• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, I had no problems with the other characters, either. I liked them myself. In fact, Trevor is supposed to be a psycho basically, but I'm most looking forward to playing as him because of that fact.

Then we probably play these games for different reasons.
I like to identify with the characters, and when they are written and acted well, that's going to be no problem.

I could easily identify with CJ, I couldn't with Niko Bellic.

UrbanRats

CJ was a criminal too, but I loved that dude.

If the main characters aren't likeable, then that's a real problem.
They can be cold-blooded gangster badasses, but you still need to want to play as them and you need to be able to identify with the character's emotions and subsequent actions.

If they are nothing but stone-faced assholes with no emotions beyond "GRR FUCK" then i'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Sterling said they're likable pieces of shit, so there.
I guess it's a very subjective thing.

Tobor

Get the PC version when it comes out, there will 100% for sure be a mod that allows that.

Yeah, I'm definitely double dipping, it's just irritating they don't add it themselves.

I'm sure there is a first person view when riding in cabs again, which is even more frustrating, as it means it can run like that in the engine.

Loxley

Well, I'm bailing out of the review thread. As predicted, it's starting to become filed with arguments about whether or not the game is overrated, how many journalists were money-hatted by Rockstar, etc.

I'm just fucking happy the game is almost here, bring it the fuck on.

llamarawk

So I bought PSN version and am in California. Anyone in New Zealand or Australia or someplace that downloads the PSN version let us know how it performs? Or are the only PSN versions available in Europe/NA?

Cheddahz

Banned
Just made it so UPS can text me updates about my shipment, one reason to not have to sit in front of my computer all day

Any news on an iFruit app for android yet?

Kind of makes no sense for there not to be right?

It has an i in it, so it won't be on Android

Honestly though, it's weird it is not out for Android

cdkee

Banned
Well, I'm bailing out of the review thread. As predicted, it's starting to become filed with arguments about whether or not the game is overrated, how many journalists were money-hatted by Rockstar, etc.

Yup,totally. Can't wait

PureGone

Banned
Metacritic predictions

MormaPope - 100
Cisce - 100
Screaming Meat - 100
LNBL - 100
weekend_warrior - 99
flyinpiranha - 99
More_Badass - 99
brickarts295 - 99
kazebyaka - 99
Certinty - 99
Marleyman - 99
kev25b - 99
Rembrandt - 98/99
RadioActiveLobster 98
Gaz_RB - 98
Alienous - 98
MetalGuardian - 98
Macro. - 98
Spine_Ripper - 98
Spazznid - 98
BigWeather - 98
sdornan - 98
-Yeti - 98
Amagon - 98
AOC83 - 98
red731 - 98
waru - 98
ViviOggi - 98
Krusader - 98
Alcoholikaust - 98
Alchemist - 98
scarlet - 97
Ridesh - 97
antitrop - 97
DukeBobby - 97
Bunta - 97
Tricky I Shadow - 97
Count of Monte Sawed-Off - 97
revolverjgw - 97
Pagusas - 97
likewiise - 97
CountBlackule - 97
The Dutch Slayer - 97
Punished_Snake - 97
SuperSah - 97
RoKKeR - 97
cleveridea - 97
ieatzombies - 97
Falifax - 97
astrogamer - 97
Bullza2o - 96
~Kinggi~ - 96
dreamfall - 96
reelbigtink - 96
Avon Barksdale - 96
Prompto - 96
QuantumBro - 96
Dark_AnNiaLatOr - 96
Rastafarian42 - 96
bmdubya - 96
Radec - 96
Undead - 96
NEOPARADIGM - 96
DeadlyVirus - 96
NotTheGuyYouKill - 96
PureGone - 96
Cheddahz - 96
Garibaldi - 96
FuzzyNorman - 96
Hanmik - 96
JLeack - 96
Plasmid - 95/96
Dug - 95
Papercuts - 95
jacobs34 - 95
edgardavids - 95
Represent. - 95
FStop7 - 95
gosox333 - 95
TheLucifer - 95
Canis lupus - 95
miDnIghtEr20C - 94
UrbanRats - 94
GAMERG0D - 94
deli2000 - 94
KAP151 - 94
Zukuu - 94
Derrick01 - 93
SkyTurnsRed - 93
Gizmowned - 93
Sub_Level - 92
spats - 92
Fjordson - 91
Fracas - 90
Hoo-doo - 90
bonesmccoy - 88
Fine Ham Abounds - 42 lol

Have to wait till tomorrow to make sure all the reviews get in

ShogunX

Been playing for about 20 minutes, the opening to the game is pretty great. The series still retains that feeling that you are taking part in something epic when playing.

When I am able the first thing I am doing in GTAV is going to try and get a selfie while in a massive police chase. Just hope I can pull it off before getting run over or blasted

Fjordson

Sterling said they're likable pieces of shit, so there.
I guess it's a very subjective thing.
Yeah, fairly divisive it seems (like most of Rockstar's characters this gen I guess).

One review, can't remember which, said Trevor was his least favourite and felt somewhat out of place next to Michael and Trevor. Whereas Sterling and a few others loved him.

I said this in the review thread, but it feels like me and my wife's reactions to Breaking Bad. She stopped watching it because she couldn't get into any of the characters. She disliked all of them since they're all sort of scumbags. No one is really "clean". Yet I find the show pretty fascinating because of that and can't get enough of it. Just different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Several reviews seem to differ as to how likeable the characters are, actually. One refers to them as irredeemable, one as anti-heroes.

One review mentioned inconsistent characterizations. That's gonna bug me a lot more than hating the 3 guys as people.

Cheddahz

Banned
I remember when the first trailer came out back in 2011 and I thought Michael sounded like a older version of Tommy from Vice City...

I get sucked in by the hype for each GTA. Then I play the games, drive around the map for a bit and lose all interest in the characters and all the clumsy gameplay outside of driving and listening to the soundtrack.

Top down GTA was best.

tumblr_mic5rpa4Ff1rikv46o1_r1_250.gif

ieatzombies

Cheers! Ah it feels great not to even touch that thread. Just me and the game minus the usual review arguments. Haven't went in this blind for a game in a while.

Derrick01

Banned
Several reviews seem to differ as to how likeable the characters are, actually. One refers to them as irredeemable, one as anti-heroes.

One review mentioned inconsistent characterizations. That's gonna bug me a lot more than hating the 3 guys as people.

I only read a couple of reviews but Kotaku said they weren't as interesting as Niko (I laughed at that). Really when I think about it I find myself either not remembering how they were or just not caring about any of the main characters in any of the GTA games. They've always been kind of dull. It's usually the side characters who make a bigger impression.

cdkee

Banned
Don't think I'm going back in the review thread. Way too much nitpicking over words.

I've watched a few reviews, am hyped, and am just going to enjoy the experience. I freaking loved GTAIV and played through it multiple times so I don't doubt I'll absolutely love V.

ieatzombies

It's just as good as GTAIV (according to "professional gamers")!!!!!

I only read a couple of reviews but Kotaku said they weren't as interesting as Niko (I laughed at that). Really when I think about it I find myself either not remembering how they were or just not caring about any of the main characters in any of the GTA games. They've always been kind of dull. It's usually the side characters who make a bigger impression.
I have no recollection of IV. Rockstar controls the open world landscape and does it well. IV was just..forgettable for me. The online is the only thing I touched when I finished the storyline. It's amazing to hear they went back to SA ground. Can't wait.

dorn.

Just picked it up at a local Saturn for 55€, holy shit I forgot what a big deal a GTA launch is. I don't think I've ever seen so many random people buying the same thing, really mixed crowd too.

Fjordson

I liked Niko, but that surprises me quite a bit also. I've watched a few hours of the story (I know, I'm weak) and all three feel pretty unique and well-written to me. More personality I think than Niko.

Maybe it comes down to more mechanical / structural issues? That these three characters have higher ceilings than Niko as far as being interesting protagonists, but they aren't given enough time to shine because they're sharing the spotlight. Might take a game or two for R* to perfect the multiple protagonists thing.

Excellent, much obliged.

Oh, and a quick update to all the PSN download speed whiners - I got home from work today and downloaded the entirety of GTA's 18 gigs in 48 minutes flat.

You must have a good connection, not everyone is so lucky, I know myself that it would be touch and go whether I could manage 18GB in the 33 hours of preload time available.

Now that you mention it, I think Marston is the only Rockstar protag whose name I've never forgotten. I have a weak spot for open world games as sandboxes and frequently forget whole campaigns. It's the worlds I remember.

Edit: Well, and CJ, but how do you forget a name like CJ.

So is there going to be no preload in the US at all? This is bull shit. I thought it would already be up. Wtf Sony? I would of bought a disc if I knew that. Lame!

Derrick01

Banned
Now that you mention it, I think Marston is the only Rockstar protag whose name I've never forgotten. I have a weak spot for open world games as sandboxes and frequently forget whole campaigns. It's the worlds I remember.

Edit: Well, and CJ, but how do you forget a name like CJ.

I think that's partially because they're all the same character. Con or Ex-con trying to live a better life but eventually gets pulled back into the game and murders 4,000 people but has the decency to at least whine about it during every other mission.

aravuus

Excellent, much obliged.

Oh, and a quick update to all the PSN download speed whiners - I got home from work today and downloaded the entirety of GTA's 18 gigs in 48 minutes flat.

Lucky. My copy's downloading at 1-2mbps, it's supposed to be somewhere around 10mbps.

Well there's still almost six hours to go so it should be finished by the time it unlocks. Thank god I got uni tomorrow at 11am, I get to play the whole night!

antitrop

Ready for a day at work, reading this thread and playing FFXIV tonight, and then one short shift at work tomorrow morning...

Then I'll be playing for 3 days straight.

Milchjon

3-4h in, the only disappointment are the radio stations, for the same reason as in GTA IV.

Everything else is virtually flawless, IMO.

Stunning achievement.

(For context: I hated GTA IV besides the main story missions)

Marleyman

Banned
3-4h in, the only disappointment are the radio stations, for the same reason as in GTA IV.

Everything else is virtually flawless, IMO.

Stunning achievement.

(For context: I hated GTA IV besides the main story missions)

I am not sure what you want from the radio stations; they deliver from what I have seen. What about them do you not like?

Marston, Jimmy, and CJ are the only R* protags worth a damn. Luis was ok, as well, though really only because of his dynamic with tony. Everyone else sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom