• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
The alternate control scheme swaps L2/R2 with L1 and R1.

In the alternate control scheme, does brake/accelerate also change over to L1/R1? Or is it just the aim/shoot controls.

This would be kind of a dealbreaker for me! I'd be pretty unhappy having to choose between driving with L1/R1 or shooting with L2/R2.

Marleyman

Banned
Ready for a day at work, reading this thread and playing FFXIV tonight, and then one short shift at work tomorrow morning...

Then I'll be playing for 3 days straight.

I am at work..sorta working but mainly just trying to keep my hype level from showing at work. I will have it in my Xbox tonight around 1pm EST; 3 days straight for me as well.

Fjordson

Wow, discussions ablaze today about torture bigotry, transphobia and misogyny. It's a GTA launch alright.

Ready for a day at work, reading this thread and playing FFXIV tonight, and then one short shift at work tomorrow morning...

Then I'll be playing for 3 days straight.
Dude, how is FFIV? I'm still into WoW, but am always down for new MMO's.

Hindle

Banned
I think that's partially because they're all the same character. Con or Ex-con trying to live a better life but eventually gets pulled back into the game and murders 4,000 people but has the decency to at least whine about it during every other mission.

Yea, it's the only character Dan Houser seems able to create.

rezn0r

Wow, discussions ablaze today about torture bigotry, transphobia and misogyny. It's a GTA launch alright.

I love it, give it a shot. And I'm having the same exact day/week as antitrop. Ha!

SmokyDave

I think that's partially because they're all the same character. Con or Ex-con trying to live a better life but eventually gets pulled back into the game and murders 4,000 people but has the decency to at least whine about it during every other mission.

I'm hoping that last part will be absent this time. I don't need the hand-wringing to make myself feel better, I'm perfectly happy being an amoral psychopath.

Milchjon

I am not sure what you want from the radio stations; they deliver from what I have seen. What about them do you not like?

Repetition, and GTA IV/V radio stations always feel like they try to appeal to hardcore fans of the genre too much. Like they care too much about music geek cred.

In VC/SA, the stations all had a certain mass appeal. I could listen to pretty much every one of them. In IV/V, about half of them are worthless to me, even though I don't hate the genre.

Fjordson

Yea, it's the only character Dan Houser seems able to create.
Surely he doesn't only write the main characters, so I don't think that's true.

I think it's more to do with the genre. Sort of like the "one hero to save us all" in fantasy. A gangster getting pulled back in is a reliable starting point.

Not saying they can't get more creative in the future, though. Some of the best fantasy these days does a nice job of subverting that whole ultimate hero trope.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Probably the types of music it offers. There's not much there if you're a rock or metal fan.

I'm the definition of a musical snob, but that goes out of the window with GTA for some reason. I hate Queen, for instance, but it really works in Michael's trailer.

I think it's more to do with the genre. Sort of like the "one hero to save us all" in fantasy. A gangster getting pulled back in is a reliable starting point.

Not saying they can't get more creative in the future, though. Some of the best fantasy these days does a nice job of subverting that whole ultimate hero trope.

+1

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm bailing out of the review thread. As predicted, it's starting to become filed with arguments about whether or not the game is overrated, how many journalists were money-hatted by Rockstar, etc.

I'm just fucking happy the game is almost here, bring it the fuck on.

Damn straight. Happy GTA V release day!

In the alternate control scheme, does brake/accelerate also change over to L1/R1? Or is it just the aim/shoot controls.

This would be kind of a dealbreaker for me! I'd be pretty unhappy having to choose between driving with L1/R1 or shooting with L2/R2.

In the 'Alternate' control scheme the driving controls (throttle/brake) remain on the L2/R2, only the aim/shoot on-foot controls change to L1/R1

ieatzombies

I am not sure what you want from the radio stations; they deliver from what I have seen. What about them do you not like?

Probably the types of music it offers. There's not much there if you're a rock or metal fan.
For where my tastes are at now, having tangerine dream and a more 80s influenced original score is completely hitting home with me. Looking forward to radio and the score. I think all of these components running together is going to be a dream for me. Different strokes. I do enjoy good metal but with an added flavor to it. Deftones would fit right in with this game.

antitrop

Oh, it's absolutely fantastic. I haven't been able to put as much time into it as I would like to, only about 30 hours so far (and with GTA V tomorrow, not much more for a little while...).

I'm not a big fan of MMOs, but I did play a lot of WoW (got one character to Level 80), and Final Fantasy XIV delivers big time.

Marleyman

Banned

That is a legit complaint. I thought he meant more along the lines of how San Andreas, Vice City have that distinct soundtrack due to their time period. GTA IV, V are modern so things aren't going to be as iconic, so to speak.

smr00

Banned
I'm the definition of a musical snob, but that goes out of the window with GTA for some reason. I hate Queen, for instance, but it really works in Michael's trailer.

+1
Shocked.gif

Marleyman

Banned
Repetition, and GTA IV/V radio stations always feel like they try to appeal to hardcore fans of the genre too much. Like they care too much about music geek cred.

In VC/SA, the stations all had a certain mass appeal. I could listen to pretty much every one of them. In IV/V, about half of them are worthless to me, even though I don't hate the genre.

I hear ya; I noticed some of the stations have artists I have never even heard of. That worked to my benefit for IV as I got into electronic music and other genres because of it. I will have to play to have a proper view of GTA V's stations.

tfur

Dammit, the hype is getting to me. Should I get this game? I was not really blown away by gtaiv, but I did like RDR.

Has there been any news of the quality of the ps3 version?

Loudninja

Dammit, the hype is getting to me. Should I get this game? I was not really blown away by gtaiv, but I did like RDR.

Jim posted his impressions
Playing the PS3 version for a couple days now and the framerate feels like it's at 30fps most of the time with some dips here and there. I have no complaints at all, it's one damn fine looking game.

Did anyone mention the character models? Rockstar did a great job with character "imperfections" like fat, love handles, bags under characters eyes, wrinkles, asymmetrical features, stuff like that.

Seems to be what most are saying.

Gaz_RB

"Should I get the game?"

Lmao you're in the GTAV OT!

You're gonna get the game ;)

Lots, they seem to be very close to each other and both versions perform a lot better than IV, especially in comparison to the PS3's version of IV vs V.

Derrick01

Banned
This is the most disappointing aspect of the game for me so far. There's not one station I like.

Yeah when I looked at the list I came away thinking it's much closer to 4 than Vice City/San Andreas in that aspect. But I do think it has a better list than 4, where I barely knew any song outside of the rock station and that one Kanye song they used. At least I know most of the songs in the classic west coast hip hop station.

We'll have to see how the talk stations turn out too. That was another incredibly weak showing in 4.

Queen and hate in the same sentence? I'm going to have an aneurism.

No metal station sucks, I do like most of the licensed stuff in the tracklist though. Might be one of the few games where I listen to every station.

Hindle

Banned

Fair point I suppose.

The Franklyn character looks to be the most interesting lead to come from Rockstar in a long time. I'm not sure if Houser wrote him but either way it's a step in the right direction.

Great so I awake to more confusion than ever. I have it pre ordered for the 360.

What system am I supposed to get this for? What do i do install the 1st disc, not the second?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom