• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a little time lapse gif.
gtavtimelapse2_by_xbulletz-d6mjf2x.gif

Darklord

Banned
You say it shouldn't be taken seriously, but that it's based on real world social conditions...?

Do you not understand what satire is? Because I don't think you do.

Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, and society itself, into improvement. Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon and as a tool to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society.

So far GTA V has had 30 reviews which puts it on a 97 Metacritic score.

GTA IV, in the end, had 81 reviews which puts it on a 98 Metacritic score.

If GTA IV stands above GTA V by the end of all the accounted reviews it will be somewhat of a joke.

Jim

Playing the PS3 version for a couple days now and the framerate feels like it's at 30fps most of the time with some dips here and there. I have no complaints at all, it's one damn fine looking game.

Did anyone mention the character models? Rockstar did a great job with character "imperfections" like fat, love handles, bags under characters eyes, wrinkles, asymmetrical features, stuff like that.

UrbanRats

There's no way I'm skipping out on this game, haha. I can enjoy GTA while also not-enjoying specific elements of it. GTA is a series made for, by, and starring men, and so it's no surprise that sexism is employed for cheap laughs. Women and trans people are primarily treated as rhetorical punching bags for dudes to smirk at. I love GTA, but I don't want this shit in my games.

You say it shouldn't be taken seriously, but that it's based on real world social conditions...? This stuff is oppressive exactly because its humor exploits real world oppression / bigotry and uses it as a weapon to further mock a marginalized group. And again, the satire excuse is thin. There are thousands of critiques of racist, sexist, transphobic "humor" online. They're available for anyone to look up. I don't want to go around in circles in this thread, especially when there are already multiple other threads about how this game has sexism issues. I just recommend that people take this stuff seriously and try to not get defensive about it. There's many reasons reviewers and critics see fit to bring this stuff up, and maybe we should listen. I'd like to enjoy this thread, but much like GTA, it's harder when sexism is excused and given a pass.

I don't like the implication that disagreeing with your take on GTA's satire, means being defensive or not taking the issue seriously.
I don't think GTA's satire is always on point, but the large majority of it is so on the nose on where it's going, that is really hard to miss the fact that it aims in every direction (and infact it usually aims at people in power).
Most of it is leveled at republicans and rich spoiled people.
The examples brought up in the Gamespot review are no different.

Again, shows like Always Sunny in Philly and Arrested Development do this constantly, although much more subtly and in a better way, however the intent is awfully similar.

Playing the PS3 version for a couple days now and the framerate feels like it's at 30fps most of the time with some dips here and there. I have no complaints at all, it's one damn fine looking game.

Did anyone mention the character models? Rockstar did a great job with character "imperfections" like fat, love handles, bags under characters eyes, wrinkles, asymmetrical features, stuff like that.

What kind of PS3 do you have? Phat or Slim?

If GTA IV stands above GTA V by the end of all the accounted reviews it will be somewhat of a joke.

reason I predicted 97 was for the "activist" review

ie a 98-99 but brought down by such a review. reason being, if someone things game is overrated then a "fair" review score doesnt "address" the issue (since it wont dent the score). its necessary to be overly harsh to make a difference

nikos

Can it be upscaled to 1080p on the PS3?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I just recommend that people take this stuff seriously and try to not get defensive about it. There's many reasons reviewers and critics see fit to bring this stuff up, and maybe we should listen. I'd like to enjoy this thread, but much like GTA, it's harder when sexism is excused and given a pass.

Awww, man. I know you weren't addressing my post, but I wasn't getting defensive, I was interested! :)

Derrick01

Banned

It's really hard to get a 98 with so many reviewers now, even more so when they're docking points for completely dumb shit that people weren't doing in 2008 like whining about misogyny in every corner of every street and whining about people doing bad things in a game called grand theft auto.

Hunter S.

More hype and higher review scores for most games that came out early in the gen.

It's really hard to get a 98 with so many reviewers now, even more so when they're docking points for completely dumb shit that people weren't doing in 2008 like whining about misogyny in every corner of every street and whining about people doing bad things in a game called grand theft auto.

Has 5 years really made such a difference in the gaming community?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Yep. "The characters aren't likeable!" Well, no shit. They're criminals, what did you expect? Anyways, now it's really time for me to sit out of this thread. It's going to make the day miserably slow if I stay in here, lol.

bitoriginal

The problem is that there isn't much room for manoeuvre between 98 and 100.

It would be pointless whining if they weren't reviewing a direct sequel of a game and docking it instead for being more of the same. The expectation that GTAV would review better than GTAIV is crazypants but that's not on the reviewers.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yep. "The characters aren't likeable!" Well, no shit. They're criminals, what did you expect? Anyways, now it's really time for me to sit out of this thread. It's going to make the day miserably slow if I stay in here, lol.

CJ was a criminal too, but I loved that dude.

If the main characters aren't likeable, then that's a real problem.
They can be cold-blooded gangster badasses, but you still need to want to play as them and you need to be able to identify with the character's emotions and subsequent actions.

If they are nothing but stone-faced assholes with no emotions beyond "GRR FUCK" then i'm going to be sorely disappointed.

So there seem to be a bevy of neat-o cheats to play around with. I was wrong. This crow has a lot of feathers in it.

Now I have to wait a good long while until I can get this game. Enjoy it for me.

ufo8mycat

Most people on GAF are wrong when it comes to the technical side of games, especially on consoles, and especially with big titles.

I'm more inclined to believe that article than random GAF posters, to be honest. People here will still tell you Skyrim or Far Cry 3 are fine on consoles.

Given the anicent hardware, I think technical failures are more likely than not.

You have to remember people who play on consoles also aren't sensitive to graphical flaws etc and it doesn't impact their game at all, which I think is a good thing.

I am one of those where whether I am playing at 1080p, or 720p, or 30fps or 60fps or low-res textures, or ultra quality textures, it makes no difference, I enjoy the game at the same level either way.

That's why when I read these technical comparisons with sites nit-picking about texture detail etc, it's sort of funny to me, because I get the same experience either way and aren't sensitive to it.

And theres many here I am sure who are the same, so when I site says this game as technical flaws, it really doesn't matter to most people, as they aren't sensitive to these things as much and doesn't impact their game at all.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
CJ was a criminal too, but I loved that dude.

If the main characters aren't likeable, then that's a real problem.
They can be cold-blooded gangster badasses, but you still need to want to play as them and you need to be able to identify with the character's emotions and subsequent actions.

If they are nothing but stone-faced assholes with no emotions beyond "GRR FUCK" then i'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Well, I had no problems with the other characters, either. I liked them myself. In fact, Trevor is supposed to be a psycho basically, but I'm most looking forward to playing as him because of that fact.

Theecliff

Banned
Anyone else who hadn't ventured near the spoiler thread give in and watch a few reviews today? This is one of the first games where I've decided to stay away from actual gameplay before launch and I've finally given in the day before release - I'm not sure whether I should feel bad for myself or not.

I think those snippets of reviews are all I'm gonna watch for now, hopefully I won't be tempted to venture further before tomorrow. If the reviews and footage in them are anything to go by, we all have very good reasons to be insatiably hyped for tomorrow.

danwarb

I get sucked in by the hype for each GTA. Then I play the games, drive around the map for a bit and lose all interest in the characters and all the clumsy gameplay outside of driving and listening to the soundtrack.

Top down GTA was best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom