The Sopranos then. There's an entire arc about hunting down and killing a gay guy after he was found out. It's not oppressive it's based on reality, and in GTA's case it's over the top reality. This isn't a politically correct game and if anyone takes what it says seriously they need to grow up. This is also the series that one of the first to have a majority black cast in their game and based one of the GTA4 add-ons around a gay character and had his name in the title.

Hanmik

Just as GTA IV rebuilt New York City in impressive fashion, GTA V paints LA in beautiful tones befitting California's sunny skies and expansive vistas. The game simply requires more horsepower than New York's clustered streets did, but the engine holds up well, even on aging current-generation console hardware.

No current-gen open-world console game offers more beautiful views or more drastic lighting effects with such insane draw distances. GTA V is unparalleled in delivering such mouth-watering sunsets or midnight views of glimmering bridge lights on the rivers below. And the game does all this while juggling a larger variety of on-screen cars, with higher-polygon models, than GTA IV ever did.

At least on the PlayStation 3 version I tried, though the price for all this beauty is paid in framerate dips, messy anti-aliasing, ridiculous texture pop-in, and a reduction from the box's advertised "720p" resolution. A new version of the game on next-gen consoles or the PC would no doubt fix these issues and really set mouths drooling. As it is, Rockstar should be commended for duct-taping this mix of details and sacrifices while keeping the framerate tolerable and the glitch count to a minimum

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/gta-v/

the bolded makes me worried.. and even more excited for the DF article tommorow.

ekim

Poor UK:
137933969656318b2q.png

Has there been any word on which version is the superior version of GTAV between the PS3 and 360 versions?

Also, it the PS3 version native 720p?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I want the option to play a videogame as a psychopathic, transphobic, racist, dolphin-punching, baby-chewing, shit head. I want to play as a bad, bad person doing bad, bad things. At least, that's what I want from a GTA game, anyway. It's one of the few games out there that I want to be offensive, in every possible way.

I'm not saying you're wrong to feel wronged, I'm just saying there are people out there that want this stuff. Like me.

I must admit I feel the same. Because my personality is so different I love playing as scumbags in games and find it fun/interesting and even a release as such. Another example being Kane and Lynch, two of my favourite videogame characters who are despicable characters responsible for every single thing they get themselves into yet I enjoy their stories and even feel sorry for them in a way (especially in K&L2)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/gta-v/

the bolded makes me worried.. and even more excited for the DF article tommorow.

That's interesting. I've put in quite a bit of time into the PS3 version now and haven't noticed anything like that. I was specifically looking out for it as well as I find the PS3 version of GTA IV unplayable.

It's been a rock solid 25fps on my system. I'm typically the last person to defend a PS3 version of a multi-platform game. Perhaps I'm going blind.

SmokyDave

Poor UK:
http://abload.de/img/137933969656318b2q.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's CEX. They only sell second hand / recently stolen shit. I assume they've managed to get some early copies through personal orders and now they're preying on suckers.

[quote="Big_Al, post: 82125549"]I must admit I feel the same. Because my personality is so different I love playing as scumbags in games and find it fun/interesting and even a release as such. Another example being Kane and Lynch, two of my favourite videogame characters who are despicable characters responsible for every single thing they get themselves into yet I enjoy their stories and even feel sorry for them in a way (especially in K&L2)[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I fucking loved K&L2, predominantly because the characters were absolute fucking nutters, which made all the killing make sense.

Wasp

Anybody had their Shopto orders arrive?
Nope, but then again I really wasn't expecting to get it today, I thought there would be like a 10% chance of getting it today.

Tomorrow through if I excitedly get home from a long day at work, quickly open the front door and look down on the mat and there's no brown envelope sitting on the floor I'm going to be crushed.

Fedele

The scores so far:

The Escapist – 3.5/5
Polygon - 9.5/10
Eurogamer – 9/10
CVG – 10/10
IGN – 10/10
Joystiq – 4.5/5
OXM – 10/10
OPM -10/10
Edge – 10/10
StrategyInformer – 10/10
Kotaku – Yes
DigitalSpy – 5/5
Eurogamer.de – 10/10
GameInformer – 9.75/10
GamesVillage.it – 9.8/10
Destructoid – 9/10
GiantBomb – 5/5
Gamereactor – 10/10
Gamespot – 9/10
GodisaGeek – 10/10
Videogamer – 10/10
Akihabarablues – 100/100
Xbox 360 Achievements – 100/100
LaPS3.com – 100/100
Videogameszone.de – No score
Eurogamer.cz – 10/10
NowGamer – 9.5/10
USGamer – 4.5/5
Gamesurf.it – 9.5/10
Games.it – 10/10
FZ.se – 4/5

Source

Nope, but then again I really wasn't expecting to get it today, I thought there would be like a 10% chance of getting it today.

Tomorrow through if I excitedly get home from a long day at work, quickly open the front door and look down on the mat and there's no brown envelope sitting on the floor I'm going to be crushed.

It'll come bro it was sent Saturday it takes 1-2 business days.

Loudninja

It has all these problems, but they are not as prevalent as they say. I managed to encounter serious pop ups in models or textures 3-4 times in 30 hours. Most of the time the game looks and runs really great.
I think Ars just trying to compare it to PC version that does not exist yet.

Krusader

Neo Member
That's CEX. They only sell second hand / recently stolen shit. I assume they've managed to get some early copies through personal orders and now they're preying on suckers.
I am assuming 75 quid is steep.

Here in Oz a new release is around 90-110 retail. That said, I am finding that the price for games is increasingly falling to the $80 mark. Or free... I am trading in The Last of Us and Bioshock infinite to get GTA for nothing, which given the fact I can't manage to finish either of these games again (the story kept me going and now I know the outcome they lose their impact) seems like a great trade to me.

So an EB in Australia is handing out free "cocaine" for the midnight launch. How in the fuck did they think that was a good idea? A shit storm is coming.

They most likely had to snort it, considering all the targets doing 79 midnight launches

EB loosing 30bucks a copy.

Getting mine at 8am on way to work at a non midnight launch store.

Krusader

Neo Member
They most likely had to snort it, considering all the targets doing 79 midnight launches

EB loosing 30bucks a copy.
And yet, they refuse to price match untill they reopen in the morning because the midnight launch isn't the "Offical" release...

Shooting themselves in the foot really.

smr00

Banned
The scores so far:

The Escapist – 3.5/5
Polygon - 9.5/10
Eurogamer – 9/10
CVG – 10/10
IGN – 10/10
Joystiq – 4.5/5
OXM – 10/10
OPM -10/10
Edge – 10/10
StrategyInformer – 10/10
Kotaku – Yes
DigitalSpy – 5/5
Eurogamer.de – 10/10
GameInformer – 9.75/10
GamesVillage.it – 9.8/10
Destructoid – 9/10
GiantBomb – 5/5
Gamereactor – 10/10
Gamespot – 9/10
GodisaGeek – 10/10
Videogamer – 10/10
Akihabarablues – 100/100
LaPS3.com – 100/100
Eurogamer.cz – 10/10
NowGamer – 9.5/10
USGamer – 4.5/5
Gamesurf.it – 9.5/10
Games.it – 10/10
FZ.se – 4/5

Source
Somebody had to be that reviewer i suppose.

I couldn't even get through half of the review before clicking off it.

UrbanRats

Satire is a weak excuse for infusing misogynistic attitudes throughput your entire game (and series), with sprinkling of transphobic, racist, and otherwise fucked up attitudes.

I love GTA, but let's please not defend this stuff.

Lol, ok.
Guess shows like Always Sunny and Arrested Development should face the same judgment?

GTA makes fun of everything, and creates a disgusting and exaggerated version of the world as seen through the medias, of course it's satirical, and no, it's not just an excuse "to get away with it".

Karak

The scores so far:

The Escapist – 3.5/5
Polygon - 9.5/10
Eurogamer – 9/10
CVG – 10/10
IGN – 10/10
Joystiq – 4.5/5
OXM – 10/10
OPM -10/10
Edge – 10/10
StrategyInformer – 10/10
Kotaku – Yes
DigitalSpy – 5/5
Eurogamer.de – 10/10
GameInformer – 9.75/10
GamesVillage.it – 9.8/10
Destructoid – 9/10
GiantBomb – 5/5
Gamereactor – 10/10
Gamespot – 9/10
GodisaGeek – 10/10
Videogamer – 10/10
Akihabarablues – 100/100
LaPS3.com – 100/100
Eurogamer.cz – 10/10
NowGamer – 9.5/10
USGamer – 4.5/5
Gamesurf.it – 9.5/10
Games.it – 10/10
FZ.se – 4/5

Source

We gave it a buy recommendation as well. Review

Artex

Banned
So an EB in Australia is handing out free "cocaine" for the midnight launch. How in the fuck did they think that was a good idea? A shit storm is coming.

The problem would have come when I got to the counter and did a bump, only to find I just snorted baking powder or something.

Ban Puncher

I think I know which store that is. And their District Manager told them not to do that.

If it becomes common knowledge tomorrow, people will be shown the door.

Destroy all evidence so good people don't lose their jobs. But this is the internet so......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom