• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

Oh ok, good.

Too bad that "alternative" control scheme still keeps L2/R2 for driving. Seems kinda weird and I don't like it at all.

Driving usually requires more than a binary, 'on or off' button. You can treat R2 like a pedal, and go full throttle, or let up on it.

I definitely prefer it to any other button.

Eusis

I'm still not understanding these complaints...

You're driving a car in a video game, gas and break on L2 and R2 have been pretty standard with those buttons for a while...
It's because those triggers are crap and the only reason they make any kind of sense is that they're a quick and dirty way to change the back buttons into triggers without otherwise overhauling the controller.

So I take it there's no X/O options? I'll deal, but it IS mildly disappointing.
Driving usually requires more than a binary, 'on or off' button. You can treat R2 like a pedal, and go full throttle, or let up on it.

It's a bit of a pain but the face buttons ARE analog, they even used this in GTAIII-SA.

Granted that won't be an option on PS4 and presumably going forward, but that has supposedly good triggers so it's not a big deal.

SirNinja

Visuals look fine to me so far. This R2 gas/ L2 break is killing me though.
Oh ok, good.

Too bad that "alternative" control scheme still keeps L2/R2 for driving. Seems kinda weird and I don't like it at all.

The hell? Those are the best possible buttons for brake/gas. They feel the most like the pedals on an actual car. To each his own, I guess.

Also, yay, finally got the PSN download to start! Though reading through the last ~25 pages has not been encouraging. I guess physical really was the way to go. :-/

TOYCOFFIN

Banned

Oh don't misunderstand me, I can get used to it.

But swapping from L1/R1 for fighting and shooting then popping back to L2/R2 spins me up in my little ole' head.

Cars turn super fast though. Gotta get used to this.

Eusis

Oh don't misunderstand me, I can get used to it.

But swapping from L1/R1 for fighting and shooting then popping back to L2/R2 spins me up in my little ole' head.

Cars turn super fast though. Gotta get used to this.
I doubt the rest of the control scheme accommodated this, but this actually makes a lot more sense for driving... so long as you could still aim and shoot with L1/R1 while driving. I get the impression that probably didn't happen however.
I'm not getting the complaints about driving with L2/R2. Didnt GTAIV have the exact same controls?
I wonder how likely it is that many of us went with 360 for GTAIV but went (back to?) Playstation for GTAV. I know I'm in that camp, got GTAIV and its DLC for 360, but am getting this on PS3 much like GTAIII-SA were PS2 games for me.

Aleph

Anyone else with the PSN digital version having the problems that people were talking about? (I am still downloading)

Edit: I'm now a GAF member... nice!

Norns

It's because those triggers are crap and the only reason they make any kind of sense is that they're a quick and dirty way to change the back buttons into triggers without otherwise overhauling the controller.

So I take it there's no X/O options? I'll deal, but it IS mildly disappointing.

It's a bit of a pain but the face buttons ARE analog, they even used this in GTAIII-SA.

Granted that won't be an option on PS4 and presumably going forward, but that has supposedly good triggers so it's not a big deal.

What? No idea what kind of point you are trying to make here.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm still not understanding these complaints...

You're driving a car in a video game, gas and break on L2 and R2 have been pretty standard with those buttons for a while...

Driving with L2/R2 is a problem now? WTF?

Have you never played a racing game before? This is odd to me. If it were anything other than L2/R2, I'd be the one complaining.

Really wow I love driving games with controls like that.

I'm not getting the complaints about driving with L2/R2. Didnt GTAIV have the exact same controls?

You could swap the driving controls to square and X in GTA IV. What's wrong with options?

It's not a huge deal, but is disappointing.

Eusis

What? No idea what kind of point you are trying to make here.
I meant for why the triggers were designed the way they were on DS3. Concave really just doesn't make sense for triggers and I think the DS3 is the only place you'll ever find them like that.

And I've tried trigger attachments before, they're way too damn steep for my preferences. Maybe there's better ones than the ones I tried (I didn't try the linked ones and may get just for the Analog nub covers) but the best solution is for them to have been designed right in the first place.

Omfg has anyone else watched
the lazer force show on the Internet?
It's insane and funny but I cannot believe it hasn't offended someone yet :D

GQman2121

Banned
The variety of strippers that hit the pole is pretty impressive. They say some pretty vulgar shit if you make it rain too. And then Britney's Gimme More comes on and she's goes "this is my song". Too funny.

Madness

Give me a fucking break. The line is like halfway down the parking lot where I am. At least 300+ people. Plus I'm near Vancouver so it smells like weed everywhere.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
I doubt the rest of the control scheme accommodated this, but this actually makes a lot more sense for driving... so long as you could still aim and shoot with L1/R1 while driving. I get the impression that probably didn't happen however.

I wonder how likely it is that many of us went with 360 for GTAIV but went (back to?) Playstation for GTAV. I know I'm in that camp, got GTAIV and its DLC for 360, but am getting this on PS3 much like GTAIII-SA were PS2 games for me.

Bingo.

This is it.

I played GTA4 on my 360 when I was a crazy Xbox fan. Swapped over to PS and now I'm just getting used to the different triggers for shooting and driving. And I have those trigger extenders too. No biggie. The writing so far is deliciously awesome.

Yerolo

I preordered, just picked up my copy and I received no code for the Blimp :(

Oh well, no doubt they will offer it as DLC at some point

Jhoan

Free beer at the Union Square Gamestop!? Jarmel, you're lucky for knowing friends of friends that are Rockstar employees. I'm a sucker for free beer. I had feeling that Gamestop was going to be a nightmare as opposed to Best Buy.

I saw a decent group of thugs lined up for it at the game shop in my neighborhood (Washington Heights) after I came out the subway.

And Four Lokos is god awful caffeine or no caffeine. Thinking about it makes me want to puke.

This thread moves fast! I predict that OT2 will be up by the end of today if not tomorrow now that the game is out.

Madness

d0BTQIo.jpg

Plus everyone here including me already paid the preorder in full too, so even there fast system has at least hundreds in line. This truly is amazing. Not even GTA 4 or Halo 3 had this kind of lineup.

Alright so I haven't followed GTAV at all really, have had almost zero hype for it.

Is it more like III, Vice City and SA or more like IV?
I couldn't stand IV. it was one of my biggest disappointments ever, I actually hated that game.
Gay Tony was the only thing I thought IV did right

Is any of the "silliness" and just over the top stuff from 3-SA back?

CF22

I've had the game for over 2 hours now and played through the first 3 missions. The driving is much more different to IV than I thought. It's not bad but it takes some getting used to, reminds me of Midnight Club LA. I still try to tap X to accelerate or press R2 to run with the confusion. The detail in the world is amazing, though I will let the missions take me to other parts of the island and explore then. My myopia is hurting my eyes somewhat so I'll have to use glasses to play better. Now time to go to sleep, my thirst was quenched.

Super slim ps3 owners, how's it running for you? Mine is constantly making a beeping sound (think its the hdd) Very annoying :(

This game is going to many ps3s crap themselves. And you thought TLOU was bad.

Amagon

Love the game so far but three complaints based on the PS3 version.

-Framerate seems to go to shit when driving in first person view
-I love the drive handling in the GTAIV but it definitely has change in this one. Don't know if its better or not but its noticeable.
-There is only one button to change the radio stations, and the listing of the stations goes by to quick to see whats playing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is it even remotely true or was it the typical PR-crap, that almost every mission has that awesome "feel" as Three Leaf Clover from GTAIV?

Fjordson

Alright so I haven't followed GTAV at all really, have had almost zero hype for it.

Is it more like III, Vice City and SA or more like IV?
I couldn't stand IV. it was one of my biggest disappointments ever, I actually hated that game.
Gay Tony was the only thing I thought IV did right

Is any of the "silliness" and just over the top stuff from 3-SA back?
From everything I've seen I'd say it's in between the two GTA eras.

It's heavier than the PS2 games, but not as serious as IV.

Of course people who have put a lot of time into will be able to give a more detailed answer, but that's the impression I get. Maybe Redbox it or something if you're unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom