• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
PS3.

And after playing a bit more, the people saying this game is a solid 30 fps with just some slight dips are frankly full of crap. It is 30 fps occasionally, but it seems to be closer to 20 fps more than that. At least while driving in the city with a lot of cars around, which is most of what I've done so far. I would honestly say it's as bad as GTA IV much of the time. It does look a lot better, of course, but it doesn't really seem to run better when there's a lot going on. That said, it does reach around 30 fps when there's less going on, which certainly couldn't be said about IV!

I see a lot of drops too, not as bad as GTAIV but it's similar. Ah well, what can you do.

smr00

Banned
I just want someone here who has the PSN version to say its ok and maybe the few people who have complained maybe of downloaded some corrupt data or something.

So bummed out right now.

ViciousDS

Banned
I have both the PSN version bought and the physical version, sadly USA PSN store charges full amount immediately on pre-order unlike the UK store.......so lame. So I couldn't cancel my order in time, so i already double dipped and am basically going to continue using my physical disc that I've had the last 2 days. If the PSN version isn't that bad I might be able to give my buddy my physical copy......but that doesn't look like its going to be the case.

Artex

Banned
I wonder if the PSN pop-in issue is a result of HDD rpm's? You'd think there would be less of an issue as the game is installed fully onto the hard drive.

That is exactly what it is. Rockstar already said today not to install the play disc on 360 due to the way the game uses all available bandwidth (disc and HDD) to stream textures. Downloading the entire thing is exactly the same thing.

Main reason I ordered the disc version today from Amazon.

nikos

Confirmed both versions run like molasses. Game is trash. Move along, everyone, nothing more to see here.

Seriously though, review and stream footage looked OK to me.

MercuryLS

Banned
Before going to bed I will give this advice to presumptive buyers: avoid the PSN version. I am sure that reviewers/digital foundry were served nice bluray copies that utilize streaming from the hard drive and the disc drive at the same time, but the psn version clearly has pop in. Street lights and road signs pop in all the time. But also smaller buildings and other random stuff. Considering the digital nature of the game, there is no quick fix like the "avoid installing disc 2" thing on 360. Rockstar might fix this down the road, but who knows, maybe the PC version is out by then. Get yourself a disc based copy of the game or wait for PC.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree. It's got some agressive pop-in, during the intro where the camera pans around the city the pop-in was crazy. In-game it's not as bad. I think the disc version will run better.

Sounds like bullshit to me. Not a single review mentioned anything close to what those guys are saying.

If it wasn't so late (turned the game off) I'd take a video. It isn't bullshit.

If it isn't my 360 and this is how the game is there's no way it should have gotten the reviews it has.

I just want someone here who has the PSN version to say its ok and maybe the few people who have complained maybe of downloaded some corrupt data or something.

So bummed out right now.

From what R* stated with the Xbox 360 I would assume an install and physical disc would be better on the PS3 as well. Wouldn't the same technical problems arise on the PS3?

Honestly, I really want to see the digital foundry comparison now.

dubq

That is exactly what it is. Rockstar already said today not to install the play disc on 360 due to the way the game uses all available bandwidth (disc and HDD) to stream textures. Downloading the entire thing is exactly the same thing.

Main reason I ordered the disc version today from Amazon.

Do you think that a 7200 rpm drive will be any improvement? I actually have a Seagate Momentus XT SSD/HDD Hybrod (750gb) installed in my PS3, so maybe it won't be an issue for me after all..

Mr. Hyde

Is there a chance of not being able to find this at stores?? I'm assuming there will be tons of copies shipped.

I am going to assume it will be somewhere. I remember being in Best Buy on release day of GTA IV and seeing a huge stack of copies in the front aisle. Games like this are usually bought in large bulks. I am probably going to pick it up tomorrow morning at Target or Best Buy. I might eat crow but let us hope not :p

MercuryLS

Banned
I actually have the disc version coming tomorrow, I was going to return it and just stick with the PSN version. I think I'm going to keep it.

I'll compare the two versions back-to-back and post my findings.

Edit: Right now I'm driving around in a slow car and I see stuff like garbage cans popping in right as I drive next to it on the side of the road. I don't know if this is bad or normal because I don't have the disc version to compare it to.

ViciousDS

Banned
BTW maybe its my 7200rpm HDD that's helping a bit with the textures because I haven't had too many issues with the game....I mean its obviously 30 and under.

carlos

geez, going by the level of graphic snobbery, it seems no one here is old enough to remember living through N64 and PS1 times....

"bubububut the frame dips occasionally, bubububut some pop in"
gimme a break

Only the highest level graphic whores are going to notice differences between the two versions, and not one of the so called problems has any meaningful impact on gameplay or fun.

I thought that GAF was above this nitpicking, but it seems I have it all backwards.
(this rant is directed at no one in particular).

Norns

If it wasn't so late (turned the game off) I'd take a video. It isn't bullshit.

If it isn't my 360 and this is how the game is there's no way it should have gotten the reviews it has.

Did you install both disks to your 360? Because Rockstar said it was a bad idea.

Loudninja

geez, going by the level of graphic snobbery, it seems no one here is old enough to remember living through N64 and PS1 times....

gimme a break

Only the highest level graphic whores are going to notice differences between the two, and not one of the so called problems has any meaningful impact on gameplay or fun.

I thought that GAF was above this nitpicking, but it seems I have it all backwards.
I think it becomes a problem if the road pop in in front of you or buildings.

-MD-

gimme a break

Only the highest level graphic whores are going to notice differences between the two, and not one of the so called problems has any meaningful impact on gameplay or fun.

"graphic whores" and people that care about performance are two completely different kinds of people.

smr00

Banned

gimme a break

Graphics don't matter to me nor do occasional pop-in but if shit is just popping up left and right all over the place where as the physical copy doesn't? That's fucking unacceptable on all counts.

ViciousDS

Banned
For you guys saying input lag.....what TV are you running on? I would love to see your models........because there are only 5 TV's out there over 40 inches that have a total overall input delay of under 20ms including the input and tv response time.

people need to remember when buying a TV that the response time does not = input lag/delay.

Amir0x

Banned
oh god, framerate sounds disastrous. God I guess I should just wait for PC version, this sounds too bad to suffer through. I already felt GTAIV was basically that way on consoles so probably for the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom