• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Guess my 91 Metacritic prediction was too low.

But that Escapist review does not shock me at all. Rockstar does not tread lightly these days. I knew there would be something, or many things, that were going to divide opinion somewhat. Their games are much more divisive now than back during the PS2 era.

The actual GameSpot review itself is very good, so far.
It is, and Carolyn enjoyed the game a lot. People are losing their minds on Gamespot for no apparent reason.

Karak

It has all these problems, but they are not as prevalent as they say. I managed to encounter serious pop ups in models or textures 3-4 times in 30 hours. Most of the time the game looks and runs really great.

Me either but its widely known that different systems see different technical levels of issues. So its probably was prevalent to them.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/gta-v/

the bolded makes me worried.. and even more excited for the DF article tommorow.

That doesn't worry me one bit. Talking about consoles that are not even on the market and for PC which you need to have a decent rig to run it better than on a seven year console, strikes me as him being a PC apologist. Seen several other reviews where they even didn't mention this, which means it's not even an issue

I hate to hear that they kept the standard GTA mission structure in tact, though I am glad that they added RDR's "skip mission" feature.

Little worried about some of the character stuff they described though. Will totally rent if I can find it at a Redbox tomorrow.

Wait is the Escapist review suggesting that The Godfather Pt 2 isn't good? I'm FINE with people giving negative reviews to popular games. But that shit is just crazy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/gta-v/

the bolded makes me worried.. and even more excited for the DF article tommorow.

Hmm, "a reduction from the box's advertised "720p" resolution"... Dynamic resolution, then? Hope it's not too noticeable.

It's been a rock solid 25fps on my system. I'm typically the last person to defend a PS3 version of a multi-platform game. Perhaps I'm going blind.

25? Most people have been saying it's pretty close to 30 fps most of the time. A baseline framerate of 25 fps sure would be disappointing.

SRTtoZ

So I just payed off my GTA5 preorder at Gamestop. The employee told me to show up at 8pm, 'finalize receipts' happen at 10pm, then they close and you can buy it at midnight. How stupid is that.

Truespeed

From DF in a article entitled "What Grand Theft Auto 4 did for us"

"This is probably the first game we've done where both platforms have been running in parallel", Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies told Computer and Video Games, all but confirming our long-standing theory that GTA4 was developed on Xbox 360 first, primarily because dev kits were available that much earlier than they were for PS3. "There's very, very little difference in the development state of them both. They're both very similar. It would be hard to tell them apart."

Backing up Benzies' viewpoint, the world of multi-format development has moved on massively since GTA4's debut in 2008. Where the Xbox 360 once dominated the vast majority of cross-platform titles with tangible image and performance-based advantages, game-making techniques have evolved considerably over the last five years, with developers embracing a multi-core approach that favours both Xbox 360's six CPU hardware threads and the PS3's six available SPU satellite processors - not to mention the six available x86 CPUs available in next-gen consoles. That said, Rockstar has apparently used the PS3 build for all its presentations and demos we've heard about thus far and everything we've seen suggests that the sub-HD resolution of GTA4 no longer applies - this game is running at native 720p. Whether that means it's the version to go for remains to be seen - and it's something we'll report back on as soon as can, using the evolved tools and methodology that its predecessor inspired us to develop so many years ago.

Hip Hop

So I just payed off my GTA5 preorder at Gamestop. The employee told me to show up at 8pm, 'finalize receipts' happen at 10pm, then they close and you can buy it at midnight. How stupid is that.

Yeah, thats how it's always been with midnight launches at Gamestop. Big reason why I stopped going there but they do that otherwise it would be a madhouse at launch. 300+ people waiting gets messy, so that system works best.

smr00

Banned
That's pretty much how every GS midnight launch has worked here for years.

You go in and get your receipt marked and either sit around or come back. I always go get it marked and come back at like 12:00 and wait till i see a bunch of people leaving and just walk in. You avoid annoying people and are in and out. Since they are making a big party out of this i might head over at like 11:00.

Mutliple people with the PS3 version said they're overstating the problems.

Most people on GAF are wrong when it comes to the technical side of games, especially on consoles, and especially with big titles.

I'm more inclined to believe that article than random GAF posters, to be honest. People here will still tell you Skyrim or Far Cry 3 are fine on consoles.

Given the anicent hardware, I think technical failures are more likely than not.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, "a reduction from the box's advertised "720p" resolution"... Dynamic resolution, then? Hope it's not too noticeable.

25? Most people have been saying it's pretty close to 30 fps most of the time. A baseline framerate of 25 fps sure would be disappointing.

30fps would probably be right. I'm being overly cautious in my judgement. It looks great and runs smooth consistently with no screen tearing.

The use of dynamic resolution could be employed. It'd make sense if it is. Sometimes aliasing becomes noticeable, sometimes the game looks almost next-gen. Either way it's a very good looking game and its use isn't overly noticeable (I'm playing on a 58inch TV with my couch about a meter away). This isn't like the PS3 version Skyrim or Read Dead Redemption; both of which look incredibly poor on the PS3 sku.

Since there isn't anything from Digital Foundry yet and I've been avoiding streams, what's the performance like on PS3?

edit: Well, fuck. That's what I get for not reading before I post

SRTtoZ

That's pretty much how every GS midnight launch has worked here for years.

You go in and get your receipt marked and either sit around or come back. I always go get it marked and come back at like 12:00 and wait till i see a bunch of people leaving and just walk in. You avoid annoying people and are in and out. Since they are making a big party out of this i might head over at like 11:00.

Yea true. No matter how much I'm complaining ill still be there come midnight. I mean, its GTA5 for fucks sake.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Then don't buy the game. Then it isn't in your video games.

Everyone is happy.

EDIT: does your opinion include other forms of media such as movies and books?
There's no way I'm skipping out on this game, haha. I can enjoy GTA while also not-enjoying specific elements of it. GTA is a series made for, by, and starring men, and so it's no surprise that sexism is employed for cheap laughs. Women and trans people are primarily treated as rhetorical punching bags for dudes to smirk at. I love GTA, but I don't want this shit in my games.

How is it oppressive? You play an adult game based on satire about 3 scumbag criminals and you don't think they might have something rude? Geez, I hope you never watch The Sopranos then. There's an entire arc about hunting down and killing a gay guy after he was found out. It's not oppressive it's based on reality, and in GTA's case it's over the top reality. This isn't a politically correct game and if anyone takes what it says seriously they need to grow up. This is also the series that one of the first to have a majority black cast in their game and based one of the GTA4 add-ons around a gay character and had his name in the title.
You say it shouldn't be taken seriously, but that it's based on real world social conditions...? This stuff is oppressive exactly because its humor exploits real world oppression / bigotry and uses it as a weapon to further mock a marginalized group. And again, the satire excuse is thin. There are thousands of critiques of racist, sexist, transphobic "humor" online. They're available for anyone to look up. I don't want to go around in circles in this thread, especially when there are already multiple other threads about how this game has sexism issues. I just recommend that people take this stuff seriously and try to not get defensive about it. There's many reasons reviewers and critics see fit to bring this stuff up, and maybe we should listen. I'd like to enjoy this thread, but much like GTA, it's harder when sexism is excused and given a pass.

Loudninja

Most people on GAF are wrong when it comes to the technical side of games, especially on consoles, and especially with big titles.

I'm more inclined to believe that article than random GAF posters, to be honest. People here will still tell you Skyrim or Far Cry 3 are fine on consoles.

Given the anicent hardware, I think technical failures are more likely than not.
Ok you posted this several times now we get it gaf sucks with tech apparently.

Krusader

Neo Member
Since there isn't anything from Digital Foundry yet and I've been avoiding streams, what's the performance like on PS3?
By all accounts, the two versions of the game are basically identical.

It would seem there is a bit of contension on the framerate for the ps3, but what I have seen is amazing.

EDIT: There needs to be a prize to whoever manages to read the entire Escapist review... God that was rubbish. I get that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that was beyond a joke...

Every GTA game since San Adreas, I've hit this moment of piercing, insane hype, followed (while playing the game) of a brief period of disappointment when the hype falls and I realized it's another GTA game and R* over-hyped it while being vauge. Then it levels out and I have fun

I think I hit the disappointment early this time. After watching streams and reading reviews, you figure out that it really is GTA again and you have played several games very similar. Looking forward to grabbing this tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom