• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Lol, was paying my preorder off for the special edition right now for midnight pickup and some guy there was getting abusive and was like no, I pre ordered the special edition but it only said regular edition. The girl working got the manager who's like sir, we sold out of the collectors and special edition in late July, you preordered 2-3 weeks ago when we had none even left, stop lying lol. Guy was so redfaced after that.

I just know midnight launch will be ridiculous. There was like 50 people right now just waiting to pay off preorders for tonight, who knows how many paid earlier or will come at night.

Exactly why I'm keeping my happy ass home and will just roll in and out tomorrow morning when they open. Besides, these posts regarding the game's performance are killing my buzz.

-MD-

oh god, framerate sounds disastrous. God I guess I should just wait for PC version, this sounds too bad to suffer through. I already felt GTAIV was basically that way on consoles so probably for the best

Waiting for the PC version just got much easier after reading through these last few pages.

DukeBobby

None of the reviews mentioned what a mess Skyrim was, either... =\

I'm pretty sure that Official PlayStation Magazine UK were the only ones to mention Skyrim's problems. They gave it a 7, I think.

They didn't seem to notice any problems in GTA V, though.

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't think any of them reviewed the PSN version. I hope someone compares the two (PSN vs. Disc).

yes, it will be DF or me and you will take the forums and bring justice to this issue...........time to hook up the Elgato for tomorrow lol....and the splitter to ignore HDCP XD

So how many people have said the PSN version has specific pop-in issues? Has anyone compared the retail and digital versions? I mean, I've seen some pop in on streams of both retail versions of the game.

4c40a68f4ee56bea2316cf1ecb3360de.png

I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get this today, it's still got to Dundee and then get in the post van :/

Loudninja

oh god, framerate sounds disastrous. God I guess I should just wait for PC version, this sounds too bad to suffer through. I already felt GTAIV was basically that way on consoles so probably for the best
I think this is the best we could ask for:

Well, no, it's not as bad as that at all. In certain sequences it seemed like it pretty much was (again, while driving in the middle of the city with a lot of cars around), but generally it's much better. As I said, it does reach and stay at around 30 fps quite frequently, and that certainly wasn't the case with IV. And even when it doesn't, it still looks hella better than IV ever did.

Haven't seen any noticeable pop-in at all yet, BTW (PS3 disc version, in case anyone wasn't aware).

geez, going by the level of graphic snobbery, it seems no one here is old enough to remember living through N64 and PS1 times....

"bubububut the frame dips occasionally, bubububut some pop in"
gimme a break

Only the highest level graphic whores are going to notice differences between the two, and not one of the so called problems has any meaningful impact on gameplay or fun.

I thought that GAF was above this nitpicking, but it seems I have it all backwards.
(this rant is directed at no one in particular).

Well the main thing for me is I have both consoles, so I would like to get the version that is going to give me the superior experience. If the PC version was available right now then this wouldn't even be an issue. Frame rare dips and pop-in can make or break a game for me.

It is hardly disastrous. Perfectly playable from my brief experience.

People seem to be exaggerating somewhat.

Ploid 3.0

I'm actually a bit worried about the PC version too. Rockstar made a bad port of GTA4. It will probably need a few patches, and a bit of brute force to get it to act right.

Gangxxter

It's amazing how this game is obviously designed to be streamed off a HDD and a disc simultaneously in order to function properly and still they've released a digital only version which will be only streamed off a HDD alone.

Well done R*, well done.

carlos

I think it becomes a problem if the road pop in in front of you or buildings.

streetlights seem to be the most common issue, and only on the download version; the road is always there, the textures on it are what's popping in. As for buildings, that seems to almost never happen, and if it does, it's with far away buildings, nothing that would affect gameplay.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if these people getting insane pop-ins on the PS3 version are running the *cough* version on there PS3 fully off the HDD......sure sounds like it to me.

doby

geez, going by the level of graphic snobbery, it seems no one here is old enough to remember living through N64 and PS1 times....

"bubububut the frame dips occasionally, bubububut some pop in"
gimme a break

Only the highest level graphic whores are going to notice differences between the two versions, and not one of the so called problems has any meaningful impact on gameplay or fun.

I thought that GAF was above this nitpicking, but it seems I have it all backwards.
(this rant is directed at no one in particular).

I have to admit I've never really noticed frame rate issues on consoles, maybe I'm just not that sensitive to it, or maybe its because I grew up playing pc games on woefully under powered pc's so i just have low standards when it comes to these sort of things.

Cant say I noticed it at all in GTA IV on PS3.

I don't get how people can pinpoint exactly how many frames a console is chugging out at any given time tbh.

are you guys sure there are issues? how could EVERY review site not mention it?

I can only speak for what I'm seeing. I watched a few video reviews earlier today and frankly, it doesn't even seem like the same game.

What the fuck. I waited over an hour tonight to get the game and I turned it off after half an hour because I'm convinced there is something up with it. Going to hook my 360 up to my monitor in the morning, besides the performance stuff the game just....doesn't look like the video reviews, screenshots etc

smr00

Banned
relaxingstream on twitch is using PSN and from what i have seen so far it has no more pop in then the disc stuff i have seen streamed which reinforces my corrupt data theory.

Either that or people complaining about the pop-in aren't used it. Done worrying.

valeo

Awww, was hoping it would be more similar to IV :(.

Just cause 2 didn't have particularly great driving. IDK, can't wait to get my copy!

Best driving = Burnout Paradise. They should just copy that.

And everyone knows no review site would dare rag on GTA V. Same shit happened with GTA IV, don't know why everyone is surprised they didn't call R* out on the issues.

-MD-

I'm actually a bit worried about the PC version too. Rockstar made a bad port of GTA4. It will probably need a few patches, and a bit of brute force to get it to act right.

Not really sure if it's the same team or anything like that but Rockstar's more recent PC port (Max Payne 3) was basically flawless. There's hope.

ViciousDS

Banned
relaxingstream on twitch is using PSN and from what i have seen so far it has no more pop in then the disc stuff i have seen streamed which reinforces my corrupt data theory.

Either that or people complaining about the pop-in aren't used it. Done worrying.

or the version they are using is not legit.....aka running a full disc off the HDD

which would be like running the 360 version with both discs installed.

NBtoaster

I had no framerate problems with the first mission where you drive around the city (360). I've noticed a few more drops in the missions afterwards though.

I always see GAF complain about crap I never see. I'm not to worried.

Loudninja

I can only speak for what I'm seeing. I watched a few video reviews earlier today and frankly, it doesn't even seem like the same game.

What the fuck. I waited over an hour tonight to get the game and I turned it off after half an hour because I'm convinced there is something up with it. Going to hook my 360 up to my monitor in the morning, besides the performance stuff the game just....doesn't look like the video reviews, screenshots etc
Sure your 360 isn't dying?

Not trying to be funny or anything just asking.

Amir0x

Banned
Ravensmash said:
It is hardly disastrous. Perfectly playable from my brief experience.

People seem to be exaggerating somewhat.

It's a standard line we're obviously divergent on.

20fps is "disastrous." 25fps is 'disastrous'. If you think using those terms to describe a game frequently at those levels is 'exaggerating', then you're probably fine with all that and think Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was totally flipping awesome with its frequent 20fps trips. That's cool.

But it's not really fine at all. Nor is frequently 20-25fps "perfectly playable", it's pretty "imperfectly playable" by definition. Nor is celebrating the fact that "well, GTAV sure gets to 30fps more than GTAIV did anyway! Huzzah!"

These are now things worthy of celebration, da fug! This shit is awful :(

Madness

One of my friends from the UK said it looks and plays much better than GTA IV ever did. So don't know what that will mean to a lot of folks.

I also think PC'ers not really used to under 60 FPS might notice the pop-in or framerate dips the most.

ufo8mycat

You should probably just leave the thread then, anybody who has the game already and is in here instead of playing probably only has negative things to say.

There's probably also a lot of PC people who were forced to buy it on console and the lower framerate seems much more jarring.

Thats the great thing about not being so sensitive to frame rate and graphical flaws :D

I just picked this game up today but won't be playing it until Friday (I want to use the weekend)

smr00

Banned
oh the version they are using is not legit.....aka running a full disc off the HDD
The guy just started how do you know that?

Making assumptions? I have yet to see any legit psn stream have massive pop in and until i do im calling bullshit. It's not even that i want the info to be false it's that nothing has been said by anyone but what? 2-3 people on GAF? Telling me that everyone who has access to it right now just hasn't noticed? Shit would be all over reddit at the very least. Seems like the 2-3 people that did complain either aren't console gamers or just aren't used to seeing pop in like this.

I had a conversation with 2 other people who have it legally and they said they haven't ran into any problems so i am done worrying about it. Maybe those 2 people i talked to lied and maybe every single stream i have seen with the digital version is pirated but i judge what i see.

I always see GAF complain about crap I never see. I'm not to worried.
I'm 99% sure the 3 people here that complained either don't play consoles, haven't played enough open world games or IV on consoles to be used to this kind of pop in or have corrupted data because NOBODY else is complaining.

It would be all over social media/reddit if it was THAT bad. And yeah, gaf blows everything out of proportion i don't know why i got all worked up to begin with because a big majority of people here think 20-30fps is unplayable and i have absolutely no problems enjoying games at those frames

Sure your 360 isn't dying?

Not trying to be funny or anything just asking.

I'm not sure of that at all, I said that earlier! I hope not, I can only say what I see. My issues are real, the reasons I don't know. My flatmate has the PS3 version so I;m going to look at his in the morning and see if it's noticeably different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom