• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else having trouble signing into the iFruit app?

I did.. it was annoying.

Couple things: It seems to register spaces. iOS auto completes my email but it adds a space at the end, so fix that space. Also, it's just weird. It worked like 4/10 times for me, and then logged me out constantly. Also, dont open the Social Club app in your computer browser at the same time

So I just went to payoff my copy at gamestop, and there were already about twenty people sitting out front in chairs. I've done midnight releases for a couple of games, but have never seen people hours before the game was released out front, at least not where I live.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sure everyone is lying but you of course.

What reason would I have to make this up? The framerate during the intro mission was pretty bad, and clearly not close to 30 fps much of the time.

Why must you make me sad? :(

Well, now that I'm just walking around in the city a bit it does seem to be pretty much a solid 30 fps. So it's definitely much, much better than the PS3 version of IV. And I'm guessing that will also hold true out on the countryside. The really bad drops I've seen so far have been while driving in the middle of the city with a lot of cars around. And again, it looks much better than IV.

Ateron

PS3.

And after playing a bit more, the people saying this game is a solid 30 fps with just some slight dips are frankly full of crap. It is 30 fps occasionally, but it seems to be closer to 20 fps more than that. At least while driving in the city with a lot of cars around, which is most of what I've done so far. I would honestly say it's as bad as GTA IV much of the time. It does look a lot better, of course, but it doesn't really seem to run better when there's a lot going on. That said, it does reach around 30 fps when there's less going on, which certainly couldn't be said about IV!

Yesterday I was asking about the performance and no one would give me a straight answer. "It's almost identical" was the most common one. Now I know what "almost" means.

I'll only have the game by tomorrow but these kinds of impressions worry me. GTA IV was a blurry mess with piss poor IQ and performance on ps3. I was hoping this time it would be different. And if the game has the same input lag IV had, then the new and improved aiming system is not gonna help much.

Don't wanna sound like a Debbie Downer but Rockstar is not exactly known for reaching performance parity with the ps3. LA Noire doesn't have much going on and Max Payne 3 is quite linear, so they shouldn't be taken as a counter example of this.

Got it.

iYQWUl465DLvt.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yesterday I was asking about the performance and no one would give me a straight answer. "It's almost identical" was the most common one. Now I know what "almost" means.

I'll only have the game by tomorrow but these kinds of impressions worry me. GTA IV was a blurry mess with piss poor IQ and performance on ps3. I was hoping this time it would be different. And if the game has the same input lag IV had, then the new and improved aiming system is not gonna help much.

Don't wanna sound like a Debbie Downer but Rockstar is not exactly known for reaching performance parity with the ps3. LA Noire doesn't have much going on and Max Payne 3 is quite linear, so they shouldn't be taken as a counter example of this.

It looks pretty damn good (for an open-world current-gen title), and the IQ isn't even close to the atrocity of IV. It just doesn't run at a perfect 30 fps at all times like some have been claiming. I'm not sure it goes all the way down to 20 fps, but it sure felt like it at times.

DukeBobby

It looks pretty damn good (for an open-world current-gen title), and the IQ isn't even close to the atrocity of IV. It just doesn't run at a perfect 30 fps at all times like some have been claiming. I'm not sure it goes all the way down to 20 fps, but it sure felt like it at times.

I don't think anyone has claimed that it runs at a perfect 30fps. Everyone I've seen has mentioned framerate drops.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got done with my 3 hour night class. That dragged like hell but now nothing stand in my way, bring on midnight.

Wait for the digital foundry comparison then.

d00d3n

Before going to bed I will give this advice to presumptive buyers: avoid the PSN version. I am sure that reviewers/digital foundry were served nice bluray copies that utilize streaming from the hard drive and the disc drive at the same time, but the psn version clearly has pop in. Street lights and road signs pop in all the time. But also smaller buildings and other random stuff. Considering the digital nature of the game, there is no quick fix like the "avoid installing disc 2" thing on 360. Rockstar might fix this down the road, but who knows, maybe the PC version is out by then. Get yourself a disc based copy of the game or wait for PC.

Loudninja

I don't think anyone has claimed that it runs at a perfect 30fps. Everyone I've seen has mentioned framerate drops.
Yeah I think alot of people said 25 to 30.

Before going to bed I will give this advice to presumptive buyers: avoid the PSN version. I am sure that reviewers/digital foundry were served nice bluray copies that utilize streaming from the hard drive and the disc drive at the same time, but the psn version clearly has pop in. Street lights and road signs pop in all the time. But also smaller buildings and other random stuff. Considering the digital nature of the game, there is no quick fix like the "avoid installing disc 2" thing on 360. Rockstar might fix this down the road, but who knows, maybe the PC version is out by then. Get yourself a disc based copy of the game or wait for PC.
Make a topic to warn people.

Thanks, Anyone seeing this sort of performance on the 360 version?

The game hovers in the 20s on the 360 version too don't think for one second this is a PS3 thing. I played a few hours on the 360 version and it was definitely noticeable; especially when driving. It's not annoying to say the least and take it from me, a guy who'll spend precious time trying to find the perfect settings on a PC game to get it running at a locked or near 60fps.

Ateron

Well, I wasn't expecting perfect 30 fps, of course. I was just worried cause it seems a lot like I would describe IV's performance, which was something that soured the experience for me. Can't wait for tomorrow, if this game is anything like San Andreas, it will occupy my spare time until ps4 launches. :)
Thanks for the impressions!

vilmer_

ibiIgYNrcNN0BY.gif

I'll find out soon enough :/

DukeBobby

Are you sure it's exclusive to the PSN version?

smr00

Banned
Thanks for the advice but ill take it with a grain of salt since nobody else has complained and i really don't see how it could be that much worse.

If it's that bad rockstar will have to patch it ASAP or they will have a massive shit storm coming their way.

Anyone stopping by taco bell after the midnight launch?
If i wanted to be attached to my toilet instead of my sofa i would.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Think I am going to pick up the guide on the way home. I don't usually bother with guides but since I bought the digital version I am kinda missing having a map to reference without having to have my laptop open next to me.

Jac_Solar

Can anyone comment on how much of the ocean is explorable? Is it just off the coast, or is it the entire thing? On the map, there's shallow looking water right next to the coast, and the rest is a regular blue color -- so, it seems like only the water next to the coast is explorable.

Honestly man if you have any 24 hour Walmart locations near you that might be a better choice. GameStop gets off on "Yo, dawg should've preordered"-artificial scarcity, whereas Walmart buys a shitload of product.

I'd be willing to bet Walmart has way less people.

Already got it paid in full at my local GS, but yeah I prob shoulda opted for Walmart instead. Hindsight 20/20 and all that.

ruxtpin

Banned
Man I hate growing up sometimes. Would love to hit a midnight launch, but I gotta' work tomorrow and need to save vacation days for later this year.

Loudninja

Are you sure it's exclusive to the PSN version?
Considering no one mention nay pop-up as bad as that and from the streams I never seen pop up that bad.

This is like the 3rd person that said this with the PSN version.

Thanks for the advice but ill take it with a grain of salt since nobody else has complained and i really don't see how it could be that much worse.

If it's that bad rockstar will have to patch it ASAP or they will have a massive shit storm coming their way.

If i wanted to be attached to my toilet instead of my sofa i would.
I think that is the third person now that mention bad pop in with the PSN version.

360 version btw. I was expecting this but it's still sad. The first mission driving around the city (I'm exaggerating a little but..) almost felt like a slideshow to me. The IQ leaves a bit to be desired too. Again all things I was expecting but damn, I have a hard time dealing with sub 30fps these days. Getting used to it after a couple hours but this is not the way i wanted my first time with this game to play. If only there was a PC version. The game itself though seems like it's gonna be amazing. Haven't seen any pop in either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom